• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

I had the same reaction as the reviewer as well. Lucky Star was only good at that time. I can't rewatch it anymore because it doesn't feel the same, plus the newer Kyoani shows have better focus on what they want to do.

TrueBlue

Lucky Star was just kinda eh.

It comes off as one of those things that looks worse as more time passes, even if that does sound unfair.

I would say skip all the seasons until My Hero Academia season 2 but Haikyu! is in fall so it's way too important to skip.

No. Lucky Star fucking sucks and always did.

This time I will take your words for it. It's just that, ever since Lucky star was brought up, it is the first time I really hear anything negative about it.

Taruranto

I wish we could skip to the fall seasons so we don't need to discuss mediocre anime all the time.

I'm actually enjoying this season way more than a lot of seasons in recent memory. :X

Binan, 91Days, Battery, 2 DR anime, Handa, Arslan... scratch that, I'm enjoying this season a lot!

blurr

I actually liked almost everything he(ANN Lucky Star review) said is bad about it and didn't think the show he took example(Nichijou) of as 'doing it right' as that good lol

Line_HTX

91 Days 02

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Now what I want to know is what happened to
Serpente's body and who the hell removed it from the cemetary?
Another thing is shouldn't Avrilo be going after the Orca family first to get closer to the Vanettis?

blurr

The low-key manzai setup he is referring to made for a lot of my favorite jokes where I did/do laugh out loud.

Generally agree with Nick Creamer on a show although occassionally, I end up liking shows he doesn't.

I actually liked almost everything he(ANN Lucky Star review) said is bad about it and didn't think the show he took example(Nichijou) of as 'doing it right' as that good lol

I admire Nichijou for being very experimental in its approach to comedy, even if that made it a controversial show.

Yes it is.
Re:Zero does handle certain scenes very well and subvert the genre but it also falls back on the LN trash and ultimately as a result is unable to escape it. Atrocious otaku MC, videogame fantasy world for what reason exactly, MC is usually the sole important male character surrounded by a predominantly female cast of which I'm sure numerous are into him, scantily clad villains, probable fan service moments, probably one character whose sole purpose is to fulfil the wishes of otaku etc etc

I understand the show handles certain dramatic moments well, and while I think the redo on deaths immensely detracts from the importance of death for a main character in a series, I understand the attraction in how its used to explore consequences but lets not sit here and pretend this is some deconstruction of the genre. This ain't an Evangelion if you get what I mean.

Atrocious MC - eeehhh since recent episodes

video game fantasy world for no reason - eeeehhhhh
the whole this is a realy world where MC is a random shithead to the powerful people was done pretty well

MC is sole important male - yeah, probably true, so far at least

Female cast that's into him - 1, maybe 2

scantily clad villains - only first few episodes iirc

fan service moments - yeah. At least it's not as bad as some other crap out there, but it's still there

Wish fulfillment character - yeah

Redo on death hurts deaths - mostly. Seeing some support characters die tends to generate more shock for the scene itself than significance now, but the changing save points has potential to screw with this. They already
put a savepoint past one of his fuck-ups
and I expect a more serious repeat

Also,
MC getting affected by repeated death sorta dealt with that. It was done pretty well (some stuff I was more eh about, mindbreaking your protag isn't an immediate wow for me, although it's still decently interesting)

Overall, Re: Zero's been pretty fun to watch. Generally when you're in the middle of a show, you're going to have more extreme reactions out of it, but I can say I enjoyed it. Say maybe a few hours ago and I might've been singing its praises to the heavens and all, but most shows are like that.

Also, total newcomer to anime GAF, but main reason I hadn't really joined before is because I tend to binge shows, which are often older, and rarely keep up with stuff in a season format. Although I really like the feeling of putting first reactions out and discussing it, so I think I might want to keep up more

KIZNAIVER 1 & 2

Premise is very VLR but characters are very much Trigger. It's holding my interest. We'll see how it goes.

Beyond the Boundary 1

I can get behind this. It has an interesting premise that started off really weird. By the end of the episode though I was following and was able to get pulled into it much like KIZNAIVER. Though for this it didn't take two episodes for me to get behind the premise.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Psycho_Mantis, what episode of Re:Zero were you at when you dropped it? Because it sounds like we are watching a different show than you.

blurr

I admire Nichijou for being very experimental in its approach to comedy, even if that made it a controversial show.

yep, it was quite a sight to watch unfortunately the humor barely ever resonated with me

I loved the more laid back and casual nature of Lucky Star despite being vastly inferior from a creative point of view

Might just be because I binged it all in 2 sitting, but one area I've been disappointed with Re:Zero was with the animation

Having trouble remembering specific standout moments

Aki-at

I was pretty hyped to watch Lucky Star after my friend recommended it but the first episode didn't illicit a single positive response form me and the comedy fell flat everytime. I might give the second episode a watch at some point but I've got enough shows to finish off before I pick up another one.

It was controversial?

I'm only ten episodes in but I'm loving it more than it failing to make on impression on me, I assume the segmented nature of the show was what put some people off?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Lucky Star Episode 1 was deemed trash at it's premiere. The rest of the series is better.

Nichijou is amazing, but Japan has bad taste and greedy companies.

blurr

If you're mentioning Nisemonogatari, might as well say Monogatari in general.

Nichijou looked so good, I almost felt bad for not laughing most of the time.

Cornbread78

I'm totally at a loss for words at the moment and I have to get on a conference call... Anthem of the Heart is friggen' beautiful man... just damn.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The two most famous "jokes" in Lucky Star are

- agonizingly long section about the proper way to eat a cornet
- Timotei

Lucky Star sucks so much.

Even the most die hard Lucky Star fan will not defend the cornet segment. Lucky Star starts with episode four(?) for many.

It's been too long since I've seen it to really say whether it held up or not. I just remember that one needed to at least be au fait with some anime culture to get the most out of it. Since it was an early reference show for me I was probably more accepting of it since that was new to me (and I probably felt smart being able to get certain anime things). However, years later I would be very critical of Haiyore! Nyaruko-san for relying far too much on reference humour so I may find that Lucky Star doesn't hold up for me either.

However, back then, I did enjoy it.

At least the MADs will never get old.

TrueBlue

I enjoyed Bakemonogatari quite a bit.

That said, I don't think I'll jump into Nise if what are some of the things I've heard about it are true.

Hmm... Maybe things would have been better if Rezero had it's own thread like other popular shows? ;p

Lucky Star Episode 1 was deemed trash at it's premiere. The rest of the series is better.

Yeah, the first episode is kinda bad, but the rest is pretty good.

MC is sole important male? He is the protagonist but like 5 male characters already upstage him. Hell the girls do too.

I guess that depends on upstage as meaning outclass him or basic plot relevance.

Mainly 3, maybe stretch to 5 "main character + main supporting cast". Asides from Puck, they are all female.

MC, Rem, Emilia, maybe.... Ram and Puck?

But thou must.

Even if you hate Nise, you need it for Second Season and Owari.

Have to second this too much happens that the other seasons depend on to just skip it. The uncomfortable stuff isn't hard to skip in episode and the infamous
toothbrush
scene is not that graphic just nasty from context.

blurr

I enjoyed Bakemonogatari quite a bit.

That said, I don't think I'll jump into Nise if what are some of the things I've heard about it are true.

take it at your own pace but let it be known that the show shines the brightest past it

if not the brightest, it remains more consistently good and definitely worth watching

sonicmj1

On the meta-community level, I guess I feel like this place has gotten a little... closer to the mean (more positive/less critical, broader taste) over time, and as many major contributors to the community left or significantly cut back their posting. I don't know if that's anyone's fault.

Personally, I post less now than I used to because as I've gotten older, I started to care less about letting everyone know what I think about every episode of what I watch.

On that subject, since I've dropped everything but Mob Psycho, Jojo, and Thunderbolt Fantasy, I went back to:

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 4-9

This show goes back to its most basic joke a little too often, and basically every major character they've introduced since the first episode has been a girl for some reason (Tanaka's sister veers a little too close to "brocon" for my taste). That being said, I still find this show to be calming and delightful.

As comedies go, I like that it doesn't depend as much on oversized reactions as a lot of anime humor does. Part of that is how it'll sometimes let an awkward moment just sit for a while, instead of feeling the need to force a big response. It's pretty low-key, without quite going full slice-of-life.

It also has its share of nice little touches. Perhaps my favorite are some of the episode-specific between-sketch eyecatches, which are often hilarious and surprising. Or how the episode titles for the preview are always written by Tanaka-kun, and never quite finished. It's not exceptional, but it's a lot of fun, and the characters do more for me than something like New Game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom