• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

You'll see why later.

Ah, one of those "wait & see" things, huh? I can do that.

I just finished Star Ocean, now I'm torn between finally playing more Omega Quintet, Valktria Chronicles:R, Dragon Quest Hereos, Disgaea 5, Dragon Age I, or Infamous SS???? No way to fit them all in before FFXV takes over for months..

zulux21

what more people it's just the few of us watching it lol

ill likely join you guys soon.

I've been watching steven universe, the loud house, and star vs evil instead of as much anime recently, I am caught up on all of them now so I have a bit extra time for anime.

though I do have to watch super girl before oct.

Mailbox

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 (kh2FM, khBBSFM, khCoded cutscenes)

So I've been playing this recently, finally beat both games and watched the coded stuff.
Not gonna go too in depth on what I thought, but the way the worlds and traveling to worlds are handled in both games is problematic at best and utterly pointless at worst. Kh1 did worlds perfectly and no kh game has matched it.

I love how people in the FF15 threads were worried and discussing if 50 hours for the main story would be too little when I beat kh2 in 37 hours and kh bbs in 39 (and thats only because i beat the final boss 3 times (didn't realize you didn't need to beat him more than once) and collected all the damn stickers and fuk this game for having weird requirements for proud mode to get the secret episode. (also fuck the internet for not telling me that you actually had to use the stickers and get the top scores for them in the journal to unlock the episode :mad: )).

Seriously though, play BBS on critical mode!

Overall, Its a good package, but many years after their initial releases I've begun to notice their flaws. 1.5 and 2.5 are great collections, if you can excuses some fluff here and there. Oh and coded is pointless and dumb with the exception of the last 2 cutscenes.

can't wait tel 2.8 with the plot-destroying khDDD and the far more interesting (and hopefully larger than the secret episode in bbs) kh0.2.

Jex

The last few pages of this thread have been a better of quality roller-coaster, huh? Terrible Eva talk followed by a carefully considered discussion on authorial intent.

blurr

Death Parade 03

So plastic surgery is a taboo in Japan? I'm not sure I understand the gravity of her actions. Regardless of which, the show progresses with them piecing together information for most of the part. It really delivers something meaningful only towards the end when the contestants make a decision on what they should do in light of the revelations. However, the two stories I've seen so far aren't quite interesting for me, partly because of the way they are presented which is owing to the convoluted premise. I hope this changes later on.

I do like the relationship and chemistry (if you can say that) between Decim and the woman with black hair.

Eumi

So I was previously whining about how Rem is just an awful, awful person. This episode has basically completely validated my opinion.

Rem is terrible, and the reasons why are incredibly fair. I was actually amazed that her backstory wasn't some horridly tragic shit. I mean, it still technically was what with the whole village burning down, but before all that she had a safe place with parents who loved her and a sister who was always there for her. Sure, some of the village people saw her as a burden, but the people who mattered were nothing but supportive. And because of that it's easy to see where the problem comes from. Rem constantly puts herself down, to the point where she can no longer see herself as anything other than terrible, and honestly that's something that hits home with me. Her murder of Subaru wasn't the manifestation of some generic craziness, but the culmination of years of depression and worship. After killing Subaru in those timelines, chances are her life would have taken a turn for the worse as it probably would have only weighed on her already guilty conscience even more.

Rem is an awful person, but she's one I do want to see become good. Meeting Subaru is great for her not because of anything Subaru has but rather because meeting anyone who so openly values her individually in any way is something she's needed for a long time.

Overall, I'd say this arc and this character both hit home quite well for me. I'm incredibly interested to see how the story will progress, although worried that it's move away from this storyline may hurt it, as Subaru himself is still kind of a nothing character and Emelia isn't much better. On the other hand, maybe we'll get some real development for them.

Rem is still a shit-tier waifu tho.

Theonik

Suicide Squad

Worse than SAO.
I'm actually a bit disappointed. Saw a trailer for it during Star Trek and had decided to give it a watch but I guess I'll skip it.

Everyone's favorite anime is amazing and everybody is beautiful. I love you all.
I read about reverse physiology once, I'm an expert.
THIS ISN'T WORKING.

Suggestions that Eva doesn't hold up and embracement of the blue curtains meme on the same page.
It's true though. Many people do try to offer interpretations of works without accounting for creative intent or even trying to account for what the scene is trying to achieve often using the metaphors themselves to establish the content of the scene.

I come bearing gifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKkrncJUm3U

CogTgl5.gif

I want one!
Me.

Quasar

Suicide Squad

Fucking garbage. Do not watch.

thought it was alright. Mostly for the characters and music. Had a boring unoriginal plot though just like all supers films.

Suffered a bit with alot of my fave bits being in the trailers. People should learn to not do that.

Quasar

Alderamin 5 - Liked it. That whole flashback makes me want to go read the novels as I assume they go into it a lot more.

Eumi

Well my worries are gone, this new plot direction is goddamn intriguing.

Although Subaru is a fucking greedy ass. He's already got the maid. That's like a B+ rating already. Why's he gotta go after an S class haremette like the princess too? Save that shit for new game +.

I expected Rem to be in love with him now and I also thought that'd annoy me, but honestly it's a really good way to show how much of an ass he can actually be. The dude got pissed at a knight showing respect for royalty, but he himself is willing to abuse Rem's feelings for him to help him with his next 'conquest'. That or he's oblivious, either way he's a dick.

This has been the first time this show has actually felt like it's done anything somewhat clever with its generic plot and setting. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come. I saw a bunch of people say some pretty impressive stuff about these upcoming eps, although I'm trying not to set my hopes too high.

Although Subaru is a fucking greedy ass. He's already got the maid. That's like a B+ rating already. Why's he gotta go after an S class haremette like the princess too? Save that shit for new game +.

I expected Rem to be in love with him now and I also thought that'd annoy me, but honestly it's a really good way to show how much of an ass he can actually be. The dude got pissed at a knight showing respect for royalty, but he himself is willing to abuse Rem's feelings for him to help him with his next 'conquest'. That or he's oblivious, either way he's a dick.

This has been the first time this show has actually felt like it's done anything somewhat clever with its generic plot and setting. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come. I saw a bunch of people say some pretty impressive stuff about these upcoming eps, although I'm trying not to set my hopes too high.

Yup next few episodes are quite the ride. Hope you are ready! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts aha

barybll

Banned

Yeah its kind of a rollercoaster from epi 13 onward

Qurupeke

91 Days 5

Fango=anime

The whole plan seems to rely on him, but he's so unpredictable. They killed his second in command, they tried to take his life and he used to work for their enemy. It's a recipe for disaster.

Soma S2 6

4 female judges, good. I can't wait to see the next match, it should be amazing.

The writer for live action SAO stole my quote about Kawahara :(

Laeta Kalogridis’s comments:
For years I have been inspired by the inventive and masterful storytelling of the SAO franchise. I’m thrilled to get the opportunity to work with such talented partners to bring this cutting-edge yet timeless story to a new format at Skydance.

blurr

Lucky Star rewatch 01

Well, I finally succumbed.

I think the last time I saw this episode it was in 2013, maybe it was 2012 so I vaguely remembered what gags it had. I do distinctly remember that it had one on the Chocolate Cornet which was rather infamous for some reason. A lot of people didn't like it. In fact the director of the first four epsiodes Yutaka Yamamoto was fired and replaced with Yasuhiro Takemoto due to "performance issues" so I was wondering if it really was that bad.

At first I thought the Cornet joke was interpreted as some erotic humor but that wasn't the case, at least it wasn't apparently so. It just resulted in a tiresome discussion on eating habits which dragged on for longer than one could bear (over 5 minutes). This wasn't the only instance, there was another segment where Tsukasa and Miyuki talk about "pajamas" and "sleeping in late" which could've made for good gags but again, it was a tiresome back and forth between them. Thankfully Kagami acts as an audience surrogate to relay our woes.

Lucky Channel is another segment which is a small TV show parody-ish featuring Akira and Shirashi. I absolutely love Shiraishi Minoru although I still prefer the main show's gags over this side dish I think it's still a good segment.

Apart from that the show had a quite a few decent gags, much of the humor was simply attributed to the reaction faces and little sequences of animations. I think it wasn't nearly a great first episode but it wasn't as apalling as I've been reading either. It was decent.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Hmm, was it okay for me to post the Re:Zero gif like I did the Felix one from awhile back? It's an official promo for the show and something that would have popped up at the end of the episode normally as a next episode preview.

But people worried about spoilers and everything.

I'm just worried people are going to block me.

Narag

Hmm, was it okay for me to post the Re:Zero gif like I did the Felix one from awhile back? It's an official promo for the show and something that would have popped up at the end of the episode normally as a next episode preview.

But people worried about spoilers and everything.

I'm just worried people are going to block me

ctxmLOx.gif

Line_HTX

Food Wars: 2nd Plate 04

The last Top 8 competitor shows up, and you have the standard "I've won 99 battles decisively and consecutively!" as if it's a prerequisite for intimidation, haha.

That random rap song was pretty funny though on the old judge.

Eumi

Everyone: "Subaru, don't fuck it up."

Subaru, currently fucking it up: "I'm a knight tho!"

Honestly the build up to this could have been a little better. Was this the start of a new book, because there is a noticeable shift in how the show treats Subaru here. Good thing I'm 10000% on board or else I'd probably hate it.

I'm so glad that Subaru got blasted as quick as he did after that fuck up. I said it last time, the dude should have just stayed at the mansion, got with Rem and just live out the rest of his days living the otaku's wet dream. Instead he's so obsessed with being the main character of this story that he's lost everything.

It's almost a shame that he is the main character of the story. Eventually he's going to become relevant again, probably reform himself too. But for now, I'm loving watching him get torn down.

Side note: What the fuck is going on with Felt? That shit comes out of nowhere, makes no sense but also hasn't added anything to the plot yet. I guess it'll become clear later on, but for now I'm just baffled.

Qualidea Code Episode 5

Is everyone from tokyo a target then? Also they are really really dead? or just captured? I hope just captured since there is no way for them to confirm death.

This animes so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom