• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aku no Hana 12

It's against my expectations that Nakamura's family and household are decidedly normal. You'd think someone with her psyche would come from a broken home with abusive relationships but I guess she's just a sociopath by nature instead of nurture.

javac

Aku no Hana 12

It's against my expectations that Nakamura's family and household are decidedly normal. You'd think someone with her psyche would come from a broken home with abusive relationships but I guess she's just a sociopath by nature instead of nurture.

Season 2 never :(

Aku no Hana 13 END

Hmmm. Can't help but feel the show peaked in the middle sections, but that isn't to say any part it is a slouch. I'm somewhat disappointed the finale ended up being a lot of recap and frentic flash forwarding to what I assume happens later in the manga, although it was effective and making my brain feel like it was going to explode. I don't really have much to say that I haven't already said but Aku no Hana feels like what you would get if Hitchock made an anime, with the style of voyeurism and focus on the psychological and the mundane.

Will I read the manga? I'm honestly not sure. I thought this was relatively fine as an ending to begin with and can't believe this is only 1/3rd of the manga. That and the manga's art being ridiculously plain in stark contrast to the anime makes me less enthused to continue.

But none of that matters because this show will forever be proof that anime fans have terrible taste and deserve all the LN battle harem adaptations we get. Here you have one of the most unique TV anime series of all time and the collective acceptance was "Yeah...but it'd be better if it was a run of the mill adaptation that blindly followed the manga as the Bible, y'know? Let's all watch Attack on Titan instead." Shitheads.

jonjonaug

Aku no Hana 13 END

Hmmm. Can't help but feel the show peaked in the middle sections, but that isn't to say any part it is a slouch. I'm somewhat disappointed the finale ended up being a lot of recap and frentic flash forwarding to what I assume happens later in the manga, although it was effective and making my brain feel like it was going to explode. I don't really have much to say that I haven't already said but Aku no Hana feels like what you would get if Hitchock made an anime, with the style of voyeurism and focus on the psychological and the mundane.

Will I read the manga? I'm honestly not sure. I thought this was relatively fine as an ending to begin with and can't believe this is only 1/3rd of the manga. That and the manga's art being ridiculously plain in stark contrast to the anime makes me less enthused to continue.

But none of that matters because this show will forever be proof that anime fans have terrible taste and deserve all the LN battle harem adaptations we get. Here you have one of the most unique TV anime series of all time and the collective acceptance was "Yeah...but it'd be better if it was a run of the mill adaptation that blindly followed the manga as the Bible, y'know? Let's all watch Attack on Titan instead." Shitheads.
The anime stops right when the main characters stop committing misdemeanors and start committing felonies. The chapters from the end of the anime up until the end of the second third are the high point of the series, although the last arc is good too.

zulux21

so... anime news network posted reactions from other jump authors to bleach's end

this one made me laugh
Sz5sYR9.png

for those who don't know.. july 19th, 2017 will be 20 years for one piece :p
and oda is known to work himself to death.

Aku no Hana 13 END

now now... my thoughts were the animation/character designs make me want to vomit so I don't care to watch it :p
I don't really care if it followed the manga as a bible, retroscoping is horrible :/ (or at least in this style it is... I imagine well done retroscoping is possible, it's just not what was used in this show)

zulux21

you know as much as people love to hate on light novels around here, you would think they make up the majority of anime released.

actually looking.... (using http://anichart.net/) last season which was heavier with light novels had 5 of them... out of 45 new shows.

this season had 2 out of 41 new shows

and next season currently has 2 out of 48 new shows

if we do the winter season for the heck of it as well...
which seems to have been decently heavy for light novels at 7 out of 29

we get that for 2016
16 out of 163 anime were light novel based which is less than 10% of them o_O

Mob Psycho #7

Shit, that was fantastic. Ritsu going off the deep end, Prez reaping some Karma, body improvement club continuing to be the best bros, hoodie guy locking on to Ritsu and whole ton of more stuff.
But boy does it feel weird when you root for Reigen but despise those scammers, when they're essentially doing the same thing.
To be fair, Reigen actually does get stuff done, be it by helping alleviate their worries when the haunting isn't actually real, or by getting Mob to exorcise evil spirits when they are there.

Ascheroth

To be fair, Reigen actually does get stuff done, be it by helping alleviate their worries when the haunting isn't actually real, or by getting Mob to exorcise evil spirits when they are there.

True, I thought about that as well. He also doesn't force himself on others but takes the jobs as they come.
Still feels weird rooting for one con-artist while disliking the others, haha.

you know as much as people love to hate on light novels around here, you would think they make up the majority of anime released.

actually looking.... (using http://anichart.net/) last season which was heavier with light novels had 5 of them... out of 45 new shows.

we get that for 2016

That's not true at all. I assume you are counting HxH and Alderamin as the 2 LN series...There's also Arslan and Battery. Sure, Battery is a Novel but there's like zero difference. You also got like 5 VN adaptations (which are as bad as LNs) and multiple web novels.

jbug617

Banned
Here is the survey I was talking about yesterday. Right Stuf is still taking them for Canadians.
We love Canada. It's just like Iowa, except different. We really want to better understand and serve fans in Canada, and we're willing to bribe you to take some of your valuable time to do so. Everyone who completes this survey (like all the way to the end, no cheating!) will be entered to win one of five (5!) US$50 gift cards you can use at rightstufanime.com. For anything you want!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FriendsInTheNorth

That's not true at all. I assume you are counting HxH and Alderamin as the 2 LN series...There's also Arslan and Battery. Sure, Battery is a Novel but there's like zero difference. You also got like 5 VN adaptations (which are as bad as LNs) and multiple web novels.

At that point you might as well put manga there too man, lmao.

Thats not how it works.

Aku no Hana 13 END

The clumsiness of the finale is the one significant flaw of the anime, and it's very unfortunate that they were unable to make a second season. But, as you say, it doesn't detract too much from the remarkable accomplishment of the whole. Hitchcock is a good figure to bring up. While Flowers of Evil doesn't exactly replicate his style, I'm sure he would respect its approach to drawing out tension and suspense, and the use of music for heavy atmosphere can be likened to Hitchcock's use of music in films such as Psycho. As an experimental series, it certainly has not met with universal approbation, nor could it be expected to. I saw some extremely vicious criticism while the show was airing, mostly for the rotoscoping but also from people who found the story and/or direction absurdly overblown. Still, there's no doubt it struck deeply into the hearts and minds of a number of people, and will be remembered for a long time to come.

It must be said, however, that Battery bears almost no resemblance to the image "light novel" conjures up in most people's minds.

Any word on whether DR will be airing today at all? I'm undisposed at home for the next few days, but I like to watch my anime in bulk. I'd rather watch DR and Mob together rather than one now and then another one later. Funi's twitter earlier only said the typical "it'll come #soon"

unless jpn would send the anime before 6 am in the morning, then I wouldnt expect anything untilt his evening.

At that point you might as well put manga there too man, lmao.

Thats not how it works.

Nah, there are actually good manga adaptations this season.
/s

It must be said, however, that Battery bears almost no resemblance to the image "light novel" conjures up in most people's minds.

Of course. I've never understood what the hell a light novel actually is, there seems to be no straight definition beyond the length being shorter and easier to read. Other then that its targeted to mid-high schoolers and sometimes has pictures? Maybe I'm biased because I've only read Kizumonogatari and the first two volumes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes which don't fit the popular image either because those two are just books. I've just come to the conclusion that a light novel is something where they stick books made to become anime in the section called "light novel" and as a genre it means about as much as action-adventure.

Nah, there are actually good manga adaptations this season.
/s

Of course. I've never understood what the hell a light novel actually is, there seems to be no straight definition beyond the length being shorter and easier to read. Other then that its targeted to mid-high schoolers and sometimes has pictures? Maybe I'm biased because I've only read Kizumonogatari and the first two volumes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes which don't fit the popular image either because those two are just books. I've just come to the conclusion that a light novel is something where they stick books made to become anime in the section called "light novel" and as a genre it means about as much as action-adventure.

It is not a genre, it is a format same as web novels or books.

There is no image of what a light novel is, just what its popular to adapt currently, Kara No Kyoukai and Slayers got nothing to do with what is current now and they are light novels.

Also like 5% of light novels are ever adapted to anime.

Ive read like 50 light novels, like in all mediums there is some good and there is a lot of bad.

If you guys wana look into some repetitive shit with terrible writing you should look into chinese web novels. Now that shit is universally terrible, hundreds of stories with literally the same world, same terms and same story, just unreal.

we get that for 2016
Did you listen to a otaku spirit podcast recently? Because that was one of the subject of one of their most recent one. Just curious.

Clov

Urusei Yatsura 053

While the latter half of the episode was somewhat fanservicey, the first half felt more distinctly like Oshii than any of the episodes so far. The focus on the strange environments that Ataru found himself in while exploring the district, and the dream-like atmosphere were fascinating to watch. The second half wasn't bad by any means, but there was a very noticeable tonal shift as soon as Ten showed up. I loved the really absurd sense of humor this episode had with Ataru having to figure out how to wash the various monsters' backs though. This might be my favorite episode so far! I hope there's more like this.

zulux21

I am counting what anichart had listed as light novels. so yes those two.

Arslan started as a novel but the anime is actually based off the manga version.
as for battery I knew it was a novel, but it isn't listed as a light novel.

visual novels are a completely different beast.

Did you listen to a otaku spirit podcast recently? Because that was one of the subject of one of their most recent one. Just curious.

nope. I don't listen to any podcasts. I prefer being active in discussions instead of listening someone else talk about stuff. Heck I haven't even ever listened to the few podcasts I have been asked to be a part of lol.

Joe Molotov

Urusei Yatsura 001

E2UfNdA.jpg
JIfgIvO.jpg

MC gonna MC.

I've been meaning to get around to watching this for a while, and I decided to pop the first episode in last night. A decent start. I've cheated a little bit and seen Beautiful Dreamer, but this my first time watching any of the rest of it. So far my primary takeaway is that you can tell this made in the 80's instead of the 10's because Lum's horns weren't even erogenous zones. Truly a missed opportunity.

Z28hrb8.jpg

The first time...

zulux21

Urusei Yatsura 001

I'm still hoping that against all odds someone eventually saves this and dubs it.
I tried watching the series a while back knowing that a few people really loved it but couldn't get past a few episodes because I found it rather boring. if it got dubbed I could get through it though.

can't wait for the dubs of gintama to finally get past episode 20 @_@

nope. I don't listen to any podcasts. I prefer being active in discussions instead of listening someone else talk about stuff. Heck I haven't even ever listened to the few podcasts I have been asked to be a part of lol.

Ah I see just a funny coincidence then. It was like the huge subject of their podcast.

Exalted

Hunter X Hunter END

Just finished all of episodes of Hunter X Hunter and now i fell a little empty :s
Great series, had fun watching it over the last 3 weeks. While It had some rough episodes and the writing and the character were shounen as fuck at times, (mostly people doing some really stupid or out of characters decisions that best suited the story) it also had some really great moments, that made you really pumped up and feel invested in the story. I liked all the character development i saw in this show, it was definitely much better than your average shounen. Now that i look back, probably half of the 140 episodes were somehow training related hehe, with they boys needing to get stronger to overcome the next challenge, with every challenge being harder and thus requiring even more training. Good thing that it was fun to watch them grow and become stronger, otherwise it would be quite boring show with so many episodes dedicated to training :p

Both Gon and Killua were fun characters with very different personalities,(while not without faults, Gon was an handful at times)they had great chemistry. I still think Gin is an huge selfish asshole, and the last 3 episodes didn't really made me change my opinion on him. Apart from the MC my favourite character was Leorio, even though he didn't really do much or have a huge role in the serie, he just seems like a cool guy.

9/10 show for me, definitely recommended if you like shounen

zulux21

Ah I see just a funny coincidence then. It was like the huge subject of their podcast.

I mostly just don't get the hate for them in general. Are some of them garbage, sure, are some of them good, yup. like any other medium.

it's reminding me a lot of people hating on indie games because they are indie. calling bad non indie games indie games because they are bad, and then calling good indie games AAA games because they good lol.

Hunter X Hunter END

Just finished all of episodes of Hunter X Hunter and now i fell a little empty :s

at the current manga release rate since the end of the TV show it should only take 60-100 years for the next season of Hunter x hunter to come out.

I'm still hoping that against all odds someone eventually saves this and dubs it.
I tried watching the series a while back knowing that a few people really loved it but couldn't get past a few episodes because I found it rather boring. if it got dubbed I could get through it though.

I wouldn't count on either of those.

Clov

Given the age of this series, its length, and its general lack of popularity in North America (especially compared to older series that did get new dubs, like Sailor Moon) the chances of this getting dubbed are very, very low.

There's always that gag dub of the first episode that the BBC did, at least.

zulux21

I wouldn't count on either of those.
I don't have much reason to count on the series being rescued. but given that gintama is confirmed to get dubbed through episode 52 I really don't see why I shouldn't count on that o_O

Given the age of this series, its length, and its general lack of popularity in North America (especially compared to older series that did get new dubs, like Sailor Moon) the chances of this getting dubbed are very, very low.

There's always that gag dub of the first episode that the BBC did, at least.

yeah I know it isn't going to happen, so I will just sit around and wait for my more realistic dream hope.
Maisen ikkoku getting a new English release (not redubbed just a new release) so I can own it for less than 1k :p

Ascheroth

If you guys wana look into some repetitive shit with terrible writing you should look into chinese web novels. Now that shit is universally terrible, hundreds of stories with literally the same world, same terms and same story, just unreal.

like in all mediums there is some good and there is a lot of bad.
*cough*
You should give I Shall Seal The Heavens a try. Nearing the 900 translated chapters mark and still going strong. ;)

But yeah, most of them are repetitive and shallow as fuck.
But on the other hand I suppose that is what happens if you have to churn out 2 chapters a day.

I mostly just don't get the hate for them in general. Are some of them garbage, sure, are some of them good, yup. like any other medium.

it's reminding me a lot of people hating on indie games because they are indie. calling bad non indie games indie games because they are bad, and then calling good indie games AAA games because they good lol.

at the current manga release rate since the end of the TV show it should only take 60-100 years for the next season of Hunter x hunter to come out.

I think its mostly that people are quick to judge a LN show artstyle. Most of them do look extremely similar and popular shows right now happen to have more LN among them. Hating on them is just the cool thing to do right now. It will pass like all things.

Anyway that's how I see it. Re:Zero was a good exemple, tossed aside by many based solely on the artstyle.

LuffyZoro

New Game

Nenechi was over the top this episode, and the part with the pudding theft went on way too long. Still, more of the same.

Mob Psycho

Good episode. It's weird to me that
Ritsu can't control his powers without Dimple's help.
Maybe that'll change in the future. Looking forward to the confrontation next episode.

Theonik

Build Fighters or crap harem anime? You decide
My decision to just read the donjons is vindicated.

Urusei Yatsura has a couple of English dubs already. One US dub and a UK fandub by the BBC that covers the first few episodes that's worth watching just because of how awesome it is.

zulux21

Urusei Yatsura has a couple of English dubs already. One US dub and a UK fandub by the BBC that covers the first few episodes that's worth watching just because of how awesome it is.

hmmm
*looks around*

all I can see is the movies dubbed, I can't find the tv series dubbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom