• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

This is what matters to most to me and why it will rank high on my list, but there are already a couple shows I would put ahead of it and I'm not too impressed with what is coming in the fall.... (sorry, Eupho just isn't high on my list...) I still have to take a close look at everything coming out, but yeah, it will be tough to know out of my top 3-5 this year.

entertainment value is the top thing for me.
rewatchablity plays a factor too.

My top anime tend to be shows that when I watched I was excited for the next episode, and that I would be more than happy to watch again.

stuff like animation doesn't have much effect on me in terms of making me like a show more, but poor animation can make me like a show less. (basically as long as it hits oh... current one piece levels of animation it doesn't have much of an effect on me)

KIZNAIVER 10

Huh...I didn't expect it to go that way and for my opinion on the matter to change so drastically. Even so, I am still rooting for Chidori to get what she wants out of this. But not everyone is going to come out of this happy.

This is what matters to most to me and why it will rank high on my list, but there are already a couple shows I would put ahead of it and I'm not too impressed with what is coming in the fall.... (sorry, Eupho just isn't high on my list...) I still have to take a close look at everything coming out, but yeah, it will be tough to know out of my top 3-5 this year.

I have a pretty good idea what my top 3-5 are. The problem is keeping in perspective the shows that finished earlier I the year and give them a fair shack to the shows that come out later in the year. Regardless, I know Orange and Erased will be in the top for me when all is said and done.

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #23 Jainus is Ours! A New Voyage!

Well that was fun but also exciting Laughed alot when the kids were back in control of the ship while the adults were clueless as to how to run the Jainus.

RIP Captain Roden

Hajime no Ippo 5

Blaajz5.jpg

This episode featured the rare male equivalent of girls comparing breast sizes.

Quasar

Yea, those two will be up there for me as well.

I doubt erased will even be in my top 10. Not because I didn't really like it (I did), just that the year seems pretty packed. Though thats counting on some future stuff to not screw the pooch (such as more Euphonium and Natsume).

Jintor

I'm still a bit nervous about eupho 2 tbh. But only because I'm pretty sure they won't go full yuriphonium

---

I might rewatch lucky star, but as someone says, i remember not really liking it until a couple of episodes in

KIZNAIVER 11 & 12 [END]

I will never understand why the caring childhood friend is always rejected by the end. I've always hated that trope.

Beyond that it was a relatively well-done show. I would say it's one of Triggers better shows, as I wasn't enthralled with Kill la Kill as much as I was with this show. It resolved itself by the end, which is always a plus in my book. The characters and their relationships were well thought out for the most part. If I ever wanted to kill time I would watch it again.

Oh and the OP is great. Or maybe it was just the song. Either way I never skipped it and attentively watched it so that must mean something.

Like the female equivalent it's quite common irl!

I can't say I've ever experienced it, but that's just me. Is the female equivalent really common? I've always wondered if that sort of thing actually happens in real life, but it's not exactly the sort of thing I can go around asking people.

KIZNAIVER 11 & 12 [END]

Oh and the OP is great. Or maybe it was just the song.

No, the visuals were excellent as well. A really, unique, well thought out package. Lots of good OPs this year.

Jintor

Actually given the Japanese sense of humor and my general experiences of onsen i would be surprised if there wasn't a bunch of dick size shittalking when groups of guys go to onsen

Probably no touching though unless you're in one of them special bathhouses

Actually given the Japanese sense of humor and my general experiences of onsen i would be surprised if there wasn't a bunch of dick size shittalking when groups of guys go to onsen

Probably no touching though unless you're in one of them special bathhouses

the japanese equivalent of "my dick on the double feature screen, yo dick straight to dvd"?

Jarmel

Banned
So I kinda just want to clarify this since I've been briefly talking about this with hosanna on Twitter. If you watch or plan on watching Fafner Exodus, please watch the extended version of the first episode. It is not on Crunchyroll's site, nor do I think you can stream it. It is only this episode but it fleshes out the UN forces side of the Hawaii battle which is a bit truncated in the TV broadcast version. The reason I'm advocating this is not just because there's bigger battles but a lot of character introductions are cut/reduced which is important as the audience has a better grasp on the UN forces characters, who are a critical part of the season. It also deepens the atmosphere a bit in how horrid this war is for humans when they don't have a Fafner unit, which again comes into play later. It's not absolutely crucial to see the extended episode but it really helps explain and justify some mentalities later. I rewatched the broadcast version just now and the opening battle is a lot 'cleaner' than the extended which has people shooting down comrades and it depicts how nightmarishly bad these battles are.

Mishiranu hito no koto : End

y3KpCjQ.jpg

Out of all of the anime I've seen this season, this is the most visually stunning. The animation was so top notch it almost looked real. Props to the Duffer brothers, their work as co-animating directors alongside Studio Netoflickso has made what is beyond a doubt the most life like anime I've ever seen. The main 4 VAs really brought the kids to life. From the start where they're playing DnD to the chubby kid with the lisp, this is like the Goonies meets Akira. This is our time, our time Tetsuoooooooooooooo. The rest of the cast were fantastic too. Winona Rider may have been overacting here and there imho, but she did a solid job in some of the more emotional scenes. The soundtrack, like most anime based on the 80s in America (those are numerous), really did hit the spot for that electro synthwave that was just mmm mmm delicioso.

The mysteries and some of the more fantastical elements really hit the spot. You can really see why the creators struggled to get a network to fund this anime, but luckily Studio Netoflickso took a chance and what we have now is aiming to become one of the top shows of the year. Heck, probably another gateway show to get your friends into anime.

Mishiranu hito no koto (or as the normies call it Stranger Things) gets a 9/10.

So I kinda just want to clarify this since I've been briefly talking about this with hosanna on Twitter. If you watch or plan on watching Fafner Exodus, please watch the extended version of the first episode. It is not on Crunchyroll's site, nor do I think you can stream it. It is only this episode but it fleshes out the UN forces side of the Hawaii battle which is a bit truncated in the TV broadcast version. The reason I'm advocating this is not just because there's bigger battles but a lot of character introductions are cut/reduced which is important side the audience has a better grasp on the UN forces characters, who are a critical part of the season. It also deepens the atmosphere a bit in how horrid this war is for humans when they don't have a Fafner unit, which again comes into play later. It's not absolutely crucial to see the extended episode but it really helps explain and justify some mentalities later. I rewatched the broadcast version just now and the opening battle is a lot 'cleaner' than the extended which has people shooting down comrades and it depicts how nightmarishly bad these battles are.

Very much agree with this. I thought the entire situation of how events in the Hawaii battle went from bad to worse, then from worse to absolute hell, served really well at justifying a lot of the later actions and events regarding the NUN. The additional scenes given to many of the NUN characters also make their entrance less abrupt in later episodes, as well as being good reasoning for their motivations towards achieving peace and hope.

Also, some of the cut slice-of-life scenes were amazing.

Cornbread78

Wolf's Rain ep. 1-2
Is this a mix of a post apocolyptic society with transforming wolf people? There is a lot to learn about what exactly is going on. Either way, interesting concept and characters that have been introduced so far.

Very much agree with this. I thought the entire situation of how events in the Hawaii battle went from bad to worse, then from worse to absolute hell, served really well at justifying a lot of the later actions and events regarding the NUN. The additional scenes given to many of the NUN characters also make their entrance less abrupt in later episodes, as well as being good reasoning for their motivations towards achieving peace and hope.

Also, some of the cut slice-of-life scenes were amazing.

Ha ha, that's great. It reminds me of the scene in the original Fafner where Soshi is showing Kazuki his room.

No, the visuals were excellent as well. A really, unique, well thought out package. Lots of good OPs this year.

The only thing I was able to say with absolute certainty about the OP is that I liked it and it's song. Upon further reflection, I really do like quite a bit the visuals during the OP. It fit together well with the song.

The only thing I was able to say with absolute certainty about the OP is that I liked it and it's song. Upon further reflection, I really do like quite a bit the visuals during the OP. It fit together well with the song.

The trance track alone is fantastic, but the visuals for it truly make it a great OP.

Kiznaiver definitely has one of the more interesting OPs I've seen.

The song is up there with Kino's Journey's or Mushishi's OP when it comes to soothing, relaxing, anime OPs.

What are the best openings of the season?

Mob Psycho's opening is probably the most visually dynamic opening of the season, but I enjoy the gorgeous opening of Twin Star Exorcists a bit more. The latest Jojo opening is also pretty good. I'm not watching them, but I hear the openings to both Danganronpa anime are also well done.

From this season I can't say there is anything outstanding in terms of OPs for me. Maybe Mob Psycho or Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc.

91 Days has a great song, but the editing of the visuals is a mess.

What are the best openings of the season?

Mob Psycho's opening is probably the most visually dynamic opening of the season, but I enjoy the gorgeous opening of Twin Star Exorcists a bit more. The latest Jojo opening is also pretty good. I'm not watching them, but I hear the openings to both Danganronpa anime are also well done.

Mob Psycho 100's is easily the best opening of the season. It's the most fascinatingly creative OP I've seen since Garo the Animation OP 1. Besides that, Diamond is Unbreakable OP 2 and the Battery OP are also quite good. Yamashita's Twin Star Exorcist OP 2 is nice as well. I think that's all the notable OPs from currently airing anime. 91 Days has good music for its OP, but the visuals are poor.

I don't think either Danganronpa OP is particularly interesting.

There aren't very many good OPs this season. The only OPs this season that I think are decent are Food Wars and maybe Sweetness & Lightning. Even then I am not that big on Sweetness & Lightnings OP.

Mob Psycho 100's is easily the best opening of the season. It's the most fascinatingly creative OP I've seen since Garo the Animation OP 1. Besides that, Diamond is Unbreakable OP 2 and the Battery OP are also quite good. Yamashita's Twin Star Exorcist OP 2 is nice as well. I think that's all the notable OPs from currently airing anime. 91 Days has good music for its OP, but the visuals are poor.

I don't think either Danganronpa OP is particularly interesting.

Mob Psycho's ED is a true treasure as well. Can't say I have ever been fortunate enough to see paint-on-glass animation until this show came around aha. The amount of love and care, and heck, FUN that they are having with this anime shows.

I absolutely LOVE Danganronpa's Despair Arc OP. Both the music and the design. I love the pastels and the low key beats.

On another note, I hereby quit Sword Art Online. Maybe someday I'll punish myself further, but I see no reason to continue past ep 15. At its best it was mediocre, at worst it was definitely stomach churning and mind blowingly stupid.

Magi Ep 1

So I moved onto a show where a little boy motorboats a fat man and multiple women several times in the first episode. I sure know how to pick em.

On a good note I enjoyed the setup of "dungeons" and the fight with the desert plant. I also enjoy the giant flute djinn.

I picked this because I want a fantasy/shonen about treasure hunting. Anyone think this will be good? Any better recommendations?

I absolutely LOVE Danganronpa's Despair Arc OP. Both the music and the design. I love the pastels and the low key beats.

On another note, I hereby quit Sword Art Online. Maybe someday I'll punish myself further, but I see no reason to continue past ep 15. At its best it was mediocre, at worst it was definitely stomach churning and mind blowingly stupid.

Magi Ep 1

So I moved onto a show where a little boy motorboats a fat man and multiple women several times in the first episode. I sure know how to pick em.

On a good note I enjoyed the setup of "dungeons" and the fight with the desert plant. I also enjoy the giant flute djinn.

I picked this because I want a fantasy/shonen about treasure hunting. Anyone think this will be good? Any better recommendations?

Magi is FANTASTIC, it only gets better as it gets rolling. Alibaba and Alladin are great. Season 2 is even better :)

Magi is FANTASTIC, it only gets better as it gets rolling. Alibaba and Alladin are great. Season 2 is even better :)

Magi Ep 1

Magi is awesome! Alibaba and crew are a really fun bunch. Great choice.

Narag

Magi Ep 1

Show was kinda middling at first in the 18 or so eps I watched but I recall liking it more as it went along. Sinbad's a bro and please be on the lookout for Mor's dance further in so you can hunt down the broadcast version where the inbetweens failed to arrive on time and the showrunners apologized on twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom