• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god Aijin Demi Human is the best anime I've seen. Fuck, it's the best television I've watched since breaking bad.

It's tight. Not a single moment of downtime or boredom. And visually, the thing is in your FACE. This is a show from a studio running on all cylinders. And I went in skeptical!

Anyone else love this series? Season 2 can't come soon enough.

I loved it too! the characters are great and Sato makes such a good *villain*.

I also loved how Kei? was such a selfish protagonist. It made him much more unique.

Season 2 is in fall but I am waiting for the dub, so I'm waiting for 1 more season.

I have a real bad habit of reading enthusiastic reviews like this and being unable to avoid starting a new show despite being absolutely overrun with media at the moment! Thankfully this is short, so

Ajin: Demi Human 1-2

These were an enjoyable introduction to the series. The only other anime I watch featuring a majority of CG is Berserk, and thankfully this is many steps above it in quality of animation. It's still not 100% there for me, but it looks quite good for the most part. Too early to comment on plot or characters really, but a promising start.

JulianImp

Nisekoi is a doo-doo that goes in circles.

This. Avoid it like the plague, since the whole point about it is that nobody ever gets to confess their love for somebody else (Raku -> Onodera, everybody else -> Raku), because the plot constantly gets in the way in the most obnoxious ways possible to upkeep the status quo long after it stops being funny.

What the fuck, in the Usagi Drop manga, the girl ends up marrying her adoptive dad?

Ah, so this is just like my OreImos!

...Wait, what.

I know that by watching this I've been spoiled about several things without even realizing it, but I wasn't invested enough into DR to actually feel that bad about it. I'll eventually play DR2 sometime, and then I'll breeze past a shocking realization due to knowing things ahead of time, but that probably won't be that much of an issue.

Actually, my only complaint about the anime is how much it appears to bank on die-hard fans, since to me (with only DR1 knowledge) it's just a below average show both in its action/mystery future side and slice of life/mystery despair side. Fans are probably enjoying seeing the cast and their motives explored further, but it doesn't really look like that much of a good fit for twin shows broadcast on TV because of how hostile it is to people with less than full knowledge of what happened in the two/three games that the anime expands upon.

Absolutely. The show like I said before is definitely not outstanding or anything. Strong 6/10 I'd say so far. But for people that have played the games it should be a treat, just to see where the heck the plot with these characters is going to go.

I'm personally enjoying Despair a lot more than Future, although I feel like it should be the other way around.

Cornbread78

A Certain Magical Index ep.10-12
hqdefault.jpg

Not sure how I feel about this arc, but it looks like Touma is trying to add another young girl to his harem. You know, he keeps having yo "save" these girls constantly.. This girl has had 20,000 clones of herself though, 10,000 of which have been killed off in experiments, so you can kinda understand her emotional torment. Again, bastardly adult teachers and doctors from school abusing children at tgeir will.

John Blade

Much better than Season 3 I have to say and would say it's better than season 2 in some area. Love the season so far and want to see where it will goes now in season 5. Is they an anime version like House of Cards as this will be interesting to watch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's almost nothing as tragic in anime production that the last 1/3rd of GTO was never adapted. The anime was doing so well too adapting the first two thirds and then that ending happens.

John Blade

There's almost nothing as tragic in anime production that the last 1/3rd of GTO was never adapted. The anime was doing so well too adapting the first two thirds and then that ending happens.

Yea that ending just came out of the left field without even seting it up at all and feel rush. It will be better just to end the previous scene at the school summer break as it will do full circle of the two characters and have some sort of ending.

part of the reason I tell folks to ignore the last arc entirely and just read the manga from that point.

Ajin: Demi Human 3-5

This is definitely a fun watch. There's a scene at the end of ep 4 with the heat of the sun shimmering off of the road that looks fantastic. It's an effect I've never really seen attempted in CGI or animation before, or never noticed.

And then the scene towards the end of episode 5:
Mr. Sato's attack on the hospital....outrageously cool. Chopping his own arm off and shooting himself in the head to avoid the effects of the tranqs, just to regenerate and take everybody out.
Great, great scene!

Cornbread78

Soma S2 ep.5
Proves again why Megumi is the best and Erina sucks (but hey, she loke her shoujo manga). Thanks for the cold tea. Meat girl though, she's making a strong play here, but what's with the tsundere act girl? Really good set-up episode, now I can't wait to see how it all plays out and what games senpai plays with Soma's dish..

Ajin: Demi Human 3-5

This is definitely a fun watch. There's a scene at the end of ep 4 with the heat of the sun shimmering off of the road that looks fantastic. It's an effect I've never really seen attempted in CGI or animation before, or never noticed.

And then the scene towards the end of episode 5:
Mr. Sato's attack on the hospital....outrageously cool. Chopping his own arm off and shooting himself in the head to avoid the effects of the tranqs, just to regenerate and take everybody out.
Great, great scene!
IMO Sato is the best part of the show. He is cool in so many ways!

Glad you are enjoying it! Ajin is so good.

May be starting a watch of Ghost in the Shell for the first time...

So ummm... There're quite a few movies for this, huh? Where would one start when wanting to watch GITS?

5 Centimeters per Second - Impressions

I want to do a long-form impression/review of this movie at a later date, as I feel it could benefit from some discussion. (I don't believe I've talked about the movie on here) Other than a few anime series, I don't think I've gotten more upset/frustrated feeling about an end of a movie/anime in my life. This isn't a bad thing.

This movie was successful. While at the time I didn't feel like it did, it did. It was able to pull the exact emotion it wanted from me and made be pause and think about what I had just experienced. It's been a while since I watched it. Almost a month. But every once in a while I reflect on it and remember that feeling, and I remember everything in the story that lead to its ending. Say what you will, but the movie did make its impact on me when I watched it and is still making me reflect on it.

Hopefully at a later time I can come back and go into a its story and animation. Don't know how well I'll be able to articulate the merits and faults of the movie as well as some other more seasoned viewers here, but I would like to try my hand it.

zulux21

So ummm... There're quite a few movies for this, huh? Where would one start when wanting to watch GITS?
universe one
Ghost in the shell movie one
ghost in the shell innocence

universe two
Ghost in the shell stand alone complex TV
Ghost in the shell SAC 2nd gig.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

skip
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - the laughing man
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - Individual Eleven

they are just recaps of the TV series.

Universe 3
Ghost in the shell arise (I haven't watched yet.)

Personally I find the original movie and innocense to focused on being artsy for my liking, but they are still worth a watch before the TV series (I find the TV series to be a vastly superior watch in general, but opinions will differ :p).

after that just watch the TV series in that order as 2nd gig is a sequel to the first and SSS is a sequel movie.

i have them broken in universes because they are in fact different universes of the show and don't directly related to each other.

1995 film, not the 2.0 version.

Cool. Thanks.

universe one
Ghost in the shell movie one
ghost in the shell innocence

universe two
Ghost in the shell stand alone complex TV
Ghost in the shell SAC 2nd gig.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society

skip
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - the laughing man
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - Individual Eleven

they are just recaps of the TV series.

Universe 3
Ghost in the shell arise (I haven't watched yet.)

Personally I find the original movie and innocense to focused on being artsy for my liking, but they are still worth a watch before the TV series (I find the TV series to be a vastly superior watch in general, but opinions will differ :p).

after that just watch the TV series in that order as 2nd gig is a sequel to the first and SSS is a sequel movie.

i have them broken in universes because they are in fact different universes of the show and don't directly related to each other.

Gonna be honest, you lost me at first. Hahaha.

Anyways, I think I am just doing the one movie for now. I am trying to watch things I usually wouldn't watch. I don't watch many anime movies. I think most would be surprised how little I've seen. So I am trying my hand at some of the ones I've heard good things about: 5 Centimeters per Second, Ghost in the Shell, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, The Garden of Words, etc.

zulux21

Cool. Thanks.

Gonna be honest, you lost me at first. Hahaha.

Anyways, I think I am just doing the one movie for now. I am trying to watch things I usually wouldn't watch. I don't watch many anime movies. I think most would be surprised how little I've seen. So I am trying my hand at some of the ones I've heard good things about: 5 Centimeters per Second, Ghost in the Shell, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, The Garden of Words, etc.

if you like the girl who leapt through time make sure to add both summer wars and wolf children to your list. (maybe boy and the beast as well but I haven't watched that one yet) as they are all by the same director and all great.

and if you don't like ghost in the shell, skip innocence but at some point give the TV series a watch.

or at the very least give the TV series OST a listen :p

GitS SAC opening - Inner Universe (latin and english if I recall right)
GitS Sac 2nd gig opening - Rise (don't bother watching the video, but this one is russian and english :p)

RIP origa :(
ghost in the shell SAC ending -Steve Conte - Living Inside The Shell (english)

you might know Steve Conte from some other things such as:
cowboy bebop call me call me
cowboy bebop Rain
cowboy bebop movie - diggin'
wolf's Rain Stray
Wolf's Rain - heaven's not enough

but yeah it has fun background music too.
cyberbird
Banquet Firewall

I mean GitS SAC is up there in general for my favorite OSTs.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
5 Centimeters per Second - Impressions

I want to do a long-form impression/review of this movie at a later date, as I feel it could benefit from some discussion. (I don't believe I've talked about the movie on here) Other than a few anime series, I don't think I've gotten more upset/frustrated feeling about an end of a movie/anime in my life. This isn't a bad thing.

This movie was successful. While at the time I didn't feel like it did, it did. It was able to pull the exact emotion it wanted from me and made be pause and think about what I had just experienced. It's been a while since I watched it. Almost a month. But every once in a while I reflect on it and remember that feeling, and I remember everything in the story that lead to its ending. Say what you will, but the movie did make its impact on me when I watched it and is still making me reflect on it.

Hopefully at a later time I can come back and go into a its story and animation. Don't know how well I'll be able to articulate the merits and faults of the movie as well as some other more seasoned viewers here, but I would like to try my hand it.
This movie could have been a ghibli film if they just fucking talk but its japan.

Line_HTX

Start with the 1995 film. And then move onto Stand Alone Complex and Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig. 26 episodes each.

blurr

I really loved the sense of melancholy and atmosphere in 5 centimeters per second. It's a movie I hold in good regard but not as much as some of my favorites.

zulux21

log horizon 22

we already had a romantic story line with a loli that is supposedly college age, why are we also getting one with a real loli @_@. I figured they would just continue to kind of show she has a crush on him out of respect for him, not dive head first into that crush and make it a main story point :/

hopefully this goes away quickly.

Line_HTX

Food Wars 2nd Plate 05

G1cF92a.png

Finally, some much needed screentime for Erina-sama. Miss Perfection has the best standards. Yes, she can't give Soma advice because she'd run the risk of conflict of interest, but giving him a clue on what not to do with the beef stew was good enough. I'd like to know what manga she was reading though.

Nikumi's care package was helpful indeed, lol

Mailbox

so how exactly did Nisekoi end? good? bad? alright?

The manga? The burning ships was quite nice to see.
Chitoge
won
it had the
standard timeskip stuff
you'd kinda expect from a manga like this.

Overall it wasn't what I would call a bad end. Hell, if it wasn't for the huge amounts of filler and fluff, I wouldn't even say nisekoi as a whole was bad.

But yeah, it was alright. Enough that i would want Shaft to animate the rest if they cut the filler and fluff

blurr

The manga? The burning ships was quite nice to see.
Chitoge
won
it had the
standard timeskip stuff
you'd kinda expect from a manga like this.

Overall it wasn't what I would call a bad end. Hell, if it wasn't for the huge amounts of filler and fluff, I wouldn't even say nisekoi as a whole was bad.

But yeah, it was alright. Enough that i would want Shaft to animate the rest if they cut the filler and fluff

Yea, the manga. I was quite surprised to hear it ended and on top that someone actually won haha. I also found out who won. I was just curious about how it all went.

Mailbox

Yea, the manga. I was quite surprised to hear it ended and on top that someone actually won haha. I also found out who won. I was just curious about how it all went.

The ships get cut 1 by 1 as the ending chapters progress;
Onodera
is the promised girl,
but is rejected

Thats pretty much it, minus some
timeskip
details which lasts half a chapter, and some side stuff that gets resolved the way you expect.

I gotta say I agree with Jarmel almost word for word with his impressions on the GuP movie.

GuP had the same story problem that Cpt. Earth and Star Driver had: you know the ending because the story demands the protagonists cannot lose even one fight.

And I hate that premise so much.

duckroll

What's the difference between a premise where the protagonist cannot lose, and a premise where the protagonist losing doesn't matter?

duckroll

The latter would probably have more ways to make the conflict interesting since the outcome isn't set in stone.

I don't agree, because ultimately we know that in a given genre a hero cannot -lose-. The outcome is never the interesting part. How is the outcome not set in stone? Even if a character can lose a fight, she cannot lose the overall conflict. In the majority of stories, the protagonist cannot die. There is no expectation on the audience's part that the protagonist will "lose" by the end. Yet it can still be interesting because the outcome is not why people enjoy stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom