• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I will forever associate BGBW with Pop Team Epic pictures.

qLnPAEs.png

Cornbread78

Anthem of the Heart

yyMM9wY.png

H7n2YI7.png

vhoIXFV.gif

I really suck as these write-ups and probably always will. Basically, I just suck as communicating what is on my mind sometimes. This is one of those shows/movies where it is difficult to convey what I just watched and how I feel about it. I’m not sure what I came into this expecting, but I saw the description of it and thought it sounded interesting, so why not give it a try? I’m so glad I took the time to watch it because not only was the story beautiful, but the scenery and imagery the show uses were just as breathtaking and more I could have hoped for. I was not prepared for that ending and it took a turn I was not expecting at all, but it speaks to how effort the writer put in up to that point to make it a memorable ending. I’ll be honest, I was kind of disappointed in the say it turned out because it did turn out differently than what I thought, but like I said, it was done, so friggen’ well and it fit perfectly. I’ve seen that same scene in another show a couple weeks ago, but this presentation was much stronger and left a much longer lasting impression on me.

“No one knows the feelings inside the heart’s shell. Even so, the truth is…
I want to cry out my true feelings”

We all struggle with this our entire lives, and often run into trouble trying to express ourselves properly and that is the underlying message of the story. I’m at a loss for words trying to write this up. This was emotionally genuine and hits straight to the heart that’s for sure. Outstanding….. just wow….. I’m still in awe how great this was. I wish I could post more examples of the great imagery the show has, but some would be spoilers, so I'll refrain.

KIZNAIVER 3

"Just kidding"

Gah!!! I don't like when shows end an episode on an interesting cliffhanger and then brush over it at the beginning of the next episode. I still really like the OP. This last dude they found is...super weird. "Annoyingly Self-righteous" seems like a weird "sin" to label a person, considering that trait is entirely relative and taken from a certain point of view.

Theonik

Cowboy Bebop ep.25-END

Oh wow. What a closing, just wow. Whoever said last week that there should be a continuation of the show was out of their mind after that ending. Poor Faye, I mean, dammmmn.. I wasn't expecting that one at all. Really well done. My only gripe with ghe show is the episodic approaxh they took to tell Spike's story. I mean, they give you bits and pieces along the way, but that central story from the two middle episodes and the end would have been great...

Damn, that ending though..
You're gonna carry that weight.

Brave Witches
Bubuki Buranki Hoshi no Kyojin
Keijo!!!!!!!!
SHOW BY ROCK!! 2
ViVid Strike!

Fall gon b gud
Yea boiiiii

Lucky Star still has one of the best OPs of all time.
Have I told you about the time I danced the OP while playing it on the kazoo?

Jex

Cowboy Bebop ep.22

Andy the cowboy/musashi, lol. Pretty funny episode as Spike and Andy clash as they chase down the wordless bomber. Also, hippie Jet is best Jet!

I just can't handle someone in 2016 watching the Cowboy Beboo DVD.

Please, you're killing me. Based on the quality of your screenshots you don't even have a decent DVD transfer!

Theonik

Please, you're killing me. Based on the quality of your screenshots you don't even have a decent DVD transfer!
This is how I felt at recent eva watches. Everyone should use the actual BD source and 2MB PNGs!

phaze

I hate it. Its the usual LN trash with a gimmick. Couldn't take it seriously and dropped it.

If Gorou Sessha doesn't work on last eps of Naruto I'm holding you responsible.

Might just be because I binged it all in 2 sitting, but one area I've been disappointed with Re:Zero was with the animation

Having trouble remembering specific standout moments

Episode 3 battle scenes ? Ep 7 or 8 character art ?Ep 15's character animation for Betelgeuse and Rem's fights ?

I feel the bigger problem is that what's between those is pretty far removed from that level and frequently butchered by the CG use but at the same time, if you overlook the latter, it's still pretty competent production to me on that front.

Psycho-Pass 9-11
The meat of the arc again wasn't particularly interesting but the confrontation at the end served well to put the Sibylla system and its vices in the forefront. That can be said for Akane too as she's been playing second fiddle to Kogami for the longest time.

Clov

Sony Pictures is releasing a fantastic four disc collection consisting of Memories, Steamboy, Paprika, and Tekkonkinkreet!

Now that I've raised your hopes, it seems to be DVD only. I'm pretty disappointed, since I really want to own Memories on BD.

Episode 3 battle scenes ? Ep 7 or 8 character art ?Ep 15's character animation for Betelgeuse and Rem's fights ?

I feel the bigger problem is that what's between those is pretty far removed from that level and frequently butchered but the CG use but at the same time, if you overlook the latter, it's still pretty competent production to me on that front.

You forgot Puck clapping, which is objectively the best cut in the show.

Sony Pictures is releasing a fantastic four disc collection consisting of Memories, Steamboy, Paprika, and Tekkonkinkreet!

Now that I've raised your hopes, it seems to be DVD only. I'm pretty disappointed, since I really want to own Memories on BD.

Two of those are already available on BD in the UK lol.

Clov

I got this one from Sony released in Scandinavia with those 4 + more:
https://www.platekompaniet.no/dvd/anime-collection/

All got English subtitles as well

That's a pretty crazy collection! A lot of neat stuff in there.

Two of those are already available on BD in the UK lol.

In North America, we have Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet at least. Still really want Memories.

Tokyo Godfathers also would be nice, if Sony still has the rights.

Mailbox

As the months go by, i get more and more pissed of at Kawaisou not having a BD release.

come the fuck on sentai, you said you'd do it and i'm trying to be patient here, but jesus christ just release it so i can buy it!

Clov

As the months go by, i get more and more pissed of at Kawaisou not having a BD release.

come the fuck on sentai, you said you'd do it and i'm trying to be patient here, but jesus christ just release it so i can buy it!

Neither does Hidamari Sketch Honeycomb, or the full last episode of Gatchaman Crowds' first season.

You're killing me, Sentai!

My greatest wish for a BD release in the US at the moment is still Mushishi Zoku Sho. Aniplex of America will release (sadly popular) junk like Asterisk War but refuses to give us Mushishi, grumble grumble.

Cornbread78

A Certain Magical Index ep.9
411160.jpg

I guess it wasn't really a "kidnapping" this time around, but man, that alchemist got what he deserved with this one for being such an idiot to both the church girl and Index. Looks like Touma is now in the care of two ladies now,.... Bring on the harem, lol.

Clov

My greatest wish for a BD release in the US at the moment is still Mushishi Zoku Sho. Aniplex of America will release (sadly popular) junk like Asterisk War but refuses to give us Mushishi, grumble grumble.

Yep, that's pretty high up there for me as well. They could (and would) charge me a few hundred, and I'd probably still buy it. Yet they won't!

Another want of mine is Wandering Son, which is another Aniplex Japan property (thus not very likely), along with Mononoke which only has a DVD release here through Cinedigm. The title I want the absolute most though is The Tatami Galaxy! Year after year, Funimation fails me.

Don't even get me started on the titles I want that don't even have BD releases in Japan... because there's a lot of them and it makes me sad.

Scar-red Rider XechS Episode 6My Generation

Fun music episode, I hope Hijiro gets to actually since in the band, he looked like he really wanted to.

they deserved to play at the fest of all the times for the baddie to show up :(

This time I will take your words for it. It's just that, ever since Lucky star was brought up, it is the first time I really hear anything negative about it.

Selective bias. I remember watching the first episode, saying "noooope" and dropping it at the moment, not commenting about it. People who liked it stayed watching it and talking about it.

Szadek

Honestly, I think that criticising a show just because it has many troopes is not very helpful.
It's on the same level as saying that you don't like the main characters hair color.

That alone doesn't really tell me anything useful about the anime in question since there are good and bad ways to handle these troopes.

Yes it is.
Re:Zero does handle certain scenes very well and subvert the genre but it also falls back on the LN trash and ultimately as a result is unable to escape it.

I even would be not sure about subverting the genre.

The genre is 'heroic fantasy'. Now, it's true it doesn't follow the easy way of heroic fantasy of other LN-trash, but it's still squarely in the genre.

Re:Zero stands out because at least it takes the hard road to heroicness. It plays the 'long game'*, making the MC fail and be an ass, and of course all the deaths and suffering in between, until it eventually reaches the more heroic status, that way when it finally reaches it, it's all more rewarding for the viewer/ LN reader.
But if you think carefully enough, It's still wish-fulfillment in LN form, it's just more realistic and better thought out wish-fulfillment, the author knows the otaku that reads it and can perfectly put himself in place of the loser MC who hasn't done anything important in his life (like them), and it pays off to have the MC to be still a loser in the fantasy world until he hits rock bottom, so then he gain his eventual redemption from neet and ascent to hero, that way the reader can self-insert and feel with him that redemption.

*: How long? LN spoilers:
it seems he starts being more capable and using his powers in an conscious, intelligent way in the fifth arc.

I even would be not sure about subverting the genre.

The genre is 'heroic fantasy'. Now, it's true it doesn't follow the easy way of heroic fantasy of other LN-trash, but it's still squarely in the genre.

Re:Zero stands out because at least it takes the hard road to heroicness. It plays the 'long game'*, making the MC fail and be an ass, and of course all the deaths and suffering in between, until it eventually reaches the more heroic status, that way when it finally reaches it, it's all more rewarding for the viewer/ LN reader.
But if you think carefully enough, It's still wish-fulfillment in LN form, it's just more realistic and better thought out wish-fulfillment, the author knows the otaku that reads it and can perfectly put himself in place of the loser MC who hasn't done anything important in his life (like them), and it pays off to have the MC to be still a loser in the fantasy world until he hits rock bottom, so then he gain his eventual redemption from neet and ascent to hero, that way the reader can self-insert and feel with him that redemption.

I think it comes down to what is 'LN trash'? Is it the use of certain tropes regardless of the quality of execution or is it a question of how well a given piece executes on those tropes? Genre fiction of any type can be boiled down to tropes ('one tough cop', 'thief w/a heart of gold', etc, etc) what makes a piece better than the sum of it's parts is about how it uses them.

I've watched quite a few shows in the last few months and haven't seen many that have questioned the MCs role in the story as much as this one. While it is not necessary to offer counter examples to say you don't like a thing I would be interested in seeing some of the shows that others who think Re:Zero is pure LN trash believe did it better. Or is it that the use of the 'stranger in a strange world' trope alone that marks out a show as LN trash.

KIZNAIVER 4-8

I think it's fair to say this show has its hooks in me since I am burning through episodes quickly. Little frustrations here and there about relationships but I am liking how the show is handling pain and feelings in the writing and characterization. In terms of story, this is much better than most of Triggers other works and I am looking forward to seeing how the rest of the show is handled from here on out.

I fail to see how Re:Zero is subversive.

The largest part of the premise is Subaru's timeloop mechanic upon death. Of course that allows him to suffer and fail regularly, to the point of death. But since few, if any(?), other 'sucked into fantasy-world' anime have that mechanic, I cannot see how it subverts those. It still might allow the MC to be different, which can still be nice, but it just isn't subverting those other shows.

In fact, when you look at other shows who do have similar time loop mechanics, you'll find the same sort of suffering. Steins;Gate has all that in heaps.

Cornbread78

H x H ep.6
tumblr_nzakxxpHmd1ta7pubo1_540.gif

I can never look at this gif the same again after this episode.... This show is such $hit, this this is purely a hate watch because I'm too stubborn to not watch it now.. Big sister literally flew a helicopter to the middle of a battlefield with the other dimension warriors and dropped a portable
"love room" for her little brother and one of the girls
... LOLOLOL ,WTF, who comes up with this $hit.... WTF, lol. This show is terrible.... 5 rating at best.

Eumi

I fail to see how Re:Zero is subversive.

The largest part of the premise is Subaru's timeloop mechanic upon death. Of course that allows him to suffer and fail regularly, to the point of death. But since few, if any(?), other 'sucked into fantasy-world' anime have that mechanic, I cannot see how it subverts those. It still might allow the MC to be different, which can still be nice, but it just isn't subverting those other shows.

In fact, when you look at other shows who do have similar time loop mechanics, you'll find the same sort of suffering. Steins;Gate has all that in heaps.
The only real subversive thing I've found is the dude being the worst guy ever rather than the best guy ever. Like, most LN focus on how cool and important the MC is whilst Re:Zero focuses on how lame and unimportant Subaru is.

Which isn't exactly some huge amazing idea. Hell, Steins:Gate does the whole suffering of a time traveller thing much better.

But, you know, a show doesn't need to be some subversive masterpiece to be enjoyable.

Lucentto

Banned
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 1-13

Masterpiece, an absolute masterpiece. I don't think I have been this engrossed in a show for a long time. As someone that pays close attention to character interactions and development this was fantastic. Anyone who has not watched this yet needs to do so immediately.

Busaiku

Sweetness & Lightning 6

Ugh, this is what I feared from the 1st episode, but they didn't really touch on it, so I just thought it really was her just being lonely in general.
If they continue going down this route though, definitely gonna drop.

Ascheroth

As someone who currently has Re:Zero in his Top 3 for AOTY, I'll say this.

It's not 'subverting the genre'. My eyes are dangerously close to rolling into the back of my head whenever I read this word.

It has it's fair share of tropes associated with the 'transported into fantasy world LN' genre (or whatever you call it).
It uses some of them at face value, it doesn't use others at all, it mixes in some new and interesting stuff. The end-product is not some deep and thought-provoking story, but does everything have to be?
It's just damn entertaining and has me glued to the screen whenever a new episode hits.

Taruranto

Monokuma Time Dilemma #5
Oh fuck off. Is everyone a Remnant of Despair now?

Based on Yu Narukami's reaction, I guess the traitor is someone he's closed associated with. So either Juuzou or Yukizone. Or Junko. Or Junko is Yukizone. Were Yukizone and Junko ever seen together?

Also Gozu possibly isn't really dead because they never removed the mask anyway.

I don't understand the final scene. It looked like Munakata killed Seiko and stole the drug.

KIZNAIVER 9

What I fear would happen, happened this episode. But the episode needed to happen to hopefully move these characters forward. If it didn't, then I don't like this turn.

zulux21

don't expect a conclusive or "happy" end here. While Re:Zero is adaption all available LN volumes, its still very much mid-series as a stopping point. Things will happen, we won't have full answers, and we will be left in the dark at least a bit. Not to mention, the author is a sadist.

oh no it won't have a conclusive ending, but given how the other two arcs ended I can have plenty of hopes that this one will be on par and a solid stopping point with hooks for the future.

All this AOTY talk already.

JoJo
Berzerk
MHA

Just wait.

Let the salt begin now because the "casual" voters will stuff the ballot.

Erased should finish up there as well.

Erased came out to early. Just like video game GOTY most people will have forgotten about it by the time the AOTY voting comes around.... you could say it will be... Erased from their memories :3

Cowboy Bebop ep.25-END

Oh wow. What a closing, just wow. Whoever said last week that there should be a continuation of the show was out of their mind after that ending. Poor Faye, I mean, dammmmn.. I wasn't expecting that one at all. Really well done. My only gripe with ghe show is the episodic approaxh they took to tell Spike's story. I mean, they give you bits and pieces along the way, but that central story from the two middle episodes and the end would have been great...

Damn, that ending though..

do me a favor and hold off on watching the bebop movie until halloween. It's a solid movie but it is best watched on that day.

why would I waste money on a trivial upgrade like blu ray when I already own the DVD set :p

Cornbread78

As someone who currently has Re:Zero in his Top 3 for AOTY, I'll say this.

It's not 'subverting the genre'. My eyes are dangerously close to rolling into the back of my head whenever I read this word.

It has it's fair share of tropes associated with the 'transported into fantasy world LN' genre (or whatever you call it).
It uses some of them at face value, it doesn't use others at all, it mixes in some new and interesting stuff. The end-product is not some deep and thought-provoking story, but does everything have to be?
It's just damn entertaining and has me glued to the screen whenever a new episode hits.

This is what matters to most to me and why it will rank high on my list, but there are already a couple shows I would put ahead of it and I'm not too impressed with what is coming in the fall.... (sorry, Eupho just isn't high on my list...) I still have to take a close look at everything coming out, but yeah, it will be tough to know out of my top 3-5 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom