• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

I hope they fix this.
download_1.png

Gundam Thunderbolt

Man that was great. I always appreciate my war media with no clear 'good vs evil' and instead showing two struggling powers fighting each other. I mean from the other Gundams I've seen this is usually true, but mix it with the horrors of war and the fact the pilot kids in here are meant to be like Morty shields instead of the heroes. Io Fleming is the man, such a cocky motherfucker with a heart of gold. The other guy was great too, but I mainly liked his flashback sequences which were gorgeous to look at. I don't even have to mention the soundtrack which was amazing, Jazz really does make anime better.

I don't suppose there's another space war show someone could point me to similar to this right? Legend of Galactic Heroes I'm waiting for a possible blu-ray, so I guess I'll keep waiting.

I'm looking at a few top 20 list of popular anime this season in Japan and the lack of Mob psycho 100 in any of them makes me really sad.

It's such a good show! How can it not be in the top 20 :/

That list is a mess and apparently they don't include continuing seasons.
I agree with the fact that it's a mess but it was just the complete lack of Mob that bothered me a little.

I just hope Mob psycho get the praise it deserves, BONES is doing such a good job with it.

Edit: Narag brings another one of the cursed survey missing Mob.

Cornbread78

Magical Index ep.4-6
hqdefault.jpg

This is actually a pretty good show so far. There are still soooo many things to figure out as to what is going on, but the character interactions were pretty damn good and I was really engrossed in how he was going to save Index. The outcome of that "battle" wasn't what I was expecting at all and was pretty cruel. I'm very interested to see where they go from here with everything.

Sword Art Online 9-10

First off, as a positive I liked
Kirito losing his duel
, which I didn't expect. Seems like he was cheated though, so I'm sure it was a fluke.

The battle with the minotaur ended up being way more a typical shonen "here's a new power I never revealed" disappointment than I would have hoped.

So too the
betrayal in the dungeon by the nutjob
could've led to some interesting or clever method of survival by Kirito. Instead it just made Asuna into a more ultra devoted deus ex machina for no reason. Potentially interesting character turned one note over two eps.

I did also like that they seem to just be going straight to marriage. Most shows just play it awkward forever. Maybe this still will. From what I've read it doesn't seem to stop all women from becoming slavering Kirito fiends, but in a another show it could at least put the character motivation of ultra devotion between two partners to good use. I somehow doubt it will, but I guess I'll see.

ibyea

Banned
Danganronpa 3 - Despair: 3-4
Local man ruins everything indeed. D:

First, it's all boxer dude's fault. On the other hand, Hajime doesn't realize the good things he has in his life, instead of focusing so hard on the narrow minded point of view on talent that he ignores them.

The second episode is interesting in that it has completely turned around my view point on the drug lady. And damn, this episode reminded me why Komaeda Nagito is the scariest.

With these two episodes, I feel like despair side is the stronger show.

Danganronpa 3 - Future: 4
Again, things go nowhere, although it was pretty exciting seeing the chairman do stuff. And then there is that ending. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

Alderamin in the Sky: 5
These are like the smartest wolves ever. Anyways, it is a nice backstory.

91 Days: 5
Things are getting exciting once again. That's one ballsy gambit by Angelo.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You should stop worrying about MHA when the Re;Zero nightmare is looming.
MHA is worse. I don't actually care because I already know it will be a mess. The last list that wasn't stuffed with junk was like 2012...

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 17

Huh, so Ako has a stalker shrine. Somehow I'm not surprised. Subtlety Ako. Subtlety. It's a useful tool in these scenarios. At least that guy whose name I can't be bothered to remember set her straight. Obsessions are never good, especially when an idol like herself has to stay away from relationships. Nice debut for her, though not as good as Mahiru. First pop idol. That leaves Koharu (what's taking her so long?), Tsubasa, and Yuzu. But first, more Yuri. She really is the new Shion/Yuu. Hopefully that means she gets a performance in a year or two.

blurr

Idolm@ster CG S2 10

Good lord that was an amazing episode featuring Shimamura breaking character. She isn't just some air head character, going with the flow all the while, she has a limit to what she can be and this episode proves it. It was also very moving. I really love her even more now. This is reminiscent of 'that' episode from Oregairu Zoku - yea, I'm making this comparison.

Im@s if not already evident, is clearly an amazing character drama with beautiful production quality.

I hope more people watch this show.

TUSR

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma 4-6

Caught up, Soma has hit its stride again and captured what I enjoyed about its first season.

Ryo and Akira's match is going to be really good.

Soma x Erina

Eumi

Wow, lots of thoughts.

Firstly, the new op's song is still great, although the imagery isn't anywhere near as good (that scene in the first one where subsru walks past himself still gives me chills, I love that kinda shit). The new ED song also still works amazingly for those times when they want it to play over scenes.

Onto the content, I absolutely adore that Subaru has doubled down on his delusions rather than pulling himself together. As of right now, he's basically the villain in a way. As far as shown, literally every character that wants anything to do with him is actively trying to help him, but all he can see are enemies. In an attempt to live out his fantasy of being the main character of LN trash, he's creating enemies where there are none.

His parallels with Rem are also fantastic. His worship of Emelia is slowly destroying him, as Rem's worship of Ram did to her. Also glad to see Rem doesn't worship Subaru in the same way she did Ram, as she's willing to go against him if she sees it as necessary.

The biggest strength of this arc however is that there have been zero resets. Previously, the time travel was the only thing keeping my attention. Now, the show's not only getting along fine without it, but it's the best it's ever been. And the great thing is that I don't feel like it's the lack of time travel that's improving it, so when it finally gets reintroduced I can't wait to see how it'll affect this plot. And of course, where the save point is.

And all that knowing that it's the next episode that really made a big splash with people.

Line_HTX

Okada Gundam 09

This dialogue from Amida and Lafter are cracking me up, lmao. Amida is a real bad influence on Atra, trying to teach her what "love" is and whew, good thing the meat joke went over Atra's head, hahaha.

Jokes aside, it feels like Orga and Kudelia are forced to sort of mature real fast since they're making this alliance with the space mafia. Hopefully Orga partied all he wanted and getting all the alcohol out of his system before officially teaming Tekkadan up with them. And Kudelia looks very much like a diplomat finally making a big decision on her own.

Baalzebup

Magical Index ep.4-6
hqdefault.jpg

This is actually a pretty good show so far. There are still soooo many things to figure out as to what is going on, but the character interactions were pretty damn good and I was really engrossed in how he was going to save Index. The outcome of that "battle" wasn't what I was expecting at all and was pretty cruel. I'm very interested to see where they go from here with everything.

Ah, a good pick you've made there. The series is not without its flaws, but I generally love it to bits. The series has plenty of cruel things in it since both the magical world and team Science are pretty stacked with assholes. It will also hurl magic side lore, science terms, organisations and acronyms out of the wazoo at you on occasions, and will build up that stuff even more later on. It can get a bit bewildering.

Be sure to watch the co-series about Railgun as well. It delves more into the Academy Citys issues and fleshes out some of the stuff. The second season of Railgun also re-treads the events of the best arc of the first season of Index from her POV and improves the whole thing quite a bit in general.

FYI, that satellite that Index accidentally lasered when Kanzaki flipped those tatami.. It was shown for a reason.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 17

lXpaV5H.png

kLbU8m2.png

29jWQRd.png

A8iBqmi.png

Freyja made Mikumo sad. I don't think I like Freyja anymore...

Meh, who needs a past anyway? All that matters is I get to sing in the present.

phaze

Wow I missed shitting on EVA talk again. Just my luck.

Psycho-Pass 06-08

As always, I applaud the choice of giving multiple episodes to single cases, giving them time to breathe, the problem is, those cases aren't especially interesting in themselves. And this one, with the mystery in the open from the beginning, especially so. All this arc did for me was to make me want to rewatch Mouryo no Hako, which did the murder in conservative all girls schools thing, only in its first episode, so much better.

On the other hand the slow trickling in of Kogami's backstory and inter personal relations withing the squad remain fairly well done.

Mailbox

Have you guys ever watched a series that is by all means pretty good and does a lot of things right, but you can't shake the feeling that you'll probably forget about it really quickly?

What the hell causes that?! That feeling is making me kinda miffed as I'm watching 1 specific anime i have on my queue at the moment. Its called Hyakko, and I've only finished the first 4 episodes so far. No matter how many times I see funny, well animated, or interesting things happen I can't shake the feeling that its a forgettable piece of media. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why!

The character designs are weird, but I've seen weirder and never had that feeling. the colours used give off a slight glazed feeling to things, but that wasn't really uncommon for anime around when it aired. The structure and pacing are reminiscent of seitokai yakuindomo (minus the insane perverted nature), so I'm not sure either of those is an issue. The characters are rather enjoyable too (though 1 or 2 are questionable)...

I just don't get it!

Have you guys ever watched a series that is by all means pretty good and does a lot of things right, but you can't shake the feeling that you'll probably forget about it really quickly?

Lack of good judgment?

Most surely the series wasn't "pretty good" as you believed at first, just a mediocre "well it isn't bad". The type of series is pretty normal to forget in two seasons.

Mailbox

Lack of good judgment?

Most surely the series wasn't "pretty good" as you believed at first, just a mediocre "well it isn't bad". The type of series is pretty normal to forget in two seasons.

I thought of that, but its not the case here. I've seen plenty of downright boring, horrible, just okay, and meh anime, but few that I would both consider "pretty good" (i refer to it as "pretty good" and not "good" more because of character facial design and a few gags that didn't 100% click) and forgettable.

I think there is a difference between a show that you will forget later, and a show that, as you are watching, gives you the feeling that you will forget it even when you are enjoying it.

basically, I think it has something to do with the marketability and staying-power of the show, but I'm still not sure the underlying cause.

Sölf

Girls und Panzer

Yep, this was fantastic. A nice mix of fun and drama and a tankload of hotblooded Panzer-action. The setting feels pretty much like an excuse for having tank-battles, and that's alright, because there are many of them. And they are awesome. The final fight especially was some damn great stuff.
It also features a pretty large cast of characters, since well, you need a couple people for every tank, which results essentially in character-groups (like the history-girls, the volleyball-club, the first-years...) but I though they were all handled pretty well and got good development throughout. Of course the the girls around Miho get more development.
It honestly was a really fun ride seeing the girls get better and better handling the tanks and their team steadily growing.

Also the CG was great. The movement, the impacts, the blending with the background... really good stuff. And the movie is supposed to do this even better? Damn.

The Katyusha song was awesome as well.

I'll leave it at that.
Panzer vor!

Before you watch the movie, watch the Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu! OVA. It shows the battle with the italians that was skipped in the series.

I want to but then I'd be left only with Mob.
0k4tkrdk2jig.png

Mob, Thunderbolt Fantasy, Jojo, and Alderamin in the Sky is still enough anime to fill out the season.

Personally even from these four, none of them are truly good, just better than average. Anime was a mistake, etc.

Chihayafuru 17 (Rewatch)

While not completely out of line with how Chihaya's character has been portrayed, this is still something of a nonsensical plot development. Chihaya hasn't been shown to be an especially sloppy karuta player up to now. In her match with the Queen, she had no faults and was simply outmatched by the Queen's speed. To suddenly act now like Chihaya's speed is a problem and makes her a worse player by going for wrong cards feels like manufacturing a weakness for artificial drama. It's a weak way to extend a serialized story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom