• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam The 08th MS Team

Totally agree. I loved it when it first aired on Adult Swim/Toonami year ago (can't remember which), but rewatching it the ultimate doomsday gundam/socipathic villain definitely felt out of place with the rest of the plot's restraint. But yeah, the Gouf fight in the city is one of my favorites in mecha anime.

Another similar spin-off series in 0080 War in the Pocket, not sure if you've watched/are planning to watch that one yet.

I'm really liking Alderamin on the Sky. I like/am watching both of the shows you are and Alderamin slots right in with those tastes.

Give Alderamin on the Sky and Mob Psycho 100 a try.

Honestly, Alderamin and Mob Psycho. The Danganronpas too if you played the games.

Thanks, I checked out the first episode or two of Alderamin and forgot to keep up with it! I'll check that out again. Also I'll look at Mob Psycho 100.

Is Taboo Tattoo basically this season's Asterisk War?

Other shows I'm curious about: hitorinoshita, ReLIFE, The Morose Mononokean, and Orange? Any of those good?

So what are the good new animes this season besides 91 Days? Mostly I've just been watching season 2 of shows I already like (Food Wars, Re:Zero).

If I wanted to watch Love Live, do I need to start from the first series to fully understand the complex Love Live canon?

Honestly, Alderamin and Mob Psycho. The Danganronpas too if you played the games.

For VOTOMS, just watch the original Armoured Trooper VOTOMS, then 'The Last Red Shoulder' OVAl, then you can also watch 'Armoured Hunter Mellowlink' for additional VOTOMS fun.

Big Battle and Roots of Ambition are worth watching, too. Also it should be noted that VOTOMS has a bit of a slow start. The first arc in the city can be a bit of a slog at times and it lasts like 14 episodes. The arc after that is where things really take off IMO

Eumi

And the other princesses show that they're scum. But rather than more Subaru bashing, I'm pretty sure that sequence is gonna be re-done soon using his future powers.

I'm glad he isn't suddenly some changed badass after that experience. He's different, but not that different, he's just more focused now.

Still, this episode felt a bit more hollow than the last few. Hopefully the show didn't peak.

Sölf

Rem:Zero 19
Yep, that looks good. Subaru is finally doing some stuff and basically using his knowledge from he previous attempts. I have to admit, I wasn't sure if the White Whale would really show up at the end, since we saw earlier that some things do change between resets (like Roswaal leavin the mansion which he didn't do in other "attempts"). So, seeing this thing actually appears hypes me for a (probably not so well ending) fight in the next episode.

Arslan 06
So that's why she was at the stake. I like that this show actually shows the other side from time to time, just so we actually what happens away from Arslan and his crew. I also like all this backstabbing. :0

Nah Subaru deserved all that. He probably shouldn't try and bluntheaded-ly argue his way through stuff with people who are smart.

Gotta agree here. Imagine a random guy in our world starts saying the things he did to someone like the US president, or Canada's Prime Minister. Although I am sure he wouldn't be treated the way he did, a random guy with 0 knowledge of politics or how this society works is honestly not even worth their time.

TrueBlue

Pretty awesome

Nah Subaru deserved all that. He probably shouldn't try and bluntheaded-ly argue his way through stuff with people who are smart.

Its awesome

Great show, has some good action and visuals, if puppets don't bother you.

Real good.

Yep, it's pretty great.

Well, okay!

Thunderbolt Fantasy is the puppet show, right? What's the consensus?

It's like if Japanese people made a DnD campaign set in some eastern fantasy land, but instead of fights with 20 sided dice they opted to grab puppets and slap them against each other as the DM turns off the lights and flashes a bunch of different colored flashlights for special effects.

Aka awesome.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I wanted to watch Love Live, do I need to start from the first series to fully understand the complex Love Live canon?
Well Sunshine is stand alone, with a completely new cast in a new setting, but µ's, the cast from the original, are mentioned in this series and references are made to them. All you really need to know is that they were the great winners of a previous Love Live! contest years back and everyone looks up to them.

Saying that, there's no harm in watching the original. It's a good show.

TrueBlue

Well Sunshine is stand alone, with a completely new cast in a new setting, but µ's, the cast from the original, are mentioned in this series and references are made to them. All you really need to know is that they were the great winners of a previous Love Live! contest years back and everyone looks up to them.

Saying that, there's no harm in watching the original. It's a good show.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but...

What makes the original a good show? Is there anything that could be considered a barrier of entry? Etc.

Eumi

Gotta agree here. Imagine a random guy in our world starts saying the things he did to someone like the US president, or Canada's Prime Minister. Although I am sure he wouldn't be treated the way he did, a random guy with 0 knowledge of politics or how this society works is honestly not even worth their time.
Oh no yeah throw him out on his ass. But they didn't do that. They humoured him so they could screw him.

They did the correct thing. But they didn't have to be jerks about it.

Arslan S2 Episode 6
7ghD9r0.jpg
KE3MPqG.jpg

That feel when all you want is that sweet, sweet, throne, but you're stuck dealing with idiots on all sides.

kewlmyc

Re:Zero 19

Considering the source of this is a web novel turned light novel about an otaku being transported to a different world, this has no right being as good as it is. Can't wait to next week to see the crew hopefully kill the whale (probably won't happen during this loop, maybe).

Thunderbolt Fantasy is the puppet show, right? What's the consensus?

You had several people saying 'awesome', but apart from that, I would like to comment more in one of the keys components of said good reception. It's just a honest series, the tone is silly but it's consistent in the silliness, it's just eager in its straightforwardness of being a wuxia story with a party rpg of fabulous looking heroes with the mission of beating the the evil guy in a dark tower (with an obvious twist waiting).
It's a bit like James Cameron works: very tropey but well done products and honest in its pretensions.
Hard to dislike.

Did the Arslan MC ever get better? I couldn't stand how much of a frail bishonen wimp he was so I stopped watching.

I remember some gaffers saying how the truly MC was still the genius tactician in S2, so I suppose he is the same.

kewlmyc

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.5

Oh wow, now that was a good intro to Berseria! Looks like we get more of it next week as well. If tgat music was any indication, we are going to be spoiled by the Berseria OST as well.... soo good!

Something just bothers me about how blatant this marketing of Berseria it is. We just cut from Sorey, Mikleo, and Lailah in a dungeon in the previous episode to a brand new unrelated cast doing something completely different with no real explanation. Yeah, it's the only reason Zestiria got an anime to begin with, but I just wish they fit it into the show better.

Sölf

Did the Arslan MC ever get better? I couldn't stand how much of a frail bishonen wimp he was so I stopped watching.

He maybe improved a bit. Depends on when you stopped. Overall he isn't that much different, but I wouldn't call him so frail anymore. A bit too much of a good guy, but imo an improvement over the first, well, 5-10 episodes I would say.

Geist-

Arslan S2 Episode 6
That feel when all you want is that sweet, sweet, throne, but you're stuck dealing with idiots on all sides.
I actually feel sorry for him. They are all idiots for the most part, especially his brother. I imagine it's the same feeling Obama has about Republicans.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm almost afraid to ask, but...

What makes the original a good show? Is there anything that could be considered a barrier of entry? Etc.

It's an enjoyable journey following a group of friends during their year in school together and all the ups and downs that that entails.

The biggest barrier would be it's about idols. I suppose you could watch the OP to series 1 and see if that's off putting or not.

While it is indeed about idols (they are school idols after all), it's more like a slice of life school club show, unlike the iDOLM@STER which is very much about the industry, as such it's as much about the characters and what they do outside of idoling as it is them idoling. So in some ways it's kind of like a typical sports anime.

So basically, it's like K-On, but the group actually does practise.

pbayne

Totally agree. I loved it when it first aired on Adult Swim/Toonami year ago (can't remember which), but rewatching it the ultimate doomsday gundam/socipathic villain definitely felt out of place with the rest of the plot's restraint. But yeah, the Gouf fight in the city is one of my favorites in mecha anime.

Another similar spin-off series in 0080 War in the Pocket, not sure if you've watched/are planning to watch that one yet.

Seen it little while ago mate(probably the best Gundam OVA/spin-off ive seen so far), cheers though. Not sure what to go into now though. i really want to get into Turn A but ive heard its best left for the end?
So atm im weighing up either continuing UC timeline stuff or G Gundam maybe.

Something just bothers me about how blatant this marketing of Berseria it is. We just cut from Sorey, Mikleo, and Lailah in a dungeon in the previous episode to a brand new unrelated cast doing something completely different with no real explanation. Yeah, it's the only reason Zestiria got an anime to begin with, but I just wish they fit it into the show better.

Oh so that's what the hell was going on! I found it very confusing as I have no experience with Zestiria or Berseria, especially with that final shot of
Mikleo?

Cornbread78

ReZero ep.19
Damn, I really liked the way they ended that episode but it sucks because I want to see that battle! Rem also continues to be the best girl.. period. Outstanding

From everything posted online, they two games share the same world and they should be presenting the link through the anime.

Heartless dog person.

And I rather disagree that the show is just about cooking.

It's not just about the cooking, but the character moments that happen feel outweighed by the heavy emphasis on the mechanical process of cooking. If I wanted to watch a cooking show I'd watch a live-action cooking show, not an anime in which the food doesn't even look appealing. It's an inferior series to Koufuku Graffiti in both its visual presentation and its characterization.

kewlmyc

From everything posted online, they two games share the same world and they should be presenting the link through the anime.

Yeah, I know Berseria is a prequel. My only problem is how they drop the viewer into the Berseria cast without any explanation. I knew what was going on due to outside knowledge, but as Lalalandia shows in their post above, anyone not familiar with Zestiria or the marketing of Berseria is just left confused.

It's not the first time a show has put what is essentially the pilot episode of a prequel/spinoff into the show, but it's usually done with some sort of transition beforehand to explain to the viewer what is happening. The only transition we got was in the next episode preview of last episode, which did a poor job explaining that the next episode was going to be a prequel story.

I only wish they just did a better job of jumping into the Berseria content. The way they did it comes off as either lazy or incompetent/amateurish.

That being said, the actual material of the episode was good and makes me want to get Berseria. Mission accomplished on their behalf I guess.

...It's not the first time a show has put what is essentially the pilot episode of a prequel/spinoff into the show, but it's usually done with some sort of transition beforehand to explain to the viewer what is happening. The only transition we got was in the next episode preview of last episode, which did a poor job explaining that the next episode was going to be a prequel story...

Seriously I took away from that preview that the show was taking a break for a week not 'hey a whole other anime starts next week' (I quite like this 'game' style preview format)

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #19 Another War - Little Mama of Janus

Drama with the characters interacting with each other and the stress of multiple roles never gets old in this. Too bad for Clare, unlike a few of the others, no one came to her aid. Scott just looked at her like she was crazy even.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Re:Zero Episode 19

Awesome awesome Episode.

Subaru getting it done.

cc4D5pQ.jpg

Great juxtaposition of the ring tone and the whale actually appearing. Subaru could have picked a less cheerful ringtone lol.

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #20 Stand Up, Scott! You're Our Leader

Delayed explosions are the best for space warfare.

Scott drama ought to hopefully be over, sure it was compelling and such but this was his second time with the leader stress plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom