• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Was that supposed to be Asuka or Misato?
I assume the main girl who wakes up beside the guy was Asuka, since I have to imagine that this fits in before Shinji pulls Asuka out of instrumentality.
(In my mind the guy is Gendo's actor because it would be funnier due to all the oedipal stuff people read into the show)

But I don't know what any of the voice actors look like, so Asuka could be the neighbour for all I know.

Cornbread78

Magucal Index ep.2
tumblr_inline_my8xfhp2sp1ridk8o.png

Well damn, shit got crazy real fast here. Nice battle with the mage that ended with a smart victory because the dudes esper power is really bad. I guess I'm going to learn all about the diffrences between magic users and espers, lol.

One of the most important things when interpreting a work is making sure you don't have a predetermined framework that you're trying to force the work into instead of letting the work speak for itself. If you have a one-size-fits-all lens that you use to interpret everything, you're going to be distorting most everything you look at and in the process seeing a much smaller world than there is in reality. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's what duckroll means when he talks about trying to not have preconceived notions.

John Blade

Just looked at the MAL page for this thing and the synopsis on the page...

Is this the full anime version of fucking "Mars of Destruction" ?! Because it fucking sounds like it is.

I didn't watch Mars of Destruction so no comment if it's the same but from the synopsis, it sound different. Divergence Eve basically come down to this. You follow this group of girls who was send to this space station which build around a planet in a way. For some reason, this planet have this weird lifeforms which attack the people on the space station. The girls you follow are basically cadets who was train to be an elite team to take down this life form. This sound as generic as you can be which it's but what make the show special (
or bad I have to say
) is how they make you think this show might be some sort of fan service show. Unfortunately, this is a lie and it's very serious and dark and do go into physiological side of the main characters of the show.

Too many things didn't answer well which kinda answer a bit in the sequel. Character development is as two dimensional to the point you don't care too much about them when shit hit the fan even though they is one which make me realize I am not brave enough to watch those stuff. Also, if you think about it a bit, how stupid this government space force is when they build the space station as it will be the 1st thing you think when you found out more what the space station also carry.

I will go on a bit but I think I keep it quiet. I would like Cornbread78 to watch it and maybe he can throw me a bad average show to watch and we can go from there.

You know something is wrong when you see pics of the show look different of what you expect to be when you go watch it.
174388_s2.jpg

Alderamin - 05

This continues being one of the, if not THE, strongest anime this season. I'm glad that more and more people are beginning to take notice and started watching this.

End of Evangelion [Watchbet End] [END]

- Shinji...we had a whole series dedicated to you manning up. Why are you being like this now?
- If the point of this was to make me dislike Shinji more, then it succeeded.
- No... No, no, no. Not this shit again. I don't care how Shinji feels anymore. I don't care.

See, the whole series was not dedicated to Shinji manning up. Quite the opposite actually.

The key thing that Evangelion absolutely nails is human nature. No matter how erratic and strange some people may be in this show, they all have very realistic reason as to why they ended up that way.

Along with that, Evangelion primarily subverts a lot of Super Robot tropes. Instead of Shinji becoming more of a man as the series progresses, he gets worse and worse. Fighting the Angels takes such a huge mental toll on him and (nobody with the exception of Misato before the end of the series) is really there to offer him any support because they all have problems of their own to deal with.

By the end of the show he's so mentally broken that he just can't take it anymore, and it's why episode 26 (EoE version) is so gut-punchingly sad.

I'll be honest, I was just as confused as you were watching this for the first time. But the more I think about it, as a fan of both mecha and anime, the more fondly I remember it. Is it one of my favourites? Not really.

I prefer Gurren Lagann 10000000x more than I prefer Evangelion. But it's definitely an experience I recommend to people who've seen a lot of anime.

See, the whole series was not dedicated to Shinji manning up. Quite the opposite actually.

The key thing that Evangelion absolutely nails is human nature
. No matter how erratic and strange some people may be in this show, they all have very realistic reason as to why they ended up that way.

Along with that, Evangelion primarily subverts a lot of Super Robot tropes. Instead of Shinji becoming more of a man as the series progresses, he gets worse and worse. Fighting the Angels takes such a huge mental toll on him and (nobody with the exception of Misato before the end of the series) is really there to offer him any support because they all have problems of their own to deal with.

By the end of the show he's so mentally broken that he just can't take it anymore, and it's why episode 26 (EoE version) is so gut-punchingly sad.

I'll be honest, I was just as confused as you were watching this for the first time. But the more I think about it, as a fan of both mecha and anime, the more fondly I remember it. Is it one of my favourites? Not really.

I prefer Gurren Lagann 10000000x more than I prefer Evangelion. But it's definitely an experience I recommend to people who've seen a lot of anime.
I don't get how you can say it nails human nature when it overwhelmingly focuses only on the negative aspects of people

Jarmel

Banned
I think you're completely missing the point I was making. My point is that there is no such thing as under/over-reading a text when it comes to appreciating thematic harmony. What is important is first understanding what the intent of the text is. There has to be direct evidence of that. But once the intent is understood, making connections that support that intent further do not require intent, it only requires relevance. Which means if it works, it works. Is it intended? Who cares? By acknowledging that it works, and appreciating that, we build the vocabulary of our literary senses. This makes us more aware of what sort of thematic expressions work and how elements can harmonize each other. Did the person putting that together intend all that? Maybe, maybe not, but that's not important.

This is about how we can reconcile the approach of death of the author with the approach of needing to know authorial intent. It's easy, we just need to understand where the importance of authorial intent ends. It ends once the base intent is clear. If the intent is not clear, then anything drawn from it is completely subjective with no proven basis. It doesn't mean the reading is invalid, just weak. On the other hand if the intent is clear, then there isn't really such a thing as "over reading" it when we look for how things work together to enhance that intent. It becomes recognition and appreciation of how it all fits together, regardless of authorial intent.

Right, I'm referring to cases where the intent of the text/work isn't clear. There's deliberate cases and also unintentional ones as well. Blade Runner is probably the most infamous case with all the conflicting information. A more anime relevant example would be Kill La Kill, with people citing it to be feminist and female empowering. In which case I believe looking at the creator's history to establish a pattern is important. Obviously the text/work is the most important indicator of a theme but there are plenty of times where that is murky due to scriptwriting or directorial incompetence.

Now I guess you can't say a particular theory/analysis is invalid but I don't think any weight should be put behind it as a result. One primary example I'm thinking about is the Minority Report theory. There's a good amount of evidence for it but I don't put any weight behind it because Spielberg isn't that sort of director.

what more people it's just the few of us watching it lol

I've seen close to 10 people from the group of folks that watch the weekly stuff post about it over the weeks. On MAL the number also went up much higher in viewers and ratings. Of course you can't put it against something like Re:Zero (45,716 vs 220,276), but I remember seeing the viewers at less than half of that just 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Mailbox

what more people it's just the few of us watching it lol

I fully plan on watching this and mob psycho 100 later in the season, I just have my hands full the last couple of... well weeks i guess. I need to figure out my scheduling and timing of specific things better, but I'll get around to watching stuff :3

Hamst3r

End of Evangelion [Watchbet End] [END]

I don't know if anyone's suggested it yet, as this is several pages back, but I highly suggest reading some Eva Wiki stuff. Particularly pages like this one which is about the ending. And if you watch the Rebuild movies, Google image search "Evangelion Theory" to get those ideas in your brain too. I find the explanations and theories make Evangelion more enjoyable.

Time Travel Girl 3

Huh, they're actually showing that Ben Franklin owned slaves, something often conveniently left out of history books. I wonder how they'll portray his vie-

Okay then!

You know for a show all about teaching kids about science, I imagine this episode would make quite a few historians pull their hair out. Franklin never owned a slave named John.

I fully plan on watching this and mob psycho 100 later in the season, I just have my hands full the last couple of... well weeks i guess. I need to figure out my scheduling and timing of specific things better, but I'll get around to watching stuff :3

your promises mean nothing to me

empty words like toast without strawberry jam

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think you're completely missing the point I was making. My point is that there is no such thing as under/over-reading a text when it comes to appreciating thematic harmony. What is important is first understanding what the intent of the text is. There has to be direct evidence of that. But once the intent is understood, making connections that support that intent further do not require intent, it only requires relevance. Which means if it works, it works. Is it intended? Who cares? By acknowledging that it works, and appreciating that, we build the vocabulary of our literary senses. This makes us more aware of what sort of thematic expressions work and how elements can harmonize each other. Did the person putting that together intend all that? Maybe, maybe not, but that's not important.

This is about how we can reconcile the approach of death of the author with the approach of needing to know authorial intent. It's easy, we just need to understand where the importance of authorial intent ends. It ends once the base intent is clear. If the intent is not clear, then anything drawn from it is completely subjective with no proven basis. It doesn't mean the reading is invalid, just weak. On the other hand if the intent is clear, then there isn't really such a thing as "over reading" it when we look for how things work together to enhance that intent. It becomes recognition and appreciation of how it all fits together, regardless of authorial intent.

There's a conflict between New Critics and New Historicists in terms of how to read a text (which in part is why we had Post-Modernism and Post-Post-Modernism, because the uncertainty of certainty because the lens to view things through for a while), so it's something that isn't readily reconciled when people have been working on this for the last 100 years.

Here's where I stand though, for what it's worth. Authors are "Gods" in the literal sense, inasmuch as they have absolute power over everything in the world that they create. Assuming the author isn't a total hack, most decisions will be calculated - who is the main character? Where is the story set? Does the character go through a dramatic arc? Then there will be the authors who care very much about the words that they choose (or the medium-relevant equivalent of "words") in order to provide details that both convey mise en scene but also thematic, metaphorical, or allegorical meaning. If author says that a character has a unkempt beard, the fact that the beard is unkempt could be a physical manifestation of the character's psychological or internal state. Maybe he's too tired or distracted to be bothered to shave or trim his beard. Maybe he's a slacker who is fine with not looking perfect. Maybe he's purposefully anti-establishment in not trying to conform to grooming standards. It matters in as much as you, as a reader, have to think why the author would use that adjective in the first place. Because the author could have used any other adjective, or none at all.

Of course this assumes that you as a reader trust that the author has carefully considered the words that they have written onto the page - not in the narrative sense, but in the idea that the author has crafted the story to convey a certain meaning.

In a way, prose writers have the most power of all creators because they can tell you exactly what they want to tell you and have exacting control over every single element of a story.
(I'd probably suggest that musicians are a close second).

I think where people get hung up is with film or other visual media, particularly those that are collaborative, because first there's the obvious question of what an author means when you have a production that is led by a single person but in which dozens if not hundreds of people are responsible for the end product. And then there are production realities that conflict with the actual story, but we have to basically just ignore them because it's clear that the story asks us to see the world as presented on screen as a metaphor and not to be taken literally.

The most obvious example would be that The Lord of the Rings is not set in New Zealand, despite the fact that it was filmed there and that someone who is native to New Zealand probably recognizes all of the locations that they used in the film. Most recently, Boston was used as a stand-in for NYC in the new Ghostbusters, but just because you might recognize Boston in the text doesn't mean that the film has suddenly transported the characters to an entirely different city.
(Vancouver, meanwhile, is a shitty hellscape that everyone wants to escape from, so Star Trek Beyond is set in the real world in that regard :p)

I can understand the allure of suggesting that a text can be over-read, because human nature is to look for the "Occam's razor" solution to every problem and sometimes a blue curtain is a blue curtain (say, the movie producers found a house to shoot their film in but the home owners demanded that nothing be changed, at which point the set designer/director might compromise and keep the blue curtains due to a production reality rather than any real desire to have blue curtains in a scene). But the issue is that if we can agree that there is a way to "misread" a text, that means that a text CAN be read in the first place.

Or, I guess the tl;dr would be that a skilled author carefully chooses their words/images/sounds to convey a particular meaning that can be interpreted through a multitude of critical lenses. Particularly in the 21st century, when you can't ignore the fact that these lenses exist and where something as simple as the gender of your main character is going to be a point for critical readings of your text (again, the new Ghostbusters).

Clov

As long as you can provide solid reasoning behind your interpretation of a text, you're good. Authorial intent is important, but it's secondary to the people who interpret the work in the first place. We get to decide what each work means for us. That's why the whole "blue curtains" example is silly; as long as that person has evidence from the text itself to support their claim, who cares if the author meant it to be symbolic? It all came together regardless. The whole thing to me is basically saying, "stop thinking about media". It's ridiculous.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As long as you can provide solid reasoning behind your interpretation of a text, you're good. Authorial intent is important, but it's secondary to the people who interpret the work in the first place. We get to decide what each work means for us. That's why the whole "blue curtains" example is silly; as long as that person has evidence from the text itself to support their claim, who cares if the author meant it to be symbolic? It all came together regardless. The whole thing to me is basically saying, "stop thinking about media". It's ridiculous.
Yeah, that's the other thing that I just took as axiomatic - if you are a critic of a text, you provide evidence to support your interpretation. This can be drawing from other examples in the text - perhaps the author uses blue in other instances. It could be metatextual, in that either the author likes to use blue curtains in all their works and they have similar meanings in those works or it could be a cultural reference that the author assumes the reader would share.

Mob Psycho 100 4

Ed39V7n.jpg

Give me all the Dezaki postcards, please.

Mob really is desperate for a girl, isn't he?

Especially with this episode presenting Teru as a contrasting psychic to Mob, Mob Psycho is starting to get into one of the most interesting thematic dimensions for an action story to examine; namely, what drives people to resort to or resist violence and how their attitudes towards violence affect their overall lives. This is something I appreciated about many of the serious stories in Samurai Champloo as well. I enjoy seeing well choreographed, creatively visualized action for its own sake, but I also appreciate having the character roots of that action examined as well.

91 Days - 05

Based OP. Might be my favourite this season from the stuff that I am watching.

91 Days also continues being excellent. My worst fear was that this show would at some point fall down and become anime as shit. Hasn't happened yet. Avilio continues being a suave and smart, yet murderous protagonist going out for blood. He is being trusted on quite a lot, and this is earning him a ticket to off his targets all at once.

duckroll

Right, I'm referring to cases where the intent of the text/work isn't clear. There's deliberate cases and also unintentional ones as well. Blade Runner is probably the most infamous case with all the conflicting information. A more anime relevant example would be Kill La Kill, with people citing it to be feminist and female empowering. In which case I believe looking at the creator's history to establish a pattern is important. Obviously the text/work is the most important indicator of a theme but there are plenty of times where that is murky due to scriptwriting or directorial incompetence.

Now I guess you can't say a particular theory/analysis is invalid but I don't think any weight should be put behind it as a result. One primary example I'm thinking about is the Minority Report theory. There's a good amount of evidence for it but I don't put any weight behind it because Spielberg isn't that sort of director.

I think Blade Runner is an interesting example because it actually highlights some of what I'm saying. There is actually no disagreement about the thematic meaning behind Blade Runner. What people get hung up on is whether Deckard is a Replicant. The disagreement is about the reality of the fact, not the thematic purpose behind it. Is Deckard a Replicant? Maybe, maybe not. Did Ridley Scott intent for him to be a Replicant, then change his mind, then change his mind back with each cut? Maybe, maybe not. But there is one constant. Is Blade Runner about paranoia and the disturbing possibility that Deckard himself could be a Replicant without him even knowing it? Absolutely. No matter what cut you watch, that uncertainty is there and it drives the theme. Whether Deckard is in fact proven to be a Replicant or not is immaterial to the story being told, so why does it matter that much?

Kill la Kill's example also strikes me as approaching the question wrong. The question should not be "is KLK feminist and empowering" but rather "is KLK effective as a feminist narrative and does it successfully empower women". I feel the intent here is again less important than the effect. Feminism is a movement, not a genre. Regardless of intent, a work can be positive or negative for a movement if it covers related themes. So the answer is out of the author's hands here. Even a work intended to be feminist in nature can be rejected because it fails to understand the actual needs and desires of the movement.

91 Days - 05

Based OP. Might be my favourite this season from the stuff that I am watching.

Really? I find this difficult to fathom. 91 Days OP is pretty much a mess, with no sense of logical editing or flow and seemingly just random footage strung together. It's nowhere near as well constructed as the Battery OP, let alone the Mob Psycho 100 OP.

Really? I find this difficult to fathom. 91 Days OP is pretty much a mess, with no sense of logical editing or flow and seemingly just random footage strung together. It's nowhere near as well constructed as the Battery OP, let alone the Mob Psycho 100 OP.

Nah wasn't talking about the video, I've mentioned before, it sucks. Should have made it clearer. The song is what rocks!

Jarmel

Banned
Thunderbolt Fantasy -5
This was fantastic, probably some of the best stuff Urobuchi's written since Fate/Zero. It reminded me of Fate Zero King's Banquet in how the characters were presented through the dialogue. Urobuchi can be really good with banter and it comes through here with Shāng Bù Huàn and Screaming Phoenix Killer. The VAs also did a good presenting Shang's weariness or SPK's eagerness, yet also reigning it in. Both of them know where this is going but are savoring the moment as well.

This was really fucking good as it fleshes out Shang Huan in a subtle but meaningful way instead of just being the tsundere.

I assume the main girl who wakes up beside the guy was Asuka, since I have to imagine that this fits in before Shinji pulls Asuka out of instrumentality.
(In my mind the guy is Gendo's actor because it would be funnier due to all the oedipal stuff people read into the show)

But I don't know what any of the voice actors look like, so Asuka could be the neighbour for all I know.

Lol. Would be interesting if Asuka was the neighbor. I think the girl was Misano because Ritsuko called her and I don't think Ritsu would call Asuka.

The key thing that Evangelion absolutely nails is human nature. No matter how erratic and strange some people may be in this show, they all have very realistic reason as to why they ended up that way.

I feel like I disappointed you with my reaction. Hahaha.

All that was literally what poped in my head as I was watching. So obviously it's not very analytical. Though I do like Shinji's progress throughout the series. While there may be justifications as to why his character acts the way he does, and there are, doesn't mean I have to like him or his character. Like you put it, he goes from an average character to as weaker and weaker character as the show continues.

See I didn't find any of it sad. Just extremely messed up. I hate when characters think of themselves that way because at one point I thought those same things of emptiness and loneliness and spite. Yet I got over them. Seeing someone constantly beat themselves up and "hate" themselves, while something that does happen, does not make me want to root for said character. Especially when they are given every tool to try and succeed.

I dunno. Shinji's character bugs me. No one else in the show does on the level Shinji does. And I don't think I should be expected to like him. I can empathize, but I don't have to like him.

I don't know if anyone's suggested it yet, as this is several pages back, but I highly suggest reading some Eva Wiki stuff. Particularly pages like this one which is about the ending. And if you watch the Rebuild movies, Google image search "Evangelion Theory" to get those ideas in your brain too. I find the explanations and theories make Evangelion more enjoyable.

May look into this at a later time. Still letting this sink in.

javac

Although a movie or a show itself has its own motivations and messages ultimately delving too deeply into that rabbit hole can often be something of a fool’s errand, to miss the point. When it comes to film I often appreciate the 'fleeting feelings' that they bring forth and so just because a film or a show decides to forgo the standard template for story telling doesn’t mean that a story can’t be formed from your viewing. Likewise whether or not the blue curtain has been placed there intentionally is irrelevant. In the end it often comes down to one question, instead of trying to figure out just what it means or what was the intent, the question is how does it make you feel? People often spend so much time and effort trying to assign meanings to things to such a degree that they often forget to hold on to the feelings that the work manages to conjure up in the heat of the moment. The author too is human after all and so it’s not implausible that the subconscious may come into play here. Meaning, if blue truly is seen as a colour that conjures up sad feelings, whether or not the author intended for this connection to be made is beside the point because if you the viewer makes that connection, it’s valid.

If those 'objects' and themes within the work support the overall narrative then it has ultimately done its job. Take for example the fact that both Kare Kano and Evangelion were plagued with budgetary issues. This in and of itself is neither a negative nor a positive but merely a fact and so using the fact that the tail end of those two series had budget cuts as a means to defame and undermine the work doesn't hold weight if the end product still manages to strengthen its core theme through other inventive ways, because then it succeeds whether or not those changes came about because of external circumstances. Whether or not the still shots in Eva were the result of budget cuts is irrelevant if it reinforces the themes and story being told within the show because by watching the show you are able to make a connection between that and the intent of the creator, even if it’s a coincidence. Even if the religious symbolism within the show was incorporated on the basis that it looked cool, if the viewer gains meaning from this and it strengths the aforementioned work then that’s is what’s most important when it comes to absorbing a piece of work from a viewer’s perspective. Knowing that it's placement in the show was only for visual effects after the fact doesn't and shouldn't nullify your feelings towards it.

Indeed, preconceived notions can mar your understanding and appreciation for a work because your opinions are inherently based on objects removed from the work itself. The work should ultimately stand on its own feet, because as mentioned above, these works are not the results of a single person but rather the collaboration of a whole host of talented individuals. Of course this stems from the fact that we can only 'connect' to so many people at a single time in regards to empathy and so assigning Anno as the soul brainchild of Evangelion for example is something easier to comprehend than a team of hundreds.

Jarmel

Banned
I think Blade Runner is an interesting example because it actually highlights some of what I'm saying. There is actually no disagreement about the thematic meaning behind Blade Runner. What people get hung up on is whether Deckard is a Replicant. The disagreement is about the reality of the fact, not the thematic purpose behind it. Is Deckard a Replicant? Maybe, maybe not. Did Ridley Scott intent for him to be a Replicant, then change his mind, then change his mind back with each cut? Maybe, maybe not. But there is one constant. Is Blade Runner about paranoia and the disturbing possibility that Deckard himself could be a Replicant without him even knowing it? Absolutely. No matter what cut you watch, that uncertainty is there and it drives the theme. Whether Deckard is in fact proven to be a Replicant or not is immaterial to the story being told, so why does it matter that much?

Kill la Kill's example also strikes me as approaching the question wrong. The question should not be "is KLK feminist and empowering" but rather "is KLK effective as a feminist narrative and does it successfully empower women". I feel the intent here is again less important than the effect. Feminism is a movement, not a genre. Regardless of intent, a work can be positive or negative for a movement if it covers related themes. So the answer is out of the author's hands here. Even a work intended to be feminist in nature can be rejected because it fails to understand the actual needs and desires of the movement.

Well I think that thematic depth is undercut in Blade Runner's case when a precise answer is given to the whole Deckard question. If Scott is giving an actual answer inside the work then the whole notion of questioning the audience about what it means to be human is being undercut inside the work itself and the thematic intent of the writing staff is damaged as a result. That's the problem when you have conflicting viewpoints, in a way, or evidence in a work that might contradict a theme. If the whole point of Blade Runner is creating a sense of paranoia, why then is the director putting evidence that might contradict that inside the work? In which case there might be external forces applying pressure such as in the theatrical cut. That's why I think in some cases just purely looking at the text/work doesn't give a clear view as to what the creator/staff were striving for.

Yea I'm sure there's a few (more than a few probably) Whedon haters out there. I do think it's interesting question to consider pondering though as to whether a work is even striving to be something more, even if it doesn't live up to those goals. I think whether KLK is trying to be feminist in the first place is just as valid a question as to whether it's effective as a feminist work. In some cases it's worth considering when a work is aiming for a thematic depth even if it's not particularly good at delivering that message.

kewlmyc

Persona 3 The Movie #4 -Winter of Rebirth-

It was pretty good.

The entire first half centers around the December month, so if you weren't a fan of it in the game, you won't like it here either. The 2nd half is all on 31st and the action is servicable. Nyx is rendered in CG, which is honestly kinda jarring, but that's the only real complaint.
Ending is just as ambiguous as it was in the game, maybe even more so. If someone who never knew about The Answer played this, they'd probably think it was a happy ending, rather than a bittersweet one.

All and all, the series of movies was a solid adaption. I'd put it slightly above with P4 the Animation since this is actualy well animated. I consider that a good thing since I actually like P4 the Animation.

Cornbread78

Magical Index ep.3
(Sensei's pjs with magic girl inside, lol(
A drinking and smoking loli looking sensei wuth magical powers huh? I guess this is early mana sharing, lol.

This is pretty interesting stuff, I'll give it that.

Russ T

Banned
I'm historically very anti-death-of-the-author, but it's also hard to be staunch in that stance when the author is literally dead or when the author refuses to comment or specifically says, "I intentionally left it open to interpretation."

I'm not really going anywhere with this, apparently. I thought I was going to type more, but I guess that was it. For now, anyway.

EDIT: Oh I see I was responding to a page ago and the conversation seems to have moved on. Well, whoops. ;_;

EDIT EDIT: Or not. Not that what I said is really important.

Although a movie or a show itself has its own motivations and messages ultimately delving too deeply into that rabbit hole can often be something of a fool’s errand, to miss the point. When it comes to film I often appreciate the 'fleeting feelings' that they bring forth and so just because a film or a show decides to forgo the standard template for story telling doesn’t mean that a story can’t be formed from your viewing. Likewise whether or not the blue curtain has been placed there intentionally is irrelevant. In the end it often comes down to one question, instead of trying to figure out just what it means or what was the intent, the question is how does it make you feel? People often spend so much time and effort trying to assign meanings to things to such a degree that they often forget to hold on to the feelings that the work manages to conjure up in the heat of the moment. The author too is human after all and so it’s not implausible that the subconscious may come into play here. Meaning, if blue truly is seen as a colour that conjures up sad feelings, whether or not the author intended for this connection to be made is beside the point because if you the viewer makes that connection, it’s valid.

If those 'objects' and themes within the work support the overall narrative then it has ultimately done its job. Take for example the fact that both Kare Kano and Evangelion were plagued with budgetary issues. This in and of itself is neither a negative nor a positive but merely a fact and so using the fact that the tail end of those two series had budget cuts as a means to defame and undermine the work doesn't hold weight if the end product still manages to strengthen its core theme through other inventive ways, because then it succeeds whether or not those changes came about because of external circumstances. Whether or not the still shots in Eva were the result of budget cuts is irrelevant if it reinforces the themes and story being told within the show because by watching the show you are able to make a connection between that and the intent of the creator, even if it’s a coincidence. Even if the religious symbolism within the show was incorporated on the basis that it looked cool, if the viewer gains meaning from this and it strengths the aforementioned work then that’s is what’s most important when it comes to absorbing a piece of work from a viewer’s perspective. Knowing that it's placement in the show was only for visual effects after the fact doesn't and shouldn't nullify your feelings towards it.

Indeed, preconceived notions can mar your understanding and appreciation for a work because your opinions are inherently based on objects removed from the work itself. The work should ultimately stand on its own feet, because as mentioned above, these works are not the results of a single person but rather the collaboration of a whole host of talented individuals. Of course this stems from the fact that we can only 'connect' to so many people at a single time in regards to empathy and so assigning Anno as the soul brainchild of Evangelion for example is something easier to comprehend than a team of hundreds.

I agree with you on both points. At the end of the day stories are made to make us either feel something or teach a lesson. People constantly want to validate things through the meaning of each shot but at the end of the day it's about the overall experience and how it taught you something or how it made you feel.

Additionally, on the note about preconceived notions I also agree about. It's the reason you should approach any media with an open mind because you don't know what you could gain from the experience. And just because of an authors prior works may not agree with you, doesn't mean any of their future work cans. Too often people get too riled up in small details and look over what something makes you feel.

Now, while I cannot personally attach Evangelion to any feeling I got from it, I can use a show that did mean a great deal to me when I watched it: Clannad. While Clannad was the first Key show that impacted me, I went into it with preconceived notions based on the merit of the character animation. I was not a fan. But somewhere down the line I decided to keep going with an open mind and see where it took me. I could sit here for days extrapolating every frame of the show, but the main takeaway from the show was the multiple feelings I had by the end and what personal growth I gained while watching. It personally was, and still is, a big part of me. It certainly left its mark and changed my views on quite a bit. And that is something no one can take from me. At the end of the day, it's all about how we perceive these shows and how we let it affect us. It may not affect you in any profound way, but it did it for me. What is profound to may not be profound for me and visa-versa. That's what makes art so much fun, is in the multiple feelings and views we can derive from the same art.

Handa-kun 5

Jesus christ I laugh at the dumbest shit in this show. Like at the beginning when he's walking down the hallway looking like a badass leader with his gang in tow, and then when he turns around
the fucking guys are all hiding and pretending they were there per chance since they were stalking him.

That and the yandere being genuinely scary-funny at that one scene. I don't think the show is the best anime comedy or anything, but I'm really enjoying the concept of the most popular kid in school winning over everybody even though he thinks everyone hates him and is a nervous wreck.

I need more.

I feel like I disappointed you with my reaction. Hahaha.

All that was literally what poped in my head as I was watching. So obviously it's not very analytical. Though I do like Shinji's progress throughout the series. While there may be justifications as to why his character acts the way he does, and there are, doesn't mean I have to like him or his character. Like you put it, he goes from an average character to as weaker and weaker character as the show continues.

See I didn't find any of it sad. Just extremely messed up. I hate when characters think of themselves that way because at one point I thought those same things of emptiness and loneliness and spite. Yet I got over them. Seeing someone constantly beat themselves up and "hate" themselves, while something that does happen, does not make me want to root for said character. Especially when they are given every tool to try and succeed.

I dunno. Shinji's character bugs me. No one else in the show does on the level Shinji does. And I don't think I should be expected to like him. I can empathize, but I don't have to like him.

Well yeah. Shinji isn't exactly meant to be likeable. You don't have to like him, but the show kinda does expect you to empathize with him.

And yes, it is pretty messed up, and it's okay not to be a fan of that. People can get over the stuff Shinji went through, but not all of them do, and Shinji's case is essentially the worst case scenario.

I'd say I'm satisfied with your impressions. ;)

Also, since Narag didn't post this for your reaction to episode 26, I'll do it for him. Don't ask.

l64aDsw.png

Well yeah. Shinji isn't exactly meant to be likeable. You don't have to like him, but the show kinda does expect you to empathize with him.

And yes, it is pretty messed up, and it's okay not to be a fan of that. People can get over the stuff Shinji went through, but not all of them do, and Shinji's case is essentially the worst case scenario.

I'd say I'm satisfied with your impressions. ;)

Also, since Narag didn't post this for your reaction to episode 26, I'll do it for him. Don't ask.

l64aDsw.png

Hahaha. Thank you.

Looking forward to your Your Lie in April and Chihiyafuru impressions.

So fafner watching is ridiculous

Funimation has: fafner and fafner Heaven and earth
Daikusi has: fafner Right or left
Crunchyroll has: fafner Exodus

that's ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom