• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

i don't have time for watch bets

i barely even watch stuff from my backlog anymore, let alone what other people tell me to watch

i been watching too much western tv lately

caught up on supernatural, currently watching last season of person of interest, watched first season of dark matter, still need to watch game of thrones, started a norwegian show called occupied, and also penny dreadful

how do i even live with myself

I've been watching a bit more american cartoons recently. (log horizon is the first anime I have watched in a bit, and part of that was hoping for some inspiration for my writing. I haven't gotten any, but I am not minding the show either.)
Steven Universe is great.
Star vs the forces of evil has a good first season, the second season has been meh so far but is looking better.
The Loud House in general is enjoyable, it's not anything special, but it does give me a rugrats feel of kids just having fun and being crazy.

I'll do a "my shit for your shit" watchbet trade with anyone and match episode for episode, lol.

yeah yeah, you are likely my top target to do a bet with right now just because I have a really good idea of what you like and don't like so can easily recommend something that you could like but haven't looked at :p

you ever hear of a show called Kaleido Star :p?

ibyea

Banned
Heh, that Eva discussion. Anyways, chiming in to the topic, I get it. Like when I watched it, I freaking detested the ending. But at the same time, I feel like it is good to examine stories beyond "does it entertain me?" and "does it make me happy?". Not saying you have to examine Eva super deeply, but you know, not every story is trying to evoke good feelings.

Are we talking about the same road trip that they fought a giant with a beagle and entertained kids?

Ive liked their trip, he became so expressive.
CpHcpnXWEAAs6hx.jpg:small

javac

Speaking of Eva and Anno, I really REALLY want to watch Shin Godzilla more than anything at the moment. Shit better come to UK theaters, I don't want to wait for the BD. Likewise for The Red Turtle. Please.

People always get so defensive when folks don't like Eva.

I mean I recognize its cultural significance but lord knows I have no desire to ever watch it again even if I remember jack shit about it.

I love dank parodies though.

yeah yeah, you are likely my top target to do a bet with right now just because I have a really good idea of what you like and don't like so can easily recommend something that you could like but haven't looked at :p

I don't ever have to watchbet cornbread because we fundamentally like the same anime. Clannad? Amazing! Your Lie in April? One of the best. So when I like a show and say he will like it, he usually does. And it works vice-versa, too.

Heh, that Eva discussion. Anyways, chiming in to the topic, I get it. Like when I watched it, I freaking detested the ending. But at the same time, I feel like it is good to examine stories beyond "does it entertain me?" and "does it make me happy?". Not saying you have to examine Eva super deeply, but you know, not every story is trying to evoke good feelings.

This is basically where I am at right now.

Is kadocha, cardcaptor sakura, fuushigi yugi, and sailor moon s uncut anime/manga suitable for a 5 year old girl? I think cardcaptor sakura had young lesbian and old/young male gay hints or something?

zulux21

I don't ever have to watchbet cornbread because we fundamentally like the same anime. Clannad? Amazing! Your Lie in April? One of the best. So when I like a show and say he will like it, he usually does. And it works vice-versa, too.

This is basically where I am at right now.

oh that is the main reason why I would bet him just to pass on a show I am pretty sure he will like while likely being motivated to watch one I will likely enjoy :p

the least likely person I could see myself watch betting with.
Admiral Woofington

but that is mostly because I am a cat person.
that and we rarely seem to see eye to eye even though they aren't a disagreeable uh... person... dog.... Creature, that is it Creature :p

Is kadocha, cardcaptor sakura, fuushigi yugi, and sailor moon s uncut anime/manga suitable for a 5 year old girl? I think cardcaptor sakura had young lesbian and old/young male gay hints or something?

you can imply those themes in cardcatpors but they wouldn't be apparent to a 5 year old. The 4 kids version as meh as it is would be a safe watch for that as they removed a lot of stuff.

kadocha I would like to say would be fine, but I feel a lot of the themes are aimed a bit older than 5 more like 10.

the other two I can't say for sure.

Narag

Subtext in S would go over her head and no to Fushigi Yuugi as there's a fair bit of violence in it.

Qurupeke

Is kadocha, cardcaptor sakura, and fuushigi yugi uncut anime/manga suitable for a 5 year old girl? I think cardcaptor sakura had young lesbian and old/young male gay hints or something?

Cardcaptor Sakura was one of that shows I watched on Sunday mornings when I was really young. But I really remember almost nothing about it. Your main concern should be violence, but I don't think it was leaning that way, so maybe go for it. I'm pretty sure she'll like it.

Cardcaptor Sakura was one of that shows I watched on Sunday mornings when I was really young. But I really remember almost nothing about it. Your main concern should be violence, but I don't think it was leaning that way.
They cut things tho. I'm not sure how much young relatiomship hints they have. It's not anout homosexuality it's about age of characters.

Like between the male protagainst sakuras rival or whatever and sakura's brother or her brother's friend.

Cornbread78

Magical Index ep.1
I don't remember who's rec this was or why, but I decided to give it s go since I'm almost done Bebop now. So far, there's a weird loli magician, a crazy middle school girl esper and a HS MC who has a useless esper power which gives him nothing but bad luck... What am I getting myself into here?

Quasar

People always get so defensive when folks don't like Eva.

I mean I recognize its cultural significance but lord knows I have no desire to ever watch it again even if I remember jack shit about it.

Going to admit I've never watch any more than part of one episode way back when. It didnt attract me then, and since I got into anime I never felt the need to go and watch it. Probably because of what I know of it now and its significance. Certainly I recognise that, just as I do Akira which I never was into. But again at this point its memories from when I wasnt a anime fan.

Of course looking at my anime history, its filled with significant and/or supposedly loved by everyone anime (such as most ghibli films, bebop, the shonen jump triumvirate to name three) that I was either meh on or so uninterested in I don't see myself ever watching. Not quite sure why that is...I mean if you look at my western media tastes its not hurrendeous esoteric or iconoclastic. Its pretty mainstream really.

Neijmaki 5

This show continues to impress, I feel more here should be watching it. Visually it isn't anything special, but the tone, lead characters and military aspect have been hitting it out of the park in a semi-fantasy setting. This episode we had the obligatory 'how we met' flashback episode, which was enjoyable. Two childhood friends without romantic tension is fantastic. Even if secretly they're into each other there's no unnecessary anime blushing and romantic comedy crap.

For cardcaptor sakura in the anime the hints are too small so a 5 year old should not notice. They are a bit more apparent in the manga but I really don't think they are a problem really.
If it's the teacher/kid relationship your talking about it's not in the anime but it is implied a bit in the manga.

The anime is also the better version go for that.

Ascheroth

Neijmaki 5

This show continues to impress, I feel more here should be watching it. Visually it isn't anything special, but the tone, lead characters and military aspect have been hitting it out of the park in a semi-fantasy setting. This episode we had the obligatory 'how we met' flashback episode, which was enjoyable. Two childhood friends without romantic tension is fantastic. Even if secretly they're into each other there's no unnecessary anime blushing and romantic comedy crap.

Yep, the chemistry between Ikta and Yatori is absolutely fantastic.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Ep. 2

So many dangers that earthquakes can be used for. There are aftershocks, which are seemingly random and can be used at any time in the narrative. Obviously there's infrastructure damage, which presents it's own challenges.

Something in particular that I liked about this episode was the use of backgrounds and architecture. After the earthquake there are obvious changes, like cracked windows and broken stone and wood. But something I liked was how everything in the episode felt like it was off-center or off-balanced in a way.

Jarmel

Banned
Aleramin-5

This was kinda stupid due to how smart these wolves were. What the fuck. They were giving each other lifts.

Magical Index ep.1
I don't remember who's rec this was or why, but I decided to give it s go since I'm almost done Bebop now. So far, there's a weird loli magician, a crazy middle school girl esper and a HS MC who has a useless esper power which gives him nothing but bad luck... What am I getting myself into here?

I hope you like the OP cause Kawada Mami is a musical goddess. PSI-Missing is still one of the best anime songs.

Also Touma KAmijou is the best.

jgminto

Amanchu 5
I'm not sure if I can believe high schoolers have enough whimsy to draw an entire undersea chalk mural in an afternoon. The twins are a fun addition, if Big Sis wore heels and a leather outfit she'd probably be MetroidPrimeRib's kind of girl.

This reminds me of the image I saw on Twitter claiming that Edgar Allen Poe meant nothing more by his poem "The Raven" than that ravens were neat. Really, anti-intellectualism can be taken to such ludicrous extremes.

That just seems more like an outright refusal to acknowledge any kind of subtext. Poe is like what middle schoolers read to understand subtext. (no offense to Poe.)

Death of the author is such a fascinating subject to me, if only because it makes a huge fundamental difference in how one approaches criticism of an artistic work and yet it's impossible for different views on the matter to be reconciled in a way that satisfies anyone.

It's interesting to think about but its not an idea I subscribe to or even like. I used to think Barthes was difficult until I read Derrida - it also helped to know that my peers and sometimes even my professors didn't fully accept or understand the material, like quantum mechanics. I've definitely read stuff that seemed like the author themselves didn't know wtf they were talking about and were presenting a half baked idea.

On one hand, claiming to know what the author's intentions were regardless of context can lead to a new or unique view.

On the other hand, psychologically the author will insert things that they themselves didn't intend, but regardless it is part of the narrative.

Amanchu 5
I'm not sure if I can believe high schoolers have enough whimsy to draw an entire undersea chalk mural in an afternoon. The twins are a fun addition, if Big Sis wore heels and a leather outfit she'd probably be MetroidPrimeRib's kind of girl.

actually think leather is pretty tacky tbhh

duckroll

Death of the author is such a fascinating subject to me, if only because it makes a huge fundamental difference in how one approaches criticism of an artistic work and yet it's impossible for different views on the matter to be reconciled in a way that satisfies anyone.

I don't think it's impossible. It's only impossible if you're a stubborn person who is only interested in arguing over a concept rather than discussing the art itself.

When it comes to intent of narrative or intent of character, it is very important to pay attention to the evidence in the text itself, rather than extrapolate from possible metaphors. Regardless of how you feel about death of the author, it just makes sense that when dealing with specifics - things which either are or aren't, there has to be evidence in the text to support it.

But moving beyond that, once there is evidence in the text to support the intent of a scene or a motivation, it is totally acceptable to look for poetic accompaniment in a scene that enhance that intent or highlight it in other ways. Some of this will be clearly intended by the author. Some of this might not. It can be a coincidence, but that doesn't change the point - that it existing as it is, with the intent already established and supported by the text, is an effective means of enhancing and/or highlighting that intent further.

Let's take that stupid curtain example. Is the character in fact depressed and lacking the will to carry on? Can this be established in the text ignoring the color of the curtains? If it can, then recognizing that the color of the curtains in the scene being the color they are, with the knowledge of what mood and feelings that color represents in general, will provide the conclusion that the curtains being blue in the scene is fitting thematically, because it accurately reflects the feelings of the character. Why is this useful? Because regardless of the author's intent itself, this example can teach us how the setting of the scene can enhance the emotional state of a character using color psychology. What a student can learn from this is that the same techniques can be applied in future in works of their own, with intent. Knowledge is power.

No English teacher of any worth will draw a conclusion on a character's state of mind -entirely- from the the color of curtains in a scene without anything else establishing that intent. So that's a really dumb example to begin with. :p

Dungeons and Puppets 5

Man they blue-balled the shit out of me with that interruption lmao, here's where I joke they ran out of
puppet fighting and special effects
money.

God damn, I mean yeah it's still interesting but I was looking forward to it.

Jarmel

Banned
But moving beyond that, once there is evidence in the text to support the intent of a scene or a motivation, it is totally acceptable to look for poetic accompaniment in a scene that enhance that intent or highlight it in other ways. Some of this will be clearly intended by the author. Some of this might not. It can be a coincidence, but that doesn't change the point - that it existing as it is, with the intent already established and supported by the text, is an effective means of enhancing and/or highlighting that intent further.

Let's take that stupid curtain example. Is the character in fact depressed and lacking the will to carry on? Can this be established in the text ignoring the color of the curtains? If it can, then recognizing that the color of the curtains in the scene being the color they are, with the knowledge of what mood and feelings that color represents in general, will provide the conclusion that the curtains being blue in the scene is fitting thematically, because it accurately reflects the feelings of the character. Why is this useful? Because regardless of the author's intent itself, this example can teach us how the setting of the scene can enhance the emotional state of a character using color psychology.

I think the other thing worth taking into consideration is the skill of the author/creator as well. For example if the creator isn't known to be as detailed oriented enough to take into consideration color psychology then chances are they aren't likely in that case to be using it. There will usually be a pattern either in the text itself or the creator's history. For example I wouldn't expect appropriate color usage mimicking a character's mentality from Alan Taylor compared to David Fincher. However that's less about the scene itself but rather crediting the director/author with due accord.

Cornbread78

Okay, I watch Clannad as you keep asking me to watch it for a while so, I want you to watch Divergence Eve series.

In the 24th Century, Intergalactic Space Travel has become a reality. One of the first outposts in the far reaches of space is WATCHER'S NEST - an inflation hole drive portal - which has recently come under attack by a mysterious force known simply as GHOUL... A group of young female cadets assigned to the portal are unexpectedly thrown into a hornet's nest of trouble as they finalize their training to become an elite pilot in the Seraphim Squadron

Hmm, dude. That's got a 6 rating on MAL. That might be worse than Green Green, lol. Clannad is all 9's!

Neijmaki 5
Even if secretly they're into each other there's no unnecessary anime blushing and romantic comedy crap.

So much this... I mean, we see how they are in the future and even if they "hook up" later, the tsble has alreasy been set for him to be done "sewing his wild oats" and ready to settle down. It would feel like a nature relationship developement over tine that was obtaibed through personal growth.

I hope you like the OP cause Kawada Mami is a musical goddess. PSI-Missing is still one of the best anime songs.
Also Touma KAmijou is the best.

I'll keep that in mind.

duckroll

I think the other thing worth taking into consideration is the skill of the author/creator as well. For example if the creator isn't known to be as detailed oriented enough to take into consideration color psychology then chances are they aren't likely in that case to be using it. There will usually be a pattern either in the text itself or the creator's history. For example I wouldn't expect appropriate color usage mimicking a character's mentality from Alan Taylor compared to David Fincher. However that's less about the scene itself but rather crediting the director/author with due accord.

"Skill of the author" is completely dubious. It's an intangible formed by opinions and interpretations and will vary from person to person. The art of critique has to be based on the work itself and not what people think of the author. It is a huge mistake to have preconceived notions when discussing a work, because you color your view of the work with your perception of the author. It should -never- be taken into consideration, because the point of art is that if something works, it works. If you look at something and have interesting things to say about it, but then turn the label around and realize to your horror that the creator is seen as a dumb hack, and then change your mind about what you have to say because of that, you are not being honest.

Mailbox

Magical Index ep.1

I highly enjoyed both seasons of index and both seasons of railgun. I honestly think you'll enjoy it :)

Just as an fyi though, I've only ever seen it dubbed (not because I couldn't watch the sub, rather I just really liked the dub).

91 Days 5
I still love the shots in this show.

I expect the show to start time jumping at some point. Because there's no way in hell they have 91 episodes and we're still in day 5. Probably once they reach a major milestone it'll skip like 80ish days as they rise the ranks and he plans his attack?

Looks like things are heating up. Alliances dissolve, new ones are made, and
betrayal
shows its ugly face. Just like my HBO mafias animes.

Before I knew it the episode was over. 5 episodes in and still amazing. Here's to my AOTS and probably top 5 AOTY candidate continuing doing well.

John Blade

Hmm, dude. That's got a 6 rating on MAL. That might be worse than Green Green, lol. Clannad is all 9's!

That's why I would like to see how you react about the show. It would be interesting to see how you try to understand what the creator want to make this show and what make it even weird, the Japanese audience love it somehow that it come out a sequel for this.

Still, will be great to see what you think about it.

Mailbox

That's why I would like to see how you react about the show. It would be interesting to see how you try to understand what the creator want to make this show and what make it even weird, the Japanese audience love it somehow that it come out a sequel for this.

Still, will be great to see what you think about it.

Just looked at the MAL page for this thing and the synopsis on the page...

Is this the full anime version of fucking "Mars of Destruction" ?! Because it fucking sounds like it is.

Jarmel

Banned
"Skill of the author" is completely dubious. It's an intangible formed by opinions and interpretations and will vary from person to person. The art of critique has to be based on the work itself and not what people think of the author. It is a huge mistake to have preconceived notions when discussing a work, because you color your view of the work with your perception of the author. It should -never- be taken into consideration, because the point of art is that if something works, it works. If you look at something and have interesting things to say about it, but then turn the label around and realize to your horror that the creator is seen as a dumb hack, and then change your mind about what you have to say because of that, you are not being honest.

I view that as being impossible as you're always going to have preconceived notions going into a work. You're not going to expect an Adam Sandler film to be to the same standard as Edgar Wright. As such I believe acknowledging that is important. Now if there's contradictions of your opinion or notions then that also should be taken into consideration. The problem people run into is not adjusting their opinions based on new or relevant information. There is nothing wrong with a work turning out to be much better than expected despite the director/creator. Under/Over-reading a text is very much a thing. Even if the text is there to support a connection or theme, that doesn't mean that connection/theme was intended.

duckroll

I view that as being impossible as you're always going to have preconceived notions going into a work. You're not going to expect an Adam Sandler film to be to the same standard as Edgar Wright. As such I believe acknowledging that is important. Now if there's contradictions of your opinion or notions then that also should be taken into consideration. The problem people run into is not adjusting their opinions based on new or relevant information. There is nothing wrong with a work turning out to be much better than expected despite the director/creator. Under/Over-reading a text is very much a thing. Even if the text is there to support a connection or theme, that doesn't mean that connection/theme was intended.

I think you're completely missing the point I was making. My point is that there is no such thing as under/over-reading a text when it comes to appreciating thematic harmony. What is important is first understanding what the intent of the text is. There has to be direct evidence of that. But once the intent is understood, making connections that support that intent further do not require intent, it only requires relevance. Which means if it works, it works. Is it intended? Who cares? By acknowledging that it works, and appreciating that, we build the vocabulary of our literary senses. This makes us more aware of what sort of thematic expressions work and how elements can harmonize each other. Did the person putting that together intend all that? Maybe, maybe not, but that's not important.

This is about how we can reconcile the approach of death of the author with the approach of needing to know authorial intent. It's easy, we just need to understand where the importance of authorial intent ends. It ends once the base intent is clear. If the intent is not clear, then anything drawn from it is completely subjective with no proven basis. It doesn't mean the reading is invalid, just weak. On the other hand if the intent is clear, then there isn't really such a thing as "over reading" it when we look for how things work together to enhance that intent. It becomes recognition and appreciation of how it all fits together, regardless of authorial intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom