• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orange 7
Cp1iZClXEAArorW.jpg:small

Suwa and Kakeru best bros.

The first suicide attempt :(

Clov

Finished Fantastic Children last night. I was very impressed with it over all; while the story is slow to start, it really picks up as the show goes on. The conclusion was very satisfying as well. I really ought to watch more of Takashi Nakamura's work at some point, it's clear that after watching both this and Harmony that he's quite talented.

Depending on how much of Tokyo Mirage Sessions I play today, I might end up starting the long journey of watching Urusei Yatsura. I'm really excited to see more of Oshii's comedic side!

gargles

Orange - 7

Suwa can't stop being great. Even with
a future with the girl he loved and with a child, he still sends a letter to his past self in order to erase his, her and the group's regrets
. He's willing to lose a lot (if the
alternate timeline theory is proven wrong
) just to do that. You're great. And that ending was beautiful.
Either this or MP100 will end up being my original AOTS. Loving them both more and more with each episode.

Qurupeke

Re: Zero 20
eFp06hD.png
ClC4TYQ.png
c9MkjdG.png

FemReinhard is best girl.
I expected an okay fight with a strong ending. I got a great fight right from the start, more despair and a fucking twist. This was soooooooo good. I even liked Wilhelm's physics defying attacks and jumps. lol

Re:Zero 20

Well FUCK
TURNS OUT THERE'S THREE WHITE WHALES

This doesn't exactly look like a great outcome to what's going on. We see certain characters like Wilheim being rather badass, and wondering how the White Whale was so much of a threat.

Well..........

Not sure if people will like the Therasia stuff though.

Copper

Damn this episode had me hyped and it delivered. Very good action and an oh shit moment at the end.

I need that William Spin of Novel translated..

216fda57ff22d85ba314b5bf479f7fe1.gif

Also
What I don't understand is how can William remember his wife if she was eaten by the whale? Something tells me she might still be alive.

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.6
Ok, that was pretty damn dope! That dragon battle..!!! Great way to introduce the game to Japanese audiences that get to play it soon, but makes it a long hard wait for us in NA! The Berseria opening way pretty damn good with the rest of the Berseria OST previewed the past couple episodes great. Man, I can't wait for the game; it worked Bamco....

Sunday did not disappoint.

Re:Zero
Amazing episode, as always.
3 white whales, god damnn
Theresia, best girl
Besides Rem of course

Orange
Suwa is best bro of 2016.

Orange 7

I think I'm going to put this on hold in hopes the animation can get cleaned up for the BDs. I'm still invested in the storytelling - I really like the overall approach the show is taking - but the art is becoming unpolished to an extreme degree. Randomly throwing in crude gag faces really put me off this episode. That's the sort of thing you get when the chief animation director is unable to provide proper oversight.

T-Rex.

Banned
Re:Zero #20
Today has been a day of hype and this ep only continued that trend. Great fight and the ep did a really good job of conveying just how OP the whale is. AND THAT END, BAH GAWD.

Arsenal 3-4 Liverpool
smuganimegirl.jpg

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.6
Ok, that was pretty damn dope! That dragon battle..!!! Great way to introduce the game to Japanese audiences that get to play it soon, but makes it a long hard wait for us in NA! The Berseria opening way pretty damn good with the rest of the Berseria OST previewed the past couple episodes great. Man, I can't wait for the game; it worked Bamco....

I wish we knew where the dragon came from in this uninhabited island at the end of the world.

Ascheroth

Re:Zero #20

Yes, that was goddamn awesome from start to finish.
And damn, they're so fucked now.
There are three of those monsters!!?? Or possible even more!?? Yeah, I have no idea how they're going to get out of this mess.

Exalted

Re zero episode 20

Well this was quite the exciting episode, the fight was great to watch. Had a suspicion that the fight would not be so easy, don't know how they will manage to handle that next week.
That sure were lots of death flags for Wilhelm in this episode.

Narag

Macross Δ 15

I can't help but think there was a better way to try and humanize the antagonists rather than what was tantamount to an unskippable JRPG cutscene. The Windermere folk should, by all rights, be sympathetic villains but waiting 15 episodes to humanize a bunch of one note ideological assholes doesn't really do the trick.

Finished Fantastic Children last night. I was very impressed with it over all; while the story is slow to start, it really picks up as the show goes on. The conclusion was very satisfying as well. I really ought to watch more of Takashi Nakamura's work at some point, it's clear that after watching both this and Harmony that he's quite talented.

Glad you enjoyed it. Fantasic Children manages to achieve excellent payoffs of the major mysteries which it spends a long time tantalizing us with, which is an admirable feat. Nakamura is indeed quite talented, though I haven't heard great things about his other major work, Tree of Palme. Still need to watch that and Catnapped though.

Depending on how much of Tokyo Mirage Sessions I play today, I might end up starting the long journey of watching Urusei Yatsura. I'm really excited to see more of Oshii's comedic side!

Nice. Just be aware that the TV series takes a while to get going; the early episodes are mediocre more often than not. There's some great stuff eventually though.

I can't believe this episode revealed that Subaru is actually in the Sword Art Online universe! Kirito is attempting to kill the White Whale for eating Asuna all those years ago.

Plus, we had an appearance this week and last by Neogaf's own Boss Doggie!

But really, that was a really fun fight.

Also
What I don't understand is how can William remember his wife if she was eaten by the whale? Something tells me she might still be alive.

This episode revealed that it is if you get directly hit by the fog attack that you are forgotten. She must've been killed otherwise.

Active Raid S2 06

Very much a Sena episode this time, with some light meta commentary of CG usage in kaiju films. There really do seem to be a lot of "hidden bombs" episodes in S2, although with a twist/gimmick each time, with this one being "3D-projections of giant monster attacks at the exact time bombs go off".

With this, looks like Bird is back for good now. Hopefully that means more Jirou and Hinata appearances going forward.

What a great fight from the start of the episode to the very end of it. Wilhelm show off how fucking badass he is despite how aged he is was a sight to behold. At one point it felt like he could have singlehandedly defeated the whale.
That eye gouging was brutal as fuck

But of course the whale had a few trump cards and despair reared its evil head once again
and they fucking used their best fucking attacks on the first fucking phase of the fight. Reinhardt needs to make an appearance or something because what is left of the army is clearly no match.

Tuck

Arslan - 7
Yeah that was good. I've just sort of accepted that the show is basically just gonna be Narsus keikaku-ing and Daryun being totally OP, but thats ok. Its a fun watch, if nothing else.

Not entirely sure why this was called "Dust Storm Dance."

Where was the dust storm?

Should be called like... Pirate Storm Dance or... something =/

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mofu army is the best part of today's ep but the fight itself was kind of dull. Just lots of running and yelling and panning shots. Whale itself was mostly a giant immobile target.

Orange - 07

Eeesh, you weren't kidding when you said the production values on this dropped. Tons of missing frames, wanky art, and caricatures of facial expressions that hadn't ever been used up to now. Basically there were A LOT of corners being cut on this episode.

That being said I'm enjoying the story. I can't help but complain yet again about how
Suwa and Naho are basically telling their younger selves (even if from a different dimension) to erase all of their time together along with their child
. At the same time though, I also can't help but feel bad for Kakeru ,
for bottling up the regret that he has of not going with his mother to the hospital, which in a way was what caused her to commit suicide
. It's an interesting and polarizing take on friendship and depression because of loss.

Could that sword, mamoru and flower backstory have been any more by the numbers?

I don't get the level of technology in this universe because it appears they have laser cannons. Is that magitek?

ReZero 20

Where is Reinhard?

Couldn't he crush all these whales?

The Re:Zero paradox of having tons of strong characters who never do anything because reasons (aka thered be no problems)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I've been watching a few older shows and one I came across was Arslan.

The first few episodes were magnificent, but it's basically de-evolved into Team Arslan conquers all while beating in how he wants to free the slaves.

Such a shame.

It's amazing too since S2 had a great twist and now its back to square one.

Qurupeke

Mofu army is the best part of today's ep but the fight itself was kind of dull. Just lots of running and yelling and panning shots. Whale itself was mostly a giant immobile target.

I always had a soft spot for this kind of battles in games, though I think a lot of people dislike them. Epic scale, very big enemy with 1hko attacks, a lot of different allied forces and different battle or enemy phases, where you mostly inflict little to no damage, waiting for the opportunity to deliver some big hits and gradually take down the boss. The whale battle followed this perfectly, I couldn't ask anything more.

Mailbox

Re:Zero episode 20

That was a damn good fight! Can't wait for its conclusion next week because holy fuck idk how they are gonna get through THAT!

After watching week after week of shitty large scale fights in Hybrid X Heart its so damn refreshing to see a great, well animated large scale fight. This was good, damn good!

Re:Zero - 20

Only 5 episodes left :'(

This episode was a bloodbath pretty much. And that ending?! Just how in the world are they going to pull through now?

TUSR

Banned
The Re:Zero paradox of having tons of strong characters who never do anything because reasons (aka thered be no problems)
I briefly read an interview with the writer and as far as power levels go
Reinhard >>>>> everyone else. Apparently he's not even comparable in power to anyone else in the ReZero universe.

Eumi

I briefly read an interview with the writer and as far as power levels go
Reinhard >>>>> everyone else. Apparently he's not even comparable in power to anyone else in the ReZero universe.
I dunno, Bites the Dust >>> Anubis.

At this point I too believe the only way they can pull through is if Reinhardt shows up. Maybe Roswall could be of some assistance too?

Also saw no mention of it but today we had our first look at who seemed to be
the witch, and she seemed to whisper something in Subaru's ear. In anime most characters look the same, and since we only saw half of her face there isn't much there in terms of facial features, but she seemed an awful lot like Emilia, except with lipstick on. Could this be... you know, her sister/mother or something? I am of course pulling tons of non-info here from all places that point towards her, like the OP, etc.

Gvitor

Re Zero 20

At this point I'll have to read the novel when the anime ends. I just need my weekly rezero fix, dammit.

And for a while I thought they were going to mimic the crows in the beginning of the OP with
the whales. But apparently there are "only" 3.

Also, if Subaru doesn't rewind (and I don't think he will),
RIP Wilheim. He won't be missed. (unfortunately)

T-Rex.

Banned
Re:Zero
Eh, he might be able to use return by death to make the scent stronger and turn the tables on them by getting them to use the fog on each other. We don't really know how intelligent the whales are supposed to be so it could work.

Mailbox

Decided to read a lil bit of Keijo!!!!!!! to prep myself for the anime...
Its actually kinda entertaining, idk how to feel about that
I will say that Xebec has its work cut out for them though.

At this point I too believe the only way they can pull through is if Reinhardt shows up. Maybe Roswall could be of some assistance too?

Also so no mention of it but today we had our first look at who seemed to be
the witch, and she seemed to whisper something in Subaru's ear. In anime most characters look the same, and since we only saw half of her face there isn't much there in terms of facial features, but she seemed an awful lot like Emilia, except with lipstick on. Could this be... you know, her sister/mother or something? I am of course pulling tons of non-info here from all places that point towards her, like the OP, etc.

iirc, even the web novel hasn't gotten far enough to figure that out yet.
I could be wrong though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom