• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I only add it to the list, because how many people have watched Berzerk, literally, only watched Berzerk this year? It's a relatively large number, is it not?

Berserk is apparently so disappointing I don't think they'd even want to give it a vote.

Line_HTX

Sure sounds like AnimeGAF lol. We can't like popular things guys, come on :p

I know you're being facetious, but c'mon now. I stopped at episode 3 and I'll marathon the rest when it's finished because this is one of those shows where I don't want to keep up week to week.

As for popular things, it's not like I'm saying you can't like it because it's popular. That's kind of unfair. Hell, I loved Erased for a while before changing my tune a little. I'm a skeptical type that usually waits it out a while before jumping in. I'm simply not into Re:Zero that much right now and a little meh towards it every Sunday, is all.

Tongue-in-cheek or no, this post sounds far more like AnimeGAF lately than any sentiment about not liking popular things.

"Everyone else likes it. Why don't you??"

Agreed. Several years ago I would have said that AnimeGAF was a unique refuge from the general tone of online anime discussion, but that's not the case nowadays.

'When Marnie Was There' and?

That came out in 2015. I still have films I'm hoping to see this year, but as of today my favorite anime films of 2016 are Anthem of the Heart, Kaze no Matasaburou, and Kizumonogatari Part I.

sonicmj1

As tempting as it is to be "part of the zeitgeist", I don't think I could watch Re: Zero at this point even if I wanted to. All the discussion I've already seen makes the show way too loaded for me.

Line_HTX

Strangely enough Re:zero doesn't have any fanservice like pantyshots or lingerie or any pervertic angle on women's assets. Except maybe for Elsa but she is so psychotic that nobody noticed much.

I think it was Elsa's attire that got some zooming in IIRC.

Tongue-in-cheek or no, this post sounds far more like AnimeGAF lately than any sentiment about not liking popular things.

"Everyone else likes it. Why don't you??"

This thread has gotten really bad in terms of people being unable to separate criticism of shows they like from criticism of themselves. It happens with even the mildest of criticism.

This thread has gotten really bad in terms of people being unable to separate criticism of shows they like from criticism of themselves. It happens with even the mildest of criticism.
But that's to be expected when some people use the word shit and bad so easily. Criticism is ok but if we listen to some people here some shows would be the worst thing to have ever existed, when really they are good. Saying bad stuff about a show people like will but them on the defensive for sure.

Just looking at some of the re:zero comments and heeeh.

heh... no its not.

But if you seriously think so, please, do tell how its "usual LN trash"

I honestly think anyone who thinks this dropped it 2-3 episodes into arc 1, or more likely, after episode 1A.

don't expect a conclusive or "happy" end here. While Re:Zero is adaption all available LN volumes, its still very much mid-series as a stopping point. Things will happen, we won't have full answers, and we will be left in the dark at least a bit. Not to mention, the author is a sadist.

Yes it is.
Re:Zero does handle certain scenes very well and subvert the genre but it also falls back on the LN trash and ultimately as a result is unable to escape it. Atrocious otaku MC, videogame fantasy world for what reason exactly, MC is usually the sole important male character surrounded by a predominantly female cast of which I'm sure numerous are into him, scantily clad villains, probable fan service moments, probably one character whose sole purpose is to fulfil the wishes of otaku etc etc

I understand the show handles certain dramatic moments well, and while I think the redo on deaths immensely detracts from the importance of death for a main character in a series, I understand the attraction in how its used to explore consequences but lets not sit here and pretend this is some deconstruction of the genre. This ain't an Evangelion if you get what I mean.

Narag

But that's to be expected when some people use the word shit and bad so easily. Criticism is ok but if we listen to some people here some shows would be the worst thing to have ever existed, when really they are good. Saying bad stuff about a show people like will but them on the defensive for sure.

Just looking at some of the re:zero comments and heeeh.

No, it shouldn't be expected at all. People get far too emotionally invested in a property and take offense when others aren't drinking the kool-aid themselves. Sure, defend away if you feel the need, but people need to stop taking these criticisms personally, especially when they're not drive-by posts but Instead well presented.

SOLDIER

Strangely enough Re:zero doesn't have any fanservice like pantyshots or lingerie or any pervertic angle on women's assets. Except maybe for Elsa but she is so psychotic that nobody noticed much.

It's downright shocking how much restraint they've shown with Rem considering she's parading around in a maid outfit.

Agreed. Several years ago I would have said that AnimeGAF was a unique refuge from the general tone of online anime discussion, but that's not the case nowadays.

Yeah. Back then I don't think I was that much different from a majority of posters here when it came to my taste. But I was super into reading all the lengthy posts about certain shows and the interesting points and topics of discussion that came up often.

Posters like CorvoSol, Jexius, Hitokage (RIP. :(), and Branduil all had unique things to say about certain shows and I loved the way their opinions bounced off each other.

Discussing shows with them was fun, and I learned a lot of things from them.

Nowadays, there's a show that airs that becomes super popular and the thread is filled with people saying how much they love it and the few that don't and raise points of criticism spark more bitter arguments with people than they do thoughtful discussion anymore.

No, it shouldn't be expected at all. People get far too emotionally invested in a property and take offense when others aren't drinking the kool-aid themselves. Sure, defend away if you feel the need, but people need to stop taking these criticisms personally, especially when they're not drive-by posts but Instead well presented.
I had no problem with well constructed criticism like some made by people like Jarmel. The post causing problem are the drive-by shit post by some and the ones that just go to far. If a group of people on gaf hate something the people who like it will get destroyed. If you like something the hate group will surely affect you.

Also sometime I feel animegaf is less populated then before and I really think that the negativity is a cause.

Narag

I had no problem with well constructed criticism like some made by people like Jarmel. The post causing problem are the drive-by shit post by some and the ones that just go to far. If a group of people on gaf hate something the people who like it will get destroyed. If you like something the hate group will surely affect you.

Also sometime I feel animegaf is less populated then before and I really think that the negativity is a cause.

Drive-bus should be ignored lest you get too personally involved in defending a show from someone shotposting for the lulz.

It goes both ways too as I've had to follow at least a dozen formerly prolific posters that moved offsite after growing tired of the "fun things are fun" brigade attempting to shut down all but the most circlejerk of discussion.

Actually no, it's quite the opposite of this.

It's the overwhelming positivity and emotional investment that many of these shows get and the majority of criticism directed at them very often starts one of these heated arguments.

It got so bad that the posters I mentioned above sans Hito left the thread and thought it wasn't a good place for discussion anymore.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It goes both ways too as I've had to follow at least a dozen formerly prolific posters that moved offsite after growing tired of the "fun things are fun" brigade attempting to shut down all but the most circlejerk of discussion.

I apologise for every mention I've ever made of K-on.

Aki-at

JoJo is legit good and well liked by everyone, which is why it's up there.

I knew my faith in you wasn't misplaced.

I haven't checked in awhile, but is Mob getting the same kind of attention from casuals as the others were? MHA was getting lots of love everywhere, but in here, lol.

Yeah I've seen plenty of people say how much they like it/tweet fanart but I don't know if that's going to translate to success.

But in terms of Mob vs MHA I think Mob will lose out. I was thinking more along the lines that JoJo is going to end up on top but for me personally, it's going to be a pick between DiU and Mob Psycho. Deciding that will be pretty damn tough as I feel both have their strong points but as JoJo is going to last longer, it just might be it's duration that helps it to win out in the end.

blurr

I haven't stayed long enough to form a clear perspective on the state of the community but so far it's been better than anywhere else I've been in(some Indian forums, facebook groups and r/anime). I've seen great discussions but they're not very often and sometimes I find some discussions utterly pointless and insufferable, it's not even funny. I just leave and come back at a better time in that case.

Hell, let me know if there's a better place (apart from certain sections of twitter) haha.

Oh also, came across these tweets on Lucky Star - quite a surprise.

Macross Delta 19

This seemed like an episode dedicated to showing off all the older Macross shows with a little bit of an info dump as well. I've forgotten a lot about the older ones and this episode made me want to correct that and rewatch them.

Too bad I still have to finish watching Cardcaptor Sakura first.

Line_HTX

Nowadays, there's a show that airs that becomes super popular and the thread is filled with people saying how much they love it and the few that don't and raise points of criticism spark more bitter arguments with people than they do thoughtful discussion anymore.

How are those that are ambivalent at best towards a popular show spark bitter arguments?

In some cases it's moving to greener pastures... like Twitter (lol).

I am pretty disappointed at Jojo impressions. I mean I get it's good, but I don't get a lot of whys from people when I read them, and of course the defensiveness of when it's not to someone's palette.

Line_HTX

I haven't stayed long enough to form a clear perspective on the state of the community but so far it's been better than anywhere else I've been in(some Indian forums, facebook groups and r/anime). I've seen great discussions but they're not very often and sometimes I find some discussions utterly pointless and insufferable, it's not even funny. I just leave and come back at a better time in that case.

Hell, let me know if there's a better place (apart from certain sections of twitter) haha.

Not long enough for me either, but I definitely found this place to be way more active and more frequent than other forums even when there are times when there's hardly any activity for one day. Funny, I just had to say something similar in the Fighting Games thread, haha

Macross Delta 19

This seemed like an episode dedicated to showing off all the older Macross shows with a little bit of an info dump as well. I've forgotten a lot about the older ones and this episode made me want to correct that and rewatch them.

Too bad I still have to finish watching Cardcaptor Sakura first.

Ahhhhh Cardcaptor Sakura one of the best anime of my childhood. Just thinking about the ending still makes me so happy.

Do not forget to check the last movie it gives the story such a good ending.

People should voice their opinion regardless of if a show is popular or not. I have noticed lately though, when some members of anime gaf do criticze shows that have got somewhat of a following, its foreseen as not liking something just because its popular despite the criticism being valid. I'm sure many of us also enjoy popular shows as well.

I dunno I haven't really been to reddit or other anime forums but the criticism on here seems fine to me whether I agree with a person or not NeoGAF house rules mean it's all kept within reasonable boundaries (the main reason I disdain other forums is a lack of vigorous modding). I mean even the show I bat for Re:Zero has some considerable flaws from the MC being unbearable at times to the way the 3rd arc 'fridges' a lot of the female cast. I haven't felt attacked by someone with contrary opinions and would hope that I haven't done the same.

To be clear if I do come off as of I'm jumping on anyone feel free to call me on it in PMs if you don't feel comfortable doing so in the thread.

John Blade

anna_aoi__godannar_saison_1_episode_03__by_cloclo45-da9l0kt.jpg

Well...just start where it end from last episode and look like Goh realize how special Anna is to him.

Also, introduction of the super robot team which Goh fight with and basically telling Anna how they're his best friend who will work together when fighting the monster (like the one they're currently fighting in the episode).

Nothing too crazy to talk with and Goh friend isn't crazy to talk about except the boobies and ass shot. I guess the best thing to watch is the fight scene when seeing all the super robot fight together to kill the monster.

Oh damn I usually follow and agree with most of the reviews of ANN, but I thought from impressions here that lucky star was supposed to be....good?

The reviewer just destroyed it, I do not see D+ that often from them. Maybe i'll postpone my watch of it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/lucky-star/blu-ray-the-complete-series-ova/.105108

Literally just read this review and had the same exact same reaction, was not expecting it to get the shoeing it did

Puzzle & Dragons Cross Episode 5
CpbOWWWWcAAhzkt.jpg:small
CpbRZWfW8AA8BsE.jpg:small

Soul Armor Ace is amazing.
too bad he was defeated,I hope his confidence wont be crushed :(

The ED got updated again, more dancing from the best. I loved it
CpbVWy_XgAAIMMR.jpg:small
CpbVWy-XgAAJdlz.jpg:small

blurr

I'm going through that review right now but I've mostly been a proponent of watching it which is something I believed not out of some nostalgia or 'first time's the charm' sort of fascination but I genuinely enjoyed a lot of segments from the show, even upon rewatching on YouTube.

I have begun rewatching the actual show to ascertain this.

Cornbread78

That came out in 2015. I still have films I'm hoping to see this year, but as of today my favorite anime films of 2016 are Anthem of the Heart, Kaze no Matasaburou, and Kizumonogatari Part I.

Literally watching this right now. Taking a break about halfway though. It's been really good so far..

I say like what you like and post away. Heck regardless of people joking around you have DTL who sticks to his shows and continues loving them. Then we have deep analysis of classic works like Javac. I thoroughly enjoy reading Jarmel's stuff as well (Kiznaiver impressions were great), and Hosanna's analytical eye for the people behind the works. There are way too many people for me to name you all, but everyone that posts here has something to them that makes me enjoy reading and keep on posting here.

BUT that doesn't change the fact that folks outside of our group continue to think this place is extra negative and not newbie friendly. I'm on everyone's side, since I enjoy reading elaborate impressions and criticisms. But things like calling a work shit, or belittling the viewers is just bad etiquete and further makes our community seem like something that is exclusive to only us, the big bad eliticist AnimeGAF.

Be friendly, be respectful and please for fuck's sake enjoy your anime. I get the impression sometimes that people are up to date on shows that they absolutely hate, and that makes no sense to me. When something is bad, I agree that the criticism should be put on the table, but why continue hate-watching something when it clearly isn't for you?

Hope to make my points clear, and I'm not taking any jabs at anyone. Just my two cents. Which will surely have tons of typos, because I'm in a rush and autocorrect isn't my friend.

Aki-at

I don't even find this place particularly negative. I mean yeah I know there are certain people who don't like my favourites but that's okay and most of the time the jokes go over my head but overall it's been a pretty welcoming community.

In some cases it's moving to greener pastures... like Twitter (lol).

I am pretty disappointed at Jojo impressions. I mean I get it's good, but I don't get a lot of whys from people when I read them, and of course the defensiveness of when it's not to someone's palette.

I like watching big muscular men beat the living snot out of each other as my avatar implies :D

It's not high entertainment, I fully respect people who consider Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju a better show (Though I haven't watch it, I believe it deals with it's subject matter impeccably from what I've read of people's impression and the way the human drama is portrayed sounds to be satisfying) nor is it going to be something that has the animation quality I've just seen in the latest episode of Mob Psycho.

But for me it's a one of a kind type of show, the random poses the characters pull, the general art direction and the framing through out is fantastic (Something I've learnt to pay more attention to thanks to this thread!) and I love a bit of sound effects writing appearing every now and again haha. I don't expect it to be everyone's cup of tea and I'm willing to accept what I believe is cool (And to me this shows oozes a lot of it) is completely different from others. But if you don't like it I don't have a problem, though I'd disagree vehemently with people who would consider Diamond is Unbreakable rubbish!

Qurupeke

Maybe a bit late to the party but, I'm also of the opinion that this place is cool, but I noticed the past few days a lot of shitposting. Re: Zero is popular and I like it well enough, but it's not as perfect as people make it out to be. dimb made a post earlier about Re: Zero's flaws, I think it was a bit excessive, but his criticism seemed quite accurate to me. Like the discussions about MHA before, it's fine to like a show just because it gets everything you hoped right or because it surpasses your expectations, but I'd prefer if people put more effort in justifying why they like a show, instead of posting how terrible all of this negativity is. I'm pretty sure a lot of people, and I'm guilty of it too, just want to post or read some impressions and call it a day, instead of enganging in lengthy and tedious debates, but I think actual discussion helps the community more. However, it seems that lengthier discussions here are mostly about why a show is bad, which creates the "negativity" some people may feel.

Oh, and I also believe that the hyperbole on the quality of a show goes both ways. It seems awful to watch a show you obviously hate, just as it's awful to come here just to let everyone know daily how awesome something is, with little to no justification other than "it's fun".

Anyway, I like this community, so I don't want to see it falling apart. It still has a lot of knowledgeable people who make good posts and it's generally a nice place to talk about anime.

Narag

Shame Genocidal Organ isn't until Winter or I'd suggest the fall subtitle of "The March Lion, the Witches, and the corpse of Manglobe"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom