• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Mob, Thunderbolt Fantasy, Jojo, and Alderamin in the Sky is still enough anime to fill out the season.
Personally even from these four, none of them are truly good, just better than average. Anime was a mistake, etc.

I really enjoyed the last episode of Mob so I have an inkling of hope that it can mantain that and become something I can watch for more than just visual prowess.

Jojo is Jojo and, judging from first episode Thunderbolt, is not my kind of thing unfortunately.

Still have to check Alderamin and Battery. I shudder at even the mention of word "baseball" but if its truly show about baseball without baseball than maybe I stand a chance.

I don't want sound doom&gloom cause the last season, despite not having any single superb work, was still my favorite in long while but summer's offerings for me so far are slim

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I did drop New Game. There was nothing to it. Someone literally took that joke where they say you can just take a group of cute girl characters and stick them in a random scenario and it will sell to the nth degree, because that's all they did. They do nothing with the characters, they really do nothing with the scenario and it provides no real reason to continue watching it. This is the season with a new Love Live and this is what you bring to the fight? Gave up before you even started.

But in its place I picked up Amanchu which is great.

Narag

Using the Japanese names for Pokémon characters is literally the most weeaboo thing possible. Don't be such a willy whacker.

I'm not that much into Pokemon so don't really know the localized names. I know Satoshi is Ash in the english version, and Professor Okido is Professor Oak but past that I'm at a loss. I don't even know PIkachu's localized name.

Szadek

So far I think this season is great,
I'm still watching 12 shows and it looks like I'm going to finish most of them.

Quasar

Have you guys ever watched a series that is by all means pretty good and does a lot of things right, but you can't shake the feeling that you'll probably forget about it really quickly?

Well I forget a lot of most media I consume. At least in terms of specifics. Part of it probably is the sheer amount of media consumed that is consumed once and never rewatched/reread. I tend to have stronger memories of stuff I watched and rewatched as a kid.

Jintor

New Game's advertising push in akihabara/Japan generally is really goddamn strong. Easily eclipses Sweetness and Lightning in my estimation. I can only assume someone at the publisher knew for certain they could sell it.

Quasar

So far I think this season is great,
I'm still watching 12 shows and it looks like I'm going to finish most of them.

This like the last 3-4 seasons is pretty sparse for me. Seemingly gone are the days where I'd be watching 12-15 shows. Now I seem to be down to 4-8 a season.

This season being...

Sweetness and Lightning
Battery
Macross
Alderamin
New Game
Orange
Souma S2.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Should at least introduce a school saving plot or something... I mean it worked for Love Live and GuP even twice!

The problem I think is the lack of interaction with the characters. Since they're in an office most of the day they are just staring at their screens in silence. Then the work day ends and they go home. There's a reason most school based shows skip lessons and focus on after school activities, because the characters aren't talking to each other during class.

And I'll have you know the plot to Sunshine isn't about the school closing down.

No, the school is closing down and being combined. What a twist!

jgminto

Mob, Thunderbolt Fantasy, Jojo, and Alderamin in the Sky is still enough anime to fill out the season.

Personally even from these four, none of them are truly good, just better than average. Anime was a mistake, etc.
Diamond is Unbreakable has so far been praised as the best shounen adaptation of the last 1 1/2 decades, David Production is clearly full of staff that are passionate about the series and with DiU, they have reached a point where they can provide the level of quality in both artistic direction and intelligent adaptation from manga to anime that the series deserves. That's separated from the fact that even a few years a go, the series was largely unknown in the west and the chance of a new adaptation seemed like an impossibility. But it's just better than average.

Quasar

Being honest, new game is oddly comfortable junk food to me

It continues the run of enjoyable workplace anime for me. Not sure how many more I can consume before I get tired of it. But this, shirobako and seiyuus life have all been enjoyable in recent times.

Eumi

Wait no. Wait.

Fucking hell.

Don't get me wrong, I have been enjoying this show a bunch. But that was likely the best individual episode of an anime I have ever seen. It almost feels like the entire series has been leading up to that single moment in which Subaru is broken entirely.

Betelgeuse is a goddamn amazing moment for this series, because it's the moment Subaru has to face true evil alone. No one could help him, his power was worthless, and he suffered for it. All this time he's been playing his little SAO fanfic in his head and suddenly he's thrust into the violent reality of the world he lives in and his place in it. He cannot just sit and let things progress as they will, knowing that eventually he'll find a way through. The sheer horror of his failures are too much for him to handle. He isn't Kirito, he's not even just an average Joe. He's a goddamn nobody.

I could probably go on forever but my thoughts are still all over the place. All I'll say now is that thread in OT asking why people like this show is fucking hilarious after what I just watched.

However, I'm now going to mention something I'd been thinking about for a while now, since this had the third save point. I'm pretty sure that whoever it was that gave Subaru this power is from the mansion. I refuse to believe that these save points are random, and considering the limits in discussing them I'm sure that somebody gave them to him. If we assume it's similar to a curse, then physical contact would probably be required to cast it. Of the three save points, two were on busy crowded streets meaning anyone could have done it, but the second was in the mansion whilst he was asleep.

Of course, that's just pointless speculation on my part that may well actually be disproved by the parts left till I catch up. I just wanted to throw it down now since it's a theory I've had ever since it was revealed that curses require physical contact.

Jintor

It continues the run of enjoyable workplace anime for me. Not sure how many more I can consume before I get tired of it. But this, shirobako and seiyuus life have all been enjoyable in recent times.

It's so different from those shows though... well I haven't watched seiyuus yet.

It's like what beegs is saying, a cute girls thing with a different skin. I love and hate that it's not a high school club thing in that sense. It doesn't have to deal with the traditional high school bs. But on the other hand, all the "adults" act like anime high schoolers.

Is there no end to Nintondoman's suffering ?
from director of Code Geass, a riveting PV of a new mecha anime.

My suffering ended when I saw this thing, thank you very much.

As for ID-0, I don't exactly have high hopes for it, but I'll give it a shot.

Diamond is Unbreakable has so far been praised as the best shounen adaptation of the last 1 1/2 decades, David Production is clearly full of staff that are passionate about the series and with DiU, they have reached a point where they can provide the level of quality in both artistic direction and intelligent adaptation from manga to anime that the series deserves. That's separated from the fact that even a few years a go, the series was largely unknown in the west and the chance of a new adaptation seemed like an impossibility. But it's just better than average.

"It's not good, but it's better than average" is a statement that makes so sense to me.

If really is better than average, why not call it good?

T-Rex.

Banned
I don't want sound doom&gloom cause the last season, despite not having any single superb work, was still my favorite in long while but summer's offerings for me so far are slim
Daijoubu, the season really starts from next week.
The Premier League, that is.

phaze

Daijoubu, the season really starts from next week.
The Premier League, that is.

image.php

I'm an Arsenal fan

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Have you guys ever watched a series that is by all means pretty good and does a lot of things right, but you can't shake the feeling that you'll probably forget about it really quickly?

Tons.

House of Five Leaves comes to mind. I don't remember one god damn thing from that show except the faces and I know I liked it at the time.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Arslan Senki Season 2, Episode 6:

Right, time for one of those episode that shows us what is going on in other political centers of this war as we see the decrepit state of Ecbatana. Indeed, I would say more has happened here then in any other episode this season as was see some pretty major shifts for both players and characters. Also, Arslan is going to reenact his favorite episodes of One Piece because well for plot reasons he is going to need a shit ton of money to raise that huge army his is tasked with.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I did drop New Game. There was nothing to it. Someone literally took that joke where they say you can just take a group of cute girl characters and stick them in a random scenario and it will sell to the nth degree, because that's all they did. They do nothing with the characters, they really do nothing with the scenario and it provides no real reason to continue watching it. This is the season with a new Love Live and this is what you bring to the fight? Gave up before you even started.

The irony is that the creator of New Game has actually worked in the Japanese Video Game industry.

The funny thing is I've seen lists saying that this show is actually more popular than Love Live this season.

Haly

I think the greater sin in anime is not doing a bad job but being in a position to do a good job and then fucking it up.

barybll

Banned
Wait no. Wait.

Fucking hell.

Don't get me wrong, I have been enjoying this show a bunch. But that was likely the best individual episode of an anime I have ever seen. It almost feels like the entire series has been leading up to that single moment in which Subaru is broken entirely.

Betelgeuse is a goddamn amazing moment for this series, because it's the moment Subaru has to face true evil alone. No one could help him, his power was worthless, and he suffered for it. All this time he's been playing his little SAO fanfic in his head and suddenly he's thrust into the violent reality of the world he lives in and his place in it. He cannot just sit and let things progress as they will, knowing that eventually he'll find a way through. The sheer horror of his failures are too much for him to handle. He isn't Kirito, he's not even just an average Joe. He's a goddamn nobody.

I could probably go on forever but my thoughts are still all over the place. All I'll say now is that thread in OT asking why people like this show is fucking hilarious after what I just watched.

However, I'm now going to mention something I'd been thinking about for a while now, since this had the third save point. I'm pretty sure that whoever it was that gave Subaru this power is from the mansion. I refuse to believe that these save points are random, and considering the limits in discussing them I'm sure that somebody gave them to him. If we assume it's similar to a curse, then physical contact would probably be required to cast it. Of the three save points, two were on busy crowded streets meaning anyone could have done it, but the second was in the mansion whilst he was asleep.

Of course, that's just pointless speculation on my part that may well actually be disproved by the parts left till I catch up. I just wanted to throw it down now since it's a theory I've had ever since it was revealed that curses require physical contact.

Someone gave him that power
I will not spoil who tho, altho it isn't that much of a secret given the characteristics of the power

Haly

I think Sweetness and Lighting fails on both the cooking aspects and the slice of life aspects.

Koufuku Graffiti this ain't.

Syrinx

I honestly wasn't big on Sweetness and Lightning either. I'm not big on things with cooking as the theme though. Beyond that though I just wasn't feeling the relationships between any of the characters. Particularly Sensei and Kotori.

Exalted

The Morose Mononokean episode 6

While i drooped many shows since the beginning of this season, i still continue to watch this. It's really not the most exciting show, it takes things slow, but i kinda like the relaxed tone it has, and the subtle humour instead of the big gags. The last episode was nice, where they searched for a wedding ring from a deceased husband to return to his wife, so he could pass on.
The calming relaxed tone in this show is just perfect to watch before being crushed by Re Zero later in the day.

Tales of Zestiria the X 5
Well this didn't have any Zestiria in it as they jumped straight to an episode (and at least one more) that is all Berseria. The lack of any transition to this was odd, but Velvet's tale of revenge is so far more interesting than Zestiria.
Todays Zestiria really makes me not want to play Berseria, all the cast are so dull compared to Zestiria.
The main character is even a woman, the horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom