• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Do people really hate Rezero that much on here?

Apparently, but then that seems to happen a lot here. Not that I can talk given I dropped it around the end of cour 1. I don't hate it though, its just not something I'm interested it. Same is true of AoT and any of the other popular shonen titles.

Russ T

Banned
There are a decent amount of people who participate in this thread. Shouldn't be surprising that people don't all have the same tastes!

I liked the first two arcs of Rezero, the latest arc has just been maudlin and emotionally manipulative in a real clumsy way (there's a reason I've compared it to Jun Maeda works). Though the last episode was alright.

There are a decent amount of people who participate in this thread. Shouldn't be surprising that people don't all have the same tastes!
Yeah, I guess being negative just sounds more vocal cause they make it sound worse than what it is.

True everyone has different tastes....

Syrinx

I watched 1a and 1b and wasn't particularly impressed. I've kinda been meaning to watch a couple more eps but haven't gotten around to it.

I don't think most people hate Re:Zero. I think a lot of people in here are just kind of ambivalent towards it. I personally only watched one episode, and never got around to continuing it. I just didn't feel the urge to.

Yeah, I guess being negative just sounds more vocal cause they make it sound worse than what it is.

It always seems worst when people hate something you like.

Also animegaf being split on a show is quite normal. Read a little and you will see people shtting on the most popular stuff.

ibyea

Banned
I don't think most people hate Re:Zero. I think a lot of people in here are just kind of ambivalent towards it. I personally only watched one episode, and never got around to continuing it. I just didn't feel the urge to.

Yeah I feel the same way. Dropped it around episode 7.

Line_HTX

I'll marathon it at the end of the season. I don't like it as much as everyone else.

Besides, the more important shows that I think needs more exposure is 91 Days and Alderamin on the Sky.

Cornbread78

Cowboy Bebop ep.25-END
cowboy+bebop+the+real+folks+blues+part+2+screen.PNG
Oh wow. What a closing, just wow. Whoever said last week that there should be a continuation of the show was out of their mind after that ending. Poor Faye, I mean, dammmmn.. I wasn't expecting that one at all. Really well done. My only gripe with ghe show is the episodic approaxh they took to tell Spike's story. I mean, they give you bits and pieces along the way, but that central story from the two middle episodes and the end would have been great...

Damn, that ending though..

I'll marathon it at the end of the season. I don't like it as much as everyone else.

Besides, the more important shows that I think needs more exposure is 91 Days and Alderamin on the Sky.

Yeah. I guess it's a polarizing show, Anything that gets that popular really fast seems to be.

I need to start watching 91days. I went camping and didn't see anything this weekend.

Re:Zero is the thing that keeps me going through the week. I don't really look forward to any other show in the same way as I do with Re:Zero. I like it quite a bit, but my tastes aren't as refined as most folks here anyway.

Re:Zero is the thing that keeps me going through the week. I don't really look forward to any other show in the same way as I do with Re:Zero. I like it quite a bit, but my tastes aren't as refined as most folks here anyway.
Yeah same here, it's been the only anime I've followed this season. I haven't done that since food wars and Ore monogatari.
Cowboy Bebop ep.25-END

Oh wow. What a closing, just wow. Whoever said last week that there should be a continuation of the show was out of their mind after that ending. Poor Faye, I mean, dammmmn.. I wasn't expecting that one at all. Really well done. My only gripe with ghe show is the episodic approaxh they took to tell Spike's story. I mean, they give you bits and pieces along the way, but that central story from the two middle episodes and the end would have been great...

Damn, that ending though..

This and the episode where he fights at a church are my favorite. Fantastic series.

Also... You already finished FMA?! I must have missed the review post :/

I liked the first two arcs of Rezero, the latest arc has just been maudlin and emotionally manipulative in a real clumsy way (there's a reason I've compared it to Jun Maeda works). Though the last episode was alright.
I stopped watching at the second arc as the show wasn't going anywhere I was interested in going and I read about the next arc.

It was an enjoyable enough show and I can see why it's popular, just not for me in the slightest.

Do inform me on those titles. If they are really better then re:zero, then they are at least worth checking out.

Showa Rakugo Genroku Shinju, Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro, Osomatsu-san, Mob Pscyho 100, Haikyuu, Gintama, Thunderbolt Fantasy, Diamond is Unbreakable, Kiznaiver, Space Patrol Luluco even Erased...nearly everything I actually finished this year I've liked better then Re:Zero. Hell I even like Love Live, Dragon Ball Super, Flying Witch and Galko-chan more plus Danganronpa but thats only for established fans. It's better then Kabaneri, Bakuon Maiyoga and My Hero Academia I guess.

Maybe such high praise for episode 15 and stuff colored my expectations, but maybe I should have seen it was in the top 25 on MAL despite being half over and adjusted my expectations but I feel like I'm in a completely different boat then everyone who likes the show. In fact, I liked the show better before episode 15...

I don't hate the show but I don't like it much either. I'm mostly apathetic, and only talk about it so much because its the show to talk about. Its like how I Am Setsuna and Furi probably won't be on my top 10 games of the year. You're fine, but I don't feel strongly enough about you to care a whole lot after its over.

You kinda lost me with Erased, first half was good but then when they changed the ending I just couldn't enjoy it as much.

Although I did like most of your list.

I really started liking rezero around ep 5-7 when he starts falling apart.

Gotta watch kiznaiver and Rakugo, too much anime to see in just 5 weeks lol.

Showa Rakugo Genroku Shinju, Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro, Osomatsu-san, Mob Pscyho 100, Haikyuu, Gintama, Thunderbolt Fantasy, Diamond is Unbreakable, Kiznaiver, Space Patrol Luluco even Erased...nearly everything I actually finished this year I've liked better then Re:Zero. Hell I even like Love Live, Dragon Ball Super, Flying Witch and Galko-chan more plus Danganronpa but thats only for established fans. It's better then Kabaneri, Bakuon Maiyoga and My Hero Academia I guess.

Maybe such high praise for episode 15 and stuff colored my expectations, but maybe I should have seen it was in the top 25 on MAL despite being half over and adjusted my expectations but I feel like I'm in a completely different boat then everyone who likes the show. In fact, I liked the show better before episode 15...

I don't hate the show but I don't like it much either. I'm mostly apathetic, and only talk about it so much because its the show to talk about. Its like how I Am Setsuna and Furi probably won't be on my top 10 games of the year. You're fine, but I don't feel strongly enough about you to care a whole lot after its over.

Tbh, yeah, I think I liked 13 and 18 more, even within that same arc

You kinda lost me with Erased, first half was good but then when they changed the ending I just couldn't enjoy it as much.

Erased is gonna get bumped off in fall. But I still like more parts of Erased then I like parts of Re:Zero. I don't really feel that strongly about Erased either, aside from 1 or 2 episodes. Its not a show I'm going to jump up and go to bat for or defend like something I really give a shit about like JoJo or Gintama.

i like the kinda woman who can kick my ass

stop stealing my tweets

Erased is gonna get bumped off in fall. But I still like more parts of Erased then I like parts of Re:Zero.

Those first few episodes of Erased were really good though. I couldn't resist and had to read the manga to see what would happen. Which was a mistake, I probably would have enjoyed it more not knowing what was happening.

Battery 3

This is starting to come together now. Harada's habit of being unfriendly and arrogant is starting to lead to blowups with everyone around him: his mom, the coach, and finally Gou. It'll be interesting to see the fallout.

The pitching scene was particularly well directed. Good use of music.

I disagree with some like erased but If you just don't like it then I guess it's understandable.

That DJ thing is really good?

Also you shush MHA is the AOTY
Maybe Haikyu...such a hard choice

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Do people really hate Rezero that much on here? It's pretty fun and good or bad gives ya a lot of feels.

You can't deny the production values at least, or the way it's directed like episode 15.
Anyone who props up the production values of Re:zero just feeds into the narrative that it's for people who do not know much about anything. The characters are dreadful and off-putting. The major narrative is a mess with no clear overarching goal or motivation even after nearly twenty episodes, and its short term story arcs are wholly unsatisfying. From a visual perspective it is underwhelming. Its moments of impressive animation are stacked heavily to the very start of the series. Taken as a whole there is a very weak eye for visual work on display. Color use is atrocious. Background work is hideous. CG elements are glaring and poorly integrated. Perspectives that do not have flat characters stretch and distend them in a comical fashion. There is clearly not much foresight into construction of these pieces, Re:zero just has the good fortune to occasionally have talented people helping craft its vision. This does not even bring into mention the dull score, or the weak acting. This is a major step down from what White Fox just came off of with Utawarerumono from a production perspective, and Re:zero definitely does not stack up well against other shows this season either. One could easily find five or possibly even ten currently airing shows that outdo Re:zero from a visual perspective.

Mob Psycho 100 - 05

No words to describe the level of animation on this. It's surreal.

Anyone who props up the production values of Re:zero just feeds into the narrative that it's for people who do not know much about anything. The characters are dreadful and off-putting. The major narrative is a mess with no clear overarching goal or motivation even after nearly twenty episodes, and its short term story arcs are wholly unsatisfying. From a visual perspective it is underwhelming. Its moments of impressive animation are stacked heavily to the very start of the series. Taken as a whole there is a very weak eye for visual work on display. Color use is atrocious. Background work is hideous. CG elements are glaring and poorly integrated. Perspectives that do not have flat characters stretch and distend them in a comical fashion. There is clearly not much foresight into construction of these pieces, Re:zero just has the good fortune to occasionally have talented people helping craft its vision. This does not even bring into mention the dull score, or the weak acting. This is a major step down from what White Fox just came off of with Utawarerumono from a production perspective, and Re:zero definitely does not stack up well against other shows this season either. One could easily find five or possibly even ten currently airing shows that outdo Re:zero from a visual perspective.

But... that doesn't matter when you enjoy something because it exists. One doesn't need to analyze the acidity in strawberry ice cream to say it is their favourite flavour. Why is it wrong for someone to say that they put this (or any other show) on their top 10?

Jarmel

Banned
Sound Euphonium? I don't recall that show having particularly notable use of narration.

Euphonium had a good bit of narration such as in episode 9 after the audition.

???% mode establishes a new mystery about Mob's powers, and changes our understanding of him. It's not just a means of ending the fight, since the fight was already over. And that conclusion, showing Mob's resolve holding even with his life on the line, shows that he still has a ways to go.

This entire episode was drawing the contrast between Teruki and Mob. Teruki sees himself as the main character of the world, and uses his powers selfishly and ruthlessly to put down others. Mob sees himself as... a mob character, and refuses to use his powers for anything. While Teruki basically loses this fight, neither of the two extremes are healthy attitudes to hold.

Mob needs to grow more as a person before he can use his powers for self-defense. It's too early for him to change that radically.

I'm not sure what you want.

I get the dichotomy between Teruki and Mob even if it's a little heavy handed. The problem is that ???? serves as an out for Mob in that push comes to shove, the decision is sort of made for him. It allows the show to have that action sequence while also not forcing Mob into a scenario where he has to decide on his own to break his rule.

If Mob can't use his powers for self-defense then they should have just ended it in the classroom. It would have been a good fakeout for the audience. I also don't really find the pacifism angle to be particularly interesting as it comes off as frustrating in most instances, this case not excluded.

This feels a bit more savage than the show deserves.

I didn't really enjoy the first episode of Mob but I think I'm gonna give it another shot by the way some of you guys talk about it. At the very least it seems to be visually awesome :)

Euphonium had a good bit of narration such as in episode 9 after the audition.

OK, looking at that scene there's the following bit of narration from Kimiko: "A few days passed, and the results were announced. The jitters from the audition came back, and the mood in the music room became tense." Strictly speaking these two sentences are stating things that can be inferred from the visuals (except perhaps for the "few days" part), but it's so minor and brief that I don't think it's particularly notable.

I get the dichotomy between Teruki and Mob even if it's a little heavy handed. The problem is that ???? serves as an out for Mob in that push comes to shove, the decision is sort of made for him. It allows the show to have that action sequence while also not forcing Mob into a scenario where he has to decide on his own to break his rule.

An out? ???% is Mob's dark, destructive power that he's afraid of. It's the reason he bottles up his emotions and resolves not to use his powers against other people, because he is afraid of what happens when his power gets out of control. You could even say it's the core aspect of what defines him as a character. If you think it's just an excuse to have an action scene, you're badly misinterpreting the show.

so I've been out of the anime game for awhile now and I'm just getting back into it. what is the best way to watch? is Crunchy roll the best option?

I just recently picked up Serial Experiments Lain & Panty & Stocking w garter belt both on blu ray.

the gf & I are both enjoying the craziness of p&s so far. she's really new to anime so what would you recommend?

Aku no Hana 09

This show feels like I'm watching a train wreck in slow motion and all the carriages are having panic attacks.

I think if I would've watched this show a few years ago it would've probably given me a panic attack.

so I've been out of the anime game for awhile now and I'm just getting back into it. what is the best way to watch? is Crunchy roll the best option?

I just recently picked up Serial Experiments Lain & Panty & Stocking w garter belt both on blu ray.

the gf & I are both enjoying the craziness of p&s so far. she's really new to anime so what would you recommend?

If you like Panty and Stocking then do FLCL and Space Patrol Luluco. Maybe Kill la Kill but its less a comedy. If you want another ultra raunchy comedy then try Prison School and Shimoneta.

CR is a good option if you're going to watch shows as they air.

Cornbread78

A Certain Magical Index ep.7
Ok, some funny stuff in here to start the episode. However, Touma really has to let the cat outta the bag (lol) here at some point and tell everyone he doesn't remember who he is and what he's doing because shit is about to get real.

Russ T

Banned

So you... don't like the show?

Aku no Hana 09

This show feels like I'm watching a train wreck in slow motion and all the carriages are having panic attacks.

I think if I would've watched this show a few years ago it would've probably given me a panic attack.

If you like Panty and Stocking then do FLCL and Space Patrol Luluco. Maybe Kill la Kill but its less a comedy. If you want another ultra raunchy comedy then try Prison School and Shimoneta.

CR is a good option if you're going to watch shows as they air.

thanks. I love FLCL and hope she will too. we both love the idea of Shimoneta, but I didn't see it on crunchy roll; what's the easiest and legal why of watching it?

Jarmel

Banned
OK, looking at that scene there's the following bit of narration from Kimiko: "A few days passed, and the results were announced. The jitters from the audition came back, and the mood in the music room became tense." Strictly speaking these two sentences are stating things that can be inferred from the visuals (except perhaps for the "few days" part), but it's so minor and brief that I don't think it's particularly notable.

That's not the only case though, the show does a number of little spurts like that which add up.

An out? ???% is Mob's dark, destructive power that he's afraid of. It's the reason he bottles up his emotions and resolves not to use his powers against other people, because he is afraid of what happens when his power gets out of control. You could even say it's the core aspect of what defines him as a character. If you think it's just an excuse to have an action scene, you're badly misinterpreting the show.

Berserk powers/statuses are almost always outs.They're either used as writing outs to get characters out of fights they should probably lose or bypass the mentality of a character. Vash in Trigun has a similar issue, although not exactly, with the use of the Angel Arm. Trigun is actually a really good comparison now that I think about it with Vash's heavy resistance at killing as well. It's a tool used by the writer to say that it isn't really the character's fault for their actions.

thanks. I love FLCL and hope she will too. we both love the idea of Shimoneta, but I didn't see it on crunchy roll; what's the easiest and legal why of watching it?

Shimoneta is on Hulu and Funimation

Edit: If you care more about watching a catalog then currently airing shows then Hulu is probably better then Crunchyroll or Funimation.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This feels a bit more savage than the show deserves.
I did not even bother to gut the show over its lame attempts at maintaining despair through simplistic violence and parody-esque interpretations of mental disorder, and the pitiful contrast that side of it has to the relentless and cloying fanservice.

Russ T

Banned
That's not the only case though, the show does a number of little spurts like that which add up.

Berserk powers/statuses are almost always outs.They're either used as writing outs to get characters out of fights they should probably lose or bypass the mentality of a character. Vash in Trigun has a similar issue, although not exactly, with the use of the Angel Arm. Trigun is actually a really good comparison now that I think about it with Vash's heavy resistance at killing as well. It's a tool used by the writer to say that it isn't really the character's fault for their actions.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Mob overcompensating for his dangerous powers by bottling up his emotions, thus eventually causing problems when the bottle explodes later on, is kinda the whole theme of the show.

Shimoneta is on Hulu and Funimation

Edit: If you care more about watching a catalog then currently airing shows then Hulu is probably better then Crunchyroll or Funimation.

oh yeah hulu! forgot about that one. thank you!

yeah id like to catch up on some of the ones I missed then the current stuff at the moment.

If you're allergic to internal thoughts/narration, you had better quit watching anime.

Mob feels he's at fault, at any rate. If he didn't have the problem with his power going berserk, we wouldn't have a series.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Mob overcompensating for his dangerous powers by bottling up his emotions, thus eventually causing problems when the bottle explodes later on, is kinda the whole theme of the show.

I think if it was him just 'snapping' I would be more fine with it than the use of ???. That's partially why I preferred the climax in episode 3 over the one in episode 5.

This obsession with despair that so many of these shows have is unhealthy.

You guys need to watch more shows that have a good hope element to them. Like Majin Bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom