• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Spinoff is the only Gundam worth watching. All the main plotlines are tash.

Aki-at

Assassination Classroom S2 - 21 - END

mqJrQrl.png

There a few bits that bothered me that was cut/changed from the manga which I wish were kept in such as
the super mercenary group the students take care of, how the principle's parts are cut, how the students escape and, though not a change I care for, Shiro surviving vs dead in the anime series.
There definitely feels like there was a lot of rushed elements in the second season so the pacing sometimes goes over the place but when it mattered, right at the end, the finale took it's sweet time.

Going to miss this show, it's been one fun ride.

Cornbread78

Cowboy Bebop ep.21
Oh Jet, she's legal, but too young for you bud. Well, tgat and she's an old buddies daughter. Stick with the big bro moniker. Decent episode, but not high on my Bebop list thus far.

Line_HTX

Spinoff is the only Gundam worth watching. All the main plotlines are tash.

So far I like Iron Blooded Orphans, but I sort of expect to go a little south sooner or later.

The main plotline is really a complete doo-doo with characters that make incompetent decisions, I agree.

This anime is probably one of the inspirations for the narrative I'm writing, the only weakness in its realism being the axe wielding maniacs. Seriously wat. I'm not even sure that the show even justifies that so it sticks out pretty hard in comparison to everything "realistic".

But otherwise, the commitment to creating a believable Sci-fi setting is one of the best out there. It literally even has in universe documentary episodes that detail the universe and its expansive history. It feels "real" as much as it is "fiction" and that's one of the highest praises that I can level on a series. Oh and god is Yang Wenli such a good character.

This anime is probably one of the inspirations for the narrative I'm writing, the only weakness in its realism being the axe wielding maniacs. Seriously wat. I'm not even sure that the show even justifies that so it sticks out pretty hard in comparison to everything "realistic".

Because you can fill a room with particles that explode if you fire a laser weapon. Sometimes you can't blow something up, sometimes you need to capture someone or something. Hand to hand CQC will never go away. Modern soldiers still carry knives and receive hand to hand training. In the first battle of the war between the Zulu and the British Empire, the British famously ran out of ammo, had to resort to CQC and got their asses beat.

Because you can fill a room with particles that explode if you fire a laser weapon. Sometimes you can't blow something up, sometimes you need to capture someone or something. Hand to hand CQC will never go away. Modern soldiers still carry knives and receive hand to hand training. In the first battle of the war between the Zulu and the British Empire, the British famously ran out of ammo, had to resort to CQC and got their asses beat.

Hand to Hand is acceptable, I know hand to hand will always exist because of range effectiveness regardless of ammo but axes feel a bit too outlandish for the setting. Probably a personal gripe, but the setting could have used something lower key (Like combat Knives) and it still could have worked more smoothly. That being said, I love the swiftness of the hand to hand violence which makes it easier to swallow. It's a small gripe in comparison to how fantastic the overall product is.

Aki-at

Space Brothers - 57

Good to see Mutta becoming more handy, he's gradual change from a consistent pessimistic character to slowly more determined guy has been great to watch. Though he still has he's fits.

My Action Story - 4

The repeat cut was awesome! This show is great, Takeo is great, Suna is great, everything about it is great.

Also sagely advice from Suna (And his telephone conversation to power up Takeo was brilliant haha)

Haly

Space axes are probably more realistic than laser pistols, all things considered.

1) We have actual axes and we know they're effective in hand-to-hand combat.

2) Laser weapons will likely never be a practical technology, because the power involved in creating a concentrated beam of light strong enough to do damage to modern armor is wasteful. You would be able to launch significantly more projectiles at the same cost per fire of an effective laser beam. That's to say the least of fitting all that power into a handheld device that's the size of a pistol and not having it be a risk to the user.

3) Their reasoning for not using guns inside ships is sound. Until we perfect bullet proof metal (and if the metal is bulletproof then it's likely laser proof as well), using ballistic weaponry in the vacuum of space is basically suicide. The only reason they DON'T tear a hole in the ship and suffocate everyone inside is airlocks and that their intent is capture, not elimination.

4) Axes make sense as a martial weapon. An axe is designed to take full advantage of angular momentum to concentrate its blow in a small area. A sword's momentum is more evenly spread out through the whole blade. Swords are also large and unweildly, especially if you're wearing a thick space suit. If you need to craw through a small corridor, for example, you'd rather have the 2 feet long axe than the 3-4 feet sword. You don't need to worry about bumping into each other (what will you do with a longsword in null-g?), or getting it caught on something. What about short swords? Well, they lack the ability of long swords and axes to cut through things and, as thrusting weapons, are more suited to fighting unarmored targets. Speaking of armor, I'm reasonably confident you can take apart a futuristic space suit with a future axe than a future sword.

5) Thanks to modern materials design, axes are more versatile as well. There's a reason why special forces around the world give their guys these things:
654185812_o.jpg

Instead of a collapsible long sword or short sword. (I assume they use knives for fine cutting work and I'm sure Walter had two or three.)

Just T

Amanchu: 5

Fun episode, spent more time with the siblings and they are alright characters but dang she don't have to keep kicking the shit out of her brother for no reason. Also their drawing on the blackboard near the end with Teko coloring it in was pretty cool.

Soma Second Plate: 6

Good to see that win and lol at Dojima in the little park sequence.

ReZero: 19

This was a good episode, Subaru did well being prepared beforehand with his responses, nice to see him have a calm conversation with no angry outburst. And they even got shit started at the end, next episode should be something.

Nephtis

ReZero: 19

All I can say is I actually found myself yelling "FUCK YEAH!" at the end. It was so refreshing to see things going well for Subaru for once. After being raked through the coals, he finally deserved a break.

The wait for the next episode will be long. Sigh. Only anime that has had me this hyped for the next ep was 十二国記.

Space axes are probably more realistic than laser pistols, all things considered.

1) We have actual axes and we know they're effective in hand-to-hand combat.

2) Laser weapons will likely never be a practical technology, because the power involved in creating a concentrated beam of light strong enough to do damage to modern armor is wasteful. You would be able to launch significantly more projectiles at the same cost per fire of an effective laser beam. That's to say the least of fitting all that power into a handheld device that's the size of a pistol and not having it be a risk to the user.

3) Their reasoning for not using guns inside ships is sound. Until we perfect bullet proof metal (and if the metal is bulletproof then it's likely laser proof as well), using ballistic weaponry in the vacuum of space is basically suicide. The only reason they DON'T tear a hole in the ship and suffocate everyone inside is airlocks and that their intent is capture, not elimination.

4) Axes make sense as a martial weapon. An axe is designed to take full advantage of angular momentum to concentrate its blow in a small area. A sword's momentum is more evenly spread out through the whole blade. Swords are also large and unweildly, especially if you're wearing a thick space suit. If you need to craw through a small corridor, for example, you'd rather have the 2 feet long axe than the 3-4 feet sword. You don't need to worry about bumping into each other (what will you do with a longsword in null-g?), or getting it caught on something. What about short swords? Well, they lack the ability of long swords and axes to cut through things and, as thrusting weapons, are more suited to fighting unarmored targets. Speaking of armor, I'm reasonably confident you can take apart a futuristic space suit with a future axe than a future sword.

5) Thanks to modern materials design, axes are more versatile as well. There's a reason why special forces around the world give their guys these things:
Instead of a collapsible long sword or short sword. (They use knives for the fine cutting work and I'm sure Walter had two or three.)

Good Explanation! You learn more every day. I do think that an explanation by the in universe would have been a good idea at some point considering the weapons are used in some major victories and how some idiots (aka me) may not perceive the utility at first glance. They immediately stand out in the setting which can hurt suspension of belief. A small blurb to Julian about close quarters would have solved the issue.

Haly

In a world with spaceship-to-spaceship boarding crews, you're obviously going to have anti-boarding crews with the benefit of supplies and a stockade. You're not going to be able to raid them with combat knives.
Good Explanation! You learn more every day. I do think that an explanation by the in universe would have been a good idea at some point considering the weapons are used in some major victories and how some idiots (aka me) may not perceive the utility at first glance. They immediately stand out in the setting which can hurt suspension of belief.

Yes, well. I don't think these kinds of boarding crews are realistic (as in, in a space faring age I doubt we'd resort to these kinds of tactics) but the logic behind them is sound. In truth, the author probably included the Rosenritters because LOGH is a futuristic reimagining of the Prussian Empire and the spaceship combat is modeled on seafaring combat (with boarding crews and such).

Mushishi Zoku Sho: Odoro no Michi

This is the stuff. It feels like any extended discussion of this would fail to capture the magic of its engrossing atmosphere. I'll just give an extra thumbs up to the sound effects team; they did their job right in aurally depicting the alien nature of the mushi.

Haly

Rezero 19:

Man these guys have some seriously janky armor. Their shoulder pads are L blocks.

Good Explanation! You learn more every day. I do think that an explanation by the in universe would have been a good idea at some point considering the weapons are used in some major victories and how some idiots (aka me) may not perceive the utility at first glance. They immediately stand out in the setting which can hurt suspension of belief. A small blurb to Julian about close quarters would have solved the issue.

I think the greater thing that hurts suspension of disbelief in Legend of the Galactic Heroes is that one side is modeled on 19th century Prussian society (with one planet with an Ancient Roman theme, just because) while the other side is modeled on mid-20th century Western Europe/America. The anachronistic mashup can't be taken seriously as a vision of a plausible future.

In a world with spaceship-to-spaceship boarding crews, you're obviously going to have anti-boarding crews with the benefit of supplies and a stockade. You're not going to be able to raid them with combat knives.

Naturally, you need utility tools in order to break into areas. It's a sensible procedure. The lethality of the weapons is well conveyed in the animation, but not really the weight. Perhaps there's a new material from space. But this is the sort of explanation that I would have hoped from the series. That being said, minor gripe.

I think the greater thing that hurts suspension of disbelief in Legend of the Galactic Heroes is that one side is modeled on 19th century Prussian society (with one planet with an Ancient Roman theme, just because) while the other side is modeled on mid-20th century Western Europe/America. The anachronistic mashup can't be taken seriously as a vision of a plausible future.

I disagree somewhat on this point, there's a specific explanation as to why this anachronism occurred. Thus the suspension of belief is easy to maintain. Of course in an absolutely realistic sense, it's totally unlikely, but in a believability sense, it checks out from a writing standpoint from my perspective.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Ep 26 Enticing Premium Quality Coffee Jello

He should have gone with 48 for the price of one. Also what is with coffee flavored stuff, its really nasty, especially if it is pudding.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Episode 1 EngDub

The one with Jet Black Wing was hilarious and the voice for the girl Kokomi was perfect. Loved funis take on it.

Cornbread78

Cowbou Bebop ep.23
This episode was pretty "interesting" with the eletronics cultists. It looked like they were going to extend the story for it, but cut it short instead. At least Spike was there to rescue
Faye
in the end, but it was close, lol. I admit, I laughed at the SAO style head sets.

Russ T

Banned
Man, cornbread watching Cowboy Bebop is really making me wish there was more if it. Not so much a continuation of the story or even a prequel or anything like that... I just really want to see more of those characters. I'm so fond of them all.

One Piece 752
nlOdN03.png

Absolutely Disgusting.

At least Bartolomeo finally left.

That character is terrible, and the fact that he's popular is baffling to me.

Gvitor

Danganronpa 3 - Future 01-03

Well, the first 2 episodes were surprisingly good considering this game is set in the real world and Danganronpa's real world story is really silly (the bad kind of silly, unlike its murder mysteries). Then it went to shit in episode 3. The girl who used the enhancing drugs, what the fuck was that. And what kind of logic does the Persona 4's MC look-alike have? Isn't he supposed to be hope? You aren't Nagito, dude, stop trying.

The fights early on were also very stupid, but the mystery and intrigue had me hooked. That's when Danganronpa is at its best. In fact, this Zero Time Dilemma-y type of game could've worked wonders in an actual game instead of an anime.

Danganronpa 3 - Future 01-03

Well, the first 2 episodes were surprisingly good considering this game is set in the real world and Danganronpa's real world story is really silly (the bad kind of silly, unlike its murder mysteries). Then it went to shit in episode 3. The girl who used the enhancing drugs, what the fuck was that. And what kind of logic does the Persona 4's MC look-alike have? Isn't he supposed to be hope? You aren't Nagito, dude, stop trying.

The fights early on were also very stupid, but the mystery and intrigue had me hooked. That's when Danganronpa is at its best. In fact, this Zero Time Dilemma-y type of game could've worked wonders in an actual game instead of an anime.

I dont know if you are watching in this order but you should watch Future 1 -> Despair 1 -> Future 2 and so forth.

Gvitor

I dont know if you are watching in this order but you should watch Future 1 -> Despair 1 -> Future 2 and so forth.

Talked to a friend who said the connections only paid off in episode 4, so I watched the first 3 episodes from the future arc, and I'm about to start despair now.

Welp, too late now...

Cornbread78

Qualidea Code ep.5
9-1-550x292.jpg

WTF...WTF just happened? So wait, now they will all become
a zombie army for the alien ships that they have been fighting this whole time since they all have the chips planted in them by the doctor and teachers/leaders? Teanage toys for the evil adults?
WTF.. You felt bad for the dude because of what happened last week, but this went from ridiculous to XXXL ridiculous.

Crocodile

Man, cornbread watching Cowboy Bebop is really making me wish there was more if it. Not so much a continuation of the story or even a prequel or anything like that... I just really want to see more of those characters. I'm so fond of them all.

Eh, sometimes its good to let a strong, finished project just sit. I wouldn't rage against the machine if Cowboy Bebop 2 got announced but I'm more than satisfied with what we got. We don't need more, especially if you want to use the same cast. That being said, I could use more Watanabe anime in general. Has he really been radio silent since Terror in Resonance? (Space Dandy came out before that right?)

One Piece 752
nlOdN03.png

Absolutely Disgusting.

At least Bartolomeo finally left.

That character is terrible, and the fact that he's popular is baffling to me.

Proportions, how do they work :p

Deadly

Qualidea Code ep.5
WTF...WTF just happened? So wait, now they will all become
a zombie army for the alien ships that they have been fighting this whole time since they all have the chips planted in them by the doctor and teachers/leaders? Teanage toys for the evil adults?
WTF.. You felt bad for the dude because of what happened last week, but this went from ridiculous to XXXL ridiculous.
When was that implied? I totally must have missed something important in the episode :lol

zulux21

Re:zero 19

great set up episode.

though I fear next week.

I feel like we won't do another loop.... (not a spoiler as I haven't a clue what actually happens, but my fears for next episode that I spoiled since the idea is suffering)
thus I have a feeling to bring back the suffering the whale is going to eat Rem, the whale will be killed, we will find out it's a new check point after the main character kills himself due to rem dying, and discovers there is no way to bring Rem back at all @_@

Hand to Hand is acceptable, I know hand to hand will always exist because of range effectiveness regardless of ammo but axes feel a bit too outlandish for the setting. Probably a personal gripe, but the setting could have used something lower key (Like combat Knives) and it still could have worked more smoothly. That being said, I love the swiftness of the hand to hand violence which makes it easier to swallow. It's a small gripe in comparison to how fantastic the overall product is.

Well Haly explained it pretty well, but I figured they use axes because everyone wears zero-g suits in combat scenarios cuz its space and they needed to penetrate the suits

ITT we're shocked that One Piece has no anatomical realism when it comes to women after nearly 20 years.

bravo gOda. to be fair to Oda, toei makes it worse then it already is.

Eh, sometimes its good to let a strong, finished project just sit. I wouldn't rage against the machine if Cowboy Bebop 2 got announced but I'm more than satisfied with what we got. We don't need more, especially if you want to use the same cast. That being said, I could use more Watanabe anime in general. Has he really been radio silent since Terror in Resonance? (Space Dandy came out before that right?)

He directed the Death Parade ED after that. I would also keep an eye out for Yuri on Ice starting in October. Watanabe's been music producer on Sayo Yamamoto's previous 2 TV series, so it's likely for him to show up on this one as well.

Gvitor

Danganronpa 03 - Despair Arc 01

Welp, this was really good. I laughed a bunch of times, really missed these characters. Having the whole cast is so much better than having only Naegi, Asahina and Kirigiri on the future side. (Where are you, Togami? Hagakure doesn't count)

Though at least the premise was better estabilished on the first episode of the future arc, with a nice hook. There was no cliffhanger on despair's pilot, and I have no idea what the story will be like.

Cornbread78

When was that implied? I totally must have missed something important in the episode :lol

Just a guess, but the scene when
Aio was having her "code" implanted in her
and then when
tge aliens showed up, everyone's "code" started glowing and they were in a state of stasis

To be fair, its extremely difficult to write a science fiction scenario that is plausible at every corner, although because its modeled after actual time periods and empires like Austria-Hungary it stands out more. Star Trek's far more optimistic future doesn't really make a lot of sense when you break it down either.

Naturally, you need utility tools in order to break into areas. It's a sensible procedure. The lethality of the weapons is well conveyed in the animation, but not really the weight. Perhaps there's a new material from space. But this is the sort of explanation that I would have hoped from the series. That being said, minor gripe.

In the novel it said that Ovlessor's special 2 handed battle axe weighed like, 12kg. But its the future so it can be handwaved away by being some special nano filament or artificial diamond.

Edit: I just want to say Oberstein is the best. He reminds me of Kanki in Kingdom - this intelligent, slimy and morally bankrupt man that the rest of the generals/admirals despise not just because he's a bad person, but because his disgusting methods undeniably work.

Well Haly explained it pretty well, but I figured they use axes because everyone wears zero-g suits in combat scenarios cuz its space and they needed to penetrate the suits

bravo gOda. to be fair to Oda, toei makes it worse then it already is.

Oda has gotten worse in that regard over the years. Nami actually has the same extreme hourglass figure she had pre-timeskip as did Robin and many other female characters. Oda for some reason decided to get more skimpy with the clothing and blow up the size breasts.

To be fair though, Toei makes what was already ridiculous even more ridiculous.

To be fair, its extremely difficult to write a science fiction scenario that is plausible at every corner, although because its modeled after actual time periods and empires like Austria-Hungary it stands out more. Star Trek's far more optimistic future doesn't really make a lot of sense when you break it down either.

I don't really mind the anachronism in Legend of Galactic Heroes, and I don't really demand precise logical explanations for every part of a fictional setting. That kind of stuff usually bogs down a narrative (and LoGH get bogged down enough as it is!). I also agree that Star Trek's future is not particularly plausible; that's part of the reason I prefer Babylon 5 as sci-fi TV goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom