• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ahhhh no.
No it doesn't lol
Oh well. :p

I haven't heard anyone mention anything about nostalgia. It sounds like it's around the area of depression of being an adult and wanting a 2nd chance at something.
I think what makes it different is that it's an adult who goes back to high school. There are a few (that I know of) manga that are basically about high school kids who find a way to relive their highschool lives, but having an adult wanting to go back to highschool would somehow imply being an adult (at least for this character) is bad in some way.

Its just more of helping others to not finish high school with regrets.
So he's just a catalyst for other stories?

I'm not sure why you continue to follow anime if what you're really after is sociological analysis. I mean, there's occasionally anime that has fodder for that kind of discussion, such as Concrete Revolutio with its retrospective look at mid-20th century Japanese history, but in general it's better to stick to independent live-action film for that kind of stuff.
Well, the more high concept something becomes, they more I just wonder if there's a justification for the text's conceit in the first place.

I mean you look at Boku wa Mari no Naka, which is at least similar in concept in terms of a 20-something being turned into a highschool girl (although I have no idea if there's a twist where it's actually the girl being psychotic and dreaming up the whole scenario herself), and it uses the concept to do things with gender and social expectations - particularly since the guy is a college dropout who is hiding from his mother.

Aki-at

Tanaka-kun is always listless - 9

Tanaka2.jpg

His little sister is a bit too obsessed over him... I didn't sign up for this.

The laugh following the line was perfect haha.

Kickstart it and I'll bless it with my kickstarter blessing where nothing I've backed has failed!!

edit: wow

Hm... Now all I'll have to do is log all my family out of my Netflix account and I'll be SAFE watching this.

Narag

Kabaneri 8

I think I have far less problem with Biba than I thought I would given Mumei's role as the bridge between the "normal people" and Biba's band of eccentrics. Her initial costume change felt strange but it was more or less foreshadowing of Biba's crew as she visually fit right in during group shots. Mumei's earlier poor decision making with anything involving Biba rears its head again which means the early mistake that nearly killed everyone off wasn't exactly out of nowhere despite feeling that way at the time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I mean you look at Boku wa Mari no Naka, which is at least similar in concept in terms of a 20-something being turned into a highschool girl (although I have no idea if there's a twist where it's actually the girl being psychotic and dreaming up the whole scenario herself), and it uses the concept to do things with gender and social expectations - particularly since the guy is a college dropout who is hiding from his mother.
SoBayed WHERE ARE YOU NOW ONODERA FANSHITS SoBayed YOU THINK SHE IS THE PROMISED GIRL HUH SoBayed RAKU IS BANGING CHITOGE NOW AtIvy

TUSR

Banned
my buddy said LWA tv show looks good

apparently there was a preview at AX?

characters (new+old), lots of backgrounds, sketches, rough version of the PV comning up, etc

Well, the more high concept something becomes, they more I just wonder if there's a justification for the text's conceit in the first place.

In ReLIFE, the main character is a 27 year old unemployed guy who can't get a job because he quit his previous job after three months and whose parents have just told him they aren't going to support him financially anymore. So he has what appears to be a dead-end life. I don't know if there's any intent on the part of the creator to make any larger social statement.

Wanderer5

my buddy said LWA tv show looks good

apparently there was a preview at AX?

characters (new+old), lots of backgrounds, sketches, rough version of the PV comning up, etc

Yep. OMG the Trigger panel was fucking awesome. It was soooo nice to see alot of the artwork for Luluco and Kiznaiver especially. I don't know where to start lol. There was a Over Justice drawing of him being in a wheelchair with flaming wheels and shotguns as the handle lol.

Also Luluco was originally going to be 4 seasons, but they ended up squeezing it into one lol.

Wanderer5

Man I had so much fun today. Both the Blue Exorcist and Trigger panel were just a blast.
I not sure about LWA series on Netflix for now, but well I probably sub for the show heh.

I should go check the gift I got for being a premium member at crunchyroll.

Wanderer5

Mai Yoneyama (character designer of Kiznaiver) was such to a joy to see at the Trigger panel, and even more so as we were shown of many concept arts of characters and backgrounds. And maaaan those blu-ray covers. She also noted at one point that Yuta was the easiest to draw cause he has the least line detail, while Nico was the hardest heh.

Speaking of Nico, there was a early design of her having a Senketsu like outfit lol.

I didn't realize that Mai designed Racing Miku 2016 (through now I seeing some Nico-ish in her).

Racingmiku2016v1R_588x.jpg

Oh for fucks sake, I literally just cancelled my Netflix sub to resub to Funimation. Oh well, guess I've got plenty of time before LWA actually comes out.

Wanderer5

Was wondering what the gift for Premium CR members were at AX, and it just the bags (and course I chosen Kiznaiver :p)

44699883c34d99abb239712ccb9daf951467240106_full.png

Thought logging in on the comps there was going to send something to my account, but now I know it was just to confirm that you can get one of the bags.XD I got a Kabaneri poster from them too.

Wanderer5

The Kiznaiver bag and Kabaneri poster are all we've seen before, I'm guessing?

Yeah the Kiznaiver bag image is one of the pre-airing posters the anime had and the Kabaneri poster is basically this but with a smaller coming to DVD/Blu-ray promo

I did get a pretty cool mini like poster of Blue Exorcist from the panel of said series through.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh well. :p

I think what makes it different is that it's an adult who goes back to high school. There are a few (that I know of) manga that are basically about high school kids who find a way to relive their highschool lives, but having an adult wanting to go back to highschool would somehow imply being an adult (at least for this character) is bad in some way.

So he's just a catalyst for other stories?

I actually have daydreamed about going back to high school via time travel somehow and being worried about how I'd manage in math. I found it funny that this show actually portrayed this.

I actually have daydreamed about going back to high school via time travel somehow and being worried about how I'd manage in math. I found it funny that this show actually portrayed this.

I assume everyone who didn't go on to work in a STEM-related field has thought once or twice, "Wow, I've totally forgotten everything I learned in my math classes."

blurr

I am not alone on this huh. Some of the math I've learned is actually useful currently but I end up googling them for a review. At least I remember the names.

Nihonjin no Shiranai Nihongo 06

Another weeaboo episode.

Quasar

Yeah. And it did remind me a fair bit of my own personal experience. Not that I went back to high school as an adult, but I did go to university after a substantial break after high school. So recalling math skills after not using anything more than arithmetic for a few years was pretty scary.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They kind of fucked MC over too, he is going to a school that was harder than his original school lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom