• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamond is Unbreakable has so far been praised as the best shounen adaptation of the last 1 1/2 decades, David Production is clearly full of staff that are passionate about the series and with DiU, they have reached a point where they can provide the level of quality in both artistic direction and intelligent adaptation from manga to anime that the series deserves. That's separated from the fact that even a few years a go, the series was largely unknown in the west and the chance of a new adaptation seemed like an impossibility. But it's just better than average.

DiU is easily on par with Yu Yu Hakusho and Gintama.

But that was likely the best individual episode of an anime I have ever seen.

i dont even...

gargles

orange - 6

You can't end an episode like that! You just can't. That could explain Suwa's amazing performance carrying this show by himself but it still leaves some issues to be addressed.
And we finally learned why Naho hadn't read the whole letter. It does make sense.
It may have fallen out of grace (if it did even reach that status) but I'm still enjoying it a lot.

(again, Suwa is great,
letter or no letter
)

Didnt even realize the Zestiria op this episode was the games until I looked it up, why Namco Bandai gives us the vocallest version :(

The Morose Mononokean Episode 6 – The Ring

Very fun and emotional, needed this today. Ashiya is perfect.

The best adaptation of a 6.5/10 still feels like a 6.5/10. Just saying.

It's entertaining, but nothing to write home about.

Pretty much my take on it.

Also I forgot about Thunderbold Fantasy earlier. Weirdly enough I'm still watching that. The MC is fairly charismatic and I love his humorous mannerisms. *wriggles little finger in ear*

Those god damn Chinese names, though, sure through me for a loop. I see the subtitles and think "what, that pronunciation sure is sth."

The best adaptation of a 6.5/10 still feels like a 6.5/10. Just saying.

It's entertaining, but nothing to write home about.

Great animation and direction techniques can very much elevate a source material from good to great. In the right hands a 6.5 can go up to a 9.

People really need to get over their "Monster of the Week" phobia. An episode of a show here and there that does nothing to advance the plot shouldn't mean an automatic decrease in quality for people.

Great animation and direction techniques can very much elevate a source material from good to great. In the right hands a 6.5 can go up to a 9, and that's exactly what David Pro is doing with Jojo.

People really need to get over their "Monster of the Week" phobia. An episode of a show here and there that does nothing to advance the plot shouldn't mean an automatic decrease in quality for people.

I would say Bones is doing it with Mob Psycho.

Now, if this is the 'elevated' Jojo, I suppose the original manga was more a 4.5??

I don't have anything against episodic structures.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Great animation and direction techniques can very much elevate a source material from good to great. In the right hands a 6.5 can go up to a 9, and that's exactly what David Pro is doing with Jojo.
The source material for Jojo is a time tested work from a creative and popularity standpoint...

The source material for Jojo is a time tested work from a creative and popularity standpoint...

Oops.

I was more focused on making a statement on how good adaptations can improve source material in general, I didn't mean to call the manga version of DiU shit, haha.

Jarmel

Banned
I would say Bones is doing it with Mob Psycho.

Now, if this is the 'elevated' Jojo, I suppose the original manga was more a 4.5??

I don't have anything against episodic structures.

Alright I'm calling this out for what it is, you're full of shit. DiU is easily up there as one the best shounen adaptations for the last decade. I haven't touched the source material and it's plain obvious the effort that went into the production for the show.

I can't even begin to visualize an argument in which the art direction, animation, or writing is close to mediocre. I can understand not liking it for what it is, but it sure as fuck isn't generic or average.

Diamond is Unbreakable is strong material adapted strongly. Fun characters and really creative scenarios in a neat setting, with excellent visual design and frequently clever, compelling direction. I can understand why people looking for nuanced character drama or an intricate plot would not enjoy it, but that doesn't change the fact that the series does what it sets out to do very well.

Eumi

Is it that hard to not get how people can think Jojo is bad?

I mean, it's kinda dumb and stupid. DIU has no plot for more than half of it, and it never follows any rules it ever sets. If anything I'm suprised so many people like it.

It makes me so happy that so many people like it.

Jarmel

Banned
Diamond is Unbreakable is strong material adapted strongly. Fun characters and really creative scenarios in a neat setting, with excellent visual design and frequently clever, compelling direction. I can understand why people looking for nuanced character drama or an intricate plot would not enjoy it, but that doesn't change the fact that the series does what it sets out to do very well.

The writing in DiU is leaps and bounds stronger than Stardust Crusaders (except maybe the tail end of the Egypt arc). I would have said that Stardust Crusaders was closer to average than anything in DiU. However even SC is considered iconic and I fully appreciate why.

Alright I'm calling this out for what it is, you're full of shit. DiU is easily up there as one the best shounen adaptations for the last decade. I haven't touched the source material and it's plain obvious the effort that went into the production for the show.

I can't even begin to visualize an argument in which the art direction, animation, or writing is close to mediocre. I can understand not liking it for what it is, but it sure as fuck isn't generic or average.

I don't think the writing is anything to write home about. While it's not downright bad as it was the case in Stardust Crusaders for me, I don't see what I'd be supposed to praise here.

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.5
TOZX_OP04.jpg
Oh wow, now that was a good intro to Berseria! Looks like we get more of it next week as well. If tgat music was any indication, we are going to be spoiled by the Berseria OST as well.... soo good!

Qurupeke

Re: Zero 19

The ending was soooo good, but the title of the episode was a lie. :( I can't wait for the next one.

I still don't get how Wilhelm remembers his wife. And he's Reinhard's grandfather?!

T-Rex.

Banned
Re:ZERO #19

Subaru finally uses his brain and doesn't act like an entitled tit when speaking to the other candidates and look how much their perception of him changes, it's great to see. Also that ending was pretty hype.

The one bit that stood out to me, around half way through the ep, was where he was choosing the dragon to ride and they explicitly mentioned how it was a "ground dragon known for extreme pride". Almost every week now the show drops a little something to connect Subaru and pride, it might end up being nothing but there's no smoke without fire and all that.

After finishing Ouran High School Host Club I restarted watching Ojamajo Doremi again. I don't directly love it because it's clearly targeted at kids, meaning it tries to teach pretty basic lessons and such, but is very well done so that someone of any age can appreciate it. Kinda like I can still enjoy Digimon Adventure and Digimon Tamers in a similar fashion (though those have this adventure-side in addition).

Jojo to me was always about taking your favorite toys and smashing them together in the craziest way possible. It a shounen that embraces the gimmicks of its series and the absurdity of its universe in the most fun way it can. You can't help but grin at the spectacle. But there is always charisma, the incredibly weird visual design almost always manages to highlight moments in the series. Eumi actually has a great example of that from Steel Ball Run (The Best JoJo) as his avatar.

It's the theoretical fascination of incredibly weird scenarios that are excecuted precisely to highlight the absurdity and personal weight of literally everything.

Soma S2 - 06

Awesome, awesome episode. Kind of. Yukihira was a total badass on this episode. My major complaint is how they totally skipped showing us how the dishes were made. Too many stills, and a major time skip that went from Soma having an idea to change his dish to them presenting it to the judges. The reactions were kind of meh too. I really enjoyed the message at the end though. I'd say this episode had the chance to be a lot better, but it ended up being just okay.

Zestiria X 05

That was more interesting than the Zestiria retread. Actually made me kind of interested in picking up Berseria when it is out.

Exalted

Re zero episode 19

Great episode, showed that Subaru can be at least somewhat smart once in a while, but was mostly a build up for next week . Next week battle should be great. That phone alarm/sound at the end was a nice touch.

Kinda strange that so many people were saying they lost someone against the white whale, i thought people get erased?

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think the writing is anything to write home about. While it's not downright bad as it was the case in Stardust Crusaders for me, I don't see what I'd be supposed to praise here.

Okay.

1.The use of stands is much more creative and varied. You have the earlier episodes such as Angelo using the water to stalk Josuke's house, the multitude of uses for Koichi's Reverb, or even how Josuke uses the healing/restoration abilities of his stand. The last episode with Shigechi for example had him using Harvest to get his target drunk as a way of crippling them. Compare that to the main crew in Stardust Crusaders who had basic Stands such as controlling fire, punching things fast (until the time stop boost), or stabbing things fast. Joseph's ability in Part 3 was the most interesting creatively but it's not used much beyond recon and Joseph's stand alone episode. In contrast the most boring Stand for the main characters in Part 4 is Okuyasu's stand which is limited primarily due to Okuyasu being a dumbass. Not to mention the antagonists in Part 3 have largely straight forward Stand as well such as Hol Horse, Gray Fly, or Wheel of Fortune. Araki took the elements that worked in Part 3 for the Stand battles and amped them up. The battles are much more intelligent as a result with it coming down less to who's faster or stronger but rather smarter. It's sort of a medley of Part and Part 3.

2.The characterization is better due to the show having to spend less time on a larger cast. Jotaro is used much better as a side character whereas when he was the primary character he came off as boring or a prick. Here he plays off well against Josuke as seen in episode 16 with "Let's Go Hunting". You could also look at Rohan and Koichi's relationship in episode 17 with Koichi being irritable after the previous encounter with Rohan but also being dragged along at Rohan's flow. The smaller cast allows for episodes featuring only a couple of the main characters and so the audience not only has a better understanding of those characters but the audience sees them in more scenarios with different dynamics at play.

3.The setup is intriguing with the focus on the small town, Morioh. The standalone episodes work better in DiU compared to Stardust Crusaders because there isn't a clear goal in sight and so the show doesn't feel like it's spinning its wheels. The show works like a crazy slice of life, ala Persona, and so the standalone episodes fit more into that feeling. The stand-alone episodes in Stardust Crusaders came across as a stalling tactic, which I guess was what they were narratively, and as a result the work felt plodding. The other thing is that the villains are in some ways scarier because they could be living right down the street from the main characters. There's an undercurrent of paranoia to the work with the main characters not knowing who to fight.

Mailbox

Chihayafuru 17 (Rewatch)

While not completely out of line with how Chihaya's character has been portrayed, this is still something of a nonsensical plot development. Chihaya hasn't been shown to be an especially sloppy karuta player up to now. In her match with the Queen, she had no faults and was simply outmatched by the Queen's speed. To suddenly act now like Chihaya's speed is a problem and makes her a worse player by going for wrong cards feels like manufacturing a weakness for artificial drama. It's a weak way to extend a serialized story.

I understand what you're saying here, but there are a few things that you didn't take into account. The first being that it wasn't just in speed that she failed in but also accuracy. Chihaya may not be overtly sloppy in terms of making faults, but she's sure as hell not as accurate as the queen on a consistent basis. The second is that up until this point, we have only seen them fight against highschoolers who focus on speed and memorization entirely. Basically, all that the narrative is trying to imply (which gets compounded later) is that Chihaya's strengths aren't only in speed, and that neglecting those strengths and only focusing on speed won't make her queen material.

As for her going after wrong cards, its about the mentality of the match itself you have to consider. Chihaya wasn't nearly as panicked and clouded in thought when she fought the queen. Considering how chihaya's play is affected and how she works on things other than speed form here until a certain period of time, I think this is fine all things considered.

There are some people in this thread whose opinions are so hilariously EDGY I just laugh every time they post. Like they think they're being selective critics when in fact they just hate their own hobby. Everything is terrible and they watch it all year after year and they hate it and they waste their days and lives hating it.

It's delightful. I feel like I'm watching an episode of that "terrible" anime Re:Zero with their constant suffering!

Chase17

re:zero 19

Subaru really leveled up his barter skill.

Good episode and ending was well done. Next episode should be exciting.

Re: Zero 19

The ending was soooo good, but the title of the episode was a lie. :( I can't wait for the next one.

I still don't get how Wilhelm remembers his wife. And he's Reinhard's grandfather?!

Some stuff

I think from what I picked up is that they were killed but not devoured, so that might be part of why she was remembered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom