• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:Zero - 19

Yeah Re:Zero is shaping up to be pretty damn high on my AOTY list. This episode was excellent. We see Subaru finally coming to terms with his physical inability and using knowledge from other timelines as his leverage and strength over the various situations he was in. Direction here is once more on fucking point, with several shots highlighting how high the stakes are in this. Also, that ending with the phone's alarm and everything being silent just highlighted how terrible and horrific the whale truly was. The glitching sounds only made for an even scarier scene.

Can't wait to watch next week. I am 100% sure that things won't go as well as we hope they will be. The whale is massive.

A) I'm more talking about "range vs. power", "does hurting the Stand hurt the user", etc. in terms of rules. Those are things that should can be consistent across Stands (or at least types of Stands) without hurting their creativity but aren't and that can be kind of annoying.

B) For the bolded:

I-dont-believe-you.gif

A) Wut?

B) Is that any more "out there" than the ability to stop Time?

Yes because Time Stops aren't uncommon in other stuff.

Now King Crimson...

phaze

Damn Russ T on blast

So you are actually a bully huh.

For such an old, influential and popular series JoJo still works almost counterpoint to your standard battle shonen.

If you think of the evolution from Phantom Blood to Stardust Crusaders to Steel Ball Run to JoJolion its absurd. I say it a lot, but I can't believe that no one ever did the parts system that Araki made. Yes there are series that have time skips or have generational stories but they don't shift EIGHT times. To be fair, Araki has had 30 years and can do whatever he wants. I'd assume he has mangaka tenure by now. And Araki is only in his 50s, he could potentially have decades left in him.

I mean, you've said it yourself. Rarely does one mangaka wants to spend 30 years on drawing the same series. GrantedYou say there's an evolution and I've little idea where it takes the series but I take it it's still a battle shounen with stands even if some more horrory bits were added or whateves.

Also, a lot of other stories would be bigger in scope where inventing a new threat every few years is not feasible or. take themselves seriously enough to not pull a Dio is dead/or wait no he's not/now he's dead but he had a bow we forgot to mention in SC that makes new villains/oh wait (spoilers for future parts probably)
Dio actually made some kids while you weren't watching./

I think the main point of contention for DiU is the formula where people wander into Stand battles like its Street Fighter. For me, thats perfect because it allows a variety of fights with different characters.

But I think everyone knows at this point that I'd die on the hill of monster of the week/episodic/anthology series. I'll defend them forever, as long as they're good.

You should watch Soultaker. I think there's good chance you'll like it.

I believe GAF's top 10 shounen ranking goes something like:

1. Mitsudomoe
  2. Gintama
  3. JoJo
  4. Cromartie High School
  5. Shinryaku! Ika Musume
  6. Hunter x Hunter
  7. Gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun (Yes, despite the anime this is apparently shounen)
  8. Haikyuu!!
  9. Watamote
  10. To LOVE-Ru

Dragon Ball? Slam Dunk? Ranma 1/2?

Now I'm going out to yell at clouds a bit.

Eumi

Yes because Time Stops aren't uncommon in other stuff.

Now King Crimson...

Just wanna point out Metroid is actually underselling Heavy Weather.

Because you think you're turning into a snail, you actually physically become a giant snail. Despite this, it also works on walls and floors. Also if you touch any of these snails you also become a snail. This is all a secondary power to the dudes main ability which is total weather control to the ludicrous degree of say Storm from the X-men.

Because fuck you Stand Powers.

Mandelbo

This Art Club has a Problem 05

This show's really bad for setting up jokes and then having them go absolutely nowhere - the first section of the episode was quite good, and then the second half starts off as if the bird mask is going to be the focus of the section since they make such a big deal about it and devote a comparatively large amount of time to it for it to just be a throwaway joke, but then that's exactly what it is. The President putting it back on at the end does not count as a payoff! Mrs Club Advisor doesn't even react when she walks into the room while Colette has the mask on!

Mailbox

Re:Zero episode 19

Continues to be great. Great build-up to next episode. Especially loved the ending with the great use of juxtaposition and intensity. I have to give loads of credit to White Fox for their use and non-use of OPs and EDs for this show. They have somehow perfectly pinpointed when a OP or ED would ruin pacing or would be in the way and just scraped it in place for more time for the episode which results in great opening sections of shows, or in the case of episodes like this one, great endings.

so hyped for next episode!

Someone rank the serious gundam shows for me. I want something like Thunderbolt. Just gruesome war. Or at the very least more violence and politics, less jesus kids.

Someone rank the serious gundam shows for me. I want something like Thunderbolt. Just gruesome war. Or at the very least more violence and politics, less jesus kids.

The original movie trilogy can be watched on Gundaminfo's YouTube channel.

Not super gruesome or anything but it's still very much worth watching.

I'm almost done with the second book of Legend of the Galactic Heroes released by Haika Soru and its reinvigorated my interest with the series. I think it may work better as a novel then an anime however. Its very dry and workmanlike, more akin to a historical text then a work of fiction. The anime doesn't try and spice it up, so its not a very exciting show to watch.

The characters however are fantastic. There's obviously Yang, Reinhard and Siegfried but people like Rubinsky, Trunicht, von Schönkopf, Oberstein, Mittermeir and so on are also intriguing. Even Rudolf von Goldenbaum who has been dead for centuries really feels like his influence still exists, like it did from Augustus to Romulus when the Western Roman Empire was breathing its last. It probably helps that I find this Space Opera way more believable then something like the optimistic Star Trek. As LoGH is half a re-imagining of World War 1 in space there are some discrepancies that you have to get over like the citizens of the Empire living and working in standards that are hardly evolved past the 19th century. Maybe because its still purely a human conflict and there are no Romulans, Borg or Klingon to unite against but I find it far more believable that in 500 years humans will still be petty and stupid enough to fight over swathes of Space, amounting to nothing. I also keep forgetting that LOGH is far older then Star Trek TNG. It's also by far the most interesting Empire and Alliance dynamic I've ever seen from Japanese media. It's a really common dynamic but it never has any clout. The existence of Phezzan helps as well. LOGH is so bound to being realistic that it makes me kinda sad. I can relate to Yang. There's a part where a coup de'tat breaks off from the FPA and begins to establish fascist rules. When Yang begins to discuss this with a leader, he says that the rules will only last until they can defeat the empire. Yang says that they have been fighting the empire for hundreds of years. The war hawks of the FPA desire to mobilize a massive amount of forces despite knowing the odds of victory are low and that its a foolish endeavor, but proceed because a military victory would secure their seats come the next election. Reinhard and Oberstein sit and watch 2 million people be obliterated in nuclear fire to use it as unflinching propaganda against the nobles. It would be cliche, if it wasn't backed up by countless examples of actually happening in the real world. LOGH is no War and Peace, but it is an interesting story about how a righteously fascist empire and the corrupt and economically unstable bureaucratic mobocracy come to blows while believing themselves to be the sole institution for which humanity will proceed.

But I need to finish Aku no Hana first.

Dragon Ball? Slam Dunk? Ranma 1/2?

Now I'm going out to yell at clouds a bit.

Pshaw I'm the only one who gives a shit about Dragon Ball anymore.

War in the Pocket and forget everything else and watch VOTOMS.

Pretty sure it's 0080 for good serious Gundam and 08th MS Team for the warfare.

The original movie trilogy can be watched on Gundaminfo's YouTube channel.

Not super gruesome or anything but it's still very much worth watching.

I'm almost done with the second book of Legend of the Galactic Heroes released by Haika Soru and its reinvigorated my interest with the series. I think it may work better as a novel then an anime however. Its very dry and workmanlike, more akin to a historical text then a work of fiction. The anime doesn't try and spice it up, so its not a very exciting show to watch.

The characters however are fantastic. There's obviously Yang, Reinhard and Siegfried but people like Rubinsky, Trunicht, von Schönkopf, Oberstein, Mittermeir and so on are also intriguing. Even Rudolf von Goldenbaum who has been dead for centuries really feels like his influence still exists, like it did from Augustus to Romulus when the Western Roman Empire was breathing its last. It probably helps that I find this Space Opera way more believable then something like the optimistic Star Trek. As LoGH is half a re-imagining of World War 1 in space there are some discrepancies that you have to get over like the citizens of the Empire living and working in standards that are hardly evolved past the 19th century. Maybe because its still purely a human conflict and there are no Romulans, Borg or Klingon to unite against but I find it far more believable that in 500 years humans will still be petty and stupid enough to fight over swathes of Space, amounting to nothing. I also keep forgetting that LOGH is far older then Star Trek TNG. It's also by far the most interesting Empire and Alliance dynamic I've ever seen from Japanese media. It's a really common dynamic but it never has any clout. The existence of Phezzan helps as well. LOGH is so bound to being realistic that it makes me kinda sad. I can relate to Yang. There's a part where a coup de'tat breaks off from the FPA and begins to establish fascist rules. When Yang begins to discuss this with a leader, he says that the rules will only last until they can defeat the empire. Yang says that they have been fighting the empire for hundreds of years. It would be cliche, if it wasn't backed up by countless examples of actually happening in the real world. LOGH is no War and Peace, but it is an interesting story about how a righteously fascist empire and the corrupt and economically unstable bureaucratic mobocracy come to blows while believing themselves to be the sole institution for which humanity will proceed.

But I need to finish Aku no Hana first.

Pshaw I'm the only one who gives a shit about Dragon Ball anymore.

War in the Pocket and forget everything else and watch VOTOMS.

Go watch War in the Pocket if you want suffering.

All right thanks will add to my list. I see Unicorn is being re-aired as a tv series atm. Is Unicorn worth watching?

Mailbox

Probably not the place to ask this, but is something up with youtube's location data? Normally it says "Youtube cdn" since i'm in canada, but I just noticed that its been saying "Youtube jp" instead.

Maybe Youtube is starting to figure out I like anime ._.

Gvitor

Orange 06

Early in the episode I was ready to come here and say that I wished Suwa got a letter as well, for he to be patient and help Naho live without regrets. And lo and behold, he got one. Though of course we still don't know what it said, and it's tricky territory, because if they know they're going to end up together it'd be even harder to him to help her with Kakeru.

I still hate Kakeru.

#TeamSuwa

Re:Zero 19

Really different type of episode. Felt... too normal, lol. We even got to see the opening. Still, very solid build-up of events. Hopefully this timestream sticks.

Geist-

Re:Zero Ep.19

Damn, that was a great episode. I'm glad that Subaru finally got out of that endless loop of suffering. I love how they choose not to use EDs when a particularly important part comes up. It greatly improves the pacing for me.

And it looks like the Love Triangle just became a Quadrangle.

More Re:Souls art makes me happy.
I will never not love Re:Souls fan art.

Too many VOTOMS shows, not sure which one is first lol.

Also War in the Pocket seems near impossible to find. I guess there's play asia. I asume it isn't in the gundam youtube channel so that's a shame.

Theonik

Too many VOTOMS shows, not sure which one is first lol.

Also War in the Pocket seems near impossible to find. I guess there's play asia. I asume it isn't in the gundam youtube channel so that's a shame.
For VOTOMS, just watch the original Armoured Trooper VOTOMS, then 'The Last Red Shoulder' OVAl, then you can also watch 'Armoured Hunter Mellowlink' for additional VOTOMS fun.

Active Raid S2 05
In which a sleep-deprived garbage man goes ballistic on otaku, who were tricked by a radical activist manager of a chuuni-sadistic character idol to perform Willwear-related misdemeanors in an attempt to disrupt public order and lessen government support. Overall, fun shenanigans.

A bit disappointed by the lack of Mythos in this episode, considering how last episode seemed to set him up for more relevance, but the increased backstory between Kuroki and Inagi was pretty good. Seems like Inagi might be turning against or more blatantly using Unit 8 for his own gains, which might cause tension with Kuroki and Great Boss later on.

Next week looks like a kaiju-inspired episode from the preview too, so might be in for some more fun times.

I'll watch 08th team and the original VOTOMS then. Maybe later I'll try to see if I can find War in the Pocket, if not fuck it I'll give a watch to Unicorn I guess.

Jotaro, Josuke and Koichi are all pretty solid. Okuyasu, Rohan and some of the other previous "villain's" have these questionable turnarounds were they suddenly become all buddy buddy after getting beat up once. Okuyasu is also of this fairly one-note obnoxious bonehead type that I don't find appealing to follow at all. Many of the other stand users have still too simple, evil intentions, again, until they're beat. There isn't much to, say, Akira Otoishi or Keichou Nijimura.

Akira is pretty shallow but Keicho had the issue with his father and Okuyasu still has a complex with his brother and his struggle to make his own decisions.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think the main point of contention for DiU is the formula where people wander into Stand battles like its Street Fighter. For me, thats perfect because it allows a variety of fights with different characters.
I mean...for me DiU is remarkably more complex than its predecessors because people do not wander into each other for stand fights. There is nothing inherently adversarial about most of the stand users. They are not simplistic minions of Dio looking to cut down the main cast. These are people whose mostly normal motivations are warped or potentially become intimidating because of their stand abilities. This creates more scenarios where the stands square off against each other in ways that are not straightforward clashes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you want to see what JoJo looks like when done badly, watch Big Order.

Well don't actually watch Big Order, because it's bad. And not MJ bad.

Mailbox

Well, I mean the first 3 episodes are "so bad its good" level, but after that its just plain bad.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
ReZero is king. What a great episode. It's great to see Subaru actually get recognized when he puts forward effort and honesty towards something. People started noticing that when he isn't a broken down husk, he's a pretty awesome human being.

That ending tho. Directing at its finest. The cell phone ring tone juxtaposed against the giant world-ending whale with a beautiful starry sky as the backdrop. It was awesome.

Also Subaru has to have immense willpower not to start making out with the wonderful person known as Rem. She's literally holding him afloat all on her own.

Big order could've been the savior of Anime if it had just gone more full Anime, but instead it opted to tone down the ridiculous aspect and be serious about itself. So it just turned bad

I mean...for me DiU is remarkably more complex than its predecessors because people do not wander into each other for stand fights. There is nothing inherently adversarial about most of the stand users. They are not simplistic minions of Dio looking to cut down the main cast. These are people whose mostly normal motivations are warped or potentially become intimidating because of their stand abilities. This creates more scenarios where the stands square off against each other in ways that are not straightforward clashes.

That's what I mean. In Stardust the group is moving towards an end goal like Streets of Rage or Double Dragon, where people are jumping in to intercept them.

DiU isn't the main group against a unified force. Even the people being hit by the arrow aren't on the same side, the people with the arrow just want to get their kicks. When not dealing with someone that Jotaro wants to go after, they just end up in the situations where it turns out the mangaka has a stand

I mean, you know, the original DB. Like, before DBZ.

lol people actually talking about classic DB

convo

B) For the bolded:

I-dont-believe-you.gif

A) Wut?

B) Is that any more "out there" than the ability to stop Time?

Stands are weird and unpredictable, i am not disputing that.
The ability to stop time didn't help Jotaro from getting owned by a rat, and overall an ability that will reach it's limit versus certain characters.So no timestop isn't very special in that it loses to other things. Storm isn't doing all she can. For example Iceman got categorized as one of the strongest Mutants because they realise what he controlls isn't ice but heat and energy so basically everything. What if Storm got this ridiculously granular and what could she do with it? You get weather report, and also disregard the logic of
frogs and rainbows

So what are the good new animes this season besides 91 Days? Mostly I've just been watching season 2 of shows I already like (Food Wars, Re:Zero).

If I wanted to watch Love Live, do I need to start from the first series to fully understand the complex Love Live canon?

pbayne

Gundam The 08th MS Team

Into real stretching it with spin-off territory now

+The show has a unique identity amongst Gundam shows as it’s probably the most grounded of all the iteration ive seen. No newtypes, mobile suits are generally shitty/cobbled together and pretty much a no frills, just honest to goodness war story from the regular soldiers perspective.
+All around the show has a great aesthetic with the jungle, guerrilla warfare setting and some fantastically expressive but still mostly realistic character designs.
+The main cast are great even if there isn’t a ton of time to flesh them out. Probably the closest a Gundam show cast gets to a Patlabor cast, in that they are just competent soldier guys who are good at their job but not hyper competent, like an Amuro or Kamille. Shown by how Norris pretty much beats them all single-handed.
+The action is mostly decent in general, the greatest strength though is the variety of set-ups to the various conflicts make them all feel unique. Except for one absolutely amazing fight in episode 10. You know when mechs fight in a city they always seem to gravitate towards that one magical wide open patch of road to fight in i.e they don’t actually interact with the city terrain since that would probably be harder to animate/choreograph. Here they were swinging around buildings, using cover, exploiting different levels of verticality-fuck it was awesome.

-This definitely feels very “spin-off”. What I mean by that is, nothing in the plot really feels like it carries any weight or significance at times. Typical star-crossed lovers, good guys and bad guys on both sides, big doomsday weapon blah blah blah, you’ve seen it all before in many other Gundam shows. Even the individual character stories, while decent, never feel like they’re building towards anything substantial. And the epilogue while not bad was unnecessary.
-Shiro has a terrible character arc. In that im still wrapping my head around how rushed/contradictory it is. In the span of three episodes he goes from “I have no problem with killing” to “why are we fighting? Pacifism bruh” and then back to “actually I have no problem killing people if it’s to protect my friends/when it’s convenient for me.”
-^As a result the whole Shiro and Aina relationship is just thrown into the middle of that stupidity and as a result seems very tacked on or they couldn’t think of a more logical or original way to advance Shiro’s character without going to the old well of “the person he loves is on the other side!”.

+Overall a solid recommendation. Even if the plot & character logic has a few mis-steps here and there, it’s still a very decent mecha show. If anything its worth it just to see the “normals” be the primary focus of a Gundam story.

Lol and im so close to the end of Wing...and yeah i have a lot to say about it.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So what are the good new animes this season besides 91 Days? Mostly I've just been watching season 2 of shows I already like (Food Wars, Re:Zero).

If I wanted to watch Love Live, do I need to start from the first series to fully understand the complex Love Live canon?
I'm really liking Alderamin on the Sky. I like/am watching both of the shows you are and Alderamin slots right in with those tastes.

Ascheroth

Give Alderamin on the Sky and Mob Psycho 100 a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom