• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
91 Days Episode 5:

Right then, seems we are done with the dreadfully boring road trip and shifting right back into the forthcoming gang war, I can get behind this.

Szadek

I watched EVA years ago, when I was like 16 or something, and I didn't like it very much.
Since it has been such a long time ago I should probably rewatch it, but I really don't want to.

QWGrU.jpg

If he was God then 3.33 wouldn't have been a shitpile.
But 3.33 was super fun to watch and really enjoyable.

javac

Ya'll making me more eager to re-watch it. I have a lot to say about the series, which might be the only thing making me hesitant, I won't know when to stop! Such an amazing series *looks over to the bookcase full of Evangelion bullshit*
Maybe after Utena :)

Line_HTX

which is fine :p

but I have been out right called stupid before by random strangers who don't know me at all for merely saying I dislike EVA.

Had someone at a convention (Who I had never talked to before) once go on a five minute rant about how I lacked comprehension skills and tried to explain EVA to me after merely overhearing that I didn't think EVA was that great lol.

EVA is serious business :p

Holy shit... I've heard of people at cons talking about it endlessly as if they were Star Trek or Doctor Who people, but this is ridiculous.

Clov

It was fun for that year, but Euphonium blows it out of the water.

What sort of comparison is this? "This character focused drama blows this laid back slice of life series out of the water." Apples and oranges.

Speaking of Ikuhara what were his seasons of Sailor Moon like? Never bothered with the anime (aside from catching a few random dub episodes), stuck to the manga.
Personal Ikuhara = Utena>Kuma>Penguin and i honestly can't remember enough of Adolescence to comment..

Sailor Moon S and Sailor Moon SuperS (seasons 3 and 4) are absolutely fantastic. Easily the best seasons in the whole series, and you can really see him starting to use some of those themes and motifs that recur throughout his later work. Sailor Moon R (season 2, which he started directing after episode 12 or so) is alright. Personally it's one of my least favorite seasons. The Sailor Moon R movie was also pretty fun, though it's nothing mindblowing.

On the topic of Adolescence of Utena, I love it! It's easily some of Ikuhara's best work; personally I think it's on par with the Utena TV series. I'd definitely put it somewhere in my top 20 anime films.

Line_HTX

Ya'll making me more eager to re-watch it. I have a lot to say about the series, which might be the only thing making me hesitant, I won't know when to stop! Such an amazing series *looks over to the bookcase full of Evangelion bullshit*
Maybe after Utena :)

I enjoy your writeups, so despite me not liking EVA, I don't mind!

:p

Is Monster Hunter Stories Ride On adapting a game or something (rather is the character going to be in it), the character designs for the anime and its style is selling me on wanting to experience an actual Monster Hunter for once

tumblr_inline_o7siciPIjs1sy10l2_540.jpg

Russ T

Banned
I reread The Great Gatsby recently, and geez, when you're reading it for yourself and not for some dumb English class where they're trying to make it seem way more profound than it actually is...?

It's a quick, fun read.

Fuckin' hated that shit in school, though.

Line_HTX

What sort of comparison is this? "This character focused drama blows this laid back slice of life series out of the water." Apples and oranges.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking. I meant to say K-ON since when K-On first came around I liked it, but then I went back to rewatch Lucky Star and I didn't get the same type of enjoyment anymore. I dunno, it's strange.

I reread The Great Gatsby recently, and geez, when you're reading it for yourself and not for some dumb English class where they're trying to make it seem way more profound than it actually is...?

It's a quick, fun read.

Fuckin' hated that shit in school, though.

Same thing happened to me with Catcher in the Rye.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nobody is obligated to like Evangelion, but to toss shade at it as some lumpy thing not worth investigating is so maligned with reality that you just wind up looking like a fool. It is a truly artistic endeavor backed by tremendous talent. Even beyond that, just the story of its existence and production is fascinating. NGE is probably the front-runner candidate for being the most influential anime in the last twenty years. If you cannot find a single shred of value here it is an admission of ignorance.

Like of all the garbage people post about in this thread...this is what you choose to take baseless pot shots at? This is what people have to watch bet to get through? Such a drag to see the mentality shift of this community manifest itself so bluntly.

zulux21

"baseless"?

O:

Pretty sure everyone talking about it right now has actually seen it!

I've seen it.
and for the most part meant what I have said >.>

though I will also admit it is amusing to rile up EVA fans :3

that being said I do plan on rewatching EVA soon. It's been a while, and with far lower expectations there is a decent chance I will find more enjoyment from it in a second watch.

javac

I enjoy your writeups, so despite me not liking EVA, I don't mind!

:p

Thanks, I think the best way for me to do it is to treat this as a long term thing, so instead of watching an episode and then writing about it haphazardly I'll instead spend a few weeks or so and then post each part piecemeal so I can get something more substantial out on a more regular basis, at least that seems like an interesting way to go about it. If anything it'll be a spiritual thing for me, to go back and rediscover this thing that shaped a large part of my life. I don't mean to over hype lol, I just feel like my writing style has become stagnant and I want to improve.

Line_HTX

Thanks, I think the best way for me to do it is to treat this as a long term thing, so instead of watching an episode and then writing about it haphazardly I'll instead spend a few weeks or so and then post each part piecemeal so I can get something more substantial out on a more regular basis, at least that seems like an interesting way to go about it. If anything it'll be a spiritual thing for me, to go back and rediscover this thing that shaped a large part of my life. I don't mean to over hype lol, I just feel like my writing style has become stagnant and I want to improve.

*Pretends to be an editor*

OMG, yer writing sux. Start over! Mwa-haha!

Nobody is obligated to like Evangelion, but to toss shade at it as some lumpy thing not worth investigating is so maligned with reality that you just wind up looking like a fool. It is a truly artistic endeavor backed by tremendous talent. Even beyond that, just the story of its existence and production is fascinating. NGE is probably the front-runner candidate for being the most influential anime in the last twenty years. If you cannot find a single shred of value here it is an admission of ignorance.

Like of all the garbage people post about in this thread...this is what you choose to take baseless pot shots at? This is what people have to watch bet to get through? Such a drag to see the mentality shift of this community manifest itself so bluntly.

Wait...what? I don't believe I took any potshots at Evangelion. I even wrote a big post above about how I felt about it. As I said above, I didn't love it but I don't hate it either, and I respect it for what it has done for the medium.

As for the watchbet, it was more me and Nintendoman betting each other shows that we both wanted to watch but could never find the time for. A nudge to watch some great stuff.

Nintendoman shows to watch:
Chihiyafuru
Hyouka
Your Lie in April

PshycoNinja shows to watch:
Steins;Gate
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Neon Genesis Evangelion

So it's not that either of us lost out on anything and didn't twist each other's arms to finish it fast. We both agreed to take our time with the shows and we've mostly enjoyed the shows we recommended each other. It wasn't done as an insult to Evangelion or any of the other shows we're watching.

Also, Evangelion was last on my Watchbet list so now I have watched the shows I have promised! Feels good.

javac

*Pretends to be an editor*

OMG, yer writing sux. Start over! Mwa-haha!

You joke but I really do need somebody to read my shit before I post it. I know NeoGAF posting isn't serious business but I sometimes read back on the stuff I wrote and wonder what I was thinking, reading your own stuff over and over again takes a toll!

Also I just wanted to post this because why not, from the Blu-ray:
When its too cold to film but your cinematography is on point.

zulux21

Also, Evangelion was last on my Watchbet list so now I have watched the shows I have promised! Feels good.

I should do a watchbet with someone again.

last time I did it to get someone to watch skip beat to try to drum up hype for the kickstarter.

part of me wants to get someone to watch Shura no Toki as it's a decent show that basically no one knows lol.

I am also tempted to get someone to watch HenSemi/henzemi but the only way I would do that is by taking on a questionable show myself. I would also need someone that likes prison school most likely as it's rather screwed up.

You joke but I really do need somebody to read my shit before I post it. I know NeoGAF posting isn't serious business but I sometimes read back on the stuff I wrote and wonder what I was thinking, reading your own stuff over and over again takes a toll!

Also I just wanted to post this because why not, from the Blu-ray:

When its too cold to film but your cinematography is on point.

as someone who has been writing on and off for 17 years, and for the last few months been putting in 20 hours a week writing....
yeah, reading your own stuff is hard.

I have three versions of chapter 1 of my story, all three of which feel vastly different lol... and I haven't even gotten to the editing stage yet @_@

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #15 The Disturbing Alien Message!

Was right about Katue though the hair made it a give away and her comments about her confusing memories or knowing things she ought not too

Interesting seeing how a crew of kids deals with a theme that even more mature fares in space exploration deal with in aggravating manner.

Also I always hate when the characters are like throw x off the ship, youre in space, how are you going to throw someone off?

I should do a watchbet with someone again.

last time I did it to get someone to watch skip beat to try to drum up hype for the kickstarter.

part of me wants to get someone to watch Shura no Toki as it's a decent show that basically no one knows lol.

I am also tempted to get someone to watch HenSemi/henzemi but the only way I would do that is by taking on a questionable show myself. I would also need someone that likes prison school most likely as it's rather screwed up.

Watchbets can be hit or misses. I've had good ones and bad ones. I like doing ones with Nintendoman because usually we both go in with the best intentions with shows we like.

But occasionally I get into ones where someone just wants to see my reaction to something and those ones...aren't fun for me.

Line_HTX

as someone who has been writing on and off for 17 years, and for the last few months been putting in 20 hours a week writing....

I have three versions of chapter 1 of my story, all three of which feel vastly different lol... and I haven't even gotten to the editing stage yet @_@

I know that feel. Even when I make a moderately long post with pictures I go back and look and I'm like... wait, that's not what I wanted to say, lol

javac

That sounds super rough but I have faith in you, it's usually worth it once you've done it. I find it hard to sit in one place but time away can often leave you absent minded. Even so, time away can sometimes be the best remedy, even if it takes a little longer.

pbayne

Sailor Moon S and Sailor Moon SuperS (seasons 3 and 4) are absolutely fantastic. Easily the best seasons in the whole series, and you can really see him starting to use some of those themes and motifs that recur throughout his later work. Sailor Moon R (season 2, which he started directing after episode 12 or so) is alright. Personally it's one of my least favorite seasons. The Sailor Moon R movie was also pretty fun, though it's nothing mindblowing.

On the topic of Adolescence of Utena, I love it! It's easily some of Ikuhara's best work; personally I think it's on par with the Utena TV series. I'd definitely put it somewhere in my top 20 anime films.

Cool. Im sure id love it like the manga if i got into it but it is one of those "fuck man 200 episodes!" mountains that are hard to build yourself up for.
(Skulks back to watching Gundam Wing and Macross 7 lol)
. One day itll happen.

On Adolescence its been so long since i watched it i remember someone tried to show me the dub to refresh my memory and i couldn't pay attention because i was laughing too hard. But the weird thing is the more i think about it, that scholky, theatrical, campy over the top dub fits the series perfectly in a way. Except for Utena's voice which is just bad. Seriously should re-watch it some day though..

zulux21

Watchbets can be hit or misses. I've had good ones and bad ones. I like doing ones with Nintendoman because usually we both go in with the best intentions with shows we like.

But occasionally I get into ones where someone just wants to see my reaction to something and those ones...aren't fun for me.

I tend to try to make a bet both parties will enjoy.

at the very least someone should be able to find some enjoyment from the show they are watching.

hen zemi would be like the worst show I would maybe bet on someone, but I would only really do it to someone who looks into it and doesn't think it sounds horrible. though the description on MAL doesn't really cover it all that well.

I know that feel. Even when I make a moderately long post with pictures I go back and look and I'm like... wait, that's not what I wanted to say, lol
In my case it's often my comedy that gets me in trouble. In my sleep deprived state when I wrote it the lines seemed funny, but when I get back to it... it's just a... what a dick, reaction lol

the main reason I have 3 vastly different versions though is the first was very very old and updated with version 2, and version 2 got outdated as I decided I wanted to do some different things in the second arc, so I had to go back and make everything work together.

I do need to figure out how to data dump better though :p
That sounds super rough but I have faith in you, it's usually worth it once you've done it. I find it hard to sit in one place but time away can often leave you absent minded. Even so, time away can sometimes be the best remedy, even if it takes a little longer.
we will see, I am embarking on a project that is way to big for my own good, and I really can't help it because even if I try to do a smaller project I just want to do this one so i said screw it and just went for it.

Russ T

Banned
i don't have time for watch bets

i barely even watch stuff from my backlog anymore, let alone what other people tell me to watch

i been watching too much western tv lately

caught up on supernatural, currently watching last season of person of interest, watched first season of dark matter, still need to watch game of thrones, started a norwegian show called occupied, and also penny dreadful

how do i even live with myself

Clov

Sorry, I wasn't thinking. I meant to say K-ON since when K-On first came around I liked it, but then I went back to rewatch Lucky Star and I didn't get the same type of enjoyment anymore. I dunno, it's strange.

That's a bit more understandable. They're both pretty laid back slice of life series, so that's definitely a more valid comparison.

Even then, I feel like they're trying to do different things as slice of life anime. K-ON really gets into the relationships between the characters, and it also has the whole "passing of the torch" angle in the second season with a big part of the main cast graduating. Lucky Star on the other hand, for better or for worse, is just amusing snippets of the lives of its characters. Personally I find it very charming.

Cool. Im sure id love it like the manga if i got into it but it is one of those "fuck man 200 episodes!" mountains that are hard to build yourself up for.
(Skulks back to watching Gundam Wing and Macross 7 lol)
. One day itll happen.

On Adolescence its been so long since i watched it i remember someone tried to show me the dub to refresh my memory and i couldn't pay attention because i was laughing too hard. But the weird thing is the more i think about it, that scholky, theatrical, campy over the top dub fits the series perfectly in a way. Except for Utena's voice which is just bad. Seriously should re-watch it some day though..

It's easier to break it into chunks. I watched seasons 1 and 2, and then I ended up watching the rest around two years later.

As for Adolescence, it's definitely worth a rewatch. Can't wait for RightStuf to finally release those BDs!

Taruranto

Are we talking about the same road trip that they fought a giant with a beagle and entertained kids?

Some people just hate fun.

http://webm.land/media/tmp/0adf8985-41a5-42d5-b017-e34dbc09de0d.webm

The show could definitely use more scenes likes these, it's interesting to see Angelo approach to situations that don't involve his revenge. (His reactions to "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing" when the kids approached him was a pretty interesting piece of characterization, I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom