• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardcaptor Sakura 09-15

All that needs to be noted so far is that Li is the best character in the show and should get all the cards so that he can do more cool things with them.
Also I didn't catch this the first time I watched this series but I'm getting the strong vibe that Sakura's brother and Yukito are secretly into each other, but maybe I'm just imagining things.
Syaoran Li is the best and as the series continues he just keeps getting better. He is probably my favourite CLAMP character. I watched it dub and hearing him scream "GOD OF THUNDER come to my aid" always sent this *oh he's so cool* feeling through me.

Just finished watching Toradora. I was really enjoying the pacing of the show as well as the characters but that ending... it feels like there should be another few episodes to build up and expand on the events of the last episode. I'm fine that there was no big reunion between the cast but half the cast gets no real follow-up.
Also, I find it amusing Haruta
somehow managed to get a girlfriend with relative ease while the main cast go through 20+ episodes of struggles.

With that being said, any recommendations for a drama that has a satisfying conclusion? I don't mind the topic, I'm just asking for something with a decent story that starts, does its thing, and ends.

Line_HTX

There wasn't enough Mission Impossible music and Nancy "Miss Deep", though I've only seen the OVA so I'm not sure how different it is from the TV series.

Aki-at

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 21

Last two episodes weren't the best for JoJo after it hit it's stiller run from 10 onwards. Kira though seems really did shine in the weirdness/creepy factor and makes up for some disappointing artwork this episode.

Chase17

Re:Zero 21

This show is wearing extremely thin for me. It's not a good sign when the only reason I'm still following a show is "Well, I've made it this far and it's almost over I guess." There were plotlines and characters that I was interested in, but I don't really give a shit anymore. Rem's a caricature. Subaru is as unlikable as ever, and he's one of those characters that makes everyone around him worse by proxy of being near Subaru like Rem and Crusch. Ram, Beatrice and Puck don't exist anymore. Nothing ever gets resolved and stuff just keeps piling up as a distraction like Attack on Titan so why the fuck am I watching this. The dialogue is also really grating to me, like come on. If I hear "do u like flowerz" or "why do you wield the sword" one more fucking time I'm going to flip.

So why don't I drop it? Too bad I just did. Shows a waste of time.
Pretty much where I stand.

Ascheroth

Re:Zero #21

Great battle, but the aftermath was even better. Nice to see that Subaru has accomplished something now.
But I really hope that his obsession with Emilia and making her the ruler is because of the curse, because I'm firmly in camp Crusch for ruler. The way she casually used dissing Subaru as a motivational speech was glorious lol.
Now vs the Witch cultists. Looking forward to more Beetlejuice.
Don't really like the direction Rems character took though. But, well. The other parts are great enough that I can handwave some stuff away ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And hopefully Subaru doesn't instantly lose all his cred next episode with his petty jealousy.

Andrew J.

I'm gonna have to watch Re:Zero to stay culturally literate here, aren't I? Maybe I'll save it for a pre-AOTY voting catchup marathon...

Syrinx

Aikatsu! Stars 17

I don't get how Ako is the best first year in the acting class.

Aikatsu! Stars 18

I was wondering what exactly Yuri was. I wasn't really even completely sure she was an idol. I'm frankly not sure how she is one either, seeing all the menial wprk she and the othwr admins do. Still, good to know.

Aikatsi! Stars 19

This franchise has always been best in these over-the-top, absurd episodes. The dance class having their "Yuzu wandered off" protocol and bazooka net, then her riding in on a fucking ostrich made this probably the best Stars episode.

Too bad Yuzu is probably relegated to least featured of S4 since the rest of the dance class are chumps.

Cornbread78

I'm gonna have to watch Re:Zero to stay culturally literate here, aren't I? Maybe I'll save it for a pre-AOTY voting catchup marathon...

Yes, yes you should watch it!

Just finished watching Toradora. I was really enjoying the pacing of the show as well as the characters but that ending... it feels like there should be another few episodes to build up and expand on the events of the last episode. I'm fine that there was no big reunion between the cast but half the cast gets no real follow-up.
somehow managed to get a girlfriend with relative ease while the main cast go through 20+ episodes of struggles.

With that being said, any recommendations for a drama that has a satisfying conclusion? I don't mind the topic, I'm just asking for something with a decent story that starts, does its thing, and ends.

Right up my alley here, lol:

- Clannad/Clannad After Story
- Little Busters!
- Kanon(2006)
- Itazura na Kiss
- Rumbling Hearts
- Angel Beats
- Kimikiss Pure Rouge
- True Tears
- Myself; Yourself
- Nodame Cantabile
- Plastic Memories
- Rec
- ef: A Tale of Memories

These all have endings, some may be happy, sad or indifferent, but they all have satisfying conclusions.

phaze

Every mention of that ending and what Taiga pulled there still triggers me lol.

Drama is well .. a broad term, in terms of things somewhat romance related I would recommend checking out 5 cm per second (hour long movie), The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (movie), Tatami Galaxy (Tv Show one cour)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Most people will have moved on to a new waifu show next season. There's no need to worry about "thread culture".

You're better off watching the Laws of Eternity for that. Not only will you be cultured, you'll be enlightened too.

SuperSah

Banned
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread but I'll go on anyways.

I've recently been getting back into anime with time off and am currently watching Kill la Kill. I'm halfway through and it's utterly fantastic. I'm really enjoying it (so much I caved in and bought Satsuki's Figma, but Ryuko's is too expensive).

So what should I watch afterwards? I've heard Re:Zero is a must watch, anything else? I like the action of Kill la Kill but I appreciate more so the relationship aspect with the charming characters.

Recommendations please! :D

I've recently been getting back into anime with time off and am currently watching Kill la Kill. I'm halfway through and it's utterly fantastic. I'm really enjoying it (so much I caved in and bought Satsuki's Figma, but Ryuko's is too expensive).

So what should I watch afterwards? I've heard Re:Zero is a must watch, anything else? I like the action of Kill la Kill but I appreciate more so the relationship aspect with the charming characters.

Watch Gurren Lagann if you haven't.
And uh... Steins;Gate I guess.

Qurupeke

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Little Witch Academia (It's two movies)
Space Patrol Luluco
Kyousougiga

Start with these!

If you like Kill la Kill, you will most definetly like Gurren Lagann if you haven't seen it.

Madoka Magica is also an excellent show that is best viewed the little you know about it.

Gundam Build Fighters is also excellent if you want a fun mecha show and the second best show in the series.

Cornbread78

LOL, I hated that ending at first as well. I mean, it's grown on me over time (as I've experienced many incomplete and/or $hit endings) and I can appreciate the understated nuances of the situation (what Taiga did and why) however, that will never remove that initial frustration of it, lol.

Cornbread78

You're definitely in the right place, lol.

What genre shows are you looking to watch? Action, comedy, adventure, fantasy, romance?

It's a big big world out there brotha.

Have you watched Full Metal Alchemist; Brotherhood as of yet?

Some other good ones:
- Gurren Laggan
- Eureka 7
- Barakamon
- Fate/Zero
- Angel Beats!
- Blast of Tempest

I'll think of more when I get out of this meeting, lol.

My Hero Academia is an amazing superheroes anime with a very good cast of characters

If you liked Kill la kill try other Trigger shows like Gurren Laggan or the recent Kiznaiver

One punch man is amazing and so is the currently airing Mob psycho 100

Gundam build fighters and Gundam build fighters try are very action heavy and a very fun watch.

Fate/Zero and the currently airing Talea of Zestiria are good too.

These are all show with great actions and a very strong cast of characters.

Line_HTX

I never got halfway through Toradora because it just seemed like the most boring Rie Kugimiya show, which is vastly different than some of her other shows where her character along with the setting and story was unbearably bad.

Jintor

See I was unafflicted by the curse of knowing who she was so none of that shit matters.

I knew i liked the show when she beat up the lamppost

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Tora! Dora! Dora! just confused me. Depicting the Pearl Habor bombing as a high school drama was a very strange decision. So much so that the story they're trying to tell gets completely lost that most probably don't realise that it's meant to be a dramatisation of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Toradora is just another boring Kugiloli show from that era. Same romantic trash anime as Zero no Tsukaima.

Whatever else you can say about Toradora it doesn't have an extended arc about how war criminals sometimes feel real bad about the things they did and suffered absolutely no consequences for but are really ace people in the end. Fuck Zero no Tsukaima.

Aki-at

Drama is well .. a broad term, in terms of things somewhat romance related I would recommend checking out 5 cm per second (hour long movie), The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (movie), Tatami Galaxy (Tv Show one cour)

I was really enjoying this show until the last 8 or so episodes. The pacing was great but going from friends to lovers in such a short space of time felt way too rushed. Not that it wouldn't be believable but I felt for that final arc they needed a few more episodes and how they got there, saving her from a snow storm and then running away from family, just irked me too much that it hurt my overall impression for the show.

Also
I kind of found it funny how Taiga put nothing in for a future when her teacher asked because she was like "I don't have to worry about anything, my family is rich!" not sure that type of girl is a keeper haha.

Line_HTX

Toradora is just another boring Kugiloli show from that era. Same romantic trash anime as Zero no Tsukaima.

I kind of liked Shana, Hayate the Combat Butler, and to an extent Aria the Scarlet Ammo, but Familiar of Zero was unwatchable bad and Louise has to be the worst of all time.

:lol

Qvoth

arslan senki s2
it ended with 8 episodes? damn that's short
wtzgU.gif

Right up my alley here, lol:
- Kanon(2006)
- Itazura na Kiss
- Rumbling Hearts
- Kimikiss Pure Rouge
- True Tears
- Myself; Yourself
- Nodame Cantabile
- Plastic Memories
- Rec
- ef: A Tale of Memories

These all have endings, some may be happy, sad or indifferent, but they all have satisfying conclusions.
I quite enjoyed clannad and angel beats so if these are around that level that's a good list to look into. I don't mind if the ending is happy or tragic as long as it makes sense within the story and isn't inflicting pain for the sake of it, I'm cool with it.

While I didn't mind the ending for Taiga, I think I'll probably soon look back on the series as a whole and begin to dislike some if the core narrative. Only saw the first part of 5cm when it was in crunchyroll a while back but was enjoying it. I've seen a few posts for TGWLTT and tatami when I've checked in here so I guess I'll look into those as well.

Thanks for the recommendations

I quite enjoyed clannad and angel beats so if these are around that level that's a good list to look into. I don't mind if the ending is happy or tragic as long as it makes sense within the story and isn't inflicting pain for the sake of it, I'm cool with it.

Then Kanon 2006 is a must watch!

JulianImp

Re:Zero #21

That was good for the most part, even though the show's formula is indeed wearing thin. Surrounding Subaru with ever-increasing despair before killing him a couple times, and then have a final loop where he mans up and fixes everything is getting pretty stale by now, and it doesn't feel like it could actually carry the show all the way to Emilia becoming ruler or anything.

Also, "gochisousama"? For heaven's sake, Rem, stop flanderizing yourself even further into being just a character with a hopeless crush! Subaru becoming the sole reason for her existence reminds me of Asuna, only the latter was much more self-sufficient prior to falling for her show's MC, at the very least.

I kind of liked Shana, Hayate the Combat Butler, and to an extent Aria the Scarlet Ammo, but Familiar of Zero was unwatchable bad and Louise has to be the worst of all time.

:lol

Hayate the Combat Butler's first two seasons are brilliant madcap Looney Tunes stuff and the show never even hints that Hayate has any romantic interest in Nagi at any point so I always cringe when I see it lumped in as a 'Kugiloli'. I haven't seen Shana, Aria was kind of bad but yeah FoZ can go burn in a fire aside from it's war criminal apologia, the central 'romance' is resolved by the end of S01 but there's 3 more seasons of hilarious misunderstandings to come!

Sölf;214567290 said:
Also, there only exists a single season of Zero no Tsukaima. Such a shame, S1 was pretty cool. So sad they never made more.

You know it works much better as a show if you adopt this attitude!

Then Kanon 2006 is a must watch!
The eyes always kinda put me off but what the heck,I'll give it a shot.

Sölf;214567290 said:
Welp, it's official: Your opinion is trash.

Also, there only exists a single season of Zero no Tsukaima. Such a shame, S1 was pretty cool. So sad they never made more.
Maybe it'll get more once the novel finishes
:p I'm of the opinion to change season 2 to lead up to the marriage more then have saito die in that final scene,or at least super injured

Sölf

Line_HTX

What I remember of Shana is God awful but I wasn't really thinking critically at the time I was exposed to that show

She wasn't drop worthy bad IIRC. The only thing that's stupid and bad is how OP she is in Dengeki Ignition. God, I wish Shana and Kirino get hit with the biggest nerfhammer so bad.

blurr

Death Parade 03-05

This show has really neat production quality - occasionally get to see great sequences of character animation much like the first episode with people frustrated or expressing bouts of rage. Episode 5 had an small action sequence which was great to watch. To add to this, the character designs so far look cool.

Thematically, it plays on death, regret, guilt, judgement etc which I honestly feel like could make for a lot more interesting stories than what I've seen. So far they feel a bit too straight forward or just not interesting enough which would've been fine but the good and bad judgement that comes in after that is a bit of a difficult concept for me to digest. I've spoken about this earlier and I hoped I would grow to like or understand it better eventually but it reaches out to a point that it makes me question my perception of the moral quality of a human (which is a good thing for a show to accomplish but not entirely in this case). Regardless of what exactly it is, it is arguably different from how the show interprets and judges which is through a flimsy test citing that "darkness" needs to be revealed or bringing out the worst of a person which IMO feels shallow for something along the lines of a "heaven or hell" judgement. I could write it away as plot device material but frankly this is a bit too much for me considering the strength of the narrative/drama I'm getting in return isn't compelling, at least so far.

Episode 5 seems to have shifted from the judgement narrative and indulges in the show's own mythos a bit. The entire process is set up by so called non-humans or as it implied, the remnants of angels. The backstage of death run by eccentrics, laidback and a serious crew. The biggest revelation however is that the woman in black had been a subject of judgment but it was delayed over her somehow remembering that she had died and Decim the bartender had no means to judge her with that in mind - I went wow over here.

World building needn't be explicit but I think it can do better than that even if it is implicit.

Perhaps the entire test is as flawed as it is depicted. As Decim puts it, "your life wasn't fair either" but if that is the case, it would be interesting but so far I have not seen implications that support that theory.

Sölf;214567290 said:

Pish posh this isn't the first time I've said I don't like the show.

Sölf

Hayate is really great. It's comedy gold. I am reading the manga now (at least the english version, which is like 200+ chapters behind xD). If you lump Hayate together with Zero no Tsukaima, Toradora and Shana, you can add Gintama to that list as well because Kugimiya voices Kagura, who is essentially also a loli. And that just doesn't work.

As for ZnT, I watched S1 and S2 and the first 1 or 2 episodes of S3. There was always fanservice in it, but S1 still felt like a funny adventure anime and S2 felt like half the episodes were useless filler and the other half was similar to what I liked. But then S3 came and took the worst parts of S2 and expanded on that. So, yeah, I really think the first season of ZnT is good, but afterwards you can forget anything else exists.

Tuck

Death Parade 03-05

This show has really neat production quality - occasionally get to see great sequences of character animation much like the first episode with people frustrated or expressing bouts of rage. Episode 5 had an small action sequence which was great to watch. To add to this, the character designs so far look cool.

Thematically, it plays on death, regret, guilt, judgement etc which I honestly feel like could make for a lot more interesting stories than what I've seen. So far they feel a bit too straight forward or just not interesting enough which would've been fine but the good and bad judgement that comes in after that is a bit of a difficult concept for me to digest. I've spoken about this earlier and I hoped I would grow to like or understand it better eventually but it reaches out to a point that it makes me question my perception of the moral quality human (which is a good thing for a show to accomplish but not entirely in this case). Regardless of what exactly it is, it is arguably different from how the show interprets and judges which is through a flimsy test citing that "darkness" needs to be revealed or bringing out the worst of a person which IMO feels shallow for something along the lines of a "heaven or hell" judgement. I could write it away as plot device material but frankly this is a bit too much for me considering the strength of the narrative/drama I'm getting in return isn't compelling, at least so far.

Episode 5 seems to have shifted from the judgement narrative and indulges in the show's own mythos a bit. The entire process is set up by so called non-humans or as it implied, the remnants of angels. The backstage of death run by eccentrics, laidback and a serious crew. The biggest revelation however is that the woman in black had been a subject of judgment but it was delayed over her somehow remembering that she had died and Decim the bartender had no means to judge her with that in mind - I went wow over here.

World building needn't be explicit but I think it can do better than that even if it is implicit.

Perhaps the entire test is as flawed as it is depicted. As Decim puts it, "your life wasn't fair either" but if that is the case, it would be interesting but so far I have not seen implications that support that theory.
I loved Death Parade. Interesting concept and fun to watch every week.

There were some gaps in the narrative though, particularly with
the pop star and the fan - felt like they cut a few scenes out of this side story
, and the whole thing kind of lacks resolution in that
the system is shown to be very flawed/fucked up, but no solution is proposed

Line_HTX

Sölf;214568874 said:
Hayate is really great. It's comedy gold. I am reading the manga now (at least the english version, which is like 200+ chapters behind xD). If you lump Hayate together with Zero no Tsukaima, Toradora and Shana, you can add Gintama to that list as well because Kugimiya voices Kagura, who is essentially also a loli. And that just doesn't work.

As for ZnT, I watched S1 and S2 and the first 1 or 2 episodes of S3. There was always fanservice in it, but S1 still felt like a funny adventure anime and S2 felt like half the episodes were useless filler and the other half was similar to what I liked. But then S3 came and took the worst parts of S2 and expanded on that. So, yeah, I really think the first season of ZnT is good, but afterwards you can forget anything else exists.

Yeah, just even introducing Tiffania was like what the fuck.

He should've done it w/ the Princess with her tiara on though, lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom