• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chindogg

Speaking of Urusei Yatsura, anyone vouch for this?

Not sure if I can watch 195 episodes tbqh but I need that Oshii goodness.

As a massive UY fan, this is accurate. Especially Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer. It's a huge departure from the series but really expands on the relationship between Ataru and Lum.

Clov

I will, just more interested in the order. Quickest way to watch Beautiful Dreamer preferred! :p

The quickest way would be to just watch Beautiful Dreamer. You could always watch the first movie before that one to get a general idea of what the characters are like. It's also an Oshii film, though it's more general Urusei Yatsura silliness from what I remember.

Macross Delta - 9

CqMIPfYW8AEWF2Z.jpg:large

Uh, thanks subbers.

My favourite element of this show has got to be how the hype insert songs are of actual significance to the plot.

It's a common theme for super robot shows (and I guess anime in general, but I often see it happen there) to have their opening themes or some other song to generate hype when something awesome's about to go down, but here the song is literally what snaps Messer out of it and makes everybody get the upper hand.

After this and episode 8, I'd say I've found my groove with this show. Delta is good.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Just caught up on Thunderbolt Fantasy. It's all so good. Loving all the characters and the fragile alliance of the band.

I plan to watch through again later to soak up the puppetry and miniatures. Wish this were more popular.

javac

As a massive UY fan, this is accurate. Especially Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer. It's a huge departure from the series but really expands on the relationship between Ataru and Lum.

The quickest way would be to just watch Beautiful Dreamer. You could always watch the first movie before that one to get a general idea of what the characters are like. It's also an Oshii film, though it's more general Urusei Yatsura silliness from what I remember.

just watch everything

but remember, tv series gets better after 20ish eps, and beautiful dreamer > *

Thank you very much, my apprehensions for jumping in are alleviated. I do intend to watch everything but I guess having an order of sorts will help me get through it. I'm not bothered by it being a slow burner but rather just the sheer amount of content and where to start was intimidating. I'm sure by the end of the first few episodes I'll be hooked and it'll be near impossible to get me to stop :p Looking forward to it!

Sailor Moon Crystal III 8

Going from Chibiusa
dead
at the end of the episode right into a frivolous, upbeat Chibiusa themed ED has to be one of the sharpest examples of a tonally dissonant ED transition I've ever seen.

blurr

Wow Gen Urobochi's writing the Godzilla anime - I really feel like this should've happened years ago. I mean a Godzilla anime! as Japan as it can get.

ibyea

Banned
Pokemon - Hoopa and the Clash of Ages
I was expecting an epic clash of titans, but instead I got this garbage with weirdly clashing visual elements.

Squishy3

Macross Delta - 9

My favourite element of this show has got to be how the hype insert songs are of actual significance to the plot.

It's a common theme for super robot shows (and I guess anime in general, but I often see it happen there) to have their opening themes or some other song to generate hype when something awesome's about to go down, but here the song is literally what snaps Messer out of it and makes everybody get the upper hand.

After this and episode 8, I'd say I've found my groove with this show. Delta is good.
I have no idea if you've watched Symphogear but you should probably watch Symphogear

Gah, why do I even bother. Every so often I try and look up Golden Time to see if I can score the Dvd at a reasonable price :/ Turns out the Vol. 2 OST is only on the limited edition 7 vol. and its $100 :'v FML

the pain of wanting an OST in flac. but not really worth the $100 for just three songs

BluWacky

Was thinking the same thing. Surely one exists.

The only time that Godzilla has officially appeared in anime was in Shinnosuke vs Shin Godzilla, a Crayon Shin-Chan short that premiered earlier this year. With that said, there are some OVAs from the early 90s called "Susume! Godzilland!" which were a series of educational videos teaching little kids how to read and write.

I'm sure I've seen chibi Godzilla knockoffs in a few shows in the past but otherwise this will genuinely be the first Godzilla anime.

I just finished that fanmade Pokemon Uranium game and it' easily has the most engaging storytelling among those games. Gamefreak yet again confirmed as hack frauds.

Speaking of mochi, the exotic island bird's family name is Mochimazui (aka, Mochidisgusting), just so they can annoy Tamako's father by saying it.

smh

Aki-at

I can't believe there's actually never been a Godzilla anime before, how did that take so long to happen?

Was thinking the same thing. Surely one exists.

There's never been one, they've all been America toons. One by Hanna Barbera in the 70s and one based off of the 1998 American film.

It's funny because he's appeared in manga, had a children show and more video games than a typical gaming franchise but not one anime. Though I'd guess the biggest factor was the films were never that big anyway, we talking sub $20 mil box office here and worst of times $10 mil, the franchise is far more popular in the West.

Quasar

Battery 6 - So much for any discipling of Nobunshi and his buddies. Continued to be entertained though, a first for a baseball anime.

Macross Delta 7 - contine to wonder how they will wrap the story up unrushed given the amount of time left.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Battery The Animation Episode 6:

Well, that was a heaping pile of nothing, thank you for wasting my time episode so that we could get back to where we were before the incident.

DiGiKerot

I wonder if the westakus in Japan walk around having debates about how Dexter's lab is the pinnacle of cartoons then sit down and judge others with condescension as they discuss the last season of the wire

My favourite thing about the Little Witch Academia 2 Making Of featurette was that Yoshinari had a sketch of Peppa Pig stuck to his desk tidy. That guy knows where it's at.

Cornbread78

Battery The Animation Episode 6:

Well, that was a heaping pile of nothing, thank you for wasting my time episode so that we could get back to where we were before the incident.

I actually liked the episode for once since it got back to baseball, however, you are right that..

- Glasses dude and his cronies got away with assault and battery, which is bullshit
- Haruda is still an insufferable punk
- Sensei is soft and needs a spine

Yeah, that's about it. At least the whole episode wasn't about everyone being an asshole to one another.

Is this show really only 11 episodes?

/XX/

Also the edgy Goblin Slayer would make a great anime.
Not sure how the graphical novel adaptation will diverge from the source, but after the initial shock it isn't like that all the time either. Many have gone overboard about this immediately!

That's not a name I expected to see on an anime OST.
I got to know him as an invited musician playing the Memorymoog synthesizer for a Mecano tour... after that I would have expected him to do anything. :p

Speaking of Urusei Yatsura, anyone vouch for this?

http://imgur.com/UVnC2Ag.jpg

Not sure if I can watch 195 episodes tbqh but I need that Oshii goodness.
I trust whatever the 'tripfriend' menschmaschine has to say about any 'economic-bubble period' Japanese animation. Having said that, overlooking any directorial work not explicitly associated with a name like Mr. Oshii is irrelevant when marvels like episode 107 (episode 130 in the Japanese first run count) also exist.

Taruranto

Battery ep.6
Well, at least we're finally getting to some baseball now. I actually liked this episode and how it flowed together so well, but that ending.... Did
Takumi hurt himself with the pitch prior?
Looks like Go realized it right away.

It's implied he held back because he thought Gou couldn't catch him. That's why Gou was so angry.

/XX/

Someone remembers the recent interview with Hirokatsu Kihara that colmcq published at the beginning of this month and about the Studio Ghibli method? It has now been taken down by request, which I find petty given the illustrative purpose of it. An externally archived webpage exists, but the more in-depth videos unfortunately disappeared. I won't ever understand that closeness of an attitude.

This isn't a fair stance towards many eager fans and their innocent curiosity... :-(

zulux21

I need to sit down and figure out what my top anime of 2010-2013 are, as I recently realized that my AOTY matched my openings of the year for the last 2 years, and so far this year that is holding true as my current AOTY has the best opening of the year as well.

My current opening of the year.

funny part... it was used so infrequently that a number of people don't recognize it lol.

I will admit Erased's opening is quite catchy.

I am also curious to see how mob psycho's full opening ends up.

I will also admit that assassination classroom's season 2 opening has me questioning whether I like it or not :p

I need to sit down and figure out what my top anime of 2010-2013 are, as I recently realized that my AOTY matched my openings of the year for the last 2 years, and so far this year that is holding true as my current AOTY has the best opening of the year as well.

My current opening of the year.

funny part... it was used so infrequently that a number of people don't recognize it lol.

I will admit Erased's opening is quite catchy.

I am also curious to see how mob psycho's full opening ends up.

I will also admit that assassination classroom's season 2 opening has me questioning whether I like it or not :p

2012 is easy. Guilty Crown.
2010 was Angel Beats.

Personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom