• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

I'm the highwaymaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

and I make ends meeeeeeeeeeet

I have absolutely no idea why you have posted this, but it does remind me that I bought the Australian Bluray of Over The Garden Wall last week and it's just as good as I remember it being - not necessarily in terms of narrative, but visually and musically it's wonderful.

At the same time, I bought my second copy of Psychic School Wars. I wish I could justify why I do these things instead of, you know, watching/supporting good anime, but...

I have absolutely no idea why you have posted this, but it does remind me that I bought the Australian Bluray of Over The Garden Wall last week and it's just as good as I remember it being - not necessarily in terms of narrative, but visually and musically it's wonderful.

At the same time, I bought my second copy of Psychic School Wars[/i]. I wish I could justify why I do these things instead of, you know, watching/supporting good anime, but...

hahaha that's exactly why. Someone made an LTTP thread and I started singing it in my head.
YRtvzoW.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Love Live Sunshine

Love Live has changed. It's no longer about songs, ideologies or schools. It's an endless series of idol battles, fought by school girls and dance routines. Love Live, and its consumption of life, has become a well-oiled machine. Love Live has changed. Love Live audiences watch Love Live concerts to feed their Love Live needs. Promo cards used to enhance their idol teams and look pretty on the menu screen. Ranking control. Information control. Emotion control. Wallet control. Everything that can be, is branded and consumed. Love Live has changed. The age of µ's has become the age of war. All in the name of achieving dream from the crushed hopes of others. And those who win the war, control and become history. Love Live has changed. And when the concerts become total war, war... becomes Snow Halation.

Endride Episode 19
CqU0zOIXEAAof9R.jpg:small

One of my predictions came true...

Otherwise I loved most of the episode it was like a canon Shun x Emilio date filled with love cheesy lines and a sleepover. I wanted more.

PLot
I wonder what Shun's Dad or rather Asanaga who seemed to have stole Shun...raised him and everything. I hope the mom isnt also bad too.

Mob Psycho 100 6

Some of the cutting between scenes in the first part of the episode felt too spastic for my tastes. I really liked the later parts portrayed the psychological states of Ritsu, Shinji, and Onigawara as they are under both external and internal pressure to feel self-hatred. Ritsu and Mob are a sibling pair whose relationship is built on wanting to be the other one. A dangerous path to take, as we can see by the end. I don't know where the story is going, but it seems like we're heading towards a confrontation between Ritsu and Mob, and I'd be very interested in seeing how that would go down.

Round Vernian VIFAM 46 (END)

And thus ends the journey, really fantastic mix of mecha and space survival and exploration. A kid cast (oldest was 15) was really refreshing and made for some really awesome plots and some really excellent comedy. Many episodes had good mixes of comedy and action so nothing ever felt like a drag or a waste or too ultra serious, though there were some really series and some pretty distressing moments.

Loved the paper plane finally having some relevance.

Military otaku sergeant Kents was the best, followed by Roddy and Barts and always yelling easily flusterred Scott. Maki was excellent with sergeant, and I liked Muhrer.

I want more VIFAM and TRANFAM, and Bogi.

Just T

Amaama to Inazuma: 7

Pretty good episode, Tsumugi's short little adventure with her imaginations was sweet but knew Kouhei was going to flip when he finally saw her again. I thought the scene when he caught up with them was good and seemed realistic. Also thought it was nice how Kotori was trying to make things better in her own way.

New Game: 7

Finally got an episode with a focus on Umiko and she's a pretty fun character. Hope she sticks around for the rest of the episodes.

Amanchu: 7

Nice episode, pretty much stayed in Katori's perspective which I enjoyed a lot, there is a nice balance to her character. The quick hydrangeas scene was really pretty, Pikari always finding a way to have fun with something. Also the others might have diving over Teko but she was winning that game they were playing and I like how serious they made her look.

phaze

You should watch all of the original. 2 isn't relevant.

Under my belt already.

There will be some characters in the movie you won't recognize, but they're barely in it, and not important.

So yeah, just ignore S2.

Cheers.

You can but why would you? You'll be missing out on some HILARIOUS shit.

I'm fairly fond of the last quarter of P-P and I'd prefer these memories remain unsullied.

Also, I got my fix of edgy badness with Berserk this season.

Eumi

So after my binging of the Danganronpa stuff that's probably not even gonna be important for the Despair side, I felt like booting up DR2 again to see how many little details I'd notice a second time around.

And man, it's made me realise that the animes have seriously failed to catch the style of the games. The soundtrack of the shows is no where near the godlike stuff found in the games, but what especially stands out to me is that the character designs in future are really... dull in comparison.

So just looking at the DR2 cast I get these weird twisted vibes. Not only are they this weird assortment of misfits, but the builds, the colours, the clashing art directions from character to character all just create this great blend of weird and wonderful that I could look at all day. Add the fact that the DR2 cast specifically are also a twisted parody of the DR1 cast in a lot of ways and I could go on and on about why it might be my favourite looking cast in probably anything.

And then you look at Future and it's like they somehow removed the soul from DR. I mean they all look like DR characters, but I don't feel anything from looking at any of them.

I'm no expert on character designs or anything, but I felt like I just wanted to get these thoughts down.

So after my binging of the Danganronpa stuff that's probably not even gonna be important for the Despair side, I felt like booting up DR2 again to see how many little details I'd notice a second time around.

And man, it's made me realise that the animes have seriously failed to catch the style of the games. The soundtrack of the shows is no where near the godlike stuff found in the games, but what especially stands out to me is that the character designs in future are really... dull in comparison.

So just looking at the DR2 cast I get these weird twisted vibes. Not only are they this weird assortment of misfits, but the builds, the colours, the clashing art directions from character to character all just create this great blend of weird and wonderful that I could look at all day. Add the fact that the DR2 cast specifically are also a twisted parody of the DR1 cast in a lot of ways and I could go on and on about why it might be my favourite looking cast in probably anything.

And then you look at Future and it's like they somehow removed the soul from DR. I mean they all look like DR characters, but I don't feel anything from looking at any of them.

I'm no expert on character designs or anything, but I felt like I just wanted to get these thoughts down.

It'd be pretty hard to match DR's sprites with just animation

Mailbox

So it looks like Kizumonogatari (pt1) is gonna be playing "near" me (its like an hour and a half away) but its only gonna play for 1 showing, at 12:55pm (pst) on the 28th.

Should I go and watch the movie in theaters?

Qurupeke

Yona of the Dawn 10-14
2 of the 4 members of the dragon harem gathered. The blue dragon's flashback was really nice, though it sucks that he left the village without changing anything, as the villagers continued to fear and despise him. I wonder how they'll handle his addition to the team, he's a bit too shy and I doubt he'll stand out as much as the others.

I hoped the show would delve more into the situation in the capital, the tribes' politics and Soo-won's reformation of the government, but they didn't appear at all on these episodes.

So it looks like Kizumonogatari (pt1) is gonna be playing "near" me (its like an hour and a half away) but its only gonna play for 1 showing, at 12:55pm (pst) on the 28th.

I say yes.

Eumi

I don't think it's particularly hard; it would just require an anime staff led by someone with a soul instead of Kishi.
Luckily, what little we've seen of V3 so far looks like it's back on point.

I wonder if all the good designs were used for V3 since it's almost be a easy to put them in DR3, what with half that cast getting literally minutes of screen time.

I just thought I would share this since I found two things super intesresting. 6 things about Masashi Kishimoto

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/the-list/2016-08-20/.105504

6. Masashi Kishimoto is a twin—and his brother makes manga too Masashi Kishimoto was born November 8, 1974 and is the older twin of Seishi Kishimoto. The two shared a common interest in anime and manga, both growing up watching Kinnikuman and Dragon Ball. Their mutual interest didn't stop there, as both became manga artists with similar art styles. The older brother penned the internationally beloved Naruto, while the younger brother created O-Parts Hunter and Sukedachi 09.

5. Akira led Kishimoto to become a mangaka Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira manga can be credited for introducing many Americans to manga. The anime film is also responsible for reigniting Kishimoto's interest in manga. In high school at the time, Kishimoto had taken a break from drawing in favor of baseball and other sports. However, after seeing a poster for the anime film in the late 80s, he took up the pen again. Kishimoto has since credited Otomo's work as a major influence ever since.

4. Naruto's favorite ramen shop is real It comes as no surprise that Kishimoto's favorite food is ramen. He passed this love onto his main character, who is himself named after a ramen ingredient. How much does Naruto's love of ramen mirror Kishimoto? Well, it so happens that the character's favorite in-series restaurant Ichiraku also exists in real life! Kishimoto frequented a ramen shop with the same name during his years at Kyushu Sangyo University.

3. Kishimoto is a Gundam fan Outside of Kinnikuman, Akira, and Doraemon, Kishimoto is also a fan of Yoshiyuki Tomino and Sunrise's Gundam mecha franchise. He spent a considerable amount of time in his childhood drawing characters from the shows. His love affair would continue into adulthood and the world of Naruto. The ninja Kakuzu's techniques are named after mecha, for instance his jiongu attack is taken from the MSN-02 Zeong, the zukokku attack from Z'Gok, the gian attack from YMS-15 Gyan, etc.

2. Kissing is embarrassing Plenty of fans were invested in the romantic lives of Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura, so Kishimoto had more than his fair share of fun teasing fans about it. That said, when it gets right down to it, the creator of these characters had trouble pulling the trigger when it came to PDA. Kishimoto admitted that it was due to his own embarrassment when it comes to writing romance. A glance at the epilogue chapter of the manga shows this to be true, with the main official pairings spending very little time together on the page. This was rectified with The Last -Naruto the Movie-, but Kishimoto stated again that he wasn't sure he'd even be able to watch the film's kissing scene.

1. Kishimoto is worth approximately US$20 million After running for nearly 15 years, spawning a still ongoing television anime, films, video games, and piles of merchandise, Naruto has earned its creator a net worth of approximately US$20 million. He joins the millionaire mangaka ranks alongside Eiichiro Oda, Akira Toriyama, Rumiko Takahashi, Yoshihiro Togashi, Naoko Takeuchi and Takeshi Konomi.

First I always thought O-part wars was made by him and not his brother( I did not even consider this) since the art style were soooo similar.

Second the guy is only worth 20 million? I thought he was bigger then this.

Yeah, it's worth seeing if you can. It's a very atmospheric film, so a place conducive to soaking in that is ideal.

Yona of the Dawn 10-14

2 of the 4 members of the dragon harem gathered. The blue dragon's flashback was really nice, though it sucks that he left the village without changing anything, as the villagers continued to fear and despise him. I wonder how they'll handle his addition to the team, he's a bit too shy and I doubt he'll stand out as much as the others.

I hoped the show would delve more into the situation in the capital, the tribes' politics and Soo-won's reformation of the government, but they didn't appear at all on these episodes.

The show does delve into the political situation in the country a bit more in the remaining episodes, but that never becomes the main focus in the material the anime covers.

Qurupeke

The show does delve into the political situation in the country a bit more in the remaining episodes, but that never becomes the main focus in the material the anime covers.
I see. I guess the show ends a bit after Yona manages to find all the dragons, but I'm now curious about the manga's focus after that. As far as I know, it's a pretty long manga, how many chapters have they adapted?

Wouldn't you just end up with copy/pasting sprites like with the DR1 anime

A skilled animator would certainly be capable of creating animation that can express the over-the-top extremes of Danganronpa's characters without having to do a cut and paste job.

I see. I guess the show ends a bit after Yona manages to find all the dragons, but I'm now curious about the manga's focus after that. As far as I know, it's a pretty long manga, how many chapters have they adapted?

The anime adapted the first 8 volumes out of 22 and counting.

e_i

Ange Verge episode 7

Just drop the "friends" crap already. I know all you girls want to go down on each other, especially Alma.

Battery 6

Wow. I feel like I say this every episode, but this episode was unquestionably the best one yet. The storyboarding was so good. While still fitting into the general low-key grounded tone of the series, it was overflowing with subtly creative shots. A lot of attention to close-ups, particularly ones which illustrated a character's emotional turmoil, as well as several point-of-view shots. It sold the unfolding drama completely. This is definitely my favorite episode of the summer season up to this point.

Sölf

And it does indeed get a bit more political. I really need to catch up but there are some Soo-won centric chapters that definitly flesh out the whole situation in the country, away from Yona.

Cornbread78

Handa-kun ep.7
Lol, another fun episode with classic Handa misunderstandings. The librarian is gonna be back in full force, isn't she, lol.

Clov

Battery 6

Wow. I feel like I say this every episode, but this episode was unquestionably the best one yet. The storyboarding was so good. While still fitting into the general low-key grounded tone of the series, it was overflowing with subtly creative shots. A lot of attention to close-ups, particularly ones which illustrated a character's emotional turmoil, as well as several point-of-view shots. It sold the unfolding drama completely. This is definitely my favorite episode of the summer season up to this point.

You know, I still can't help but feel a bit lukewarm on this show. It's far from bad, but it's not resonating with me very well. A big part of it might just be the subject matter; I just don't care about baseball. Plenty of other shows that I like deal with mundane subjects, but I at least am interested in them, whether it be fashion or university life. If I have no interest in the subject at all, there's usually still something that keeps me watching. Dezaki's melodrama in Aim for the Ace kept me engaged despite my lack of interest in tennis, for example.

Then there's the matter of visuals; when it comes to animation, I always have a preference for more surreal or abstract visuals. They can elevate even a story dealing with something entirely mundane to fantastic heights (look at Ping-Pong, for example). It really helps me get engaged with a show. It also helps me connect with the characters better, to understand their obsessions a little more. Obviously not all shows have or need that, but it often makes it more appealing to me.

It might be one or both of these things, but for one reason or another it's just not clicking with me. I feel that it's definitely good, but I certainly couldn't bring myself to call it the anime of the season.

Gvitor

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road 01-03

I was prepared to say the chin-as-brake thing Midousuji pulled was one of the worst things I ever watched in anime, but the tooth breaking takes the cake. They tried to invoke feelings with the flashback, but not only it sucked, its repercussion in the present race results was nothing short of ridiculous.

I wish we could just get rid of this character altogether, but judging by the opening, I'm thinking we're getting another clone down the road.

You know, I still can't help but feel a bit lukewarm on this show. It's far from bad, but it's not resonating with me very well. A big part of it might just be the subject matter; I just don't care about baseball. Plenty of other shows that I like deal with mundane subjects, but I at least am interested in them, whether it be fashion or university life. If I have no interest in the subject at all, there's usually still something that keeps me watching. Dezaki's melodrama in Aim for the Ace kept me engaged despite my lack of interest in tennis, for example.

Then there's the matter of visuals; when it comes to animation, I always have a preference for more surreal or abstract visuals. They can elevate even a story dealing with something entirely mundane to fantastic heights (look at Ping-Pong, for example). It really helps me get engaged with a show. It also helps me connect with the characters better, to understand their obsessions a little more. Obviously not all shows have or need that, but it often makes it more appealing to me.

It might be one or both of these things, but for one reason or another it's just not clicking with me. I feel that it's definitely good, but I certainly couldn't bring myself to call it the anime of the season.
I don't really understand why baseball would be such a barrier for this show when it rarely gets specific with the sport or spends much time showing it. Baseball matters only so much in how it affects the characters.

Fafner Exodus 1 (BD full version)

This was worth watching, as the extra scenes added from the broadcast version were valuable, especially the expansion of the Hawaii attack. It drove home the horror of the Festum even harder, especially with the brutality of Rob's assimilation and the subsequent fallout. There were some very sickening images.

On another note, it feels good to be able to say that Fafner deserves Tsuneyoshi Saito's Romantic piano concertos now. In the original series Saito's music carried a gravitas that the rest of the show wasn't able to match, but now it can. That's due both to the cinematic scope of the visuals, especially in the digital photography and CG use, as well as having actual characters who feel like real people instead of ciphers. It now feels like a unified and strong spoken creative vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom