• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendrox

So, am I supposed to like Erina? Because she's the worst but it almost feels like she's being set up as the main girl rather than a villain.

Honestly it's almost getting in the way of taking the whole hierarchy seriously. Everyone treats her like a big deal but Soma's already shown that he's better than her, and she knows that and is just ignoring it. I know this isn't exactly a serious show but they need to hurry up and have her lose before anyone else can actually come across as a threat, because seeing everyone bow down to someone the mc beat (in a sense) without even trying is kind of unintentionally hilarious.

No he hasn't shown yet that he is better. He has only shown that he is able to cook good.

You are also not supposed to like her if you don't like Tsun Tsun characters. She gets cute later on in the manga.

Zesteria 1

Interesting that the ending showed the Berseria protagonist a bit. I know they take place in the same universe, but I wonder if that means she'll be showing up in this anime as well, and if so, how?

Line_HTX

So, am I supposed to like Erina? Because she's the worst but it almost feels like she's being set up as the main girl rather than a villain.

Honestly it's almost getting in the way of taking the whole hierarchy seriously. Everyone treats her like a big deal but Soma's already shown that he's better than her, and she knows that and is just ignoring it. I know this isn't exactly a serious show but they need to hurry up and have her lose before anyone else can actually come across as a threat, because seeing everyone bow down to someone the mc beat (in a sense) without even trying is kind of unintentionally hilarious.

Yes, you are supposed to like Miss Perfection.

;)

Line_HTX

catching up to my shows, the other day i saw a post saying ReLife is the anime of the year and thought to myself "probably another shitty show"

i was so wrong, currently on episode 9 and wow, couldn't agree more. it is freaking hilarious and sad.

edit: ^^ usually this kind of 12 episodes shows to me are always incomplete, i always thought of reading the manga since anime dont usually tell the whole story (specially with short shows)

Adaptations tend to be half assed since their goal is to simply promote the manga so that the manga would get a boost in sales in general.

I read your post in Fisk's voice, lmao

Eumi

Ok, so, continuing on from the last ep, I actually think they really fucked up Erina as an intro opponent.

Because, as I already said, Soma already beat her first challenge to the point that her pride actively got in the way of her job. So already she's a hypocrite and a liar which really gets in the way of her whole prideful act. If you're trying to be a prideful villain in a Shonen story then unless you're a joke you need to actually be able to back that up. Instead we're just being told that she's good with no real evidence that that's the case, since the viewer can't actually taste the food.

The reason I think this is a problem isn't because I don't like her though, it's because she's actively taking down other characters. Mito could have been a great intro to the cook offs but, knowing that Soma has to win or else he'll be expelled and the series will be over, it's kind of a joke. She's Erina's underling which just means she's worse than Erina, so there's no tension.

Despite all my bitching though, it's only because I am loving this show. It's managed to apply a Shonen type plot to a non fighting anime, which is always something I can appreciate. Most of the characters are great and the fanservice is (usually) being used in a way that's actually funny rather than creepy (that tentacle stuffs still pretty gross though).

I'm sure I'll be complaining about it again soon, but it's the only way I know to show that I care.

Despite all my bitching though, it's only because I am loving this show. It's managed to apply a Shonen type plot to a non fighting anime, which is always something I can appreciate.

They are fighting; it's just through cooking instead of physically beating each other up.

Just T

At the very least, looking forward to the visuals of "Your Name", not expecting much from the plot though. I've seen three of Makoto Shinkai's movies: 5 Centimeters Per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Garden of Words.

I thought 5cm was terrible for the most part, The Place Promised in Our Early Days was very boring but Garden of Words was pretty straight.

At the very least, looking forward to the visuals of "Your Name", not expecting much from the plot though. I've seen three of Makoto Shinkai's movies: 5 Centimeters Per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Garden of Words.

I thought 5cm was terrible for the most part, The Place Promised in Our Early Days was very boring but Garden of Words was pretty straight.

It looks fantastic. No way around that.

ReLIFE 3 - 13
I didn't expect a good adaptation from a webtoon, but it was quite good and had a good pace.

Sakamoto desu ga? 12
Can we conclude that Sakamoto is from Mars?

Sölf

You are also not supposed to like her if you don't like Tsun Tsun characters. She gets cute later on in the manga.

I love tsundere characters, but god, I hate Erina. She is horrible. At least the anime blessed us with best girl Megumin.

Qurupeke

Shin Sekai Yori 18-23
Qm8FhFv.png

LOCAL RAT RUINS EVERYTHING
The first few of these episodes were excellent. The show always seemed dark, but there's nothing worse than war, so I guess this is its peak. First time humanity actually loses and it's just insane how much death there is. Some scenes were hard to stomach, like the infant abduction. And the hospital scene had me on the edge all the time. It's ironic that Saki saved that monstrosity, things would be different now. Oh, also, I'm actually surprised that the "ogre" is
Maria's and Mamoru's child, I expected it to be an insane and vengeful Maria, but it makes sense because of the time skips. RIP Mamoru and Maria.

The later half of these episodes have been pretty disappointing though. I'm generally a fan of these kind of expeditions and seeing weird underground creatures, but this seems like something that would happen around the half-point of the show, not on the climax. The show just seems to keep dragging the inevitable final confrontation. The uneasiness of a powerful stalker is now gone, as they have wasted 2-3 episodes saying "I smell them, they're coming.", but the enemy is surely taking their time. Also, the whole thing with the "Psycho Buster" seems kind of dumb. The show did a great job foreshadowing a lot of future stuff, but unless I missed something or it hasn't been shown yet, this seems like the definition of a deus ex machina, which kind of sucks.

Eumi

That ending scene with Soma and Erina humming the ED together was kinda cu-

No! Stop tricking me into liking her show! You can't do it!

Im totally gonna come around on her aren't I?

Puzzle & Dragons Cross Episode 1
CmiWAVyWAAQ_nIY.jpg:small
CmiWirUXEAAiE9U.jpg:small

Excellent character design for Ace and Lance. The Dragon Caller seems like a interesting occupation and filled with various monsters that I just cant wait to see. Ace having an ability to summon drops when needed makes him a great asset to Lance's powerful dragons.

I also like how serious the story is with a SDF, potential baddies summoning dragons, and then the random Drop's that could endanger everyone. I hope the big plot is introduced next episode to send our favorites on a journey of epic proportions.
Cmif1q_WIAA8t6D.jpg:small
Cmif1qrW8AAzj1q.jpg:small

CmigMn3WgAEhHZP.jpg:small
CmigNUUXYAAfZTv.jpg:small

ED has some pretty awesome moments too. Fell in love with it instantly. Its going to be hard for any anime this season to compare to this episode one.Pierrot once again delivers!

That's what tsunderes do man. They beat you to a pulp until you like them :'v
keep posting more reactions, I wanna read what you feel about the later episodes >:)

Line_HTX

You're gonna like Erina and like it!

;P

Chihayafuru 4 (Rewatch)

Using a wafting cherry blossom pedal to smoothly visually transition from young Chihaya and Taichi saying goodbye to Arata to older Chihaya brooding silently on the train across from Taichi - that's the sort of visualization that gets me invested.

gargles

Amaama to Inazuma - 1

If Danganronpa 3 won't kill me with suffering and despair, this will do it but with pure and unprocessed sweetness. Definitely need more Tsumugi. Such a sweet child.

With Danganronpa, this, and Mob Psycho; these Mondays will be extremely interesting.

Amaama to Inazuma 01

This is too cute, pure and sugary sweet for my dark soul. I can feel myself getting diabetes and my body healing.

KraytarJ

She's fine but Megumi is the true star of the show

Re:Zero #14

I kind of like how Subaru's ability to relive the same scenarios over and over until he can get through them without dying have led him to invoke his supposed main character status, pushing himself to stupid extents that end up costing everything to both him and the people the supposedly cares about. It's particularily interesting how this appears to be, at its core, a masochist story about showing a guy get broken and driven to insanity over and over by the extreme despair of losing everything around him, on top of not being able to actually speak about it to others due to plot reasons.

Him having to solve increasingly complicated mysteries along the way certainly helps the story by giving Subaru (and us, the audience) something that we can slowly piece together as he goes through repeated deaths, rather than making his despair the sole focus of the show.

ReWrite #1

This double-length introductory episode felt like it did all kinds of things wrong, ranging from awful slapstick and generic cast to not explaining a single relevant thing in its 48-minute running time. Is this yet another single-cour Key show that will get rushed to hell and back to deliver everything its source material did?

ReLife #1-13 (End)

That was nice show. The climax being limited to two side characters hooking up and the promise that the MC might be just what subject #01 needed to change for the better was really, really underwhelming, though. Both subjects being stuck in the predicament of their existence being erased after the experiment ends is interesting because neither of them want to get emotionally invested in others because of it, but they're slowly developing feelings for each other even in spite of that, which is quite heartwarming.

Still, god freaking damn that "read the manga" ending... On top of that, Crunchy only having the manga up to the end of the volleyball arc was like rubbing salt in the wound.

How many things that start with RE are there this season?!!

Puzzle and Dragons Cross 01

Well I gotta say that was certainly entertaining. They jumped right into the action pretty quickly and left on a nice cliffhanger and make me want to watch again next week.

Thoraxes

I started FC a year ago but have more recently started Cold Steel, and honestly, I'm finding myself more into that than FC.

Cold Steel probably has the best fantasy magic anime high school setting I've ever seen. Maybe it's because the bar has been set so low because of all the LNs, but something about Cold Steel's setting and characters come off as likeable enough that I'm finding myself more and more invested and I'm only on Chapter 2.

I do plan to return to FC eventually, but right now Cold Steel is my priority.

It really is quite good. I happened to really like the world-building in particular, and the chemistry between the cast is great! Hell, I even got the platinum for it and still plan on replaying it for a fourth time later this year before Cold Steel 2 hits.

I will say that after you finish Cold Steel, finishing FC/SC will fill in a ton of blanks and change how you see many of the events of Cold Steel.

KraytarJ

ReZero 14
So that was probably the most fucked episode yet, in a "good" way I think the downward trend of late has been at least held off for a week. Subaru thinks he's this grand savior that can fix everything on his own and is Emilia's only hope, then seeing the village and mansion destroyed. Clearly Subaru is already gone but seeing Rem like that and the villagers brutally killed, with god knows what waiting for him in the mansion. Surely a rewind is going to be waiting for him soon, if he's lucky, and regardless of whether or not he gets it it's going to be interesting to see him try to bounce back from this one.

Exalted

Taboo Tattoo Episode 1

That was quite fun, didn't expect such a goofy tone from this show. It also had some really great action scenes and martial art fights with some decent comedy to boot. The toast and cat scenes really took me by surprise :)

z0XWvUu.gif

Taboo Tattoo 1
giphy.gif

Stop, stop! He's already dead!

Other than this scene, meh. The show feels like it could be divided into two parts. Some reasonably well done aspects, and the FUCKING ANIME aspects. Awkward anime humor, uncomfortable direction, bad CG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom