• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutting edge indeed.

Why you should watch it:
7U1qYa5.gif
animation

91 Days Episode 5
No Jacket on Nero.
download.png

To Jacket.
download_1.png

Back to no Jacket.
download_2.png

That fumble aside, it was an okay episode. Mostly a set up episode, but the set up was decent. Nero's brother is a real dick, who apparently think he's hot shit. Fango is perhaps not as crazed as he seems. And I'm willing to bet Corteo is gonna die next episode. Because that's the role he's been handed in this show.

Taruranto

91 Days Episode 5

That fumble aside, it was an okay episode. Mostly a set up episode, but the set up was decent. Nero's brother is a real dick, who apparently think he's hot shit. Fango is perhaps not as crazed as he seems. And I'm willing to bet Corteo is gonna die next episode. Because that's the role he's been handed in this show.

I'll be honest, the lack of jacket is the last thing bothering me about the middle image...

Mailbox

Magical Index ep.3

(Sensei's pjs with magic girl inside, lol(
A drinking and smoking loli looking sensei wuth magical powers huh? I guess this is early mana sharing, lol.

This is pretty interesting stuff, I'll give it that.

I honestly think you should be switching over to the dub. It seems like you might be either missing some info that passes by or are misinterpreting stuff that's going on (wasn't gonna say anything, but the same thing happened in your episode 2 post) :S

people still use apps? videos play in browsers on modern smartphones.
You can't with stuff like crunchy or funi (they direct you to their apps)

in any case, Funi's app is an unstable cluttered mess, but crunchy's app is quite good. Also: Crunchy's Windows store app is actually quite good. Outside of a couple of episodes that just don't play for some reason, the cpu load is significantly better and playback is smoother (as far as i can tell)

Tuck

About 2 minutes into the second episode of Alderman.

Like it a lot so far, though I have to wonder... are we supposed to be rooting for these characters? They just murdered 3 enemy soldiers. Except the enemy soldiers didn't seem like bad guys. They were willing to give a random stranger asylum. Sounds like a lot of people flee from the empire, not the other way around?

Of course I'll have to keep watching to see for sure, but that scene suggests that the main characters might be on the wrong side.

Or at least are just heartless motherfuckers.

I honestly think you should be switching over to the dub. It seems like you might be either missing some info that passes by or are misinterpreting stuff that's going on (wasn't gonna say anything, but the same thing happened in your episode 2 post) :S

You can't with stuff like crunchy or funi (they direct you to their apps)

in any case, Funi's app is an unstable cluttered mess, but crunchy's app is quite good. Also: Crunchy's Windows store app is actually quite good. Outside of a couple of episodes that just don't play for some reason, the cpu load is significantly better and playback is smoother (as far as i can tell)

funi lets you play in the browser

So fafner watching is ridiculous

Funimation has: fafner and fafner Heaven and earth
Daikusi has: fafner Right or left
Crunchyroll has: fafner Exodus

that's ridiculous

I wonder how well the translations of all of them mesh together and whether terminology matches throughout. It's already hilarious that the original and Heaven and Earth have a completely separate dub cast.

If I recall correctly, this is the same person who wrote the Kotaku article claiming that the new Berserk anime looks better than the 1997 anime, so I would just chalk this one down to poor taste.

Nah, part of the desperate fan acceptance spiel is to put down previous stuff as being "not very good, actually" so that the new thing seems less shitty.

/XX/

I don't know if anyone's suggested it yet, as this is several pages back, but I highly suggest reading some Eva Wiki stuff. Particularly pages like this one which is about the ending.
Indeed. Sadly, it still bothers me that the incomplete state of the FGC prevents the incorporation into the new 'wiki' of some of the old interesting commentary by Reichu for key scenes of episodes after the 7th one it didn't reach yet (or won't ever at this point)... apart from other stuff less "appropiate" in a more serious and general project. Worth a read too!

Persona 3 The Movie #4 -Winter of Rebirth-

It was pretty good.

The entire first half centers around the December month, so if you weren't a fan of it in the game, you won't like it here either. The 2nd half is all on 31st and the action is servicable. Nyx is rendered in CG, which is honestly kinda jarring, but that's the only real complaint.
Ending is just as ambiguous as it was in the game, maybe even more so. If someone who never knew about The Answer played this, they'd probably think it was a happy ending, rather than a bittersweet one.

All and all, the series of movies was a solid adaption. I'd put it slightly above with P4 the Animation since this is actualy well animated. I consider that a good thing since I actually like P4 the Animation.

Goddamnit I forgot about this. Idk if I'm ready to see the ending. We're they going to animate The Answer too? I'd be pretty excited to watch that since I pretty much (and I bet the vast majority of folks as well) didn't finish the whole thing and just went on YouTube to watch the ending.

I wonder how well the translations of all of them mesh together and whether terminology matches throughout. It's already hilarious that the original and Heaven and Earth have a completely separate dub cast.
Well I watched the first two dubbed and the other two subbed and the translations did not really confuse me so it must have meshed pretty well together.

Cornbread78

About 2 minutes into the second episode of Alderman.
Like it a lot so far, though I have to wonder... are we supposed to be rooting for these characters? They just murdered 3 enemy soldiers. Except the enemy soldiers didn't seem like bad guys. They were willing to give a random stranger asylum. Sounds like a lot of people flee from the empire, not the other way around?
Of course I'll have to keep watching to see for sure, but that scene suggests that the main characters might be on the wrong side.
Or at least are just heartless motherfuckers.

Not really at all. Ikta is always playing the odds to find the best chance at survival. They are in enemy territory and there was a fear of them recognizing and capturing the princess.

Wait, what am I missing? Sensei may not have magical power and was just having her mana channeled, but what was I missing?

Mailbox

Not really at all. Ikta is always playing the odds to find the best chance at survival. They are in enemy territory and there was a fear of them recognizing and capturing the princess.

Wait, what am I missing? Sensei may not have magical power and was just having her mana channeled, but what was I missing?

Nothing so crazy, it all gets explained and re-explained later anyway. (It's explained in better detail (through implication) as to why it had to be the teacher who did the procedure)

Also the explanation of what magic and espers are is a bit obtuse and it can be pretty easy to be lost.

Edit: what you missed (it'll be reiterated later) is:
-that the MC is a level 0 esper; his ability isn't "normal" nor is it an esper power. He has no esper powers
-people who have esper powers can't use magic (again, this is explained again later)

I also may have misinterpreted something in your prior posts.

kewlmyc

Goddamnit I forgot about this. Idk if I'm ready to see the ending. We're they going to animate The Answer too? I'd be pretty excited to watch that since I pretty much (and I bet the vast majority of folks as well) didn't finish the whole thing and just went on YouTube to watch the ending.

It was rumored, but it seems that it's not happening. I'd watch a movie about The Answer though. It's better than playing it.

Cornbread78

Nothing so crazy, it all gets explained and re-explained later anyway. (It's explained in better detail (through implication) as to why it had to be the teacher who did the procedure)

I also may have misinterpreted something in your prior posts.

I kinda being a smartass about sensei having magical powers, lol. Dodn't they specifically choose her since she had zero special abilities to interfere with the mana channeling/magic usage? That pat was a little fuzzy because they threw a bunch of world building/rules at you all at once and never fully explained about how she could lose her mind from the procedure.

Tuck

They could have incapacitated the soldiers with ease. Or at least injured them. They chose not to.

In particular, one guy got his skull slashed in half.

It was a tad excessive.

Regardless, I'm really liking the show. Like... a lot. MC is great. Plot is super engaging so far.

Mailbox

I kinda being a smartass about sensei having magical powers, lol. Dodn't they specifically choose her since she had zero special abilities to interfere with the mana channeling/magic usage? That pat was a littke fuzzy vecause they threw a bunch of world building/rukes at you all at once and never fully explained about how she could lose her mind from the procedure.

You'll see why later.

Well I watched the first two dubbed and the other two subbed and the translations did not really confuse me so it must have meshed pretty well together.

Off the top of my head, I do remember small inconsistencies from Funi to CR, like how the Human Force was re-translated as Human Army, and some smaller instances of how characters referred to the Fafner name. Might have been some more.

So how has Orange been?

I'm really liking it. Hamasaki is doing unusual things with the direction that make it interesting to watch beyond the usual low-key character drama. The sense of editing in the show is particularly unique. There can be a lack of polish in some of the character art, likely due to the usual rushed schedule, but that hasn't seriously impacted my enjoyment.

It was rumored, but it seems that it's not happening. I'd watch a movie about The Answer though. It's better than playing it.

Damn that's disappointing. But hey I'll take what I can get. I didn't get my P3Platinum, at least I got this to revisit the story of one of my favourite games of all time.

So how has Orange been?

Eh. Okay I guess? I'm a huge fan of SoL stuff but this one is just alright, doesn't seem like anything out of this world, even with its time thing going on. It's also pretty damn shoujo.

Tuck

Aldermain - 4
I said god damn.

Last third of the episode was fantastic. And the first two thirds was pretty damn great too.

Quasar

That at least would hide the shit funimation translation a bit. Still annoyed I was forced to apply damn fansubs to my bluray. Sissy is not anything like a translation for oooonnnneeeeeeeeee-sama.

blurr

ahaha, an "authorial intent" debate soon after someone watched Evangelion - very nice

I mostly agree with what duckroll said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom