• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really that many good ops

Uverworlds for Puzzle & Dragons Cross is my fav, followed by Wale We Up from Howl Be Quiet for Days.
For just the song I agree that PuzzlexDragon is pretty good, but I find the visuals quite underwhelming. But I agree for DAYS, did not skip it once yet.

Oh shit! I'm at the top of the page! Ok hummm

You people go watch My Hero Academia! It's one of the best shonen ever! PLUS ULTRA!

Jintor

New Game 5

you know what, I think I just like this show. whatever, it's not shirobako, but I think i've finally come to terms with it. everyone's cute and this episode in particular had less 'childish' gags in it. still a fucktonne of yuribait though.

Also the music during the AC Wars was fucking dope as shit. Dunno why this show has oddly nice production values but I'll take it.

Erigu

Mishiranu hito no koto : End
y3KpCjQ.jpg

[...]
The mysteries
Does it still count as a "mystery" when you're told everything in the first episode?

JulianImp

I ended up watching DR3 since I realized I didn't care about being spoiled on games after the first, and it really felt like it was more fanservice to series fans than a show that could actually stand on its own, sadly.

It's kind of funny and sad how the bad guys look like they've got students that are pretty similar to the first games' Sakura, Mondo, Sayaka and Chihiro at the very least, which is quite underwhelming, and the fact that the despair part happens in the past means everything's doomed by canon, all while the journey to see how they all turned evil is apparently going to be answered with "they met Enojima" (except for the white haired guy, who's pretty evil right from the start). The knowledge that they will join Enojima later means that seeing Yukizono try to defend them feels tragic in a bad way... "this guy might've planned sabotaging and bombing, but if that's the case then that's more of a reason to keep him around! Oh, and let's expel the three second-year students while we're at it" was downright ridiculous, especially with how the blacksmith guy hadn't done a single thing wrong; maybe he could've dropped out to be with Ruruka, but being expelled because she and Seiko did ludicrously bad things that were later found out to be the work of a completely unrelated third party was weird as hell.

The whole Ruruka/Seiko thing is also weird as hell, since Ruruka appears to be an entirely self-centered girl who kept asking Seiko for favors that benefitted her "for the sake of their friendship", and the downright retarded balance of "you don't eat my sweets even though you have given me an entirely reasonable reason for not doing so... I hate you!". I was cringing really badly when I saw the whole laxative incident scene, since it was already painfully obvious that Ruruko was egotistical and didn't care about Seiko at all, so having her go on a rant about not being friends instead of trusting her words about it being a mix-up was a real pain. I actually expected Ruruko to be an agent of despair because of that, since with that ridiculously childish attitude of hers I'd rather not have her around a team of people fighting for good at all.

The plot so far has been little more than a retread of DR1's style, only littered with shoutouts to the games, and in-jokes aren't really selling me on the show at all since I care more about an interesting plot than just retreading DR1 and dropping lines about the guy going to scout Celeste and other fanservice I see as secondary to a decent plot that's just not there, neither in the despair nor future arcs so far.

Tuck

I absolutely LOVE Danganronpa's Despair Arc OP. Both the music and the design. I love the pastels and the low key beats.

On another note, I hereby quit Sword Art Online. Maybe someday I'll punish myself further, but I see no reason to continue past ep 15. At its best it was mediocre, at worst it was definitely stomach churning and mind blowingly stupid.

Magi Ep 1

So I moved onto a show where a little boy motorboats a fat man and multiple women several times in the first episode. I sure know how to pick em.

On a good note I enjoyed the setup of "dungeons" and the fight with the desert plant. I also enjoy the giant flute djinn.

I picked this because I want a fantasy/shonen about treasure hunting. Anyone think this will be good? Any better recommendations?

I really, really liked Magi. Though I found the pacing at the start was way too rushed, but it does slow down. Season 2 was great.

Magi is one of my Favorite Shounen and one of the best since FMA. It doesn't have the same animation quality but its got an imaginative setting that is well executed with great emotional beats. It's a damn solid show and I want a season 3 pretty badly.

I thought season 3 of this was on Netflix? Or is that something else?

JulianImp

I wish I had time to play the first two DR games because I really want to watch this...

:T

I honestly didn't care about not having played DR2 or the game that comes after it before watching this, and it kind of felt like the show was still trying to appeal to me with DR1 references, which led me to think the anime series might lean a bit too much on fanservice and winks to the games while not doing enough on its own. As it stands, the future series looks like a minor edit of DR1, and the despair series is all about coming to a foregone conclussion since the future part makes it obvious what's going to happen to the characters, and the journey to see how they got there hasn't been appealing so far either, sadly.

Line_HTX

I honestly didn't care about not having played DR2 or the game that comes after it before watching this, and it kind of felt like the show was still trying to appeal to me with DR1 references, which led me to think the anime series might lean a bit too much on fanservice and winks to the games while not doing enough on its own. As it stands, the future series looks like a minor edit of DR1, and the despair series is all about coming to a foregone conclussion since the future part makes it obvious what's going to happen to the characters, and the journey to see how they got there hasn't been appealing so far either, sadly.

I know it's for the fans of the games, but is it really essential to watch this connect the events in a meaningful journey manner and not like a Cliff's Notes version of the 1st anime?

I know it's for the fans of the games, but is it really essential to watch this connect the events in a meaningful journey manner and not like a Cliff's Notes version of the 1st anime?

Of course. It is vital to play the first and second games (and to an extent the spin-off) to fully enjoy the anime. It is meant to be a conclusion to the story of hope peak academy.

Danganronpa V3 (the new game) is supposed to be a reboot of sorts.

Also, the anime adaptation of the first game sucks.

JulianImp

Of course. It is vital to play the first and second games (and to an extent the spin-off) to fully enjoy the anime. It is meant to be a conclusion to the story of hope peak academy.

Danganronpa V3 (the new game) is supposed to be a reboot of sorts.

Also, the anime adaptation of the first game sucks.

Yeah, so far it looks like it's mostly fanservice for those already into the series, with little to keep others interested in it. At the very least, they want you to be fully aware of what happened in the first game, as the show hasn't even bothered to explain that and has characters constantly refer to past events implicitly.

It does look pretty stale that the current monokuma game is about Naegi, Kirigri and Asahina yet again being trapped in a school as part of a killing game, only this time the participants are more eager about fighting and killing each other even though the game rules have them win if nobody dies (but of course Seiko and Ruruka get into their own little battle to the death because who cares about hope and surviving, anyway?), and the mastermind has also been exposed to the audience really soon compared to DR1.

It's like it's trying to be Fate/Zero with its older cast and bigger focus on politics and edginess, but it's so busy calling out previous games' stuff that it's doing little to nothing outside of that.

Yeah, so far it looks like it's mostly fanservice for those already into the series, with little to keep others interested in it. At the very least, they want you to be fully aware of what happened in the first game, as the show hasn't even bothered to explain that and has characters constantly refer to past events implicitly.

It does look pretty stale that the current monokuma game is about Naegi, Kirigri and Asahina yet again being trapped in a school as part of a killing game, only this time the participants are more eager about fighting and killing each other even though the game rules have them win if nobody dies and the mastermind has been exposed to the audience really soon.

It's like it's trying to be Fate/Zero with its older cast and bigger focus on politics and edginess, but it's so busy calling out previous games' stuff that it's doing little to nothing outside of that.

Nope, you have to be aware of the second game because the events of the anime are a consequence of what happened in the second game.

Nobody thinks that character is the real mastermind because it was revealed early.

Also its recalling previous event to provide some background to the new characters in Future arc and to elucidate some important events not explained in the games. Pretty sure its leading to a payoff where the two arcs will eventually meet up.

D.Gray-Man Hallow 6

The story about the second exorcists is always so sad and it really show how desperate the Black Order is, but I still hate them so much for what they did to poor Alma and Yu. Also watching it has an anime helps me get some things I missed while reading the manga.

Cheer boys 2 dub

I'm really liking the way characters are developped in this series. Seeing Haru gradually getting to be less embarrased doing cheer leading and the dynamic between the main characters kinda makes me happy. Does are the kind of shows I really like.

I am also big fan of the characters design, mainly Haru and Kazu. The animation quality that some seemed to be complaining about is not so apparent to me right now, so I suppose that it is not something that will be bothering me.

The dub is also really good. Great anime so far.

Puzzle & Dragon X 4 dub

What I really like about this show is that it reminds me of the show I watched when I was younger like beyblade and it is also one of the few kid show that seem not use annoying CGI. I really liked Brave beats for exemple, but those CGI moments kinda ruined the show for me. Overall this episode was quite fun and Ace finding out the yellow hair kid was a boy gave me a good laugh.

blurr

The whole Ruruka/Seiko thing is also weird as hell, since Ruruka appears to be an entirely self-centered girl who kept asking Seiko for favors that benefitted her "for the sake of their friendship", and the downright retarded balance of "you don't eat my sweets even though you have given me an entirely reasonable reason for not doing so... I hate you!". I was cringing really badly when I saw the whole laxative incident scene, since it was already painfully obvious that Ruruko was egotistical and didn't care about Seiko at all, so having her go on a rant about not being friends instead of trusting her words about it being a mix-up was a real pain. I actually expected Ruruko to be an agent of despair because of that, since with that ridiculously childish attitude of hers I'd rather not have her around a team of people fighting for good at all.

The plot so far has been little more than a retread of DR1's style, only littered with shoutouts to the games, and in-jokes aren't really selling me on the show at all since I care more about an interesting plot than just retreading DR1 and dropping lines about the guy going to scout Celeste and other fanservice I see as secondary to a decent plot that's just not there, neither in the despair nor future arcs so far.

Despair arc is just awfully executed but I really like that it is trying to deliver some exposition to their back stories in parallel to the Ending (Future arc) especially considering we know little about how they turned into agents of despair.

I personally find the Ruruka/Seiko "relationship" interesting in the sense that there is much to draw from it on their personalities albeit it is mostly owing to my own analysis than the show hinting on it. Ruruka has a sense of hostility in the guise of friendship towards Seiko since she is the only person who wouldn't eat her cookies - sounds silly but it's not entirely ridiculous considering Ruruka is proud of her confectionary skills and knowing someone won't so much as try it would make her restless. Her hostility is apparent when she openly accuses her at the first sign of betrayal without considering there might have been a misunderstanding. She herself picked the medicine in the first place.

I like that the Future foundation members aren't really a perfectly organised and co-operative group of individuals and considering people like them are from the prestigious "hope's peak academy" it was only a matter of time that someone along the lines of Enoshima would've appeared and wreaked a havoc.

Szadek

Monster - Ep. 1-5
I didn't plan on watching this many episodes so quickly, but I guess that speaks for the quality of the show.
It certainly doesn't waste anytime. The main character already went through his first arc and is now at the beginning the second.

e_i

I imagine the Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? OVA will be Bell going on dates with all the girls in his harem.

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists #18
Cute preparation for battle episode, although the Hinatsuki tragedy keeps being tragic.
Next episode should be awesome.

Macross Delta #19

That merchant dude is fucking annoying, please die already. Otherwise, infodump episode with lots of pointing to the older entries. ...I'll need to continue my watch of the original Macross sometime.

Illya #6

Darius is an asshole. And a complete nutjob. But also freaking OP.

Puzzle & Dragon X 4 dub

What I really like about this show is that it reminds me of the show I watched when I was younger like beyblade and it is also one of the few kid show that seem not use annoying CGI. I really liked Brave beats for exemple, but those CGI moments kinda ruined the show for me. Overall this episode was quite fun and Ace finding out the yellow hair kid was a boy gave me a good laugh.

I didnt think people actually thought Choro was a girl, I was shocked by that in both the JPn and the eng version (though I tink the dub he is played by a fem VA, which Im glad they avoided for Ace and Lance).

I love watching this twice a weak its so fun.

blurr

Mob Psycho 100 05

That really blew up but much of it was what I was expected. What I was surprised to see was the amount of character depth when Mob pointed out that Hanazawa is just like him and the events after that.

We now know of an abnormality residing within Mob which arises once provoked, wonder what that is.

I didnt think people actually thought Choro was a girl, I was shocked by that in both the JPn and the eng version (though I tink the dub he is played by a fem VA, which Im glad they avoided for Ace and Lance).

I love watching this twice a weak its so fun.
I'll be honest I was not sure at all even though I was more inclined on him being a boy.

Puzzle & Dragon is one my funimation show that I just watch dub. I really like their broadcast dub program since I always enjoy my show more dubbed. It also gives me a good reason to watch some of my favourites a second time.

But yea I agree it's really fun.

blurr

New Game 06

Wow, this was a very cool episode with lots of hilarious moments owing to great reaction faces some very well executed jokes.

It was hilarious when Aoba finds out she had been designing a character that's more or less a replica of her.

Aoba changing was really well animated and it was quite a sight to behold :p probably one of the more stand out moments of the episode.

This is becoming a very sweet little show.

phaze

Psycho-Pass 12

Electing to spend an entire backstory episode on the character that, so far, managed to utter like 7 lines of dialogue and is easily the least important of the crew, one the viewer barely knows at this point, strikes me as a weird choice.

Danganronpa 1 Chapter 2 Finished

Rip
Josuke.

Byakuya's actions this chapter seem contradictory unto themselves.
"Heh, I messed with the crime scene for the luls, but also to find out who could be my main opponent, even though doing nothing would ultimately reveal the same thing. I also helped my main opponent investigate before I knew he was my main opponent. I'm a genius."

Byakuya is a cunt and also kind of a sociopath

I ended up watching DR3 since I realized I didn't care about being spoiled on games after the first, and it really felt like it was more fanservice to series fans than a show that could actually stand on its own, sadly.

There is zero point to watching DR3 if you didn't play DR2. None. Zilch.

I can't see why one would need to watch the DR3s without playing the games yeah. I mean none of the two shows are particularly unremarkable if you have 0 attachment to these characters from the beginning. They are a good watch for fans of the games to see their favourite characters one last time, and the conclusion to the overarching plot. They aren't really re-introduced for you, so you will simply be lost. You will come in, go "wtf is this man doing wearing a horse head" and just not go along with whatever else is wacky about the show, and trust me there is a lot. The games set a certain weird tone that the players are already accustomed to and the show uses those to full strength. Cheesy lines, wacky character designs and traits are all a part of what makes Danganronpa... Well, Danganronpa.

That being said, tastes are subjective so maybe one could like the shows without the background knowledge and affection for characters, but I highly doubt it.

Why would they make an anime to only appeal to players of the game and air it on national tv, that seems like a bad financial decision though, unless Danganronpa has sold multimillions in JPN which I doubt it has.

Why would they make an anime to only appeal to players of the game and air it on national tv, that seems like a bad financial decision though, unless Danganronpa has sold multimillions in JPN which I doubt it has.
That was the question on everyone's mind, but people have asked this for months now lol. No idea. Danganronpa V3 is the game that they announced alongside the animes, however it's a brand new arc with totally new characters. It was a bizarre choice, but I guess it's working out ok since everyone I know that played the games is also watching the animes.

2-5 in Danganronpa 2 is the best trial in the series. Its on par with 2-4 in Ace Attorney.

Because if you make it for dedicated fans, you're going to get their attention. This way the Hope's Peak plotline can get wrapped up while V3 is being made.

TraBuch

Banned
What was the name of that anime that came out a few years ago where a girl wants to confess her crush on a guy but the guy mistakes her confession for her asking for his autograph because he's kinda secretly a manga romance writer?

Watched a few episodes and liked it and meant to watch the rest but never did.

What was the name of that anime that came out a few years ago where a girl wants to confess her crush on a guy but the guy mistakes her confession for her asking for his autograph because he's kinda secretly a manga romance writer?

Watched a few episodes and liked it and meant to watch the rest but never did.

Thats Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun

BluWacky

The audience for late night anime is not millions of people. If 1% of the possible TV viewing audience is watching, which is pretty much all you get on late night TV, that's at most about 1.2 million people.

Danganronpa probably hasn't even sold that many copies across all the games in the series - I don't know - but if the anime drives more sales of the franchise then that's the whole point of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom