• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magi is FANTASTIC, it only gets better as it gets rolling. Alibaba and Alladin are great. Season 2 is even better :)

Magi is awesome! Alibaba and crew are a really fun bunch. Great choice.

Show was kinda middling at first in the 18 or so eps I watched but I recall liking it more as it went along. Sinbad's a bro and please be on the lookout for Mor's dance further in so you can hunt down the broadcast version where the inbetweens failed to arrive on time and the showrunners apologized on twitter.

Good to hear I made a good choice!

Magi ep 2

I'm in the mood for traps and puzzles and monsters, so this is a simple whetting of my appetite. I also like how Lord Stabby McDouche just cuts Alibaba and his slaves randomly as a sort of punctuation of his sentences. That Mask slave sure has some Kirito level HP after the Lord just stabs him in the gut a handful of times and then in the back for good measure later on and bro takes it like a champ. Hopefully he gets some unchained revenge eventually.

Kenstar

When is best slasher Elsa coming back to Re:Zero
They kept her ass alive for some reason i hope

Also the short girl who could run fast in one iteration of the elsa fight
Why does that Duke talk in that annoying manner

Also these toonami ads for One Punch Man are blowing their load waay too soon, they showed the best cuts of saitama vs sidekick robot including his Final Flash Ripoff all in 10 seconds

Basically anime is shit and Bojack S3 was pretty good

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
What are the best openings of the season?

Mob Psycho's opening is probably the most visually dynamic opening of the season, but I enjoy the gorgeous opening of Twin Star Exorcists a bit more. The latest Jojo opening is also pretty good. I'm not watching them, but I hear the openings to both Danganronpa anime are also well done.

Mob psycho

Danganronpa opening is good (especially the sespair side), but the visual is lacking when compared to mob psycho.

Magi Ep 1

So I moved onto a show where a little boy motorboats a fat man and multiple women several times in the first episode. I sure know how to pick em.

On a good note I enjoyed the setup of "dungeons" and the fight with the desert plant. I also enjoy the giant flute djinn.

I picked this because I want a fantasy/shonen about treasure hunting. Anyone think this will be good? Any better recommendations?

Magi is one of my Favorite Shounen and one of the best since FMA. It doesn't have the same animation quality but its got an imaginative setting that is well executed with great emotional beats. It's a damn solid show and I want a season 3 pretty badly.

zulux21

Really wonder if they will attempt to do all 9 volumes of Alicization in a anime third season.

if they do I imagine it would be a split cour as given the pacing of previous seasons they would nee what 45 episodes or so to do the whole arc.

which leads you likely needing 3 split seasons if they cut it down a bit to 39 eps or 4 if they do 11 episode cours, or even maybe extend it a bit to 12 per to make it 48.

though I suppose they could just go for a big year release, but it seems like a better plan to have the next arc take 2 years to adapt so the newly announced arc has time to release so the wait for season 4 isn't super long.

Quasar

How many episodes is that going to fit in?

Given the first two double-cour seasons used up 8 volumes and Alicization took 10 volumes you'd think they'd need 4 cours. Which to me seems like too big an ask for anime in todays market, unless its super cheap looking.

zulux21

Given the first two double-cour seasons used up 8 volumes and Alicization took 10 volumes you'd think they'd need 4 cours. Which to me seems like too big an ask for anime in todays market, unless its super cheap looking.

to be fair it can be done, especially for a series that would be guaranteed to print money. it just likely wouldn't be the best choice to do if you want to continue making series.

I don't know how the arc goes, but if there is a decentish stopping point in the middle I could even see them doing the following.

two split cour seasons starting lets say fall 2017 and spring 2018.

then in fall 2018, and spring 2019 two movies recapping them because for some reason the japanese people go see those.

in fall 2019 and spring 2020 we get the other half of the series done in two more split cour seasons, and then fall 2020 and spring 2021 we get two more movies covering the arcs again. By fall 2021 then it will have been 4 years since the writer started the new arc which would let them likely continue making a TV series for it.

one way or another though I fully expect to see the arc animated given the popularity of sword art online. and I am looking forward to it as a SAO fan :p

Mailbox

Handa-kun 3-5

:/ It was okay. A few laughs

Honestly, its really just a skit show where each skit is either 1/3 of an episode or half an episode. Its jokes sometimes hit, but more often than not its kinda boring (though I suspect that has more to do with the side cast than anything).

While watching this, I couldn't help but think: "I could be watching Daily Lives of Highschool Boys for the 3rd time instead of watching this right now..."

Line_HTX

New Game! 06

Aoba should've taken Ko's advice so she wouldn't lock herself in the meeting room and oversleep.

Also, I always gotta have coffee.

zulux21

I'd prefer it if they took a break from the main series and just worked on Progressive for a bit, mainly because that's the only part of the story that I like lol, but also because that shit will go on forever if he really intends to do one floor per volume and one volume a year.

I imagine that he has a lot of other ideas while working on progressive. so logically he ends up using what he can but has to use some other ideas elsewhere.

Danganronpa 1 Chapter 2 Finished

Rip
Josuke.

Byakuya's actions this chapter seem contradictory unto themselves.
"Heh, I messed with the crime scene for the luls, but also to find out who could be my main opponent, even though doing nothing would ultimately reveal the same thing. I also helped my main opponent investigate before I knew he was my main opponent. I'm a genius."

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yakuza 5
This is new high/low in tailing mission. Imagine you're tailing someone using a car and you must follow traffic signal while you're at it. And its randomized... thx god it is short and there's only one mission.

The good
On the other hand, there's also a racing segment with eurobeat as bgm. All is right with the world.then i spent time playing virtua fighter 2, karaoke, making ramen, and dating hostess. Yup, this game is damn great

blurr

Danganronpa 1 Chapter 2 Finished

Rip
Josuke.

Byakuya's actions this chapter seem contradictory unto themselves.
"Heh, I messed with the crime scene for the luls, but also to find out who could be my main opponent, even though doing nothing would ultimately reveal the same thing. I also helped my main opponent investigate before I knew he was my main opponent. I'm a genius."

this was the best case in the first game tbh -
in terms of the killer's motivations and how deceptive it was

ibyea

Banned
Danganronpa 3 - Future: 5
They managed to make Seiko my favorite character of the new cast. Furthermore with her character there is payoff in watching the despair side of the show. I am impressed, Danganronpa anime is so far better than I have anticipated. As for Ruruka, aayyyy. Imagine, say, you are the best at making peanut butter. Furthermore you are best friend with a buddy. But your buddy won't eat your peanut butter jelly sandwich you made for them because they are allergic to peanut. That person could literally die from anaphylactic shock. But you keep trying to feed them your peanut butter. They tell you they can't because they would of course die from eating it. But you keep insisting. And each time your buddy rejects your offer, you get increasingly pissed off at them even though they would die from eating your peanut butter. How dare they not eat your peanut butter even though they could die from it! If that person were your actually your best friend they would eat the peanut butter anyways! Until finally your fragile, shit ego can't take it anymore and decide they are not your friend anymore. Yeah, that's what happened.

Unforunately
life was simply unfair and Seiko died. :(

The second development of the story happened with the Chairman and Munakata. I got to say, that explains that one weird mannerism the Chairman had, and it was pretty clever way a few reliable information about the situation.
RIP Chairman, he was another really awesome character and he will be missed.

New Game! 06

Kou has a huge ass because she lives such an incredibly unhealthy lifestyle. Also fuck sleeping over night at work, that'd be the best way to convince me jump out the nearest window.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
New Game 6
Hahaha, to be young and new. Taking both overtime and day off? Oh Aoba....
I'd rather take day off than overtime to be honest. I usually only take half shift during day off. I got some money and i could use it to watch movie, eat in a good restaurant, or stock my snack..

Best place to sleep during overtime, sofa, but that one is really popular so if i don't get it, i sleep in the meeting room floor or line up 2 or 3 chair and sleep there.

Cornbread78

Guess its too much to hope its setup for a second season.

Unrelated I was happy to hear news of a new Strike the Blood OVA series (8 episodes in 2 episode blocks). Hopefully better than the last OVA.

Nice, I'll take it Senpai.

it has been confirmed that sword art online will continue making new novels next year (it was unclear since the last novel adapted all that was previously released online)

Can't wait for S3/4 of SAO. I've heard they remove a lot of the fantasy elements from it and it turns mostly sci-fi, with only a couple of the characters staying constants.. Any truth to that one?

Eumi

Can't wait for S3/4 of SAO. I've heard they remove a lot of the fantasy elements from it and it turns mostly sci-fi, with only a couple of the characters staying constants.. Any truth to that one?
That could be pretty good. I've been thinking of actually watching S2 since I've heard good things about the second half. I'm still convinced there's a good story in there to be told.

What are the best openings of the season?

Mob Psycho's opening is probably the most visually dynamic opening of the season, but I enjoy the gorgeous opening of Twin Star Exorcists a bit more. The latest Jojo opening is also pretty good. I'm not watching them, but I hear the openings to both Danganronpa anime are also well done.

Not really that many good ops

Uverworlds for Puzzle & Dragons Cross is my fav, followed by Wale We Up from Howl Be Quiet for Days. Saiki Kusuo is catchy but the full version is not that great.

Huh, wha?

Twin Star Exorcists' is great. Tales of Zestiria's i really good too.

I prefer Zestiria OP used last week over Flows song.

Szadek

That could be pretty good. I've been thinking of actually watching S2 since I've heard good things about the second half. I'm still convinced there's a good story in there to be told.
Juts skip to the Mother's Rosario arc, you aren't missing anything of value.
The arc is alright and Kirito is barely in it, but every scene with him pure toxic waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom