• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Thunderbolt Fantasy Episode 5

Okay, good, we have the entire team assembled and now we can move the plot forward.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 1

Decided to watch this on a whim on Hulu. I can sympathize with how Mirai feels, wonder how the earthquake is going to affect everybody.

Everybody has that Hajime Ichinose V-bird smile from Gatchaman crowds

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 19:

Oh yea, this arc still is not very good.

Alderamin on the Sky Episode 5 – Two in One
CpHQc6AWEAERfJ8.jpg:small

Best episode yet. Their kid designs are so good.

Cornbread78

Quick question because I might be screwed here on Moribito...

It used to appear on Crunchyroll, but is not there all of a sudden?!

Does anyone happen to have a link for NA and EU?

javac

Come on, Evangelion isn't perplexing, why does everyone always act so confused at the end! The last two episodes are amazing. Still need to get around to that BD re-watch.

blurr

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05

Man, I don't know how I didn't consider that the Screaming Phoenix Killer will become part of the group haha. The lengthy back and forth with the glorious dialogue is something I can't seem to get tired of for some reason.

Taruranto

Neon Genesis Evangelion 26 [Watchbet] [END?]
giphy.gif

I. Don't. Understand.

What did I just watch? Did they just run out of time and go "ah fuck it, let's just screw around"? These last few episodes just feel like a collage of just...ugh. I can't even think straight right now.

Yeah, yeah, but what did you think of episode 24?

egkoZq5.jpg

Exalted

Alderamin on the sky episode 5

This entire episode was a flashback to Ikta and Yatrisino when they were children. Am usually not a fan of such episodes, but this was still enjoyable.
Those were really smart wolves in this episode.

Come on, Evangelion isn't perplexing, why does everyone always act so confused at the end! The last two episodes are amazing. Still need to get around to that BD re-watch.

The tone shift certainly throws one off when it breaks from reality to going into the innards of Shinji's little fragile mind and him spending two episodes convincing himself that he doesn't completely hate himself and trying to "find himself."

Edit: it's certainly perplexing in the moment. Maybe after watching everything over and watching the additional movies and discussing for years it may not seem that perplexing in the grand scheme of things. But for a first-time viewer in the moment expecting a resolution to the show, it is a bit perplexing.

Cornbread78

Alderamin in the Sky ep.5
dBX5PWy.jpg

Those wolves are amazingly smart man... Outside of the over-the-top intelligence of those wolves, this was a great look back into Ikta's and Yotari's past and how they came to be. You would think these types of episodes are boring but the action presented in this one made it a pretty fun experience.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Alderamin Episode 5:

It seems my lamentations about last week were maybe a bit on the hasty side as I see people are starting to discover this program. Anyway, time for a flashback episode showing how Ikita and Yatori first met and even back then thy rather fit the idiom of their personalities. One thing that annoys me is Ikita doesn't seem to consider, at least in the past, that Yatori clearly wants to become a solider above and beyond her family linage. Indeed I suspect that if Ikita was not himself the vicim of circumstance he would perhaps enjoy the irony of him becoming an officer and a gentleman.

Ascheroth

Thunderbolt Fantasy #5

Party member getto! Had some nice banter between MC guy and Killer dude, but I hope we can now get to something a bit more interesting now that the party is assembled.

DiU #19

Shigechi is such a little shit. I always like how Araki always manages to make even the seemingly useless stands pull some crazy moves within the scope of their power. The Harvest-mobile was lol.

Alderamin #5

Flashback about how Ikta and Yatori met. Was both cute and awesome.
In other words, great show continues to be great.

I don't think TV Evangelion is that complex either. I think it has that reputation for being really complex but its not that perplexing to figure out what stuff means, kinda like Eraserhead.

End is a bit different. It's no Adolescence of Utena but End is a lot to take in

John Blade

The tone shift certainly throws one off when it breaks from reality to going into the innards of Shinji's little fragile mind and him spending two episodes convincing himself that he doesn't completely hate himself and trying to "find himself."

Edit: it's certainly perplexing in the moment. Maybe after watching everything over and watching the additional movies and discussing for years it may not seem that perplexing in the grand scheme of things. But for a first-time viewer in the moment expecting a resolution to the show, it is a bit perplexing.

I would recommend to watch Dual Parallel! Trouble Adventures as it's much easier to watch and have a similar feel of Evangelion but minus all the odd stuff from the show. It's the best way to feel better after what you watch.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think TV Evangelion is that complex either. I think it has that reputation for being really complex but its not that perplexing to figure out what stuff means, kinda like Eraserhead.

End is a bit different. It's no Adolescence of Utena but End is a lot to take in

End is easier to understand than the final two of TV Eva. Largely because the TV series completely blindsides you.

End of Evangelion [Watchbet End] [END]

**********MAJOR SPOILERS THROUGHOUT POST************

Notes of thoughts throughout film:
- Jesus Christ, Shinji. Not everything is about you. She is clearly not getting up for you.
- Did he just do what I think he did? What the fuck man!? What is wrong with you!?
- Oh. These NERV guys again.
- Guess Misato is fine. I had no idea what happened to anyone at the end of the series except for the shattering of Shinji's mind apparently.
- Well. At least we're not in the fragile abyss of a mind that is Shinji Ikari anymore.
- So... STEELE is trying to take over or destroy NERV. I can get behind this. Seems interesting so far.
- This is super messed up.
- Okay, as messed up as this is, it's super interesting to see it unfold. Mankinds greatest enemy is itself. It's an interesting theme to play on.
- "Kill or be killed". Yeah, girl. Turn off the safety. Would suck to see you die.
- Episode 25...what? No. Why?
- Uh. That person surrendered. Why shoot them like a million times. Jesus, this is a massacre.
- Shinji...we had a whole series dedicated to you manning up. Why are you being like this now?
- Okay. Misato is a badass.
- Sooo...mankind itself is an angel. That's...okay. Sure.
- You're gonna be fine Asuka...just...do something. All these children. I swear.
- Yes! YESSS!
- Go Asuka!
- Oh man. This is cool! Go girl!
- Other...Evas!? Oh shit.
- Shinji...your useless. You got Misato shot you idiot.
- Just give up on him. He doesn't deserve you Misato.
- Whaaaaaat!? Come on, Misato. Jesus Christ. This kid deserves none of this.
- If Misato dies I will hate this forever. That's a promise.
- Yup. I think I hate this forever.
- Asuka is still cool.
- Shoot him.
- Yup. That'll do it.
- Ugh, just die Shinji. Good God...
- The fuck did that Lance come from.
- Oh shit!
- OH SHIT!
- Spines don't bend like that, Asuka.
- Okay... If Asuka is dead because of Shinji, I will fucking hate this show forever. The little shit.
- What? I thought this was a movie? Why are there credits already.
- If the point of this was to make me dislike Shinji more, then it succeeded.
- This Ikari family is pretty messed up.
- Episode 26? Is this trying to retcon the last two episodes of the series or something?
- Yes, Shinji. This is what your indecision has cost.
- Welp, Third Impact it is.
- Hahahahaha. Commander Ikari you idiot. You royally fucked up now.
- These people are gonna need some serious therapy. Especially that one chick who is just breaking down at the sight of Super Rei.
- Well, Shinji's snap. Shinji is no longer here at the moment.
- No... No, no, no. Not this shit again. I don't care how Shinji feels anymore. I don't care. Just get on with it!
- o_O
- Those kids are terrifying.
- Oh Shinji...thinking about sex while the world is going to shit. Nice touch. (._. )
- What the shit? This kid is so beyond repairing.
- What the fuck is happening?
- What?
- I don't even...
- Did the budget run out again?
- Too much realism.
- "I don't understand." I'm with you there Shinji.
- Reality vs Fantasy. The great battle.
- Oh. Okay.
- I mean. I guess that's one way to get your message across.
- Okay...
- What? Why are you choking her?
- What?
- WHAT!? Come on...
- I don't even.
- Nothing after the credits.....................fuck.

convo

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 19:

Oh yea, this arc still is not very good.

This isn't an arc but buff boys making trouble in the neighborhood. You seem extremly down on things not progressing the plot though as if it's never going to get anywhere.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This isn't an arc but buff boys making trouble in the neighborhood. You seem extremly down on things not progressing the plot though as if it's never going to get anywhere.

I just didn't care for this storyline, this has happened before for me and Jojo.

convo

I just didn't care for this storyline, this has happened before for me and Jojo.

You don't even have to upsell these episodes as a storyline to begin with, it's just some weird shit that happens on the side. Even fans will call this flavour more than anything too substantial.

Diamond is Unbreakable 19

They are doing Cinderella first? Makes sense, I guess.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 05

Necromancer lady is so good lmao

Still can't get over this mother fucker being named SCREAMING PHOENIX KILLER.

Why would anyone watch Eva when they can watch Utena instead, anyway?

End > Utena TV > Eva TV > Adolescence. But I should probably rewatch Adolescence.

I don't think the show is bad, it's just that it's overrated that should not stand the test of time after 20 years.

EoE is the best anime of all time

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What is the point of comparing Eva to Utena? Other than to say that people should obviously watch both. Or that the directors of both have a weak legacy compared to the people that inspired them.

Yeah, yeah, but what did you think of episode 24?

egkoZq5.jpg

I don't think that happened. My thoughts on episode 24 are a few pages back. Had a rant on it but I overall enjoyed the episode but wish they expanded more on that episode than...what they did.

I would recommend to watch Dual Parallel! Trouble Adventures as it's much easier to watch and have a similar feel of Evangelion but minus all the odd stuff from the show. It's the best way to feel better after what you watch.

I should probably get back to applying for work. Wasted too much time watching this as I did. Will probably start up a watchbet again when I find work.

Now you know how it feels to watch a masterpiece

I am still trying to pull together how I feel about the show and movie still. However, masterpiece is not the word that is coming to mind. It was fine for what it was. Still decompressing what I saw. May change a bit, it may not.

Now watch Dual Parallel! Trouble Adventures to cleanse this from your mind.

Probably just rewatch something familiar to cleanse my mind. But again, probably should get back to applications.

javac

What is the point of comparing Eva to Utena? Other than to say that people should obviously watch both. Or that the directors of both have a weak legacy compared to the people that inspired them.

That and the fact that Anno and Kunihiko Ikuhara clearly love each other.

javac

End of Eva is the best. Even the TV Spots (headphone warning) makes me giddy. The whole endeavour is just this one big cohesive experience from beginning to end, from the incorporation of live action scenes to the use of the now iconic Matisse EB font, its slick and oozing with identity, one that feels as if it came from the mind of a single person even if the whole franchise is ultimately the brainchild of a whole team of talented individuals. Nothing even comes close.

Sölf

Time to go back to video games.

This reminds me that I still have to watch the second season of Robot Girls Z.

Alderamin 05
That was nice. Even though it was pretty... "strange"... to have these hyper intelligent wolves. But that aside, I really liked this episode. While it's not my AOTS, it this continues to be as good as it is now, it will definitly be one of the stronger shows this season. I am pleasantly suprised by this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom