• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is going to be a 10 year Code Geass Anniversary Event

lelouch_laughing_by_rikuloquendo-d33snfw.jpg

Official reveal that Lelouch is the cart driver BELIEVE.

Magi 3-4

Solid episodes. I find a character like Aladdin could easily become grating or annoying to me, but so far they've walked the line well. He is earnest without being cloying at this point.

That episode 4 end though! Excellent twist!

Line_HTX

I never did anything special for any anime, but for some reason I felt the need to order Pizza Hut on the day of the R2 finale on that late September Sunday. Watched the NFL first and then the episode, lmao

I still somewhat believe (?) Though even if it weren't true, I'd be OK with it.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.18
LEHeON9.png

Purely a set-up episode for next week, but at least these two keep growing together both mentally and physically. They have both been put through hell and the story does a great job presenting their pasts and their motivations for what is happening. Next Wednesday cannot come soon enough, as it's time to go kick some real a$$ as seen by the smug looks on their faces.... Go get that ba$tard you too, go get him. Kill first cry later!

Sölf

What are the best openings of the season?

Mob Psycho's opening is probably the most visually dynamic opening of the season, but I enjoy the gorgeous opening of Twin Star Exorcists a bit more. The latest Jojo opening is also pretty good. I'm not watching them, but I hear the openings to both Danganronpa anime are also well done.

For me it's 91 Days, easy. I love that, the song is great and somehow even fits with the Mafia and revenge setting.

Man.... DR3 really is something. Saw two episodes of Future Arc and two episodes of Despair arc. Future definitely feels like Dangaronpa 3 as shit starts going down without nonsense.

Despair though... does it get any better 4 episodes in, or is it just an influx of fanservice with plot-points that feel contrived just to felicitate more fanservice? Not trying to rain on anyone's parade that's enjoying it (more power to them), but it was honestly feeling really dumb. It doesn't even seem like it's tying into Future arc all that much. Just kinda comes across like the posterchild of the bad aspects of anime. Maybe it'll pull some grand-scheme bait and switch though. I hope.

Man.... DR3 really is something. Saw two episodes of Future Arc and two episodes of Despair arc. Future definitely feels like Dangaronpa 3 as shit starts going down without nonsense.

Despair though... does it get any better 4 episodes in, or is it just an influx of fanservice with plot-points that feel contrived just to felicitate more fanservice? Not trying to rain on anyone's parade that's enjoying it (more power to them), but it was honestly feeling really dumb. It doesn't even seem like it's tying into Future arc all that much.

We all know the point of Despair arc is to build up all this happiness so that we can be kicked in the dick by the Tragedy

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and her sis haven't even shown up yet

Eumi

Despair though... does it get any better 4 episodes in, or is it just an influx of fanservice with plot-points that feel contrived just to felicitate more fanservice? Not trying to rain on anyone's parade that's enjoying it (more power to them), but it was honestly feeling really dumb. It doesn't even seem like it's tying into Future arc all that much. Just kinda comes across like the posterchild of the bad aspects of anime. Maybe it'll pull some grand-scheme bait and switch though. I hope.
Despair seems to be 50% fanservice, 25% old but interesting plot stuff and 25% set up for future.

I kind of wonder whether or not the series would be better if it was just 24 eps of future with the necessary despair stuff being flashbacks, but so far I'm enjoying it and I expect it'll come together knowing DingleRonple.

Sölf

We all know the point of Despair arc is to build up all this happiness so that we can be kicked in the dick by the Tragedy

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and her sis haven't even shown up yet

I still need to play UDG. But I want to watch DR3. But I have to time to play it because of other games.
The struggle is real.

Eumi

Sölf;213152004 said:
I still need to play UDG. But I want to watch DR3. But I have to time to play it because of other games.
The struggle is real.
So far a plot synopsis of UDG would suffice. A lot of the stuff in that game seems to be being ignored here with just one key ending plot point showing up.

Sölf

So far a plot synopsis of UDG would suffice. A lot of the stuff in that game seems to be being ignored here with just one key ending plot point showing up.

Well, I probably also need to read DR Zero. I will just wait and hope I won't get spoiled. xD

phaze

Thunderbolt Fantasy 03 (first 5 seconds of new footage)

This cliffhanger was so bad

so bad

so bad I'm not even mad, just astounded someone had the audacity to put it in effect.

Exalted

I recently finished Stranger things and caught up with The night of, and dropped a huge chunk of this season less interesting shows, so now as a result i have nothing to watch for like half of the week.

So i've been looking at past popular shows, and am somewhat interested in Hunter x Hunter (2011), it's a show with lots of episodes, so i avoided it in the past because of than and its kids MC which i'm not fan in general, but i have time now. I'm curious how does HxH compare to something like Twin Star Exorcists? They seem like kinda similar shows. I've watched something like 10+ episodes of TSE, and while i didn't dislike it, i ended dropping it, since i didn't really found it enough exciting to watch four+ cours of it. HxH has even more episodes so i'm kinda reluctant.
What are the chances i would like HxH if i was not a fan of TSE?

phaze

I recently finished Stranger things and caught up with The night of, and dropped a huge chunk of this season less interesting shows, so now as a result i have nothing to watch for like half of the week.

So i've been looking at past popular shows, and am somewhat interested in Hunter x Hunter (2011), it's a show with lots of episodes, so i avoided it in the past because of than and its kids MC which i'm not fan in general, but i have time now. I'm curious how does HxH compare to something like Twin Star Exorcists? They seem like kinda similar shows. I've watched something like 10+ episodes of TSE, and while i didn't dislike it, i ended dropping it, since i didn't really found it enough exciting to watch four+ cours of it. HxH has even more episodes so i'm kinda reluctant.

Do you like battle shounens in general ? Then I think it's worth trying. I'm not big on it but it's pretty widely regarded as one of the best if not the best long running shounen titles

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists ep.18
LEHeON9.png

Purely a set-up episode for next week, but at least these two keep growing together both mentally and physically. They have both been put through hell and the story does a great job presenting their pasts and their motivations for what is happening. Next Wednesday cannot come soon enough, as it's time to go kick some real a$$ as seen by the smug looks on their faces.... Go get that ba$tard you too, go get him. Kill first cry later!

Those training episode are always a lot of fun. They show some new insights about how Exorcists fight and at the same time show have much they've grown closer since the beginning.
I'll never get tired of those Resonance scenes.
But that tease about the power of Rokuros new talisman sure was evil.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 03 (first 5 seconds of new footage)

This cliffhanger was so bad

so bad

so bad I'm not even mad, just astounded someone had the audacity to put it in effect.

That cliffhanger was so bad it turned around into becoming amazing.

Ha ha ha, those two series are on completely different planes of existence. I would recommend watching the 1999 Hunter X Hunter anime over the 2011 one if possible though, since it does a better job with most of the material shared between the two adaptations.

HxH is a top 3 battle shonen easy

Ascheroth

HxH is much, much better. One of my all time favorite animes.
If you like battle shonen in any capacity, you should definitely give it a try.

Do you like battle shounens in general ? Then I think it's worth trying. I'm not big on it but it's pretty widely regarded as one of the best if not the best long running shounen titles

Even that guidance can be misleading. I don't like battle shounens and love HxH!

Jarmel

Banned
Did Reiko Yoshida do the script composition for the Girls und Panzer movie? Because if so then I'm about to call her a hack fraud for this.

JulianImp

Why would they make an anime to only appeal to players of the game and air it on national tv, that seems like a bad financial decision though, unless Danganronpa has sold multimillions in JPN which I doubt it has.

This is what I found weird about the show. I was expecting the show to be more welcoming of non-hardcore followers since it was an anime adaptation, rather than some kind of reward to the biggest fans that other people just wouldn't get, which sounds more like OVA material than a full-fledged anime series.

I also went back to check the Steam store page for DR2, and that's when I remembered team despair was in it, alongside the everyday guy who just got admitted into the main course in the flashback series.

The things I know so far in regards to chronology are:
  • Seiko and company are team despair's seniors
  • The team despair people are Naegi's seniors
  • Naegi was a first year who joined after the catastrophe AFAIK, so team despair must've gone haywire before the end of their first year
  • DR2 takes place in a deserted island with team despair and the guy from the secondary school, but that doesn't really add up time-wise, which makes me think the whole island set-up might be that attempt Naegi mentioned to reform team despair or something
I'll probably play the second game eventually, so I'm not looking for answers to my theories. Just throwing them out for the amusement of those who know what's actually going on and in case I can discuss with someone who has a similar level of knowledge of the series and its lore.

Ha ha ha, those two series are on completely different planes of existence. I would recommend watching the 1999 Hunter X Hunter anime over the 2011 one if possible though, since it does a better job with most of the material shared between the two adaptations.

Isn't the 1999 hxh not complete? Since I haven't seen the 1999 version, I heard only that The Hunter Exam arc is done better on the 1999 compared to the 2011.1999 also has filler and is missing the Ant Arc.

Exalted

Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 1

Well i was not lied to. This was a great first episode, and it looks like it will be a fun ride. The MC is actually likeable, and while he is really jolly , he is much much more relatable than the MC from Twin star Exorcist, who felt like an angry brat with anxiety problems and a dark past. Also a much more serious tone than i expected, which i love, that scene and dialogue where he left his house was nice. Surprisingly nice music, didn't expect orchestra like music in this. Glad i gave it a try.

Did Reiko Yoshida do the script composition for the Girls und Panzer movie? Because if so then I'm about to call her a hack fraud for this.

I'm not a fan of the film reusing the threat of school closing from the TV series, but "hack fraud" seems a bit much.

Isn't the 1999 hxh not complete? Since I haven't seen the 1999 version, I heard only that The Hunter Exam arc is done better on the 1999 compared to the 2011.1999 also has filler and is missing the Ant Arc.

The Hunter X Hunter manga is still ongoing, albeit very slowly, so both anime adaptations are incomplete. The 1999 TV series adapted all of the manga material available at the time, up through about half the Yorkshin arc, and in the following few years some of the same staff came back to adapt the remaining Yorkshin arc and the Greed Island arc in two sets of OVAs. The 1999 series easily does a better job with the material up through the Heaven's Arena arc. In the Yorkshin arc, there are pros and cons to both anime's approaches. The Greed Island OVAs are poorly regarded, so there the 2011 anime is superior.

I'm not a fan of the film reusing the threat of school closing from the TV series, but "hack fraud" seems a bit much.

The Hunter X Hunter manga is still ongoing, albeit very slowly, so both anime adaptations are incomplete. The 1999 TV series adapted all of the manga material available at the time, up through about half the Yorkshin arc, and in the following few years some of the same staff came back to adapt the remaining Yorkshin arc and the Greed Island arc in two sets of OVAs. The 1999 series easily does a better job with the material up through the Heaven's Arena arc. In the Yorkshin arc, there are pros and cons to both anime's approaches. The Greed Island OVAs are poorly regarded, so there the 2011 anime is superior.

I still need to get 1999 version a go, just completed the 2011 a few weeks ago.

This is what I found weird about the show. I was expecting the show to be more welcoming of non-hardcore followers since it was an anime adaptation, rather than some kind of reward to the biggest fans that other people just wouldn't get, which sounds more like OVA material than a full-fledged anime series.

I also went back to check the Steam store page for DR2, and that's when I remembered team despair was in it, alongside the everyday guy who just got admitted into the main course in the flashback series.

The things I know so far in regards to chronology are:
  • Seiko and company are team despair's seniors
  • The team despair people are Naegi's seniors
  • Naegi was a first year who joined after the catastrophe AFAIK, so team despair must've gone haywire before the end of their first year
  • DR2 takes place in a deserted island with team despair and the guy from the secondary school, but that doesn't really add up time-wise, which makes me think the whole island set-up might be that attempt Naegi mentioned to reform team despair or something
I'll probably play the second game eventually, so I'm not looking for answers to my theories. Just throwing them out for the amusement of those who know what's actually going on and in case I can discuss with someone who has a similar level of knowledge of the series and its lore.

By watching the anime, from the points that I am reading although you don't seem to realize it, you effectively kinda spoiled a huge plot twist from the game. When you get to it (if you get to it) it's supposed to be something that is shocking. It won't be anymore. My post won't make sense until you get to that point, of which there is a lot to see, but yeah.

Well i was not lied to. This was a great first episode, and it looks like it will be a fun ride. The MC is actually likeable, and while he is really jolly , he is much much more relatable than the MC from Twin star Exorcist, who felt like an angry brat with anxiety problems and a dark past. Also a much more serious tone than i expected, which i love, that scene and dialogue where he left his house was nice. Surprisingly nice music, didn't expect orchestra like music in this. Glad i gave it a try.

This is my favorite anime of all time. Show is legit amazing. Every arc will bring with it different tones and characters so stick with it, even if one of them is not your cup of tea!

Jarmel

Banned

I'll expand on this later but it's a doubling down on a piece of writing that didn't even work in the TV series. Not to mention it's not even handled gracefully but rather as if Yoshida threw her hands up and said 'screw it'. It not only undermines the TV series on a fundamental level but also actively harms the film itself.

You can SMILE again !

Episode 1 is pretty weak, episodes 2-3-4 are a bit more representative of Hunter x Hunter, with traps, mind games, challenges and danger. And even then that's the first arc, which for lots of people is the weakest one.

BluWacky

Mob Psycho 100 1-5

I wasn't really feeling this until I got to episode 5, which manages to "deepen" the series emotionally enough that it engaged me more. It's partly down to me, honestly, getting a bit old for school-set superpower stories; while this isn't anywhere near as relentlessly template-adhering as My Hero Academia felt, there are elements of the dialogue and plotting (particularly Mob's self-esteem issues, which although relatable are unsurprisingly cartoonish) which aren't quite sophisticated enough for my tastes.

With that said, there are a number of supporting characters who could be worth spending some time with; Mob himself is a pleasant diversion from the norm as a lead character; and it is impeccably directed and animated.

While watching it, though, as it's been so long since I really watched any anime, I was thinking I would quite like to watch something that looks "beautiful" as opposed to "impressive". Of course the show has fantastic animation and art direction that really enlivens its action sequences and I wouldn't want to change that at all, but other than the shots very near the end of episode 5 where
Mob rebuilds the school while weeping
it doesn't lend itself to beauty.

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #26 The New Round Vernian!

We had two back to back recap episodes (24 & 25), but I liked 25 cause Roddy and Barts otp (Barts came into Roddy bed and they talked).

26 was compelling for more on those weird energy waves in their ship, I wonder if that will ever be explained by a Kukotonian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom