• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Char's Counterattack BD arrived today. Looks good but I guess people should know it's windowboxed. The JP bluray was the same from what I've read up online and Kleckner's said they don't touch the video they get. I don't doubt F91 will be the same but oh well!

GBF Try also arrived. Like GBF, the show can be a looker. Same sort of particle effects that looked bad on youtube do well here too. Content is questionable but that's Gundam in general for you. I'll probably revisit it down the line to reevaluate it on its own merit rather than being disappointed it didn't live up to GBF

Here's a couple dub samples that I botched the video on but hey the audio is there:

Mailbox

The genre as a whole doesn't appeal to me so a slightly darker take on it isn't going to do much.

Which genre? I wouldn't call it a "slightly darker take" since that sells it a bit short. Its basically a combo of groundhogs day, dark souls, and stock-fantasy.

And "slightly" doesn't really even come close to some of the shit that happens in the current arc ._. Seems like you have a few preconceived notions of what this show is rather than knowing what this show really is.

What are shows you think this will be like, for example?

Run, run while you still can and be free of this show.

Why? It can't be so bad.

Sword Art Online 13-14

I think the last boss "twist" is okay. The rest is pretty anti climactic. Oh how I wish when he wakes up at the end it turned live action. Can't wait to see how the handle the many interesting story avenues that could come from waking up after being trapped in VR for 2 years!

Sword Art Online 15

I....I...regret...what even is this...why....how....

ibyea

Banned
Why? It can't be so bad.

Sword Art Online 13-14

I think the last boss "twist" is okay. The rest is pretty anti climactic. Oh how I wish when he wakes up at the end it turned live action. Can't wait to see how the handle the many interesting story avenues that could come from waking up after being trapped in VR for 2 years!

Sword Art Online 15

Lol those famous last words.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why? It can't be so bad.

Sword Art Online 13-14

Sword Art Online 15

lolololol

I mean

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Why? It can't be so bad.

Sword Art Online 13-14

Sword Art Online 15

One would think so, right? Instead...

"I'mma just stand up and go for a walk lololol"

jgminto

Which genre? I wouldn't call it a "slightly darker take" since that sells it a bit short. Its basically a combo of groundhogs day, dark souls, and stock-fantasy.

And "slightly" doesn't really even come close to some of the shit that happens in the current arc ._. Seems like you have a few preconceived notions of what this show is rather than knowing what this show really is.

What are shows you think this will be like, for example?
The "average guy transported to a fantasy world and has a heroic power" genre, for which the pinnacle is obviously the seminal classic, Garzey's Wing. There are dozens of them though and that's not counting the ones that go with a video game world instead of a fantasy world, because what's more exciting from a narrative perspective than a world without consequence? But regardless, it's not a scenario I enjoy in media.

Mailbox

The "average guy transported to a fantasy world and has a heroic power" genre, for which the pinnacle is obviously the seminal classic, Garzey's Wing. There are dozens of them though and that's not counting the ones that go with a video game world instead of a fantasy world, because what's more exciting from a narrative perspective than a world without consequence? But regardless, it's not a scenario I enjoy in media.

Yeah, just seems like you've gotten burned before and expect the exact same from this show. I can pretty much confirm to you that Re:Zero doesn't fall into the same problems that other LN "fantasy typical" shows fall into. Even when it seems like it would (like the idea of "average guy in fantasy world") it subverts it or alters it in a way that's really quite interesting. (Especially considering that this recent arc has been entirely focused on the MC's pride, how its bullshit, and how he is legitimately, all things considered, a nothing person and weak in this world.)

I would honestly say give the show a chance. Its well directed and definitely isn't standard or what you're expecting. Garzey's wing, this is not!

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Re:Zero is a lot of things, but I do not recall it ever having "feels" or dramatic scenes like Key stuff.
Did you not watch episode 18? Are you some sort of monster? I'd consider the feels pretty heavy on that one. Maybe we need to define "feels" first.

Mailbox

Sweetness & Lightning episodes 5-6

If anyone is getting tired of the part-time story; full-time cooking way the show works, you may wanna get off this boat now. This show (and the manga) follow this structure to a T every chapter, so don't expect the structure or pace to change period. I liked the episodes regardless though. Definitely the wholesome show of the season.

Momokuri episode 11-12

Still my guilty pleasure of the season. Its not particularly amazing (i'd say ReLife is better by a mile), but its a fun show to waste a bit of time on. Its probably my liking of romance stories, especially quirky ones, that makes me enjoy this on some level.

Amanchu! episode 4-5

This show has an extremely slow pace, and if it wasn't for the slight gags and the muppet faces thrown in, I'd probably get bored watching this. Regardless this show has a lot of quality put into it. I'm enjoying this probably for different reasons that the other shows I'm watching this season, but its a good time regardless.

edit: I'd also like to note that I've only just now found it extremely refreshing to have a series that didn't have girls in short skirts.

Did you not watch episode 18? Are you some sort of monster? I'd consider the feels pretty heavy on that one. Maybe we need to define "feels" first.

Yeah, there was definitely a lot of feeling spawned from that episodes. A lot of it was hate because of waifu wars, but i get what you're saying
I fully agree with you :p

Defuser

I think most people associated feels as to tear jerking moments which I think Re:zero doesn't have at all. It doesn't make me cry but to elitists it makes them cry because they can't stand Re:zero badness.

TUSR

Banned
whenever I watch new game I think the girls are like 1 scene away from making out with each other

is this what is called euribait?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All I know about Re:Zero is that people like that blue haired girl.

But then I learnt, after seeing some pics of her Nendoroid, that people only falsely like her.

I've seen my fair share of fan art of her due to my Twitter and screenshots here. Phrases like "I want to protect her smile" and depicting her as innocent.

BUT THAT'S ALL FALSE.

She's apparently bat shit crazy and will bust your balls with a ball and chain!

But let's just ignore that fact and focus solely on what she looks like. They don't like her for who she really is but for who they want her to be. How shallow.

T-Rex.

Banned
I hope Re:ZERO gets AOTY. There was a bit of salt over One Punch Man getting it last year if I remember correctly, so it'll make for fun reading if Re:ZERO wins.

Eumi

Re:Zero seems to attract a lot of people to it that only want to talk about how mediocre it is.

Which is an odd achievement. Not sure if it's a good thing but it's a thing.

Also Rem is an awful waifu but a great character.

zulux21

Re:Zero has that much potential? if yes, wow

or is it just that it's generating a lot of discussion

it's got my vote right now, and nothing is even remotely close.

with just one more season, and last I checked it looked like a pretty weak season. it will likely stay as the AOTY for me (unless the last few episodes are really bad, but I don't think that iwll be the case)

Mailbox

I think next season has a lot of things that look like they might be AotY material, but so far Re:Zero has it for me. Mind you, I haven't been watching Mob Psycho nor have a finished Rakugo (truth be told, I stopped after episode 1 because i felt that episode 1 was complete and didn't need any more added to it XP )

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is that a bit like complaining that Love Live doesn't get into the creepy underbelly of the Idol industry?

Why would it? They're not even in the industry. For all intents and purposes they're a school club. It's better to compare Love Live to a typical school sports show like Free.

Friends decide to start a club.
Rally other students to their cause.
Episodes based on training.
Episodes based on friends bonding.
Enter a competition and aim to win.

A big difference between Love Live and other idol shows is that µ's self-governs. In other idol shows the cast work for an agency of some sort.

There are lots of flaws with Kirito's waking up scene, even if one ignores all the medical aspects (like how his body should be pretty weak and have difficulty walking).
  1. Where are the doctors? We've had thousands of people waking up from a 2 year coma but Kirito wasn't one of them. Someone should be at least be a bit worried about the one person not waking up.
  2. Ignoring around his bed, where is anyone? This is a hospital, where we later find out most people trapped in SAO were moved to, and yet it's completely empty. They moved everyone out within 10 seconds?
  3. His first thought is to find his VR girlfriend and not ring HIS FAMILY!? (Who you would have also thought would be there considering Kirito was the one person not waking up)
  4. and bonus complaint - he forgave someone for mass murder.

It's been quite a while since I've seen it, but how shockingly appalling the ending was has stuck in my mind ever since because of how bad it is.

Sure, the focus of SAO wasn't about the world outside (though I always said that would have potentially been a more interesting story in some ways), but you can't throw all logic out the window because of that. The ending of a show should feel great for the viewer. They finally got to the end of the journey. If, we say, Love Live ended by giving you a warm hug, SAO, on the other hand, just shat on your floor and walked off leaving you to clean it up.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope Re:ZERO gets AOTY. There was a bit of salt over One Punch Man getting it last year if I remember correctly, so it'll make for fun reading if Re:ZERO wins.

No there wasn't. Only the usual complaints that once a show is overly popular outside this community it basically becomes a case of one show voters which isn't very exciting to speculate about since you can basically predict the result before voting even begins.

There has only been salt over Panty and Stocking (to the point that people refuse to acknowledge that year's voting) and Kill la Kill getting so high.

And like I said, Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R already has it. Better luck next year.

Mailbox

Hybrid x Heart episode 5

I honestly felt like i was taking crazy pills this episode. NOTHING, not a damn thing, made sense this episode. Everything felt dumb and random.Not to mention that the art and animation was legit ass even for this show, which tends to be horrible anyway. While I still think Dog and Scissors is worse, it isn't by a large margin. I might not be in pain like i was when watching Lance n' masques, but my god, am I close.

I literally had to lie down for a second, put my hands to my face and try damn hard not to scream from the shear terribleness this show provided.

zulux21

log horizon 9-15 or so

so I continue overall enjoying this (and still think SAO is better) the really odd thing to me though, is despite the fact that any other show that I enjoy this much I would be looking forward to reading the light novel.... I really don't know if i want to read the light novel to this one... it feels like it will be a chore to read.

zulux21

I think next season has a lot of things that look like they might be AotY material, but so far Re:Zero has it for me. Mind you, I haven't been watching Mob Psycho nor have a finished Rakugo (truth be told, I stopped after episode 1 because i felt that episode 1 was complete and didn't need any more added to it XP )

idk next season looks rather weak to me.

the only shows that hold some interest to me are Occultic;Nine and Trickster:Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori

only sequel of interest is Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou, and I highly doubt that will rate all that high for me since the first two seasons are some of the most over rated sports seasons I have ever seen, as i still don't get how its got so many fans given it's a very generic cast of characters a very predictable plot if you have watched other sports shows. I suppose it must be the animation budget *shrugs*

edit: oops I meant to add that to my last post >.<:

Just finished the first season of Baby Steps.

That show does romance way better than most anime. Granted that's not a high bar, but it's still appreciated.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd vote, but my personal anime of the year isn't on the list. Not that it matters, I'm usually the only one who ever votes for whatever my AotY is anyway so I know it doesn't have a chance of winning.

Re:Zero is still AotY for me unless it really messes up the landing, Kiznaiver is the only other show rivalling it for me thus far. I'll have to catch up on Mob Psycho 100 but it really wasn't doing much for me in the first ep, great art but the comedy wasn't hitting and the characters were flat.

zulux21

Re:Zero is still AotY for me unless it really messes up the landing, Kiznaiver is the only other show rivalling it for me thus far. I'll have to catch up on Mob Psycho 100 but it really wasn't doing much for me in the first ep, great art but the comedy wasn't hitting and the characters were flat.

if it fails to stick the landing it would fall and still stand above others so far but could have a chance of being over taken this fall.

if it sticks the landing that could be hard to be beat for me.

I mean re:zero could miss the lnading, but I have the feeling these last few episodes are going to hit all the right notes as we go through our "happy" ending.

barybll

Banned
On another note
Am I the only one watching berserk?

I got this serious morbid curiosity that keeps taking me back
But oh man, its so shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom