• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Macross Delta 19

That was a huge infodump.
That Vajra connection...
I wonder if that Lady M is someone from a past series. Also, I hope we'll get some good action soon. It's been too long since episode 13.

Do people really hate Rezero that much on here? It's pretty fun and good or bad gives ya a lot of feels.

You can't deny the production values at least, or the way it's directed like episode 15.

I hate it. Its the usual LN trash with a gimmick. Couldn't take it seriously and dropped it.

On another note
Am I the only one watching berserk?

I got this serious morbid curiosity that keeps taking me back
But oh man, its so shit
No I'm still there every week wondering 'who is this for?', I'm not a manga reader but the show has made no attempt to provide context for me so it mustn't be for those unfamiliar however those who are hate what they've done so far so it's not for them either. Increasingly wondering why I am still watching though

Mailbox

I hate it. Its the usual LN trash with a gimmick. Couldn't take it seriously and dropped it.

heh... no its not.

But if you seriously think so, please, do tell how its "usual LN trash"

I honestly think anyone who thinks this dropped it 2-3 episodes into arc 1, or more likely, after episode 1A.

if it fails to stick the landing it would fall and still stand above others so far but could have a chance of being over taken this fall.

if it sticks the landing that could be hard to be beat for me.

I mean re:zero could miss the lnading, but I have the feeling these last few episodes are going to hit all the right notes as we go through our "happy" ending.

don't expect a conclusive or "happy" end here. While Re:Zero is adaption all available LN volumes, its still very much mid-series as a stopping point. Things will happen, we won't have full answers, and we will be left in the dark at least a bit. Not to mention, the author is a sadist.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have no real opinion on the show, since I've not watched it, but the way people talk of it, it does come across as typical LN guff. So really, if it's not, do a better job of selling it I guess. You have to realise that over the years people have developed a low tolerance for LN based anime so any signs of it being guff and they will hate it.

It doesn't help that 50% of posts about the show are gushing over that blue haired girl.

Qurupeke

As an arc, I still think the first one is the best. Short, great action and good sense of mystery. The third one has some really good moments, and it's actually getting better, but it focused on some stuff I didn't particularly like. and it feels unnecessarily big.
It doesn't help that 50% of posts about the show are gushing over that blue haired girl.
Blame the protect this smile culture. The worst.

Mailbox

I have no real opinion on the show, since I've not watched it, but the way people talk of it, it does come across as typical LN guff. So really, if it's not, do a better job of selling it I guess. You have to realise that over the years people have developed a low tolerance for LN based anime so any signs of it being guff and they will hate it.

I mean, the only thing "typical" is the setting. How characters act, how the story is handled, etc. are all quite unique. I fully understand being cautious and tired of fantasy LN adaptations, but I find it kind of pathetic when a genuinely good show gets muddied based on that though.

I guess I'm just kind of sick of hearing people say its generic when all the talk and discussion surrounding it, especially with the latest arc indicates otherwise.

As for posts "gushing" over Rem, that's mostly to do with recent episode events regarding not only the MC's psychological development (and her role in it) but also her own development and backstory in the previous arc. She's a legitimately good character who is given a lot of time and presence on screen and actually helps bring a lot of movement to the plot and character development, which is good.

As an arc, I still think the first one is the best. Short, great action and good sense of mystery. The third one has some really good moments, and it's actually getting better, but it focused on some stuff I didn't particularly like. and it feels unnecessarily big.

Blame the protect this smile culture. The worst.

Personally like the current arc the best so far. At least in direction and serious character development. There is a novelty to the first arc that I do really enjoy though.

I'm expecting some serious salt in the end though :/

Eumi

Re:Zero is still super generic, it's just also really good so who cares?

Like at the end of the day it's still about an average nobody who's stupidly OP sucked into a fantasy world going on adventures with a harem of waifus who may or may not be in love with him.

But it's just really fucking good about it.

cheesekao

I mean, the only thing "typical" is the setting. How characters act, how the story is handled, etc. are all quite unique. I fully understand being cautious and tired of fantasy LN adaptations, but I find it kind of pathetic when a genuinely good show gets muddied based on that though.

I guess I'm just kind of sick of hearing people say its generic when all the talk and discussion surrounding it, especially with the latest arc indicates otherwise.

As for posts "gushing" over Rem, that's mostly to do with recent episode events regarding not only the MC's psychological development (and her role in it) but also her own development and backstory in the previous arc. She's a legitimately good character who is given a lot of time and presence on screen and actually helps bring a lot of movement to the plot and character development, which is good.
While I do think Re:zero is a step above the usual LN trash, I don't think it handles the suffering and psychological aspects particularly well and it just ends up as being there just for shock value. I'm not against "edgy" stuff as people call it but compared to Monster, which is what I consider to be the standard, Re:Zero fails to deliver. Even if I judge it on its own merits and not compare it to others my opinion is still the same. The first arc was my favorite part and then the second arc dragged on for too long but was still ok and then the third arc is just eh.

I wasted 5 minutes of my life for you, anime GAF.

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=57a98c15e4b0e496430facd8

Go vote and see what people will vote for aoty. Sorry if your favorite isn't there.

LOL. 93 votes. 58% of the votes are on Re:Zero. Either folks are lying about hating the show or idk what's going on.

Yeah Re:Zero is one of the better things playing this year. I put my vote on it as well. Fall may make it go down a few spots but it's easily top 10 material.

LOL. 93 votes. 58% of the votes are on Re:Zero. Either folks are lying about hating the show or idk what's going on.

Yeah Re:Zero is one of the better things playing this year. I put my vote on it as well. Fall may make it go down a few spots but it's easily top 10 material.

I think a sober assessment of the situation is that a majority of posters in this thread are fans of Re:Zero, while there are also several people who either feel apathetic towards it or dislike it. There's no need to assume bad faith on the part of people who are criticizing the show.

A question about Re:Zero 19.

Aren't the events at Roswaal's Mansion unfolding at the same time as the hunt for the White Whale? Or those only happen one or two days later?

Jintor

A big difference between Love Live and other idol shows is that µ's self-governs. In other idol shows the cast work for an agency of some sort.

Right. Occasionally the show brings up something that kinda contradicts the 'school club' philosophy (like the time they find merch of them being sold and are surprised by it that raises a whole bunch of questions it never even attempts to answer), but by and large Love Live doesn't weigh on that aspect of the industry for drama the way SAO tries to pretend drama comes out of the 'realism' aspect of its VR premise.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The great thing about lurkers though is that it's one way communication. I can say anything about them without any repercussions. For example, it's well known that the lurkers have bad taste in anime.

Right. Occasionally the show brings up something that kinda contradicts the 'school club' philosophy (like the time they find merch of them being sold and are surprised by it that raises a whole bunch of questions it never even attempts to answer), but by and large Love Live doesn't weigh on that aspect of the industry for drama the way SAO tries to pretend drama comes out of the 'realism' aspect of its VR premise.
The merch was placed there by Future Honoka!

I think a sober assessment of the situation is that a majority of posters in this thread are fans of Re:Zero, while there are also several people who either feel apathetic towards it or dislike it. There's no need to assume bad faith on the part of people who are criticizing the show.

Sure sounds like AnimeGAF lol. We can't like popular things guys, come on :p

Aren't the events at Roswaal's Mansion unfolding at the same time as the hunt for the White Whale? Or those only happen one or two days later?

Those happen a little after.
Remember how Subaru manages to get away from the whale all broken up and the kids come meet him.

The great thing about lurkers though is that it's one way communication. I can say anything about them without any repercussions. For example, it's well known that the lurkers have bad taste in anime.

The lurkers all buying Rem dakis was the reason the release date was pushed back.

blurr

Haven't seen latest New Game but so far I quite like it. Aesthetically pleasing, very good character animation with charming humor and characters. So much that I will pardon it for not delving into gamedev much. I honestly didn't think I'd stick around for those reasons.

Cornbread78

All this AOTY talk already.

JoJo
Berzerk
MHA

Just wait.

Let the salt begin now because the "casual" voters will stuff the ballot.

Erased should finish up there as well.

I mean, the only thing "typical" is the setting. How characters act, how the story is handled, etc. are all quite unique.

I think I watched 10 or so episodes and I couldn't disagree more. Subaru acts pretty much like a typical LN main character, the main girl is miss perfect princess, battle maids are battle maids. The way the main character gushes over the girls is irritating to watch, his battle prowess is completely unexplained. It is pretty much your "average" guy gets dropped into a world where he is suddenly and inexplicably extremely useful and necessary, where he gets women practically dropped into his lap (and in Re:Zero they are by the boatload) and he has a cheat which means the rules don't really apply to him. It is the bog-standard template of LN trash.

Aki-at

All this AOTY talk already.

JoJo
Berzerk
MHA

Just wait.

Let the salt begin now because the "casual" voters will stuff the ballot.

Erased should finish up there as well.

I really wonder how MHA will perform. For me the hype for that show doesn't seem to equal the level of enthusiasm we're expecting but I could be wrong.

I see JoJo being up there and for me so far it's between that and Mob as the best show of the year. Not sure if that's going to change either.

Narag

Lumping DiU in with shows like modern Berserk, Erased, and MHA as casual shows that'll elicit salt from the more critical members if it places high on AOTY is one of the most willfully ignorant things I've seen in this thread.

Cornbread78

Lumping DiU in with shows like modern Berserk, Erased, and MHA as casual shows that'll elicit salt from the more critical members if it places high on AOTY is one of the most willfully ignorant things I've seen in this thread.

Calm down kitty.

JoJo is legit good and well liked by everyone, which is why it's up there. I should have clarified that; it's not in the same catagory as MHA, Berzerk and Erased. My bad. JoJo will probably finish at the top, which is why it's there, lol..

What will be interesting is where the yuri baiting of that band show ends up, lol.

I see for the top 10 not in order

MHA
Jojo
Erased
Haikyu
Gundam IBO
re:zero
euphomium s2
Maybe Mob psycho 100
Kiznaiver
luluco

I would place My Hero Academia over jojo any day

I think I watched 10 or so episodes and I couldn't disagree more. Subaru acts pretty much like a typical LN main character, the main girl is miss perfect princess, battle maids are battle maids. The way the main character gushes over the girls is irritating to watch, his battle prowess is completely unexplained. It is pretty much your "average" guy gets dropped into a world where he is suddenly and inexplicably extremely useful and necessary, where he gets women practically dropped into his lap (and in Re:Zero they are by the boatload) and he has a cheat which means the rules don't really apply to him. It is the bog-standard template of LN trash.

????
Who is Subaru useful and necessary to? Emilia is at best bemused by him and the whole point of the current arc is that
his spoilt MC like behaviour has resulted in her sending him away
. Rem has fallen for him but
he has been honest in rejecting her unlike the typical harem setup where the MC is a indecisive idiot who won't be honest with the other girls to avoid 'hurting' them
. That's it for the harem aspects so unless you're used to some very small boats I'm not sure where the 'boatload' comment comes from.

The only character for whom Subaru is truly useful is
likely Satella the Witch and his purpose appears to be keeping Emilia alive on the basis of his infatuation which is either cheesy writing or possibly another aspect of the curse
. I can agree that other parts like his being the fittest NEET ever seen are weak but to say it's bog standard is a stretch, Infinite Stratos/Hundred/Cerberus/etc, etc it ain't.

Cornbread78

going by what happened in episode 15/16, it appears to have happened immediately after (next day) the appearance of the whale, so it is a connected timeline. The second time he tried, he passed the Beatlejuice guy on the way there and the attack was already taking place. it appears to be hours apart, but I'm guessing we will get a more clear timeline after next weeks episode.

Since when does Subaru have battle prowess? He pretty much gets shit on multiple times each episode.

Did you check out this battle move:
tumblr_o8bk88lJY61rt66alo1_540.gif

Subaru's got some battle skills, man!

I really wonder how MHA will perform. For me the hype for that show doesn't seem to equal the level of enthusiasm we're expecting but I could be wrong.
I see JoJo being up there and for me so far it's between that and Mob as the best show of the year. Not sure if that's going to change either.

I haven't checked in awhile, but is Mob getting the same kind of attention from casuals as the others were? MHA was getting lots of love everywhere, but in here, lol.

The poll shows that Konosuba, Kiznaiver, Luluco, Rakugo should be up there.
I was going of the top of my head but you are right. I actually forgot Konosuba was this year.

I'll be surprised if Konosuba hits the top 10, I mean, I have it in my top 3, but it didn't really take off with "casuals," or even in here because of it's tropey (or anti-tropey) ways as well as some f the fan service from characters like Darkness.

It's a re-release? I thought it was more along the lines of first release in english.

Oh well it's not like we lacked good movies this year.

Released on DVD back in 2008 and BD in 2011 in both the US and UK. US copies went out of print after Bandai Entertainment shut down.

Line_HTX

Hybrid x Heart episode 5

I honestly felt like i was taking crazy pills this episode. NOTHING, not a damn thing, made sense this episode. Everything felt dumb and random.Not to mention that the art and animation was legit ass even for this show, which tends to be horrible anyway. While I still think Dog and Scissors is worse, it isn't by a large margin. I might not be in pain like i was when watching Lance n' masques, but my god, am I close.

I literally had to lie down for a second, put my hands to my face and try damn hard not to scream from the shear terribleness this show provided.

Would you prefer Hundred instead?

:p

Cornbread78

Moribito ep.1
So we just started the next "Let's Watch today so I thought I'd share my first impressions f the show over here as well:

Excellent opening. The visuals and music is stunning for an older show, even though it is not very "clean" The little details in the sky and mountain line look great.

I like the way they set up the story here from the rescue at the beginning to the escape at the end. you can already see how this will be a struggle for Balsa from the beginning and she was cunning enough to point that out to the princess. The initial impression of Balsa is really good as well because you can tell immediately that she is a very skilled warrior, but also has a good sense of justice from troubles she has had in the past. I can't wait to watch more now!

Defuser

Strangely enough Re:zero doesn't have any fanservice like pantyshots or lingerie or any pervertic angle on women's assets. Except maybe for Elsa but she is so psychotic that nobody noticed much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom