• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

I need to sit down and figure out what my top anime of 2010-2013 are, as I recently realized that my AOTY matched my openings of the year for the last 2 years, and so far this year that is holding true as my current AOTY has the best opening of the year as well.

My current opening of the year.

funny part... it was used so infrequently that a number of people don't recognize it lol.

I will admit Erased's opening is quite catchy.

I am also curious to see how mob psycho's full opening ends up.

I will also admit that assassination classroom's season 2 opening has me questioning whether I like it or not :p

Yep, Re:Zeros first opening is really good.
Not sure what my favorite is so far, but Twin Star Exorcists OP2 is really good as well, both the song and the visuals.

Clov

Anime Midstream, the company that took 6 years to release its only anime license, has announced that they've licensed the anime B't X and will be releasing it on DVD.

Much like their previous license, Matchless Raijin-oh, I have absolutely no idea what this show is. I don't think it's anything I'll care about. I'm honestly just surprised that they're releasing another anime when they struggled so much with releasing their previous one, along with how crowded and competitive the market has become.

Narag

Anime Midstream, the company that took 6 years to release its only anime license, has announced that they've licensed the anime B't X and will be releasing it on DVD.

Much like their previous license, Matchless Raijin-oh, I have absolutely no idea what this show is. I don't think it's anything I'll care about. I'm honestly just surprised that they're releasing another anime when they struggled so much with releasing their previous one, along with how crowded and competitive the market has become.

This sounds like the anime equivalent of a rundown restaurant that never has any customers yet is always open due to being a front for some sort of other illicit activity.

Clov

This sounds like the anime equivalent of a rundown restaurant that never has any customers yet is always open due to being a front for some sort of other illicit activity.

This honestly wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if there's some sort of hilarious Crimson Star Media-esque story behind the scenes of this place? We'll probably never find out.

I need anime recommendations.
I'm not new in the genre, I have watched many seasons of Pokemon, the first season of Digimon, some episodes of One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc. but I want to get into it again.
What I want:
Small number of episodes, 20-30 episodes max, for example.
I wouldn't mind some action, like the Digimon series for example, but it's not necessary.
I love philosophy, so I would like very much to watch something that deals with philosophical themes.
A good romantic subplot is a plus, not a neccesity though.
I don't have a specific genre in mind, but I don't like horror.

JulianImp

Hey, I remember B't X! It was about some guy with a robo-pegasus companion and a gauntlet that allowed him to perform special attacks, but that's all I remember. They used to air it back when I was a kid, but I never ended up getting into it.

I agree that It does look like one of those IPs that nobody ever asked to see again, which makes it look more like an attempt at bringing something over, even if it means getting it from the bargain/trash bin.

I'm not new in the genre, I have watched many seasons of Pokemon, the first season of Digimon, some episodes of One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc. but I want to get into it again.
What I want:
I wouldn't mind some action, like the Digimon series for example, but it's not necessary.
I love philosophy, so I would like very much to watch something that deals with philosophical themes.

Mouryou no Hako (detective mystery, delves into the human psyche and that of people who commit atrocities)
Psycho pass (action and philosophy in a cyberpunk world, just stay away from the second season)
Wolf's Rain (lots of character drama and some action in a decadent world, also has a romantic subplot of sorts)
Evangelion (you said you wanted philosophical themes, right?)
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (a dark twist on the magical girl genre that isn't just trying to be edgy for the sake of it)
Black Lagoon (lots of action in a lawless world, along with a character that gets dragged into it and learns about the less savory side of life)
Bowboy Bebop (a great mix of action, comedy and drama in a futuristic noir setting, with romance and a theme of how different characters interact in different ways with their past, present and future)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (lots of action, but also has some really well thought-out character arcs that it uses to further the show's themes about loss)
Gatchaman Crowds (a sentai show that focuses on a protagonist that wonders what makes a hero a hero)
One-Punch Man (an action/comedy show about a superhero who just wants to find a worthy opponent, but is so strong that he keeps defeating everything and everyone with a single attack, and the apathy that comes from it)

Maybe:
Monogatari series (if you want characters bouncing ideas at each other for entire episodes, then this has you covered... but be aware that the fanservice can get grating if you aren't ready for it)

Qurupeke

What I want:

The Tatami Galaxy
Hyouka
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Madoka Magica
Ping Pong The Animation
Mawaru Penguindrum
Gatchaman Crowds
Shinsekai Yori

Not sure how much you'll like them, but I consider all of them interesting and they're pretty short. The bolded have something that can be considered a romantic subplot I suppose.

What I want:

Madoka Magica, Evangelion, Kino's Journey, and Mushishi are great shows with philosophical stuff in them.

Gurren Lagann is a great mecha action show that has some philosophical stuff but nowhere near as much as the other four.

BluWacky

Hey, I remember B't X! It was about some guy with a robo-pegasus companion and a gauntlet that allowed him to perform special attacks, but that's all I remember. They used to air it back when I was a kid, but I never ended up getting into it.

I agree that It does look like one of those IPs that nobody ever asked to see again, which makes it look more like an attempt at bringing something over, even if it means getting it from the bargain/trash bin.

B't X's only real claim to fame is that it's by Masami Kurumada, the Saint Seiya author. As history has proven time and time again, however, only Latin America and bits of Europe care about Saint Seiya, let alone "some other thing the guy wrote".

There's a reason that Hajime no Ippo is the boxing anime people recommend, not Ring ni Kakero...

DiGiKerot

B't X's only real claim to fame is that it's by Masami Kurumada, the Saint Seiya author. As history has proven time and time again, however, only Latin America and bits of Europe care about Saint Seiya, let alone "some other thing the guy wrote".

There's a reason that Hajime no Ippo is the boxing anime people recommend, not Ring ni Kakero...

It is, however, morbidly amusing seeing guests and artists turning up at events in the UK assuming that everyone, or even anyone, over here actually has the slightest idea what Saint Seiya actually is.

Seriously, it's a staggeringly common occurrence.

Mouryou no Hako (detective mystery, delves into the human psyche and that of people who commit atrocities)
Psycho pass (action and philosophy in a cyberpunk world, just stay away from the second season)
Wolf's Rain (lots of character drama and some action in a decadent world, also has a romantic subplot of sorts)
Evangelion (you said you wanted philosophical themes, right?)
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (a dark twist on the magical girl genre that isn't just trying to be edgy for the sake of it)
Black Lagoon (lots of action in a lawless world, along with a character that gets dragged into it and learns about the less savory side of life)
Bowboy Bebop (a great mix of action, comedy and drama in a futuristic noir setting, with romance and a theme of how different characters interact in different ways with their past, present and future)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (lots of action, but also has some really well thought-out character arcs that it uses to further the show's themes about loss)
Gatchaman Crowds (a sentai show that focuses on a protagonist that wonders what makes a hero a hero)
One-Punch Man (an action/comedy show about a superhero who just wants to find a worthy opponent, but is so strong that he keeps defeating everything and everyone with a single attack, and the apathy that comes from it)

Maybe:
Monogatari series (if you want characters bouncing ideas at each other for entire episodes, then this has you covered... but be aware that the fanservice can get grating if you aren't ready for it)

The Tatami Galaxy
Hyouka
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Madoka Magica
Ping Pong The Animation
Mawaru Penguindrum
Gatchaman Crowds
Shinsekai Yori

Not sure how much you'll like them, but I consider all of them interesting and they're pretty short. The bolded have something that can be considered a romantic subplot I suppose.

Madoka Magica, Evangelion, Kino's Journey, and Mushishi are great shows with philosophical stuff in them.

Gurren Lagann is a great mecha action show that has some philosophical stuff but nowhere near as much as the other four.

I checked the synopsis of the anime you recommended and they were really good. I think I will start with Mouryou no Hako, but I will check the others as well.
Thank you very much!

Cornbread78

What I want:

Steins;Gate
From the New World
Erased
Blast of Tempest
The Future Diary
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
One Week Friends
Angel Beats
Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches
Kanon (2006)
School Live (no romance)

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder if the westakus in Japan walk around having debates about how Dexter's lab is the pinnacle of cartoons then sit down and judge others with condescension as they discuss the last season of the wire

You know that Tartakovsky's stuff is popular with a number of animators right?

Some of them have probably seen more Western cartoons than you or me. Imaishi watched Street Sharks of all shows.

Apparently SNAFU is getting an OVA of one of the side novels with Hachiman and Iroha as the main focus. This OVA is going to be bundled with the latest game.

What I want:
My Hero Academia is an amazing shonen series about superheroes, it has an all start cast of characters

Haikyu is an amazing sports shonen about volleyball, it is very good.

One punch man is a very good re-entry point for an old anime fans and is easily streamable on daisuki.

Gundam Iron blooded Orphans and Build fighters are 2 great mechas shows that are easy entry point in the mecha genre

If you want something more slice of life I back whoever said Hyouka.

You also have recent stuff like relife and orange that are more *philosophical*

blurr

What I want:

you mean medium?

I would second these:

Steins;Gate
From the New World
Hyouka
Ping Pong The Animation
Mawaru Penguindrum
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
One-Punch Man

and recommend these as well:

My Hero Academia
Samurai Champloo
Baccano
Fate/Zero

14716197907029zs37.jpg

http://zaregoto-series.com/

What I want:

Noragami
Parasyte -the maxim-

Clov

Orange is fantastic, but it's not exactly what I think of when I think of philosophical anime. When I think more philosophical, I think of stuff like Kaiba, The Tatami Galaxy, and Oshii's Ghost in the Shell films. Then there's works that deal with different ideologies like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Gatchaman Crowds, and From the New World. I don't really see where Orange fits in here, but perhaps my perspective on the issue is a bit too limited.

Orange is fantastic, but it's not exactly what I think of when I think of philosophical anime. When I think more philosophical, I think of stuff like Kaiba, The Tatami Galaxy, and Oshii's Ghost in the Shell films. Then there's works that deal with different ideologies like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Gatchaman Crowds, and From the New World. I don't really see where Orange fits in here, but perhaps my perspective on the issue is a bit too limited.
Yea I was wasn't sure so I put the term in**, but yea my perspective of philosophy is maybe too large.
To clarify, I had the to listen or not to my futur self in mind when thinking philosophy.

Narag

Berserk (2016) 8

Back to the PS1 CG. I think the show's much more successful when it's leveraging the atmosphere as it nearly always takes a misstep toward anything action-oriented. There's also some really nice 2D bits (Guts grabbing Serpico's sword, a profile shot of Serpico, Isidoro screwing off, Guts reacting to losing Casca again) in this that further twist the knife in regard to the visuals the show probably should have received. I think Serpico's been my favorite part of the show so far too. Fairly enigmatic and a consistent scene stealer, he's probably the most interesting character for me.

Line_HTX

What I want:

If you're looking for something philosophical, there's Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy, Psycho Pass as others have mentioned, Haibane Renmei, maybe Kino's Journey, and maybe Wolf's Rain. They have themes in each that I think you'd find interesting.

Yea I was wasn't sure so I put the term in**, but yea my perspective of philosophy is maybe too large.
To clarify, I had the to listen or not to my futur self in mind when thinking philosophy.

I think a better term would be psychological, as Orange and ReLIFE both deal with themes of depression and social interactions.

blurr

I think a better term would be psychological, as Orange and ReLIFE both deal with themes of depression and social interactions.

Hmmm, Orange seems to be very interesting but my history with Shoujo anime in general hasn't been all that great but I'm willing to try classics or ones that are recommended.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Thunderbolt Fantasy Episode 7:

So perhaps not shockingly the final boss has appeared to merely deliver a promo before assing off back to the tower. I mean, it is only episode 7 after all and we have trials to conquer and indeed we get see the party prevail over two of them this episode. Also, the series remembers who the actual protagonist is and gives Dān Fěi some screentime as we basically get what amounts to an essay on traditional gender roles and defying said roles because sometimes all of the men in a family line are dead. Also, the blond guy is getting on my last nerve and I hope he will die soon.
Okay, so did Shāng Bù Huàn just pull a heel turn here or what?

javac

I trust whatever the 'tripfriend' menschmaschine has to say about any 'economic-bubble period' Japanese animation. Having said that, overlooking any directorial work not explicitly associated with a name like Mr. Oshii is irrelevant when marvels like episode 107 (episode 130 in the Japanese first run count) also exist.

Indeed, to deprive oneself of such works on name alone would be a shame.

Exalted

Thunderbolt Fantasy 7

I've laughed at how they resolved last week cliffhanger. Well i kinda expected that it would happen that way, but it happened in a even more blunt way that i anticipated. Shāng Bù Huàn was really unfortunate this episode, no wonder he was pissed.

Steins;Gate
From the New World
Erased
Blast of Tempest
The Future Diary
One Week Friends
Angel Beats
Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches
Kanon (2006)
School Live (no romance)

My Hero Academia is an amazing shonen series about superheroes, it has an all start cast of characters

Haikyu is an amazing sports shonen about volleyball, it is very good.

One punch man is a very good re-entry point for an old anime fans and is easily streamable on daisuki.

Gundam Iron blooded Orphans and Build fighters are 2 great mechas shows that are easy entry point in the mecha genre

If you want something more slice of life I back whoever said Hyouka.

you mean medium?

I would second these:

Steins;Gate
From the New World
Hyouka
Ping Pong The Animation
Mawaru Penguindrum
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
One-Punch Man

and recommend these as well:

My Hero Academia
Samurai Champloo
Baccano
Fate/Zero

Noragami
Parasyte -the maxim-

If you're looking for something philosophical, there's Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy, Psycho Pass as others have mentioned, Haibane Renmei, maybe Kino's Journey, and maybe Wolf's Rain. They have themes in each that I think you'd find interesting.

Thanks you, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom