• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...the other show isn't catching me right now so, I am going to watch Godannar. Man...is been a while since I watch a mecha show.

tumblr_lya2cshFq41r244lmo1_r4_500.gif

That's a mech show? Looks like a hentai

Jarmel

Banned
Mob Psycho-5

I have two main problems with this episode. First is that it takes too long to get going because of Mob's hard rule about not hurting others. Stuff like this is frustrating to watch in almost any action show where a character has a built-in neurosis that pretty much leaves them incapable of acting. The second thing is that monologuing is killing me. It's so unnecessary and comes across as if the director doesn't trust the audience to understand the visuals. The first time in the episode was fine due to the fakeout but the second time shortly after just had me groaning. That monologuing is really starting to piss me off.

Mob Psycho 100 episode 5

This really is Diamond is Unbreakable because every episode can just be summed up by saying it was fantastic. The show hasn't skipped a beat direction, style and animation wise. If anything this was the best episode yet. This is the BONES Duckroll should be worshipping.

Now we see the more interesting side of Mob's inner conflict. Kind of reminds me of the cartoon Justice League where Superman says he can never fight at his full power because he lives in a world of cardboard that would collapse if he did. The one problem is that I don't have the patience to screencap this show frame by frame because there is some awesome shit in there.

Show By Rock short 06

arisu~ girl was in this one

So after ripping off The Ogre Who Cried and Moby Dick, what classic is Re:Zero going to use for an arc next?

Gonna put my money on The Dunwich Horror or Divine Comedy

Jarmel

Banned
Mob Psycho 100 episode 5
Now we see the more interesting side of Mob's inner conflict. Kind of reminds me of the cartoon Justice League where Superman says he can never fight at his full power because he lives in a world of cardboard that would collapse if he did.

Superman at least fights back though. Not to mention the resolution of this felt like a copout and the show/One trying to have their cake and eat it too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Forgot that Aria had visual commentary on the new OVAs and I just thought I'd check to see how the cast reacts to Athena:

5z28IZFl.jpg

Sad. :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
well, looks like it's down to 75% now since only about 4 people watched it here.
Except they say
"We only accept approval ratings from individuals who have watched a show to completion."
- The Official Board for Anime Approval Ratings​
Which makes complete sense. Otherwise you'd get people going, 'watched one episode and I didn't like it lol xD' just to sabotage the ratings.

Mob Psycho 105 Dalmatians

I think this is the episode I can safely say this is a good show. Episodes 1-3 were eh, 4 was a good beginning, and now the narrative and the story I can safely say aren't being entirely carried by the narrative.

Also I'm sorry but did Bones hire the same god damn narrator as Hunter X Hunter? I was waiting for him to say "Meanwhile Gon was running up the stairs. All this took place in 5 minutes"

It's not licensed.

Well I mean I didn't want to have to say it lmao. That awkward Hyouka situation and all.

Sölf

Where do I turn my weeb card. This shit is still way too hard

Kill la Kill "don't lose your way" background
FMA OP4 Rewrite
Samurai Champloo ED I think ?
Shingeki no Bahamut OP "Something something Black and White but "THE WORLD IS SO GRAYYYYYY"
I swear, there is an orchestral track from Advent Children
Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2 Gig (I think) OP "Origa"
I've been racking my brain for 5 minutes over it but I think that flute-something track was from Madoka's previews.
F/Z OP2

Adding Gintama OP9 (9:06) and Inferno Cop ED (16:54) to that list.
There are a few others that sound familiar, but can't quite put my finger on.

4:42 - Gintama - background - Toubun Tora ne Tonaa
6:20 - Cowboy Bebop - Cats on Mars (Edward's theme)
16:05 - Something by the singers of the Azumanga ED lol

That's really all I can add.

Well, that's a start. :0

Danganronpa 3 Future Arc 5

This is the episode that checks to see if you are watching the Despair arc.

Mob Psycho 5

Anime of the year is really too much. I got more out of Re:Zero than this show. Maybe it's something I'm not seeing, but I gave it my full attention.

Exalted

Mob Psycho 100 episode 5

Kinda feel slightly let down after watching this episode, after the great 4th episode which i actually found funny for a change , probably because it focused on the club and Mob instead of his manager which i don't like. I had high hopes for this episode and was expecting a really great fight , only to be let down. I didn't find the fight or non fight monologue in this case that interesting, nor did i like the' i must not use my powers against people' stick in this episode, it has been used so many times in different shows( to much better extent), and Mob's lack of charisma really didn't add anything to it in this case, or make me care. And they killed the ghost SMH, which was the best character and had the best lines.

Eumi

DanganRonpa 3 Future 05

I hope Ruruka dies. Her and her boytoy are such shitty people.
Nah, I reckon Ruruka is gonna get redeemed. I mean to be fair she was the one being attacked.

Boytoy's a shit though. Dude's basically a trained dog at this point.

duckroll

I don't think he's as central to Blazblue, but he has written music for that series.

I'm not good at fighting games, but I have enjoyed some of the Blazblue story mode, particularly the gag endings. Maybe I should think about getting Guilty Gear sometime.

Guilty Gear Xrd works very differently from any other fighting game I've played in terms of story. It doesn't even work like how Guilty Gear XX did way back. The story mode for GG has always been confusing and over complex, but here they've actually streamlined it into something which is really surprising.

The game has an Arcade Mode where you pick a character and fight through 8 matches against various characters. At the start of the mode there's an intro cutscene for each character, and after each 3 matches there are intermission cutscenes with mysterious people talking about something that might or might not be specific to the character you're playing. Some character have unique dialogue in these intermissions, some characters have generic ones. Then there are cutscenes before and after the 7th and 8th fights which are unique to each character. But there's no real ending because every character ending is a cliffhanger that either leads to another character's story, or different perspectives of the same main cliffhanger... because....

The Story Mode of the game is a non-interactive 4 hour plus series of fully voiced cutscenes divided into 10 chapters each with an A part and B part. This single linear story continues right off the cliffhanger ending of the Arcade Mode and is basically a season long realtime CG anime. Lol.

As you watch the Story Mode, terms and names mentioned in the dialogue will be unlocked in the Database filled with explanations about what they mean and references to the previous games. Deep lore. Serious business.

Superman at least fights back though. Not to mention the resolution of this felt like a copout and the show/One trying to have their cake and eat it too.

I think you're supposed to be somewhat annoyed by Mob's naive optimism.

Mob Psycho 5

Anime of the year is really too much. I got more out of Re:Zero than this show. Maybe it's something I'm not seeing, but I gave it my full attention.

It's at least more interesting to look at then Re:Zero.

Nah, I reckon Ruruka is gonna get redeemed. I mean to be fair she was the one being attacked.

Boytoy's a shit though. Dude's basically a trained dog at this point.

It's a very DR thing for someone to appear to be being redeemed or have an arc, then die immediately after.

Taka and Saionji

John Blade

261554014e6fa326c_w.jpg

Not a bad introduction. Got to know the main characters you're following from the show now. Introduced us Anna and Goh and the situation the world is in when fighting this monster who destroy part of earth from the look of it. Basically Anna know Goh who save her from falling down to her death and this somehow manage to get her to get engaged and marry him even though she is very too young for it.

Love the battle scene fight here. Get you pump up and also introduce this force who suppose to protect the city of Japan and new characters. Too many but I guess you found out all of them as you continue watching the show. Anna mom, Kiriko, somehow know Goh as a captain who Goh follow which make it even more odd that Goh is now marrying her daughter.

Also, found out Goh lost someone special but it look like this special someone is actually controlling the monster. I wonder where this will take us.....maybe a triangle love issue with Goh?

I guess for now, liking the battle scene of the super robot when fighting and look like we got to see more of this and the character development between Anna and Goh.

Oh yea, bobbies scene too many of them to count now.
cb787e53c73005699a9b75cf7f15cffb.gif

godannar119mu.gif

Mob Psycho 100 episode 5

Kinda feel slightly let down after watching this episode, after the great 4th episode which i actually found funny for a change , probably because it focused on the club and Mob instead of his manager which i don't like. I had high hopes for this episode and was expecting a really great fight , only to be let down. I didn't find the fight or non fight monologue in this case that interesting, nor did i like the' i must not use my powers against people' stick in this episode, it has been used so many times in different shows( to much better extent), and Mob's lack of charisma really didn't add anything to it in this case, or make me care. And they killed the ghost SMH, which was the best character and had the best lines.

I'm curious; which shows are you thinking of when you make this statement?

Guilty Gear Xrd works very differently from any other fighting game I've played in terms of story. It doesn't even work like how Guilty Gear XX did way back. The story mode for GG has always been confusing and over complex, but here they've actually streamlined it into something which is really surprising.

The game has an Arcade Mode where you pick a character and fight through 8 matches against various characters. At the start of the mode there's an intro cutscene for each character, and after each 3 matches there are intermission cutscenes with mysterious people talking about something that might or might not be specific to the character you're playing. Some character have unique dialogue in these intermissions, some characters have generic ones. Then there are cutscenes before and after the 7th and 8th fights which are unique to each character. But there's no real ending because every character ending is a cliffhanger that either leads to another character's story, or different perspectives of the same main cliffhanger... because....

The Story Mode of the game is a non-interactive 4 hour plus series of fully voiced cutscenes divided into 10 chapters each with an A part and B part. This single linear story continues right off the cliffhanger ending of the Arcade Mode and is basically a season long realtime CG anime. Lol.

As you watch the Story Mode, terms and names mentioned in the dialogue will be unlocked in the Database filled with explanations about what they mean and references to the previous games. Deep lore. Serious business.

Wow, the Story Mode doesn't have any fights? That's pretty crazy. But then ArcSys fighters have always seemed to care more about their story than most fighting games.

How convoluted is the continuity? is is like Blazblue where you have to watch hours of summary compilations before you can approach the story of the latest game?

Jarmel

Banned
I'm rewatching that monologue at the end and that's the worst type of monologue you can do. Just completely unnecessary.

duckroll

Wow, the Story Mode doesn't have any fights? That's pretty crazy. But then ArcSys fighters have always seemed to care more about their story than most fighting games.

Yeah, in the previous GGs the Story Mode was a longass branching VN thing with fights between the story stuff. They just completely ditched that. This is like watching Asura's Wrath without the QTEs. The game prompts you to save after each half-chapter. Good time to take a toilet break or decide to stop too. :p

How convoluted is the continuity? is is like Blazblu where you have to watch hours of summary compilations before you can approach the story of the latest game?

I don't remember most of what happened in the previous GG games and it doesn't seem that confusing to me. The only things I remembered were that in one of the games they fought a Gear called Justice as the final boss, Sol Badguy and Ky Kiske are tsundere for each other, and in another game they fought Dizzy as the final boss. It's not hard to follow what's happening in Xrd. There's some new incident and things develop from there.

Exalted

I'm curious; which shows are you thinking of when you make this statement?

There are quite allot of shows where a strong MC avoids fighting at all costs, but i had actually somewhat hard time with coming up a show that you might actually know, since this stupid trope is mostly used in LN shows, and i don't think you really watch that many of them :p
As for your question i personally think it was better used in Rurouni Kenshin for one example.

There are quite allot of shows where a strong MC avoids fighting at all costs, but i had actually somewhat hard time with coming up a show that you might actually know, since this stupid trope is mostly used in LN shows, and i don't think you really watch that many of them :p
As for your question i personally think it was better used in Rurouni Kenshin for one example.

But Kenshin didn't avoid fights, he just avoids killing. It's not the same at all

Hunter X Hunter 15

FUCKING MURDER HIM ALREADY!

Also, the butterflies kinda sum up this show in a way. Save for Hisoka and his uh....friend Illumi , no one really looks all that dangerous, but there's a dangerous edge to just about everyone. I hope the arc gets moving tho. I feel like it's kinda of dragging here.

Exalted

But Kenshin didn't avoid fights, he just avoids killing. It's not the same at all

It's been a few years since i last watched it, but i do think he wanted to avoid fighting, even though he almost always ended up fighting in the end. I'm talking about a strong pacifist MC that wants to avoid fighting,(intent) but fails in the end, and has to result fighting, (they almost always fail in the end). Mob also failed, and fought in the end.

John Blade

latest

Look like Anna is really committed to join the team and help Goh to fight against the monster. Unfortunately, Goh have second though as it look like he don't want her to get hurt as he already lost someone before. This continue till Anna found out Goh will fail her just so, he don't have to worry about her if he went to battle. This doesn't sit well on Anna as she literally spend her time to train herself for this (to the point we got a training montage of her training to the point she got a S Level in training).

Look like the two pilots who fought the 1st monster is okay but the lady, Shizuru, look have some connection with Goh like a good old friend. Kinda sense it a bit but guess just need to wait for a bit to see what connection between them. Also, the guy who suppose to be death is alive but recovery. Kinda a comedy characters I have to say.

The monster in the 1st battle didn't manage to get kill completely and might have taken one of the worker in the base alive and convert her as someone who control it. Doesn't look too great that now, the monster is on the loose and Anna manage to get it attention to get to the school gym. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it end well as we got to see the left over dress on the ground meaning she might be injured or kill which trigger Goh emotional side (guess...it's not revenge mode for him).

Nothing too crazy. A bit more development from Anna and Goh and also some more info of the other characters in the show like Shizuru and Kiriko and many more. So much sexual scene in this episode which is getting funny to see when it pop up (and man they pop up like the mechanic team ladies who play with the plug). End in a cliffhanger and want to see where it goes right now.

TrueBlue

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1 - 3

Okay yeah, this is pretty great. What they manage to pull off in terms of movement and poses is excellent. I laughed out loud at the facepalm the MC gave in the first episode. The puppets themselves look wonderful as well.

I agree with the poster who said that its earnest outlook works to its advantage, because it totally does. It's a fun fantasy romp, and the show is very comfortable with that fact.

Will definitely watch more.

Mob Psycho 100 5

Pretty good.

I haven't seen Kenshin, so I cannot comment on whether it does a better job with its main character. I will say that, although I do not watch the sort of light novel adaptations you're probably talking about, my impression is that the uber-superpower of people like the Mahouka protagonist is used to make everything go his way and everyone fall for him, so more like Teru here than Mob.

Mob Psycho 100 5

Yeah, they were a bit narrator heavy, but it worked here, overall I felt it was a very good episode, in animation, character ideals clashing, backstory being revealed giving us more insight in the MC, a pair of jokes well executed, etc.

Now it's officially the AOTS.

Danganronpa 1-Early into Chapter 2

Toko is freaky, and not in a good way.

Also, I'm playing a character
who wet the bed till 5th grade...

And Yasuhiro is completely useless, and feels like he was just thrown into the plot.

Jarmel

Banned
Honestly, from hearing Jarmel go on I thought the narrator would be much more present than two brief descriptions and one line at the very end.

It's the second description that really irritates me. Euphonium did the exact same thing where it would be like it was recapping something already on screen. In this case, the dialogue undercuts the emotional moment by explaining everything in a somewhat monotone voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom