• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps staying true to the six degrees of separation theory, not unlike the theory that every article on Wikipedia leads to the Philosophy article, I often find myself looking at that show. Looking at shows often leads me to that one mysteriously but I've never really pursued actually watching it but I'll give it a closer look due to your recommendation.

I won't expand upon my thoughts on FMA:B.

It's clearly your fate to see it then!

As far as FMA:B is concerned, the normal FMA has better direction and doesn't rush through the early parts, establishing everything properly. Though I don't think either of the two are particularly great, especially when they head towards their respective finale.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The weaknesses of Shokugeki no Soma really came to a head this week. This is, perhaps, the least interesting match to date. These characters are exceedingly simplistic, and their return visit beneath the spotlight really only attempts to reiterate the known. Hayama's strong affinity to aroma is really played up here, but in no way is this ability shown helping to craft what he is making. There is no real attempt by the anime to even make the preparation of his meal seem important, and the show almost goes out of its way to just skip most of its prepwork. This entire match has no real intensity or heat. The theme of what is being cooked around might as well not exist. There is no real back and forth between the competing parties outside of the occasionally nonsensical verbal back and forth.

Instead the show heavily relies on imagery that lacks any real thought or cohesion. The reaction to eating a duck platter? The girls who tasted it are exploitatively displayed in a state of ecstasy, outfitted in some strange cross between a duck disguise and fetish gear. And as for the match itself? For no ascertainable reason it is both a battle between an eagle and a tiger in addition to having this weird Yuigioh card game clash on top of it. None of it ever really means anything at any point, and is completely transparent as a desperate ploy to rile up some kind of excitement. These very basic visual ideas presented for the clash are not followed through on the most simplistic level. The culmination of a character being depicted as a tiger? A tiger-y looking arm that has a claw instead of a paw grabs his opponents ankle as a signifier that he's a threat.

What isn't lazy is just lousy or underutilized. Even with decent VA talent on board these characters are so intensely bland and uninteresting that they never pop on screen. They never have cool moments. The fights ultimate twist? I guess there was plum in one of the dishes or something. If no attention is payed to the process of cooking, the clash between the cooks and their dishes just feels like such a drag, and that is absolutely not helped by a conclusion that is essentially a draw by default.

Xilium

Alderamin on the Sky 1-6 (7/10) - I'm a little torn on this show. I have it rated fairly high, mostly due to the protagonist being intelligent and generally likeable. I have a general idea of where the story is going but it seems to be taking it's sweet time getting there. I'm hoping there's gonna be a second season or something because otherwise, I have a feeling the second half is either gonna be rushed or end on a cliff-hanger. Also, I wish they would get around to explaining the deal with the spirits. While cute, they don't seem to serve any narrative purpose and just come off as random replacements to some technology.

Arslan Senki 1-6 (8/10) - Shows about the wars between kingdoms and battles of succession are always interesting to me. Honestly, my main complaint with this show is just how naive Arslan is and how useless he is in most instances. Seeing as he's supposed to be some hero of legend it's a little odd that the only thing he has to bring to the table is his "royal" blood. That said, I don't dislike him and his entourage are fully aware of his shortcomings and make up for them. So in general, I really like the show, but the title should probably be something more along the lines of "The Bromantic Legend of Narsus and Daryun". It's sad that the show only has 2 more episodes left.

Kyoukai No Rinne 1-17 (6/10) - There's nothing that stands out as being bad about this anime but there's nothing especially good about it either. It's kinda just there. That said, I find the slapstick comedy good enough to push it just above average. It also feels like I'm the only person in the western world watching this show, which I find kinda surprising. It's also surprising it manages to get 25 episodes every season. Popular in Japan maybe?

Shokugeki no Souma 1-7 (7/10) - Me liking this show is quite an anomaly for me. So one of my biggest pet peeves in anime (and manga/video games) are scenes featuring cooking and/or people eating something and exclaiming about how amazing it is. I don't know if this is some government mandated thing in Japan or what, but it's a trope that shows up in literally every anime (it might be closer to 95% but it's a lot in any case). I've seen it so often, in so many different types of shows that I just find it plain annoying at this point. Enter Souma. A show that takes that trope and goes all in on it. Despite my continued disinterest in the cooking and food commentary, I still enjoy watching this show. I mostly just really like the characters (minus Erina) and I, in general, like the specialized school setting in anime. This seasons heavy focus on the cook-offs is a little disappointing though which is why it has a slightly lower score than the past season thus far (which I gave a 8), but I also like that they are fleshing out some of the lesser seen characters from the first season. That said, if they weren't spending so much time on these cook-offs, they probably could have better fleshed out said characters. Seems a little rushed atm.

Masou Gakuen HxH 1-4 (4/10) - Dropped. I keep watching these shows hoping for a High School DxD , Trinity Seven, ect level harem anime. This show is not that. In general, the exoskeleton suit combat is just a hard sell for me as I don't think I've ever seen one of those shows that I like. The protagonist not being an extreme beta is nice but this show just relies too much on the ecchi. The characters and plot simply aren't interesting enough (the plot just feels too try-hard in attempting to give you an emotional attachment to the characters) and ecchi by itself is just bad hentai. At the very least it has my respect for going all in on the ecchi content and not covering it all up with clip-art nonsense or light bars.

Taboo Tattoo 1-6 (6/10) - This show is weird. In general, I like the premise and the fight sequences aren't bad but the show is just kinda all over the place. One moment, it's serious blood splattering violence, the next it's happy fun ecchi times. It also seems to be rushing through the plot so the show has been progressively getting worse with each episode imo. It's also one of those shows where the villains go around murdering fools like they're insects but when the protagonist has the chance to take them out, they can't/won't because that's not what heroes do...

Tales of Zestiria the X 1-5 (6/10) - So I played the game and thought is was firmly a meh game. Didn't like the story (humanity vs. nature plots are usually uninteresting to me, especially if they're black and white), the characters were mostly just alright but nothing bad (Alisha was just plain boring but I found no one to be annoying), and the gameplay was pretty lackluster. I'm expecting the show to basically be that so I don't see it going much higher than the above average score I have for it now but maybe trimming out all the grinding and long-winded narrative of the game will have me like the characters more. That said, I imagine they won't be as fleshed out as they are in the game (with maybe the exception of Alisha, whom I still find boring btw), but we'll see. Could've done without the Berseria advert.

Re:Zero 1-18 (4/10) - Dropped. I've said my piece on this show here and elsewhere.

D.Gray-man Hallow (?/10) - Plan to watch. It's been a long time since I've seen the first anime and read the manga (which I kept up with for a little while after the anime finished). I have pretty bad memory so I usually go and rewatch prior seasons if an anime restarts with a large time gap between seasons. Problem is, first season is 103 episodes. I'll get this eventually though as I liked the first season.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Masou Gakuen HxH 1-4 (4/10) - Dropped. I keep watching these shows hoping for a High School DxD , Trinity Seven, ect level harem anime. This show is not that. In general, the exoskeleton suit combat is just a hard sell for me as I don't think I've ever seen one of those shows that I like. The protagonist not being an extreme beta is nice but this show just relies too much on the ecchi. The characters and plot simply aren't interesting enough (the plot just feels too try-hard in attempting to give you an emotional attachment to the characters) and ecchi by itself is just bad hentai. At the very least it has my respect for going all in on the ecchi content and not covering it all up with clip-art nonsense or light bars.

Re:Zero 1-18 (4/10) - Dropped. I've said my piece on this show here and elsewhere.
Dude nothing is ever going to beat DxD. At least this one is slightly more original than others. Witchblade is still by far the best.

Theonik

I LOVE YOU FOR ANNOUNCING TURN-A BDS RIGHTSTUF.

EWmof.gif
THANK YOU
p0QHO.gif
I hope all the Anime gives it to us soon. Still waiting on Zeta and ZZ

Jintor

I think I might give Love Live a shot. Both School Idol Project and Sunshine are on Crunchyroll.

Yay or nay?

Might as well. There's a certain charm to it which puts it right on the edge of feeling like a soulless corporate monstrosity, but keeps it from going over.

That it is one is, of course, indisputable.

I think I might give Love Live a shot. Both School Idol Project and Sunshine are on Crunchyroll.

Yay or nay?

I recently watched the show expecting it would be just nico-nico-nii~ constantly and was quite pleasantly surprised by it. If you don't mind a bit of a slower buildup I'd say that it's worth a look.

Love Live Sunshine 05

Shit. I don't need my yuri goggles for this, it writes itself.

Ange Vierge 06

So they're continuing with the pattern of. "Meet mind controlled more powerful friend, and friend hurts their feelings. They cry and can't win. Next episode they use the power of love/courage of to defeat someone they never were able to defeat before in one hit.

Qualidea Code 06

You know there was some good scenes in the latter half of this episode. Its too bad the animation is completely ass, too many still shots and they keep disfiguring the characters.

4 theaters after half a year...
In a landmass larger than the USA...

impressive...

Seriously though, its like an hour, hour and a half commute to the nearest theater that will play it and thats considered lucky

Better late than never! At least you aren't flying down just to see it!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The weaknesses of Shokugeki no Soma really came to a head this week. This is, perhaps, the least interesting match to date. These characters are exceedingly simplistic, and their return visit beneath the spotlight really only attempts to reiterate the known. Hayama's strong affinity to aroma is really played up here, but in no way is this ability shown helping to craft what he is making. There is no real attempt by the anime to even make the preparation of his meal seem important, and the show almost goes out of its way to just skip most of its prepwork. This entire match has no real intensity or heat. The theme of what is being cooked around might as well not exist. There is no real back and forth between the competing parties outside of the occasionally nonsensical verbal back and forth.

Instead the show heavily relies on imagery that lacks any real thought or cohesion. The reaction to eating a duck platter? The girls who tasted it are exploitatively displayed in a state of ecstasy, outfitted in some strange cross between a duck disguise and fetish gear. And as for the match itself? For no ascertainable reason it is both a battle between an eagle and a tiger in addition to having this weird Yuigioh card game clash on top of it. None of it ever really means anything at any point, and is completely transparent as a desperate ploy to rile up some kind of excitement. These very basic visual ideas presented for the clash are not followed through on the most simplistic level. The culmination of a character being depicted as a tiger? A tiger-y looking arm that has a claw instead of a paw grabs his opponents ankle as a signifier that he's a threat.

What isn't lazy is just lousy or underutilized. Even with decent VA talent on board these characters are so intensely bland and uninteresting that they never pop on screen. They never have cool moments. The fights ultimate twist? I guess there was plum in one of the dishes or something. If no attention is payed to the process of cooking, the clash between the cooks and their dishes just feels like such a drag, and that is absolutely not helped by a conclusion that is essentially a draw by default.
I have to agree. Due to the focus on shocking opponents any attention on the cooking process has been removed so the viewer is not aware of what the final dish is until it is complete. Spice Guy was literally, shoved some spices in the oven and bish bash bosh the meal is complete.

Well I keep hearing this tournament is a rather weak arc so hopefully it picks up again.

Dave1988

Teles of Zestria X ep 5-6

The two Berseria prologue eps actually got me interested in the upcoming game. Mission accomplished, I guess?

Gvitor

Yowamushi Pedal 04-09

Damn, that race was hype. I don't think I'd be able to handle that first 5km one, let alone this 60km one lol. Brutal.

Tales of Berseria Episode 2

Game isnt even out and Im already mad at the plot
Seres was the best of the female characters, why did she have to go!!!

Obligatory annoying femchar already spotted even.
Cp1SDI5WYAEeYYm.jpg:small

Oscar had lots of cool artes though and I love his devotion to Lord Artorious.

Geist-

Arslan S2 Ep7

Narsus is too flawless. Even his best friend became an enemy because he's just too perfect. At this point the best thing the show can do is kill him off.

At least the fight scenes are well animated.

And I guess I was right, Etoile is already with Arslan.

Kyoukai No Rinne 1-17 (6/10) - There's nothing that stands out as being bad about this anime but there's nothing especially good about it either. It's kinda just there. That said, I find the slapstick comedy good enough to push it just above average. It also feels like I'm the only person in the western world watching this show, which I find kinda surprising. It's also surprising it manages to get 25 episodes every season. Popular in Japan maybe?.

Rinne is funny, especially, tsubasa, rinne, rokumon, mamiya sakura, and ageha, and with oboro.

I kind of like it and also the struggles of poor rinne and rokumon, though i sometimes hate how others treat him cause of money.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Arslan Senki Season 2, Episode 7:

I suppose I should be joining the chorus when it comes to Narsus but in this context the ploy was so obvious it might have killed his character had he not seen through things.

Gvitor

Orange 07

Okay, there's something wrong with these future scenes and the letters. The letter said they didn't know when Kakeru's birthday was, since he never told them and then spent it alone. So they never knew what Kakeru would want as presents. But then the letter said "ask him last, he probably will say "flowers" ".

I'm thinking Naho's letter is from the "first" future, when they originally failed to save Kakeru, while Suwa's letter is from the "second" future, the future that spawns from this present, after they got the first letters, but failed to save him nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom