• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Was wondering what the gift for Premium CR members were at AX, and it just the bags (and course I chosen Kiznaiver :p)

44699883c34d99abb239712ccb9daf951467240106_full.png

Thought logging in on the comps there was going to send something to my account, but now I know it was just to confirm that you can get one of the bags.XD I got a Kabaneri poster from them too.

That has to be one of the ugliest things I've seen in my life. Novid was right.

studyguy

This Berserk adaptation. Just as expected, more bad CG. It feels wonky all over from the music to general sound design and the way the scenes cut. Christ, it's hard to tell what's even going on with some of these animations.

Yeah sure. Since I'm one of the only people who has seen it I'll say a bit more when I get back to my hotel

Alright I'm gonna elaborate on Your Name. As it stands now I may be the only person alive who didn't like the movie. I don't really like any Shinkai movie so that's not a surprise, though. Not to say that Your Name is bad, but it didn't do anything to change my opinion on Shinkai.

The movie looks beautiful. Really spectacular. There is one sequence in particular where
the male MC is having a dream with a red string of fate tied to his finger that looks ridiculously amazing.

I don't think any of the writing or plot was particularly good or interesting, and around the halfway point the movie just starts to move in circles in increasingly frustrating ways.
There are no less then four separate times when the two main characters slowly walk past each other and then turn around because they thought they recognized someone. I am not kidding. The entire narrative is based on the flimsiest of conveniences and coincidences.

I am not particularly sure why the movie had to have the comet thing in it along with the body swapping. Oh wait, I totally do - its so there can be more sad stuff. This isn't just a movie about two people body swapping, its also about a comet that crashes into a small town because a piece broke off of it and the male mc was body swapping through time and the female mc died three years ago and I dunno I thought that entire plotline was bad and thats most of the movie. It just made me want to go play more Zero Time Dilemma. But since this is Shinkai its thrown in there so we can trudge our way into increasingly contrived methods that boil down to attempting to make you cry because thats the epitome of all art. At the end of the day nothing matters about the merit of media for dumb kids like anime or video games beyond someone asking you "But did it make you cry?"

If you like other mediocre stuff other "omg da feelz" media like Clannad or ...any other Shinkai movie you'll probably like this.

tl;dr I didn't like it but I can already see the swathes of people proclaiming it to be a masterpiece. Which is fine, I don't really care. I'm still just apathetic on Shinkai.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 20

Heh, they basically stumbled onto the enemy's base. So the Headmaster isn't completely useless. Only mostly. At least they're justifying the big bad doing nothing this time. Backstory stuff. The reason he was searching for the Emerald will probably be important. The heroes are totally willing to kick a skeleton while it's down. Too bad he's not completely down. No, not Batty! He was great. And now I'm sad.

Maho Girls Precure 21

Wow, an actually good fight. A good mix-up of physical and magical attacks. The Cures now have teleportation and ground manipulation. Very diverse. Well, it's appropriate. So much for the gecko thing. For once there's a fight with a giant monster that's well animated and has legitimate back and forth with both sides getting hits in. Even the stock footage got to be more exciting than usual. Haa cements herself as the best of the uber fairies brigade even before the good stuff hits. Speaking of the good stuff, that's coming next episode, and we'll get to see what direction the second half is going. Looks like a Futari wa situation.

Mailbox

Sakamoto episode 12

I made my opinion on this show clear with my last post about it, and my feeling don't change with the ending. Enjoyable for what it was; you could do worse with your time.

Re:Zero episode 14

I can very well see why some people might be bowing out from this arc, considering the actions of Subaru. He's gotten to the point of thinking of his power as a crutch. As a necessity to others, but without understanding that isn't how things really work. I noticed this episode that they intentionally make Subaru seem evil and ugly during this arc when he snaps or when he acts selfishly. I enjoy that detail. We aren't supposed to like Subaru. From the new OP, it looks like we were right in assuming that the fight between Emilia and Subaru is a mainstay. That said, he still hasn't died this arc, and apparently we aren't done with what the reset situation will be. I think that because there is so much going on and so much growing Subaru has to make I think this will be a very interesting arc.

In previous arcs we only dealt with info and fixing a scenario, we are now seeing the affects of Subaru acting as a manipulator on his own psyche and this arc seems to work towards fixing not only a scenario, but also who Subaru is in and of himself.

best bet:
Rem doesn't remain dead (I hope)
and we'll end up not overtly hating Subaru by the end of the arc... maybe.

Mandelbo

ReZero 13 (7 minutes in or so)

"My name is Subaru and I am Emilia's best knight!"
What are you doing Subaru? I know everyone was already talking about this but is he genuinely just saying what he wants because he feels like he can? Why is he so insistent on pushing himself to the forefront constantly despite Emilia telling him to stay out of it over and over again? The only thing he's good at is running away!

ReZero 13 (7 minutes in or so)

"My name is Subaru and I am Emilia's best knight!"
What are you doing Subaru? I know everyone was already talking about this but is he genuinely just saying what he wants because he feels like he can? Why is he so insistent on pushing himself to the forefront constantly despite Emilia telling him to stay out of it over and over again? The only thing he's good at is digging holes!

ftfy

Mandelbo

At this point it feels like he's making enemies for the sake of it - he has no reason to act the way he does towards Julius, his speech did nothing but undermine Emilia AND he pissed off the entirety of the Knights. I mean, I guess he's just stopped thinking about how his actions affect those around him? Really want to see him get his comeuppance.

Ascheroth

At this point it feels like he's making enemies for the sake of it - he has no reason to act the way he does towards Julius, his speech did nothing but undermine Emilia AND he pissed off the entirety of the Knights. I mean, I guess he's just stopped thinking about how his actions affect those around him? Really want to see him get his comeuppance.

He's jealous of Julius because he kissed Emilias hand when they first met. That's all.
As for the knight thing, I think he meant it in a figurative sense, but of course the real knights took it literal and felt their pride attacked (rightfully so) and when they confronted Subaru he felt himself pushed into a corner and just kept doubling down on his inane bullshit.
He has basically consciously or subconsciously thrown all caution through the window because of his power. That might also be a part of why he's acting like an asshole to most everyone, because they are not going to remember what he said anyway once he dies. At least that's what I think is partly influencing his actions along of him just being jealous and petty.

Thoraxes

Ikuhara-sama Sailor Moon this year too!
TOO MUCH ANIME
I'm going to probably start doing some overtime in the upcoming weeks cause shit.
Code Geass Collectors Edition
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/07/03/code-geass-is-returning-to-home-video/

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and Code Geass R2 are returning to home video, with their first release on Blu-ray in North America, on October 4, 2016! Pre-orders will go up on funimation.com in just under 2 weeks on July 15.

Back for the series’ 10th anniversary, both seasons of Code Geass will feature a brand-new Japanese 5.1 surround sound audio mix used on the recent Japanese Blu-ray box sets—an entirely new viewing experience from previous releases. This isn’t just the original stereo audio re-mastered: the music and sound effects have actually been painstakingly re-recorded, all under the quality supervision of director Goro Taniguchi himself, to really immerse you in all the action and drama. We’re ecstatic to bring you this special new version, in addition to the original Japanese stereo audio and the original English dub

Both seasons will be available in a 10th anniversary Collector’s Edition set that features a handsome chipboard box accentuated with metallic inks. Inside, the set will include 16 gorgeous art cards featuring illustrations from the world-renown manga artists, CLAMP, who created the character designs for the series. These frame-worthy cards include a beautiful pearlescent finish that enhances each unique illustration. This art was previously featured in a Japan-only art book.
The release also comes with hours of extras, including Japanese voice actor commentary and English voice actor interviews, plus picture dramas.

FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YESSSSSSSSSSSS

I just fist-pumped. Yesss.

Now we only have a few more shows on the Bandai rescue list to go! I'm talkin' 'bout you, Outlaw Star.

Haruhi Complete in September. Geass in October. God damn.
"Kiznaiver BDs are adding a shit ton of details to everything"

Adding cut art, etc

-Trigger Panel
I really do hope we get a bluray release here in the US. Hopefully the numbers were good enough that it's deemed okay. It doesn't seem to be doing too hot in Japan iirc.
@RPGSite
Nekopara anime is coming soon to Kickstarter! #AX2016

xge4T72.png
I'll back this, but it depends what kind of anime it is...

Also Saori confirmed V3 should be this year too, which means Maple and Cinnamon for that.

He's jealous of Julius because he kissed Emilias hand when they first met. That's all.
As for the knight thing, I think he meant it in a figurative sense, but of course the real knights took it literal and felt their pride attacked (rightfully so) and when they confronted Subaru he felt himself pushed into a corner and just kept doubling down on his inane bullshit.
He has basically consciously or subconsciously thrown all caution through the window because of his power. That might also be a part of why he's acting like an asshole to most everyone, because they are not going to remember what he said anyway once he dies. At least that's what I think is partly influencing his actions along of him just being jealous and petty.
Also doesn't help he's on this whole bullshit "Only I can save Emilia, only I can protect her. I'm the only one who understands her!!!"

Lets not forget them talking shit about his waifu, which also triggered him into assholery.

Dio

Banned
The way I see it, the show is hammering home how many issues Subaru has with being seen as worthless, tying in with the fact that he was a shut-in back in our world.

He's genre-aware - but he's probably read so many of these shitty isekai stories that he thinks he really is a chosen one, or that everything is riding on him.

Remember in the first episode, when he tries to do magic, assuming he could do it because he was transferred into what he thought was a cliche 'another world' story?
I'm pretty sure that the idea is pretty deep rooted into his mind that he is finally important, and that his awareness of stories like this seems to have given him the idea that he is a destined hero.

The only problem is, the people who mill around in this world aren't really treating him the way an isekai protagonist 'should be treated' - and he takes it personally.

Mandelbo

Yeah, I'd describe it as petty too. Julius' kiss obviously wasn't meant romantically but rather as a sign of respect - either Subaru's completely oblivious or he's inventing rivalries to try and justify his mentality that only he can protect Emilia.

The way I see it, the show is hammering home how many issues Subaru has with being seen as worthless, tying in with the fact that he was a shut-in back in our world.

He's genre-aware - but he's probably read so many of these shitty isekai stories that he thinks he really is a chosen one, or that everything is riding on him.

Remember in the first episode, when he tries to do magic, assuming he could do it because he was transferred into what he thought was a cliche 'another world' story?
I'm pretty sure that the idea is pretty deep rooted into his mind that he is finally important, and that his awareness of stories like this seems to have given him the idea that he is a destined hero.

The only problem is, the people who mill around in this world aren't really treating him the way an isekai protagonist 'should be treated' - and he takes it personally.

Yep.

Unfortunately, one of the big lessons he needs to learn is that he is essentially worthless on his own. His ability can't take him far if he lacks the support to carry out his plan. He's a cog in a machine.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Isnt the con still going on this Monday.
I'm preparing for the future.
The way I see it, the show is hammering home how many issues Subaru has with being seen as worthless, tying in with the fact that he was a shut-in back in our world
Re:Zero's structure creates long paths that repeatedly loop back in on themselves. Subaru has already exposed the worst parts of himself, and now the viewer is stuck watching that on repeat for who knows how long. More than that, what is even left of this character that is supposed to be good, redeeming, or likable in any way? The manner in which he's conducted himself has made everything he's ever accomplished feel emotionally fraudulent. He's not the interesting kind of scum either, he's just some fedora tipping loser.

Jintor

love live sunshine 1

this is probably to be expected but the pre-op scene is recognisably set in akihabara. i recognised several locations immediately. hell, i've probably looked at that exact screen before. lot less chinese tourists in love live though apparently

Woah what's with this cloud transition shot? Why? gorgeous for no reason

this isn't bad. it's got a nice kind of energy to it. the 3 first-years were really manic. kinda a pity they're repeating the 'mean student council president' plotline i guess. I like the new setting, a seaside/bayside town is a nice change

wtf was with that sudden vocal track? Is that... an accent...?

omg this kid threw her clothes away in the wind and then MC teleported over to do the stop it suicide not the answer gag. lmao.

jesus that was like 8 skips. you're not normal kid. you can skip stones

all these dang panning shots. lmao. like they're just showing off their budget

Jintor

yeah i wasn't expecting the idol industry to touch such a socially controversial topic either but hey man if you sprinkle idols on it you can do whatever you want

to be serious though the chuuni idol is definitely best idol

TrueBlue

I will say it is really hard to like Subaru at this juncture. I know that's probably the point, but I wonder if the show can effectively bring viewers back on his side. It'll be interesting to see, if nothing else.

Next episode must have a reset though. I'm not sure another episode of Subaru being a cunt will serve any purpose.

So Daisuki will be offering a paid premium tier but..
The premium membership will have a monthly cost of US$5, and will allow access to simultaneous streaming for certain titles (as opposed to a time delay for standard free members), as well as streaming of older anime titles, and a lower advertisement frequency. The paid membership will also include "other special, member-exclusive goodies." While the service will launch in the United States and Canada, ACJ plans to expand the premium membership tier to other territories.

Umm if you want my cash that 'lower frequency' better be 'once in a millennia'

Qurupeke

Shin Sekai Yori 14-17
OZdCMJ1.png

Red lens glasses are back, better than ever.
I'm actually happy that the shift is on the rats again, as its the second most interesting aspect of the story, after Karmic Demons/Ogres. Squealer actually reminds me of the pigs on Orwell's Animal Farm, but it seems he won't be satisfied with just being equal with the humans. The rats really creeped me out several times since their introduction, but it's now worse than ever. The thing they did to their queens, the fact that they become more and more human and Squealer's manipulation... And they seem to reproduce with a tremendous pace too.

I think I really enjoy Saki as a protagonist. The time skips have made it possible to witness the results of her development and now that she's an adult, her acquired maturity is clear and she still retains her strong but caring personality. The same applies to Satoru too, as he's still energetic but not reckless.

I wonder where the story with Maria will head now, as it's being teased a lot. I'm really afraid that the rats have done something terrible.

Ascheroth

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter (First 15 minutes)

I have no idea how I managed to survive this long considering I finished First Chapter months ago.
I did nothing except reading dialog but it's so gooood.

Trails in the Sky Second Chapter (First 15 minutes)

I have no idea how I managed to survive this long considering I finished First Chapter months ago.
I did nothing except reading dialog but it's so gooood.

What a coincidence, I just started SC last night myself. I had just finished my replay of FC an hour or so beforehand, so it really felt just like continuing a play after an intermission between acts. Now I had originally played FC back when it was first released in English in 2011 - it was really painful for about a year or so afterwards not to be able to easily go right into SC, but eventually the pain dulled and was forgotten about. I remembered it last night, of course. What a killer of an "ending". The opening of SC was a real tearjerker as well. Looking forward to
bringing back Joshua and punching Weismann very hard in the face.

I started FC a year ago but have more recently started Cold Steel, and honestly, I'm finding myself more into that than FC.

Cold Steel probably has the best fantasy magic anime high school setting I've ever seen. Maybe it's because the bar has been set so low because of all the LNs, but something about Cold Steel's setting and characters come off as likeable enough that I'm finding myself more and more invested and I'm only on Chapter 2.

I do plan to return to FC eventually, but right now Cold Steel is my priority.

Ascheroth

What a coincidence, I just started SC last night myself. I had just finished my replay of FC an hour or so beforehand, so it really felt just like continuing a play after an intermission between acts. Now I had originally played FC back when it was first released in English in 2011 - it was really painful for about a year or so afterwards not to be able to easily go right into SC, but eventually the pain dulled and was forgotten about. I remembered it last night, of course. What a killer of an "ending". The opening of SC was a real tearjerker as well. Looking forward to
bringing back Joshua and punching Weismann very hard in the face.

I might just go back and replay the ending before continuing on, but the game did a good job at getting me to remember everything that happened I think. It really starts where it left off.
Coming back to Rolent and talking with everyone brought back so many memories and at the same time it was really sad
seeing Estelle being all delusional and everyone around her noticing.
What a good game.

Mandelbo

ReZero 14

How can one person be any more of a twat? He's reached the point where he's desperate enough to play hero that he's actually happy that Emilia's in serious danger, and he's ignoring literally every piece of advice he's being given because of his arrogance! He doesn't deserve Rem at all! Basically I agree that Subaru's outlook is fundamentally flawed because he's under the impression that he has to be the hero and that he can't be worthless because of all the parallel world stories he's seen before. Please can he be put in his place already?

While I see what they're trying to do by making Subaru act like he is (and I appreciate that the way he acted for the majority of the mansion arc was essentially an act), they certainly could've gone about it in a more nuanced way rather than making his personality fall off a cliff.

Hypocrite of the century!

Just T

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: 14

The page faces were a bit unsettling lol.

ReZero: 14

Get a grip Subaru.

Assassination Classroom: Final Episode

Wonderful finish.

JulianImp

Re:Zero #14

I kind of like how Subaru's ability to relive the same scenarios over and over until he can get through them without dying have led him to invoke his supposed main character status, pushing himself to stupid extents that end up costing everything to both him and the people the supposedly cares about. It's particularily interesting how this appears to be, at its core, a masochist story about showing a guy get broken and driven to insanity over and over by the extreme despair of losing everything around him, on top of not being able to actually speak about it to others due to plot reasons.

Him having to solve increasingly complicated mysteries along the way certainly helps the story by giving Subaru (and us, the audience) something that we can slowly piece together as he goes through repeated deaths, rather than making his despair the sole focus of the show.

ReWrite #1

This double-length introductory episode felt like it did all kinds of things wrong, ranging from awful slapstick and generic cast to not explaining a single relevant thing in its 48-minute running time. Is this yet another single-cour Key show that will get rushed to hell and back to deliver everything its source material did?

ReLife #1-13 (End)

That was nice show. The climax being limited to two side characters hooking up and the promise that the MC might be just what subject #01 needed to change for the better was really, really underwhelming, though. Both subjects being stuck in the predicament of their existence being erased after the experiment ends is interesting because neither of them want to get emotionally invested in others because of it, but they're slowly developing feelings for each other even in spite of that, which is quite heartwarming.

Still, god freaking damn that "read the manga" ending... On top of that, Crunchy only having the manga up to the end of the volleyball arc was like rubbing salt in the wound.

Eumi

So, am I supposed to like Erina? Because she's the worst but it almost feels like she's being set up as the main girl rather than a villain.

Honestly it's almost getting in the way of taking the whole hierarchy seriously. Everyone treats her like a big deal but Soma's already shown that he's better than her, and she knows that and is just ignoring it. I know this isn't exactly a serious show but they need to hurry up and have her lose before anyone else can actually come across as a threat, because seeing everyone bow down to someone the mc beat (in a sense) without even trying is kind of unintentionally hilarious.

catching up to my shows, the other day i saw a post saying ReLife is the anime of the year and thought to myself "probably another shitty show"

i was so wrong, currently on episode 9 and wow, couldn't agree more. it is freaking hilarious and sad.

edit: ^^ usually this kind of 12 episodes shows to me are always incomplete, i always thought of reading the manga since anime dont usually tell the whole story (specially with short shows)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Bananya Episode 1:

How is this a series? I do not understand how more then one episode of this premise is going to sustain itself.

Seiniyta

Re:Zero 14

When I started watching the anime I thought Subaru's character felt really over the top in how he responded to everything and how self-important he found himself and didn't like that too much but as the show progressed I really like how they're handling his character making the show quite interesting to me. Reminds me a lot of Steins;Gate where I wasn't a fan of Rintarō Okabe initially either.

I don't 'like' his character, but I can't stop watching his progress as a character and the overall plot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The movie looks beautiful. Really spectacular. There is one sequence in particular where
the male MC is having a dream with a red string of fate tied to his finger that looks ridiculously amazing.

I don't think any of the writing or plot was particularly good or interesting, and around the halfway point the movie just starts to move in circles in increasingly frustrating ways.
There are no less then four separate times when the two main characters slowly walk past each other and then turn around because they thought they recognized someone. I am not kidding. The entire narrative is based on the flimsiest of conveniences and coincidences.
So a Shinkai film then. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom