• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

kiEYcW6.png

Are you trying to pick on a show ranked in the 600's now?

Leave Hestia alone!

zulux21

Critical discussions here about MAL end up about the same as discussions about Key here (not quite as hated as SAO discussions though)

I just get a good laugh when ever someone brings up their ratings/rankings here because they are completely dismissed as garbage and useless immediately. Regardless of the minor issues involved in their ratings, they do give a decent "snapshot" (with a large sample size) of how the anime community looks at a show.

It's not the "anime ratings gospel" at all, just a good reference point.

yup, far from perfect, but if you follow it long enough you know how to adjust the scores to your liking.

oh this is a light novel, I need to add .5 points to the score because people tend to pointlessly hate them.

oh this is a 4 girls student show, i need to subtract 2 points from the average because they drive me nuts.

oh Moe -1 point
boob focus -1 point
Shojo + 1 point.
yuri -1 point
yaoi +1 point
ect.

after you adjust for your tastes compared to the greater communities it can be a great get an idea of what shows are worth checking out. I don't have time to check out everything, and quite frankly I can't trust most of your guys tastes in here because we don't remotely have similar tastes, thus I have far better luck with MAL :p

Note: guy on guy action doesn't excite me, it just tends to be rated down by people that can't handle it, meanwhile crappy yuri story lines get rated up because people think it is hot.

Are you trying to pick on a show ranked in the 600's now?

Leave Hestia alone!

it's rated to low. it should at least be above EVA.

and I am actually being mostly serious here as dungeon was way more enjoyable to watch than EVA :p

that being said I will likely be watching both in the next few months. Eva rewatch after 10 years to see if I enjoy it better the second time knowing how much I am going to hate most of the cast. or dungeon with a dub (as I think that one got licensed... if not.. then sad face)

zulux21

forgot I watched the first episode of thunderbolt and alderman.

thunderbolt was pretty generic but thanks to puppets I will watch the next episode.
alderman was pretty standard, but I am willing to watch another episode.

Jex

MAL ratings might be a decent way of getting a snapshot of what the "larger anime community" thinks (whatever that's worth), but it's not a great measure of quality, just as Metacritic isn't going to be a definitive measure of the quality of a video game.

Appeals to authority are a shitty substitute for actual critical discussion.
MAL isn't even as a 'authoritative' as Metacritic. At the very least, Metacritic scores are based on reviews by people whose job it is to review games. Whatever you think of 'games journalists', they are a far better at reviewing and critiquing games than the average MAL reviewer is at critiquing anime. MAL is like Metacritic if you only had the User Score section.

MAL is almost 100% useless as a measure of anything other than popularity, which you can measure using a variety of other methods. Which would be fine, except that people see all the rankings and numbers on MAL and think that it actually means something about an anime's quality.

Quasar

MAL isn't even as a 'authoritative' as Metacritic. At the very least, Metacritic scores are based on reviews by people whose job it is to review games. Whatever you think of 'games journalists', they are a far better at reviewing and critiquing games than the average MAL reviewer is at critiquing anime. MAL is like Metacritic if you only had the User Score section.

MAL is almost 100% useless as a measure of anything other than popularity, which you can measure using a variety of other methods. Which would be fine, except that people see all the rankings and numbers on MAL and think that it actually means something about an anime's quality.

Its like every other audience rating thing. No different to amazon ratings, imdb, netflix, or anything else.

If anything my gripe is that it suffers from videogames ratings in terms of the numbers, with 7's being used for 5's. So for me its more useful for the order of things and collecting like things. When I was getting into anime, being able to order things in a genre by ratings was helpful once I'd worked out which genres I liked.

As for quality, well thats in the eye of the beholder. I still find it curious how unlike anime and film, with videogames reviewers tend to agree with the public.

Ascheroth

forgot I watched the first episode of thunderbolt and alderman.

thunderbolt was pretty generic but thanks to puppets I will watch the next episode.
alderman was pretty standard, but I am willing to watch another episode.
Alderamin picks up a lot with the second episode and only gets better. The first episode is easily the slowest due to it introducing all the characters and setting up the situation.
It's one of my favorites of this season.

So go watch the next episode already :p

Branduil

What's the deal with the new trend of the "dirty" outlines on the characters?

It's a stylistic choice to show the raw pencil lines that's only really become possibly in the last few years, I think. Before that computer scanning was too primitive/low-res and physical cels required painted lines obviously.

It's more like some people were watching some blu-ray transfers of old anime and went overboard with replicating the way the outlines looked in them.

Erigu

>グランブルーファンタジー ジ・アニメーション48話の予定 4クール分もある
Total 48 episodes, split to 4 different cours
It could also be four cours in a row. It doesn't really say.

Quasar

Foodwars 2.08 - Actually liked Alices mums voice actress. Normally dont like brroken japanese in anime just this worked for me for some reason. Also this non contest episode reminded me of why I've not enjoyed this season as much as last.

Also.

Wow. How far might it go. Guess I need to get pass ch29.

Gran is fantastic.

Also.

What's the source for this?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Shokugeki was good. I'm glad things are moving fast and that we are already starting the last match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom