• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

I don't really understand why baseball would be such a barrier for this show when it rarely gets specific with the sport or spends much time showing it. Baseball matters only so much in how it affects the characters.

Yeah, that's what's getting me. I can't bring myself to care about the characters, and I think a big part of that is that I'm not interested in their obsession. The show doesn't focus much on the playing of the sport itself, but it's everything to these characters. It just brings up a big emotional blank in me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

You know, I still can't help but feel a bit lukewarm on this show. It's far from bad, but it's not resonating with me very well. A big part of it might just be the subject matter; I just don't care about baseball. Plenty of other shows that I like deal with mundane subjects, but I at least am interested in them, whether it be fashion or university life. If I have no interest in the subject at all, there's usually still something that keeps me watching. Dezaki's melodrama in Aim for the Ace kept me engaged despite my lack of interest in tennis, for example.

Then there's the matter of visuals; when it comes to animation, I always have a preference for more surreal or abstract visuals. They can elevate even a story dealing with something entirely mundane to fantastic heights (look at Ping-Pong, for example). It really helps me get engaged with a show. It also helps me connect with the characters better, to understand their obsessions a little more. Obviously not all shows have or need that, but it often makes it more appealing to me.

It might be one or both of these things, but for one reason or another it's just not clicking with me. I feel that it's definitely good, but I certainly couldn't bring myself to call it the anime of the season.

I don't care about baseball as a sport either, but I really like intimate character drama, so Battery is right up my alley. I can understand preferring more wild, less realistic visuals, and I certainly have no problem with them myself, but I enjoy shows which can execute a grounded visual style well too. Battery didn't click for me right away, but my investment in it has steadily grown each episode. It's too bad it isn't working for you.

While we still have about half the season to go, at this point there isn't another show I've seen that I would definitely prefer over Battery. Mob Psycho 100 is good - I appreciate its experimental approach to animation and there's some interesting character work going on - but its humor continues to not gel with me and so I can't say I'm 100% invested in it. Orange is at the point where the character art is bad enough that it's actively harming the show. Diamond is Unbreakable would be the closest contender - I really enjoy what the show is doing overall - but it doesn't have quite the same emotional engagement with me. So yeah, for right now, Battery is my favorite airing anime.

Handa-kun - 07

Poor Handa, one more maniac to add to the list.

While we still have about half the season to go, at this point there isn't another show I've seen that I would definitely prefer over Battery. Mob Psycho 100 is good - I appreciate its experimental approach to animation and there's some interesting character work going on - but its humor continues to not gel with me and so I can't say I'm 100% invested in it. Orange is at the point where the character art is bad enough that it's actively harming the show. Diamond is Unbreakable would be the closest contender - I really enjoy what the show is doing overall - but it doesn't have quite the same emotional engagement with me. So yeah, for right now, Battery is my favorite airing anime.

I'm surprised that you aren't watching 91 Days, it is easily one of the top shows this season.

Clov

I don't care about baseball as a sport either, but I really like intimate character drama, so Battery is right up my alley. I can understand preferring more wild, less realistic visuals, and I certainly have no problem with them myself, but I enjoy shows which can execute a grounded visual style well too. Battery didn't click for me right away, but my investment in it has steadily grown each episode. It's too bad it isn't working for you.

I'm perfectly fine with more grounded visual styles, and I love character drama as well. This year's Rakugo Shinjuu really resonated with me; I was interested in the art of rakugo, and the characters were very interesting (among the many other things that show did right). For one reason or another, I haven't found myself as interested in the cast of Battery. There's still time though; maybe something will click in a later episode for me.

In terms of my anime of the season, I can look moments of poor character art in Orange. Hamasaki's direction and the story are proving enough to keep me engaged. It's emotional, but it doesn't feel dishonest. My runner up would be Mob Psycho for its incredible animation alone, though like you the humor doesn't work for me 100% of the time.

I'm surprised that you aren't watching 91 Days, it is easily one of the top shows this season.

Has this improved a lot lately because the first 4 or 5 episodes were unexceptional?

I'd probably agree with hosanna that Battery is the best thing airing this season. The last few episodes of Orange have declined enough that I'm not as high on it as I was earlier.

I watched the first episode but haven't continued. I'm interested in watching it more, but since seeing some of the animation errors that have cropped up I'd rather wait for the BDs at this point. That'll also allow me to see others' impressions of whether the ending is successful or not.

I will say, it's a bit funny seeing people praise 91 Days for not being "anime" and instead being in the vein of American TV shows. Not that I hate America or anything, but if I wanted to watch an American TV show I could just, you know, watch an American TV show.

Soma S2 - 08

This episode was epic. For the first time in a while we were basically inside Soma's head as he prepares for the final. I like these preparation episodes a lot.

Has this improved a lot lately because the first 4 or 5 episodes were unexceptional?

I'd probably agree with hosanna that Battery is the best thing airing this season. The last few episodes of Orange have declined enough that I'm not as high on it as I was earlier.

I watched the first episode but haven't continued. I'm interested in watching it more, but since seeing some of the animation errors that have cropped up I'd rather wait for the BDs at this point. That'll also allow me to see others' impressions of whether the ending is successful or not.

I will say, it's a bit funny seeing people praise 91 Days for not being "anime" and instead being in the vein of American TV shows. Not that I hate America or anything, but if I wanted to watch an American TV show I could just, you know, watch an American TV show.

The show has only imporved, this week was definitely the best 91 Days has delievered thus far. The character intrigue is quite great, as is the writing. So often do I enjoy something but can't help but shake my head at some of the cheesy/anime af things that characters say in what should be serious moments. This show has none of that, and it is really as you said hosanna, this feels like watching an emrican show through the lens of an anime. You could film this with the exact same angles, use the exact same script with american actors, and this would easily be a hit over here.

Gvitor

Oh well, I think this is one of the best seasons in a while. And I haven't watched Battery.

91 Days, Alderamin, Re:Zero are great every week.
ReLife aired all at once and it's probably gonna be on the top of this season for me.
Shokugeki and Mob Psycho have some low points (the first due to pacing and I fully agree with you on the bad humour in the second), but they have some highs.
I hate Orange main relationship push, but it's still a good watch for the other scenes.
There's also the Danganronpa shows if you are into the games, but they get a little too overboard.
And Sweetness and Lightning to fill that calm anime day Flying Witch took over last season.

A couple of seasons back I was watching like, 3 anime and 2 were based on harem LNs. I'm certainly not complaining about this one.

And it's not like mafia stories are hard to find in western tv/cinema. 91 Days from what I watched was just a mediocre one of those and it's hard to say you wouldn't be better served finding better stories like it elsewhere.

A couple of seasons back I was watching like, 3 anime and 2 were based on harem LNs. I'm certainly not complaining about this one.

I'm not complaining about the season, simply saying that I like Battery the most. I forgot that ReLIFE is technically still airing, since it released on streaming services in a single batch, but that was quite good as well. Its visual mediocrity holds it back compared to Battery, however.

Clov

Urusei Yatsura 037

In which the show really shows its age both in good and bad ways. That dance between Lum and the Red Mantle was pretty funny to watch.

Still enjoying myself overall so far! I feel like the show's started moving away from having episode endings where everything gets ruined or destroyed by the conclusion now. It's too bad, since I liked those endings. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
And it's not like mafia stories are hard to find in western tv/cinema. 91 Days from what I watched was just a mediocre one of those and it's hard to say you wouldn't be better served finding better stories like it elsewhere.

I do have to admit that this being a mafia story by way of anime is one reason I like it. That is to say I like it when the medium challenges itself and this is one way of doing it.

Thoraxes

If you want sex in anime just watch some ero you dirty bastards.

Kanojo x Kanojo x Kanojo BD release this month get hyyyypeeeee

Not that I would know what that is or anything... And definitely would not recommend people google it because it's NSFW.

Cornbread78

Kanojo x Kanojo x Kanojo BD release this month get hyyyypeeeee

Not that I would know what that is or anything... And definitely would not recommend people google it because it's NSFW.

Curiosity is a bitch, lol:

a handsome boy who is considerably strong, due to his fishing experience on the island. He is generally calm and collected. Shiki moves into a relative's house after a volcanic eruption occurs on his home island, and in the relative's house, there are three beautiful sisters who happen to be his childhood friends....

The setup is already there, lol.

Ok, back to playing Tales of Xillia2

Yeah the jokes of reviewing western tv/movies in the anime thread has been here for a while.

I remember when people would get pissed when we turned the titles into Japanese lmao

Narag

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 - 1
FLxLDKT.jpg

Been reading a lot of detective fiction lately so that got me in the mood for some old fashioned mystery anime.

Is it already fall season?

God, I can't stand how bad the past two seasons were. Without the various movie releases I would say that 2016 was a mistake.

zulux21

Is it already fall season?

God, I can't stand how bad the past two seasons were. Without the various movie releases I would say that 2016 was a mistake.

idk 2016 has been pretty good. last two years really have been decently week.

and at the very least MAL agrees with me :3

aka 6 of the top 100 rated anime on MAL came out this year. not a bad amount at all :3

and we got a puppet show that isn't horrible... that alone saves 2016 :p

Cornbread78

idk 2016 has been pretty good. last two years really have been decently week.

and at the very least MAL agrees with me :3

aka 6 of the top 100 rated anime on MAL came out this year. not a bad amount at all :3

and we got a puppet show that isn't horrible... that alone saves 2016 :p

C'mon dude... Don't get them started on MAL's "ratings"

Lol

Cornbread78

but I am bored and waiting for my sleeping pills to kick in >.>;
:p

But, but, but, MAL's ratings are based off a 100,000+ (in many cases) casual pleebs feelings on an anine and in no way represents the larger anime communities feelings, nor does it speek for a shows popularity, quality or entertainment value...

zulux21

Anime worse than the second season of soma:
HSxcpEa.png

qA9tfxc.png

PQ5hs9l.png

bUIl6Er.png

Well they got this one right at least:
udFQwpq.png

I think I would legit agree that all of those are less special to me than soma :p

But, but, but, MAL's ratings are based off a 100,000+ casual pleebs feelings on an anine and in no way represents the larger anime communities feelings, nor does it speek for a shows popularity, quality or entertainment value...

you forgot how it makes anime worse by existing.
if MAL didn't exist anime in general would be better off.

Narag

But, but, but, MAL's ratings are based off a 100,000+ casual pleebs feelings on an anine and in no way represents the larger anime communities feelings, nor does it speek for a shows popularity, quality or entertainment value...

won't somebody think of the fun factor

sonicmj1

C'mon dude... Don't get them started on MAL's "ratings"

Lol

But, but, but, MAL's ratings are based off a 100,000+ (in many cases) casual pleebs feelings on an anine and in no way represents the larger anime communities feelings, nor does it speek for a shows popularity, quality or entertainment value...

MAL ratings might be a decent way of getting a snapshot of what the "larger anime community" thinks (whatever that's worth), but it's not a great measure of quality, just as Metacritic isn't going to be a definitive measure of the quality of a video game.

Appeals to authority are a shitty substitute for actual critical discussion.

zulux21

guys what should i go see tomorrow

the masses say ben-hur is p. good here

dnJMBln.png

kubo.

Only blind idiots will use MAL to judge something just like how idots use metacritc for video games.

snapshot scores are always pointless, but they do allow to focus you if you know how to adjust scores, and in general do a great job of offering you extra resources to formulate an opinion if you would enjoy it aka user reviews are great :p

Cornbread78

MAL ratings might be a decent way of getting a snapshot of what the "larger anime community" thinks (whatever that's worth), but it's not a great measure of quality, just as Metacritic isn't going to be a definitive measure of the quality of a video game.

Appeals to authority are a shitty substitute for actual critical discussion.

Critical discussions here about MAL end up about the same as discussions about Key here (not quite as hated as SAO discussions though)

I just get a good laugh when ever someone brings up their ratings/rankings here because they are completely dismissed as garbage and useless immediately. Regardless of the minor issues involved in their ratings, they do give a decent "snapshot" (with a large sample size) of how the anime community looks at a show.

It's not the "anime ratings gospel" at all, just a good reference point.

guys what should i go see tomorrow
the masses say ben-hur is p. good here

Tough call, Ben-hur for historical action and Kubo just because it looks funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom