• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

I second the BBC dub. Though I wouldn't really call it a fandub. Comedy dub is more apt, since it is professionally produced.
It was not an official release of the show, it was made as a tribute by fans in the BBC. Pretty high production values though.

*cough*
You should give I Shall Seal The Heavens a try. Nearing the 900 translated chapters mark and still going strong. ;)

But yeah, most of them are repetitive and shallow as fuck.
But on the other hand I suppose that is what happens if you have to churn out 2 chapters a day.

Yeah ive read some of it, its in the queue. I mean theres no way to miss it, its like the most popular one right now.

But it sort of is the exeption that proves the rule and even then, it has a lot of the tropes.

Training, sects everywhere, super mythical items and main characters always end up immortal.

Ascheroth

Yeah ive read some of it, its in the queue. I mean theres no way to miss it, its like the most popular one right now.

But it sort of is the exeption that proves the rule and even then, it has a lot of the tropes.

Training, sects everywhere, super mythical items and main characters always end up immortal.

I'd say that's more a part of the genre than just tropes. Xianxia literally translates to Immortal Hero.

Taruranto

Fundashi 6-7

br7yID3.jpg

LWvb6bU.jpg

This may be a Fundashi series, but this woman is perfection.

Qurupeke

Yona of the Dawn 15-17
I really liked episodes 15 and 16 as Soo-won continues to exhibit a lot of charisma. I thought they overdid it with pointing out how kind and peaceful he was, but the pay off was worth it and I didn't expect that not just the mock battle, but everything he did had a reason. It makes the future encounter with Yona a lot more interesting. Also, the Earth General's wife was so young and cute, she looks like his daughter. lol

New arc isn't bad too, promising start and the dragon is a pretty cool character.

Cornbread78

I'm probably not going to bother, but If I did, does anyone have any ideas for another Lets Watch?

Previous “Let’s Watch Anime” shows:

Humanity Has Declined, Eccentric Family, Sunday Without God, Samurai Flemanco, Blast of Tempest, Kyousougiga, Kids on the Slope, Mirai Nikki, Rosen Maiden, Code: Breaker (literally broke let's watch, lol) Servant x Service, and most recently Mazinger Z, Moribito.

Szadek

Finished my Madoka Magcia rewatch.
I most rewatched to confrim that it's still my favorite anime ,which it is.
Although, Utena is really extremely close second place.

Since I'm in a mood for more magical girls I also plan to start watching Heartcatch Precure! and started rewatching Princess Tutu (hopefully this time it can make into my top 5 or 10).

Line_HTX

91 Days 05

Goddamn, Ronaldo looks ugly as fuck.

Wait a minute, when did Fango and Don Orco have a falling out? I don't think they were at each other's throats at that dinner table.

Qurupeke

91 Days 05
Wait a minute, when did Fango and Don Orco have a falling out? I don't think they were at each other's throats at that dinner table.

Yeah, I found this weird too. An important plot development happens off screen and Fango becomes a deus ex machina... Eeeeeh.

Cornbread78

Wolf's Rain ep.7
Flower girl, meet wolf boys, wolf boys meet the flower girl you've been smelling. I guess like typical wild wolves, we will get sone manly in-fighting to get the flower girl on the way to Paradise?

Line_HTX

Wolf's Rain ep.7
Flower girl, meet wolf boys, wolf boys meet the flower girl you've been smelling. I guess like typical wild wolves, we will get sone manly in-fighting to get the flower girl on the way to Paradise?

I hope that Nordic song of the flower puts you to sleep. It's so good, haha

Red Garden 8

A sweet episode, probably the most relaxed one yet. Seeing these girls who normally wouldn't have talked to each other bond over their shared burden is the best part of the show, so I was happy to have a full episode focused on that. The singing continues to be not handled particularly well, however.

Cornbread78

Wolf's Rain ep.8
Oh, what a sweet luliby to put the boys asleep, lol. Strange meeting with an old flower person in the city warning Chesa not to go with the wolves since it will ultimately lead to destruction.. Well, too bad, Chesa got permission from all the boys to tag along all the way to Paradise, lol.

I hope that Nordic song of the flower puts you to sleep. It's so good, haha

I made it out awake somehow, lol.

Gvitor

Mob Pyscho 93

Great episode. If the next one's also good, I think this show will get to a 50:50 ration in quality. The problem is that the disparity is just too big between the good episodes and the bad ones. The forced humour really doesn't do it for me, but this episode hit out of the park and everything was great, up until another good cliffhanger.

Arslan Season 2 Finished
we_should_have_focused_on_this.jpg

Oh yeah, the sword.

So the second season of Arslan ends with yet more build-up. The biggest scenes is probably Hilmes finally snatching the historical prize that is Rukhnabad. Something that will no doubt give weight to his claim that the throne is rightfully his. His followers are certainly impressed, practically falling to their knees over it. It's a big moment. So why does this feel like a side note in the story? Why was dealing with a corrupt merchant who we'll probably never see again given such narrative weight? Narsus doesn't come out of it particularly changed. Grabbing this sea port is...neat, I guess. Now all this isn't to say I didn't enjoy this season. I did, but it was a frivolous forgettable type of fun. If this isn't continued in any animated form, then this season isn't worth watching. The finale of the first season ended on a much more palatable note.

Cornbread78

Wolfs Rain ep.9
Man, that old man needs to pay more attention to Blue and stop his crazy anti-wolf ways. Poor Blue got pummeled out there by those asshole soldiers out hunti g for flower girl.

Narag

Talking of buying BluRays, did anyone buy AnimeGAF darling Ping Pong on BD?

Going back to this (and this is directed at everyone), what're some other animegaf darlings? Not looking for the obvious stuff like Evangelion or Kill Me Baby but more along the lines of Hyouka or Flowers of Evil?

ibyea

Banned
Battery: 1-6
Curse me for doubting! This is a good show! And as much as Takumi is a jackass, as much as he has a complex on looking weak, as much as he hates being controlled, that stuff is well motivated, and as long as that is well executed, I can get along for the ride.

ibyea

Banned
Aku no Hana 13 END

Hmmm. Can't help but feel the show peaked in the middle sections, but that isn't to say any part it is a slouch. I'm somewhat disappointed the finale ended up being a lot of recap and frentic flash forwarding to what I assume happens later in the manga, although it was effective and making my brain feel like it was going to explode. I don't really have much to say that I haven't already said but Aku no Hana feels like what you would get if Hitchock made an anime, with the style of voyeurism and focus on the psychological and the mundane.

Will I read the manga? I'm honestly not sure. I thought this was relatively fine as an ending to begin with and can't believe this is only 1/3rd of the manga. That and the manga's art being ridiculously plain in stark contrast to the anime makes me less enthused to continue.

But none of that matters because this show will forever be proof that anime fans have terrible taste and deserve all the LN battle harem adaptations we get. Here you have one of the most unique TV anime series of all time and the collective acceptance was "Yeah...but it'd be better if it was a run of the mill adaptation that blindly followed the manga as the Bible, y'know? Let's all watch Attack on Titan instead." Shitheads.

Your last points, they make me sad. Cause you are right, we will never get the continuation. :(

Going back to this (and this is directed at everyone), what're some other animegaf darlings? Not looking for the obvious stuff like Evangelion or Kill Me Baby but more along the lines of Hyouka or Flowers of Evil?

Current AnimeGAF is too all over the place to have darlings, but if you look at AOTY voting results from 2014 and earlier they clearly show what managed to gain general appreciation in the community. Aside from the two you mention, Yamato 2199 is one of the first things that comes to mind.

Battery: 1-6
Curse me for doubting! This is a good show! And as much as Takumi is a jackass, as much as he has a complex on looking weak, as much as he hates being controlled, that stuff is well motivated, and as long as that is well executed, I can get along for the ride.

Yeah, Takumi isn't just being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk, he's just someone who's confident in his own abilities and certain that he knows better than anyone else. The dynamic between his desire to be independent and the demands of authority and simple personal relationships around him are what make the series so interesting.

Narag

Current AnimeGAF is too all over the place to have darlings, but if you look at AOTY voting results from 2014 and earlier they clearly show what managed to gain general appreciation in the community. Aside from the two you mention, Yamato 2199 is one of the first things that comes to mind.

Well, I mean the current posters might see the darlings in a more sardonic light and likely offer up some titles as artsy shit.

So people mentioned that R.O.D.: Read or Die might get another series...which reminded me I loved these OVAS way back in 2001 when they came out...and I didn't even know it ever got a series! Is it worth checking out for a fan of the OVAs?

Cornbread78

SAO?

Gurren Lagann

What Gold said, lol.

A animegaf darling would be something all of animegaf likes right? Does something like this actually exist?

Everyone on here loves Hyouka, except for those who don't. Their opinion doesn't matter though, so there's that.

No, there is no one end-all or be-all show here. Tastes are varied. You can probably find a few that a vast majority of people like, but not THE ONE.

Quasar

Well, I mean the current posters might see the darlings in a more sardonic light and likely offer up some titles as artsy shit.

To me at least looking back at earlier votes, the top 10's seem full of all the old expected titles.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=19100127

Hard to judge 'darlings' though I guess. Certainly its rare to see titles with overwhelming popularity. Though there are strata, such as 2012 where we got:

1 Puella Magi Madoka Magica 495
2 Usagi Drop 475
3 Mawaru Penguindrum 452
4 Steins;Gate 394

#5 there goes down to 260.

Unrelated, I do find the 2010 vote interesting in part because its mixed media.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30099253&postcount=116

ibyea

Banned
Yeah, Takumi isn't just being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk, he's just someone who's confident in his own abilities and certain that he knows better than anyone else. The dynamic between his desire to be independent and the demands of authority and simple personal relationships around him are what make the series so interesting.

Plus, with some of the fragile egos and power tripping involved from some of the people, there were times where I just sided with Takumi. Also, he sort of reminds me of me when I am at my worst, hahaha.

Cornbread78

I'm probably not going to bother, but If I did, does anyone have any ideas for another Lets Watch?

Previous “Let’s Watch Anime” shows:

Humanity Has Declined, Eccentric Family, Sunday Without God, Samurai Flemanco, Blast of Tempest, Kyousougiga, Kids on the Slope, Mirai Nikki, Rosen Maiden, Code: Breaker (literally broke let's watch, lol) Servant x Service, and most recently Mazinger Z, Moribito.

Well I enjoyed Tokyo Ravens, so I might suggest that.

Hmm, interesting premise.

A good slightly older show named Sword Art Online.

Could be a lot of fun, but it would probably end up a complete shit-post fest unless it was moderated dailfes

Would love to get some peeps from the gaming side to join in and experience at least season 1, lol.

zulux21

I have been thinking which show aren't really hated by anybody and I though of HAIKYU.

Would Haikyu qualify as a animegaf darling?

I hate on haikyu, but I don't hate it so maybe?

I just fail to comprehend how such a generic sports show gets so much praise when so many other far better ones are barely talked about :( I guess good animation is more important than a good story an actual enjoyable characters >.> (I don't think the story or characters are bad just not all that interesting or enjoyable)

baby steps and chihiyafaru season 3 when? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom