• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lautaro

91 Days

Angelo best MC of the season.

I'm also pretty sure that the fourth man is
related to Corteo in some way, mayb e his father

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #44 Song of the Universe

Muhrer should have defected the second they put him on paid leave or something, what a awful commander to treat him this way. He was such a good character too.

I heard this arc/match is super bloated and a lot of people don't like this match precisely because of that. So having it condensed might actually improve over the source.

I dont know if Id agree with it being bloated or that, maybe if one has read an arc that lasted weekly in a year then it feels that way (Arc is just barely over 48 chps.) but since haikyuu episodes covered at least 4 chps per episode, I doubt the anime is going to be cutting anything out to remove a bloated feeling to it.

I think readers would have wanted more episodes to cover more of whats happening with others teams in other prefectures in their representive playoffs.

Eumi

She's a Deadly Queen,
Iron rations, clementine,
TNT with a phaser beam,
Definitely gonna blow your mind,
All the time.

Qurupeke

Yona of the Dawn 5-9

The story with the priest was boring and the joke was overused. At least, Yun is cool. Anyway, I love the interactions between Hak and Yona, they're the highlight of the show, either they're serious moments or simple jokes. Meanwhile, Soo-won seems to actually care about the kingdom and he is a pretty good king.

Mandelbo

Working!!! 14

Oh my god

That was literally perfect - I can't think of a single thing wrong with it. Really, off the top of my head, I can't think of a better send off for a SOL comedy show. All the characters are so good even if Takanashi's mother's an asshole. Definitely gonna miss them!

If anyone here hasn't watched the whole series, do it!

Alderamin - 07

Knocked it right out of the park. This show is excellent folks. I hope the girl doesn't die, since she makes for a pretty good way of us learning more about this world through Ikta. Also, their interactions are great.

Yonafunu

I heard this arc/match is super bloated and a lot of people don't like this match precisely because of that. So having it condensed might actually improve over the source.

They're not going to condense it. Compared to the Seijo match in the manga it's about twice as long, which adds up with it being twice as long in the anime as well (5 episodes for Seijo, 10 for Shiratorizawa).

Cornbread78

Working!!! 14
Oh my god
That was literally perfect - I can't think of a single thing wrong with it. Really, off the top of my head, I can't think of a better send off for a SOL comedy show. All the characters are so good even if Takanashi's mother's an asshole. Definitely gonna miss them!

If anyone here hasn't watched the whole series, do it!

Told you they do a great job wrapping up everythi g, lol. It was fun to watch it all unfold weekly last year.

Alderamin 07

I wish this would have writing a bit better than it has. I mean, I know against the average anime isn't bad, but it could been better.

FuJLy2S.png
0KtP1IQ.png
Of course their superior is an incompetent, awful and mean person, that way the teenager MC is even better in contrast, and we have a mustache-twirling villain to hate.

MC is Sherlock Holmes, he is a deus ex machina infallible genius that guess and knows everything. I enjoy stories with very smart people as protagonists, but this is just lazy writing, even very smart people have to act with imperfect information that makes them do mistakes, but in lots of anime they can make assumptions with vague information that always happen to be correct.
Here he discovers a hidden conspiracy behind the entire war in two minutes, even if redhead offers him a perfectly valid alternative reasoning. It would have felt more natural for him to admit that could be the reason, though the usage of term was slightly suspicious. But no, he is already sure.

He also correctly guesses the bad guy is not contacting Central and acting independently just because the retaliation force was a bit too fast.

Gvitor

Yowamushi Pedal 37-38 (END)

How the hell do you end a season there?

If I watched this while it aired, I would've been livid.

Cornbread78

91 Days ep.7
Avilio you are waaayyy to smart for your own good, but damn is it great to watch him absolutely destroy the families from within like this. Dude is cold as ice while set on revenge... This is good stuff.

Taruranto

Avilio is just a killer now, though. He became the same as the people he's trying to get.

I wonder if someone (Corteo?) is going to call him on that.

91 Days - 07

Dat intro scene.

It has its moments but I love that this doesn't feel like an anime story for the most part and continues to be excellent. This is fairly grounded and in the same vein as western shows. Everything from the direction, to the character interactions... Heck even Avilio as a character just doesn't feel like your average protagonist. This guy is a double crossing, evil scum with revenge only on his mind. There are drugs, sex, alcohol, power struggles, backstabbing... And it's not every season that we get a show that can do all of these things without being crap at it.

Copper

Steins;Gate 1-25 +23β

Finally got around to watching this. I'd always tried to before but always ended up getting distracted a few episodes in and never finishing it. This last week I finally ended up watching though the series and must say White Fox has easily moved up to one of my favorite studios.

The series starts starts off a little slow which may have been the reason why I have never finished it before, but once you get to certain point the series really clicks and becomes a hell of a lot more interesting.

This is how you do romance in anime. Let it drive itself as a background element and don't shy away from confrontation. For myself I was pretty satisfied with the ending but I see the beta episode really sets things up for the next season. Although It left me with a few questions.

What happens to Suzuha after Okabe leaves the time machine? How was Kurisu still alive? I'm thinking the Okabe in this timeline is the one that sends the video the original version.

I'm sure they will be answered in Steins; Gate 0 whenever it comes it out. I know the game comes out next month but I might just wait for the anime adaptation.

Future Card Buddyfight DDD [Triple D] Episode 21
CqQnKBuW8AAG8z6.jpg:small
CqQn2CmWIAAuTFX.jpg:small

Aoi Shouta being all angry is nice, loved all the Gaito focus this episode. Hopefully he does get the Dragon Force and not just give it to Gao Mikado.

Thunderbolt 7

LMAO. MC showing us why he is the main character of the show. What a badass. And at the same time this might be my favorite character from Urobuchi because the whole time these smug motherfuckers are like "Oh please don't worry you can do it" as they're sipping tea and having a laugh. I'm here all 'why doesn't this motherfucker just leave them out of spite now'
and he does at the end like "you know what fuck you guys" which is exactly what I would've done hahaha

edit: no seriously I love the ending haha, fucking gamer rage quit moment

manfestival

just watched the first episode of god eater and the animation/art reminded me of virutes last reward/zero time dilemma for some reason. show seems to have a ton of potential too. tell me friends, is it worth watching all 13?

Gvitor

91 Days 07

Damn, Avilio MC of the season indeed.

This season is really great, there are nearly 10 good anime I'm following weekly.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Thunderbolt 7

LMAO. MC showing us why he is the main character of the show. What a badass. And at the same time this might be my favorite character from Urobuchi because the whole time these smug motherfuckers are like "Oh please don't worry you can do it" as they're sipping tea and having a laugh. I'm here all 'why doesn't this motherfucker just leave them out of spite now'
and he does at the end like "you know what fuck you guys" which is exactly what I would've done hahaha

edit: no seriously I love the ending haha, fucking gamer rage quit moment

ok i will watch this

Clov

Aniplex's announcement that they were teasing was that they were bringing Doukyuusei to Yaoicon. Nothing too big.

Speaking of which, they're having a live show on Twitch now. If you want to annoy them about why they haven't released your anime of choice, now's the time! Or at least, it will be once they start the Q&A.

91 Days 7

What a terrific fucking episode. Avilio playing them like a fucking fiddle. Looks like he finally found the best way to deal with them. Tearing them limb from limb. Taking out everything and everybody that cares for them slowly and surely, what a man what a man.

The opening scene was something you'd expect from western media, I don't think it's often they show
sex, even if off screen somewhat
on chinese cartoons. Ronaldo, you smug smile motherfucker you are the worst kind of mobster. The kind that knows he's from a powerful family and instead of trying to do anything yourself every single word that comes out of your god damn mouth has to do with 'do the bidding of my family', because you know deep down without them you're nothing.

The few scenes with Fango were fantastic as usual, he's the most anime out of any of these characters but the VA is having a fucking riot voicing this guy and you can definitely tell with the way it comes off in the show. The psycho killer q'uest ce que c'est.

A lot of dialogue and puppet dancing in the episode, which of course was central to the conflict of brother vs brother, one controlled by his desire to be acknowledged the other by his desire of honor and respect. Both weren't wrong in their end goal but unfortunately in mafia you can't have two family members with these many differences get along.

If you aren' interested in the show by now this isn't going to sell you on it, but I really do absolutely love this show for continuing to deliver week after week without a drop in quality of white man's tv. This wouldn't sell gangbusters in HBO as it's a fairly tame mafia story with only a few stand out characters, but as a movie? It'd do fairly well imho. I'll recommend this to heaven and hell when people want anime to watch though, especially seinen crowds.

UDCaIxY.gif

Clov

The opening scene was something you'd expect from western media, I don't think it's often they show
sex, even if off screen somewhat
on chinese cartoons.

It's definitely not very frequent in TV anime at least. I can remember there's some implied stuff in Utena, and a particularly bizarre scene in an early episode of Kaiba. Probably the most explicit stuff I remember seeing in a TV anime was in Kemonozume.

Mind you, I'm narrowing this down to stuff that's not really... fanservicey. That's obviously a whole different ballgame.

It's definitely not very frequent in TV anime at least. I can remember there's some implied stuff in Utena, and a particularly bizarre scene in an early episode of Kaiba. Probably the most explicit stuff I remember seeing in a TV anime was in Kemonozume.

Mind you, I'm narrowing this down to stuff that's not really... fanservicey. That's obviously a whole different ballgame.

Even fan service harem tv shows tend to be everything but. But yeah the scene in Kaiba actually now that I think about is fairly fucked up.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'm so desensitized by it from The Wire and The Sopranos I didn't even consider if this was irregular in anime

Oh yes, fairly easy to do at that level of Western Media but in Japanese media in general such things are really taboo.
Just off the top of my head the inability to show drug use led to one of the worst moments of Charlotte.

Oh yes, fairly easy to do at that level of Western Media but in Japanese media in general such things are really taboo.
Just off the top of my head the inability to show drug use led to one of the worst moments of Charlotte.

Japan is extremely anti drug.

Is it an issue of censorship or if going through multiple levels of bureaucratic bullshit to be able to show it?

javac

Recommended some people to watch Ping Pong and after much deliberation they're finally thinking of doing it but...streaming with English audio. I came so close guys. I should feel happy but I feel so empty. Without the Japanese audio track...
JIb4GMD.jpg

RUINED.

Recommended some people to watch Ping Pong and after much deliberation they're finally thinking of doing it but...streaming with English audio. I came so close guys. I should feel happy but I feel so empty. Without the Japanese audio track...
JIb4GMD.jpg

RUINED.

EngDub Peco is one of my fav va's and hes so perfect for it.

Wenge is still best voice and best character, its too bad bad writing ruined him and peco's characters.

I think just culturally its something that doesn't really get shown. I'm fairly certain that getting help in Japan as a drug user is difficult because its so ostracized.

I couldn't say exactly but I do know it intensifies when you are dealing with people under 20 years of age.

Ah. I was just trying to think if it's something like with the west and cigarettes, where showing a good guy smoking anymore was like the worst thing since Hitler.

Cornbread78

These shows all have some kind of sex:

Paradise Kiss
*Monogatari
Big Order
Cross Ange
White Album
White Album 2
ef-A Tale of Memories
Green Green
Amagami SS
Itazura na Kiss