• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
I think if it was him just 'snapping' I would be more fine with it than the use of ???. That's partially why I preferred the climax in episode 3 over the one in episode 5.

Shrug. Like hosanna said, mob doesn't think he's innocent. And it is definitely his fault.

This obsession with despair that so many of these shows have is unhealthy.

You guys need to watch more shows that have a good hope element to them. Like Majin Bone.

Why not both?

Jarmel

Banned
If you're allergic to internal thoughts/narration, you had better quit watching anime.

Yea I know however in these two examples the use feels forced and unnecessary. When you already have strong visuals and music then adding on top narration comes across as clumsy. Do you think a narrator would have helped Kizu?

Mob feels he's at fault, at any rate. If he didn't have the problem with his power going berserk, we wouldn't have a series.

That's not anything particularly unique though as Vash feels like shit after his Angel Arm goes off. Would anything fundamentally change if Mob had knowingly slammed a guy against a wall to protect his brother and accidentally hurt his brother in the process? It allows the reader to say that it's not really the character's fault. Instead I think the above scenario is more interesting as it holds Mob directly accountable for a mistake/flaw.

This obsession with despair that so many of these shows have is unhealthy.

You guys need to watch more shows that have a good hope element to them. Like Majin Bone.

oPpL3gj.png

Russ T

Banned
To be frank, I think if the reader or viewer thinks Mob is innocent, it's because they're young and/or ignorant, not because the author fails to convey. I think it would be fairly obvious to anyone who's ever tried bottling up their own emotions. Or experienced someone close doing it with them.

Not really. Jojo's awesome and I love it but it's not exactly what I'm talking about here, lol.

I know haha it's just the only thing I'm keeping up right now with besides re zero and mob.

):

To be frank, I think if the reader or viewer thinks Mob is innocent, it's because they're young and/or ignorant, not because the author fails to convey. I think it would be fairly obvious to anyone who's ever tried bottling up their own emotions. Or experienced someone close doing it with them.

I know haha it's just the only thing I'm keeping up right now with besides re zero and mob.

):
Puzzle and Dragon X is a fun light hearted show that's airing right now. I recommend it, it's quite fun.

Just T

Alderamin on the Sky: 5

Good flashback episode, Ikta and Yatori are the best characters in this show so it's nice to see their beginnings.

Mob Psycho 100: 5

Ah man that episode was great, they really staying on point with the animation. Also still enjoying delving more into Mob's character. As for the narration, eh don't think it's necessary tbh but not that bothered by it.

Cornbread78

A Certain Magical Index ep.8
Stupid little girl, he told you to stay put, now you got yourself kidnapped dammit. I wanted to see a nice magical battle but instead all I got was a creepy alchemist udibg little girls as his tools...wtf. Burn him up partner!

Aki-at

Mob Psycho 100 - 5

An awesome fight (if in honesty it can be called that, poor Teru) and finally the narrative has started to pick up, the final scene with Mob's brother recollecting their past and the music did well to build up the hype of just what is inside him. Animation continues to be fantastic but I could have done without the narration.

It's pretty amazing to have this and the best JoJo in the same year, we are not worthy. Might be tough picking a winner between these two.

Yea I know however in these two examples the use feels forced and unnecessary. When you already have strong visuals and music then adding on top narration comes across as clumsy. Do you think a narrator would have helped Kizu?

I'm certainly happy for works such as Kizumonogatari and Flowers of Evil that are happy to indulge in long wordless atmospheric stretches. I simply find the examples of narration you point to in Mob Psycho 100 and particularly Sound Euphonium so minimal as to be not worth getting worked up over. But I understand how pet peeves are.

That's not anything particularly unique though as Vash feels like shit after his Angel Arm goes off. Would anything fundamentally change if Mob had knowingly slammed a guy against a wall to protect his brother and accidentally hurt his brother in the process? It allows the reader to say that it's not really the character's fault. Instead I think the above scenario is more interesting as it holds Mob directly accountable for a mistake/flaw.

I don't think the impression the work is trying to convey to the viewer is that Mob is unreproachable, without fault. If he had been willing to use his psychic powers in a limited capacity early on in the confrontation, he could have kept things from escalating like they did.

Cornbread78

I don't watch Re: zero but I've grown weary of shows that are sold to me on the basis of 'feels'.

I mean, you can feel something when watching the show, but it doesn't play off emotions in a "manipulative" way. I knew you guys love that word for any show that tries to pull an emotional reaction out of something they write.

Now on to the movie, which fits somewhere between episodes 9 and 23.

They have it for sale at Wal-Mart... hhmmm

Also... You already finished FMA?! I must have missed the review post :/

Yeah, I finished a couple weeks ago. Amazing final few episodes!

zulux21

not even top 10 of the year even without fall

for me, going back to 2014, there are only two shows that I feel are on par with Re:zero in terms of my enjoyment of them.

those are
No Game No Life (my 2014 AOTY)
and One Punch Man (my 2015 AOTY)

unless the last few episodes are really bad there is about a 99% chance Re:zero is my AOTY in 2016 as it seems to be the single anime in a year that I really fell in love with.

I am not sure between those three shows which one I would say is the best.

Shergal

It's worth pointing out that the manga version of the choking part included a line of flashback Reigen telling Mob that psychic power is still a means of self-defense. Part of the idea of the fight should be that Mob didn't handle it well either with the 'I won't do anything' stance. Even besides the guilt over his own power, letting yourself get killed because you're unwilling to act is not exactly a healthy attitude either :p

manga spoilers somewhat:
he does get more lax with the "no using powers" rule as we'll see and the idea of Mob changing his core outlook on life does come to the forefront in a future arc that probably won't get adapted but I guess that doesn't matter for discussion of the anime so eh

Sword Art Online eps 11- 12

I don't think I've seen two episodes of anime I've hated more in a while. That Yui plotline is the most cringe worthy dreck so far in this show. The last few minutes with Kirito and Asuna discussing how they're going to recreate their delusional AI child in the real world made me want to throw something. So forced and unbelievable.

Cornbread78

So what's next guys?

I'm starting Moribito tommorrow as part of the "lets watch," I finished FMA, finished Bebop, would Wolf's Rain or Last Exile work for a good action/adventure? Anything else?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sword Art Online eps 11- 12

I don't think I've seen two episodes of anime I've hated more in a while. That Yui plotline is the most cringe worthy dreck so far in this show. The last few minutes with Kirito and Asuna discussing how they're going to recreate their delusional AI child in the real world made me want to throw something. So forced and unbelievable.

Run, run while you still can and be free of this show.

Mob 100 - 05

That was a bloody amazing episode. Some insane visuals and a certain bizarreness to a bunch of sequences that felt worked great for me. I didn't notice any issues particular issues with the narration this episode. Seemed to work pretty well for me.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sword Art Online: Extra Edition

Ever seen an episode of a tv show where it's basically the characters remembering things that have happened throughout the series? (a flashback episode) That's basically what this was, except movie length since it covers a lot of material. There was some new content at the end though which was pretty cool, and a some new scenes between the flash backs to keep things going. Overall I enjoyed it, but now I guess I've seen all of the current anime for this series. Note - I had to go to crunchy roll for this episode, Hulu didn't have it. Also gotta admit that this show has some good music.

So what's next guys?

I'm starting Moribito tommorrow as part of the "lets watch," I finished FMA, finished Bebop, would Wolf's Rain or Last Exile work for a good action/adventure? Anything else?
Have you seen Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans?

Line_HTX

So what's next guys?

Yes and hell yes.

Either order is fine, but please watch Wolf's Rain and Last Exile and watch both of them in English as well please.

Cornbread78

Majin Bone. Also, did you finish G Gundam?

Oops, need to finish that one. I'm sonewhete in the 30's..

Yes and hell yes.

Either order is fine, but please watch Wolf's Rain and Last Exile and watch both of them in English as well please.

Aee either of them on Crunchy/Funi?

Have you seen Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans?

Nah, not yet. Had too much on my plate when it was airing and I'm not big into mecha.

jgminto

I'd watch Re Zero to talk about it if I thought there was any chance it would get on my AotY list but it obviously wouldn't.

Line_HTX

Are either of them on Crunchy/Funi?

Ahh, fuck. I assumed that you somehow bought those two series. I don't know how I can help you with the streaming, but please believe me, their dubs and adapted scripts are done very well.

Aren't you the person that keeps voting in the twitter "waifu that i wish would step on me" polls??

What? I don't vote in Twitter polls. What you talking about?

>_>

Mailbox

Again people are stealing my tweets

i think you just encouraged jgminto to not watch it more

Outside of waifu talk, she's a good character.

Ahh, fuck. I assumed that you somehow bought those two series. I don't know how I can help you with the streaming, but please believe me, their dubs and adapted scripts are done very well.

What? I don't vote in Twitter polls. What you talking about?

>_>

iirc Last Exile is on Funimation.

Battery 4

Studio Colorido producing this episode didn't result in anything amazing, but it was well polished. Actually, both this and the last episodes didn't have anything that bothered me animation-wise like the first two episodes did. I'm not entirely sure if that's because the production itself is better or because I'm getting more engrossed in the story as the characters blossom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom