• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

I don't agree, because ultimately we know that in a given genre a hero cannot -lose-. The outcome is never the interesting part. How is the outcome not set in stone? Even if a character can lose a fight, she cannot lose the overall conflict. In the majority of stories, the protagonist cannot die. There is no expectation on the audience's part that the protagonist will "lose" by the end. Yet it can still be interesting because the outcome is not why people enjoy stories.

Tell that to all these Nisekoi readers!

I completely agree with you. With most stories you have a pretty good idea of what the outcome is going to be. Those stories can be tense and exciting regardless, because you don't know how that outcome will be reached. That process is the exciting part, and that has more to do with execution than anything else.

I was never watching Girls und Panzer because I was excited to see whether or not they'd lose. The rare bouts they lose are as exciting as the ones that they win, because what's fun is the tense back-and-forth of each individual match, the off-the-wall strategies and crazy maneuvers, and the ways each individual skirmish contributes to the larger fight. For me, the movie delivered that in spades, all the way to the end. Each little victory is exciting in itself.

Like, if I'm watching a Jackie Chan movie, I'm not watching it because I think Jackie Chan might lose. I'm watching it to see how he gets out of the crazy predicaments he winds up in and triumphs.

zulux21

We need more anime mom love in this thread. So much hate here.

the first thing I could find to reply with
73DNGlj.jpg

>.>

Are they seriously going to not use any of the OST and just replace it all with stuff like this?

I thought we were past that point at just eliminating the entire Japanese OST for dubs. Especially if Saban isn't behind it. :|

At this point watch the sub if you want the original ost. I personally don't mind at all give me all this stuff, this is what makes digimon digimon for me.

I am so happy they are going with this.

Gimme all those cool songs like with the old movies AND I want to hear Omnimon scream Transcendent SWORD and SUPREME CANON.

Kick it up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A47RcHC7YXc

I'm going digital
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K68P14NCLBQ

This PV never fails to make me laugh.

It's like every example you see people use when they give the "Muh 80s and 90s annie mays" rant thrown into a neat little package and thrown at your face.

Heck, I won't be surprised if someone here does just that and makes a thread about this show just to complain.

Someone please stop anime.

Pfft, don't act like you're not going to watch at least one episode.

ibyea

Banned
Pokemon XY: 5-6
Pokemon battles have never looked this great.

Also, Serena didn't ask, she is like, guess I will just follow you guys around all by herself.

This PV never fails to make me laugh.

It's like every example you see people use when they give the "Muh 80s and 90s annie mays" rant thrown into a neat little package and thrown at your face.

Heck, I won't be surprised if someone here does just that and makes a thread about this show just to complain.

Pfft, don't act like you're not going to watch at least one episode.

It's not a show, at least not yet. It's just an ad for a mobile game.

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #28

This Taut arc has been interesting for the arcs in space stuff to infiltrate the enemy is always interesting more so when its one or a few units versus the entire alien army (though Ive yet to see anything as massive as a few jet planes vs mothership Independence Day style).

Still there are so many military failures when youre being taken down by 14/15 yo boys.

Also Scott is always dumb, no flying experience and hes going to rush in there? All his flight scenes made me laugh so much.

Jarmel

Banned
Like, if I'm watching a Jackie Chan movie, I'm not watching it because I think Jackie Chan might lose. I'm watching it to see how he gets out of the crazy predicaments he winds up in and triumphs.
It's funny that you mention Jackie Chan as I'm assuming you saw the big Tony Zhou breakdown of his fights/movies. A big element of his works in the notion that his character looks vunerable and that he's physically the underdog. Part of the likability with Chan's fights is that he looks like he might lose and so that gives the audience all the more reason to cheer him on.

ibyea

Banned
Pokemon XY: 7
The first scene of this episode should have been the last scene of the previous.

I feel like even with a saddle, riding a rhyhorn for a high speed race would rip your butt a new one.

I think the writer was on to something with Serena's character this episode, but then they just sort of let go. There never was a satisfying finish to this episode.

sonicmj1

It's funny that you mention Jackie Chan as I'm assuming you saw the big Tony Zhou breakdown of his fights/movies. A big element of his works in the notion that his character looks vunerable and that he's physically the underdog. Part of the likability with Chan's fights is that he looks like he might lose and so that gives the audience all the more reason to cheer him on.

Right. He looks like he might lose, but Jackie Chan always finds a way to bounce back in the end. If I'm going to a Jackie Chan film, I'm expecting him to win. Him being put in a situation where he looks like he might lose is exciting because I want to see how he can turn the tables (and because he usually turns the tables in a creative, physically-impressive way).

Similarly, the Oarai team faces a lot of setbacks in their climactic battle, but they always find a way back from the brink of elimination. I don't think the drama of that comeback is undercut by the plot requiring them to win to keep their school. If Jackie Chan is in a fight for his life, it doesn't become less dramatic because we know he won't die.

Jarmel

Banned
Right. He looks like he might lose, but Jackie Chan always finds a way to bounce back in the end. If I'm going to a Jackie Chan film, I'm expecting him to win. Him being put in a situation where he looks like he might lose is exciting because I want to see how he can turn the tables (and because he usually turns the tables in a creative, physically-impressive way).

Similarly, the Oarai team faces a lot of setbacks in their climactic battle, but they always find a way back from the brink of elimination. I don't think the drama of that comeback is undercut by the plot requiring them to win to keep their school. If Jackie Chan is in a fight for his life, it doesn't become less dramatic because we know he won't die.

He doesn't always win his fights though, look at Drunken Master for example where he gets the shit beat out of him for a good chunk of the film. Even if the audience or viewer presumes that the main character is going to win because they're essentially the main character, it's important to maintain that illusion even in cases where the outcome might be obvious in hindsight. If the audience doesn't believe in the possibility of failure then how can they feel any tension? Unpredictability is one of the greatest tactics an author can use.

The problem is that the longer you run these types of 'you have to win to keep the show going' sort of scenarios then the more strained that illusion becomes. A character winning two or three battles is more believable than winning say a dozen or more in a row. This whole discussion though is less of a problem with the film in of itself though and more so with the TV series. That said it's going back and doubling down on something that didn't work in the primary TV show. The film's primary problem on a writing level is that the whole driving conflict of the film was already resolved.

ibyea

Banned
Pokemon XY: 8
Furfrou fashion, just as terrible as real life poodle fashion.

I got to say, the dumbasses falling for the same Team Rocket trick got a good laugh out of me this time. Also, Jessie is sure a woman of many talents. Highlights include wobbuffet having all sorts of different hairstyles, and Bonnie imagining Fennekin's ear hair styled into afros and curls.

Afterwards, it was one of the better team rocket pokemon battles. Ash's pikachu is a freaking boss in XY.

Danganronpa 1 Chapter 3

This wasn't really much of a whodunit, because the villain was so obvious, so blatant, I have to imagine most people got it welllll before the trail started.
Huh, maybe I should suspicious of this person whose personality has suddenly become a lot more direct this chapter....and is clearly motivated by the money...and is a manipulative psychopath.
That said, I still enjoyed the general mystery of it, because the manner of the crime was easily the most complex yet. (Also the comic-esque closing argument segments at the end of each trial? Those are awesome. I'm surprised the Ace Attorney series doesn't do the same.)

RIP
Taka.
You had a really rough go of it.

Chapter 4 Beginning

Goddammit. Everyone cool is dying. Meanwhile the three main suspects are content to suck air and be their usual asshole selves. It would make me so happy if they ate it hard...but I know that's not gonna happen. Everyone cool dies. The asshole, his annoying sidekick, and the idiot live.

This is the true Danganronpa experience.

Cornbread78

Problem Art Room ep.6
It can't be a romcom without an awkward love triangle getting in thr way. Despite that, it was still a pretty funny episode with all the situations with the new transfer student with lots of moe, lol.

ibyea

Banned
Chapter 4 Beginning

Goddammit. Everyone cool is dying. Meanwhile the three main suspects are content to suck air and be their usual asshole selves. It would make me so happy if they ate it hard...but I know that's not gonna happen. Everyone cool dies. The asshole, his annoying sidekick, and the idiot live.

This is the true Danganronpa experience.

Hahaha, that's so true.

What a cute looking cockroach!

Wasn't this whole thing supposed to quell hate? ;P

Watch your tone.
Best mom in anime...

Yes. And another person in the show is best mom but that would be spoiler!

Okay. Yeah. His mom was pretty great.

Won't lie, I cried during that scene.

She was great. But not all that's memorable.

This is just mean. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom