• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Mob Pyscho 93

Great episode. If the next one's also good, I think this show will get to a 50:50 ration in quality. The problem is that the disparity is just too big between the good episodes and the bad ones. The forced humour really doesn't do it for me, but this episode hit out of the park and everything was great, up until another good cliffhanger.

How do you come up with that opinion with only watching 3 episodes?

Doing a mindless rewatch since it recently finished.

Bleach 1

Nostalgia rush.

Man I rewatched the last arc about the fullbringers recently and I don't care what the cool kids on here says the Bleach anime was just way too cool. I think I liked everything about it.

Yes even allllll the fillers. Bleach has the best fillers

Cornbread78

Sweetness & Lightning ep.8
"I gotta go poopies" "we'll waiy until your done" oh Tsumugi way to put him on the spot, Lolololol
He's like a lil' husband already trying to hide on the thronsphe

Another really cute episode, but Kotori needs to chill about sensei..

I hate on haikyu, but I don't hate it so maybe?

I just fail to comprehend how such a generic sports show gets so much praise when so many other far better ones are barely talked about :( I guess good animation is more important than a good story an actual enjoyable characters >.> (I don't think the story or characters are bad just not all that interesting or enjoyable)

baby steps and chihiyafaru season 3 when? :(

Heh. I'm just about to finish my rewatch of Chihayafuru season 1, and was recently thinking about how Chihayafuru is inferior as a sports show to Haikyuu. There's a limit to how interesting Chihayafuru is able to make the detailed discussions of karuta strategies, and the more it focuses on the karuta games themselves the worse it gets. Whereas Haikyuu is excellent at portraying volleyball games and doing sustained character and team development through them and the training between the games.

Jarmel

Banned
Might watch a couple of Yatsura episodes this week. I went to AnimeFest which was like the celebration of the anniversary of Yatsura and I haven't even watched a single episode.

I primarily went as a Patlabor fan. I'm just glad that big drawing she did wasn't of Noa.

Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning and The Rising

I mean, I enjoyed it. The non-recap section in Beginning could've made a nice episodic plot in the earlier half of the TV series, and the movie itself was a good build-off from the epilogue. Even appreciated the small highlights for the Second League heroes. But what about the Ouroboros subplot? And Lunatic is still just same ol' in it.

I want more.

Baby Steps S2 Episode 2
download.png

Sounds like my life!

zulux21

Heh. I'm just about to finish my rewatch of Chihayafuru season 1, and was recently thinking about how Chihayafuru is inferior as a sports show to Haikyuu. There's a limit to how interesting Chihayafuru is able to make the detailed discussions of karuta strategies, and the more it focuses on the karuta games themselves the worse it gets. Whereas Haikyuu is excellent at portraying volleyball games and doing sustained character and team development through them and the training between the games.

I find most of the writing and characters in Haikyuu to be super boring just safe generic versions of characters you can find in most any other sports show in the last 10 years.

they spend some time on the other characters beyond the main two, but most of those stories cause my eyes to gloss over as they are super boring and I don't give a shit about them. heck I would likely cheer if tall freshman moved away because his character is so damn boring and his story moments are like torture to get through :/ such a horriblly boring character. (huh just realizing that I have watched both seasons of the show and I don't think I can tell you a single character's name off the top of my head lol... wait I think the black haired one is kagayama or something.... I can't remember the orange haired one right now >.<: that is how little impression these characters leave on me)

the animation is nice, I will give it that, but for the most part it just makes me want to go back and watch the vastly superior Major lol.

(granted baby steps also made me want to go watch the superior Ippo :p)

Cornbread78

Souma S2 ep.8
Soma, you better not disappoint that hot mama, lol. This shounld be a fun competition, but are they going to drag this final match through the end of the season?

javac

AnimeGAF darlings huh? I'll take a few guesses:
  • Mushishi (Yet to watch it myself)
  • Redline (also yet to see this one)
  • Denno Coil (Same...)
  • Ojamajo Doremi (Should I watch this one?)
  • Gunbuster
  • Utena
  • Sword of the Stranger

I might be the only one, but I am not enjoying NGNL what so ever. Currently on episode 5 and its doing nothing for me. Will probably give one more episode tomorrow and see if I'm gonna drop it or not,

zulux21

I might be the only one, but I am not enjoying NGNL what so ever. Currently on episode 5 and its doing nothing for me. Will probably give one more episode tomorrow and see if I'm gonna drop it or not,
I think episode 6 will be the (nothing major spoiler wise just spoilered in case)
word game
, if you don't like that you likely should just drop it.
I would have thought reZero was. Or at least the high frequency posters like it.

tons of people also hate re:zero though.

jman2050

AnimeGAF darlings huh? I'll take a few guesses:
  • Mushishi (Yet to watch it myself)
  • Redline (also yet to see this one)
  • Denno Coil (Same...)
  • Ojamajo Doremi (Should I watch this one?)
  • Gunbuster
  • Utena
  • Sword of the Stranger

Add K-On, Hyouka, Ping Pong, and Tatami Galaxy, just off the top of my head.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hyouka has its fair share of detractors from traitors malcontents plebians certain people.

K-On is trash tho.

Syrinx

Catching up since I caught up on Aikatsu! Stars

Im@s CG 6

So...this being anime Major League and all, who's going to go to Mio and threaten to cut her nuts off and shove them down her fucking throat?

zulux21

Add K-On, Hyouka, Ping Pong, and Tatami Galaxy, just off the top of my head.

k-on is garbage and the crap it spawned is even worse.
if I had multiple wishes from a genie one of them would be to remove all 4 girls in a club doing cute shit anime from the world >.<;

yes, multiple, it's not so high up on my list of things I wish that it would be the first thing I wish for.
and realistically I would be smarter and wish for the power to control the focus of entertainment in general so that stuff I am interested in is created, but still :p

blurr

I liked the powers/abilities in Bleach, wide array of magic, sword skills, squad specialties etc. everything else was just forgettable. I used to be huge fan of it. I need another fantasy samurai anime.

will always be confused by the vehement hatred of something as innocent as cute girls doing cute things

It's really baffling. K-ON, at its worst, is fairly harmless. It's especially baffling to see people claim that K-ON "invented" cute girl anime when there are plenty of earlier examples, such as Azumanga Daioh and Hidamari Sketch.

Well, as you pointed out in your Flowers of Evil impressions, can't expect much from anime fans.

I liked the powers/abilities in Bleach, wide array of magic, sword skills, squad specialties etc. everything else was just forgettable. I used to be huge fan of it. I need another fantasy samurai anime.

the abilities would be cool given proper use, unfortunately kubo is writing

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We would all be in a better place if, instead of cute girls doing cute things, current anime trends involve cute girls being meta and wide girls doing wide things.

Imagine how much better New Game would be if it was wide.

zulux21

It's really baffling. K-ON, at its worst, is fairly harmless. It's especially baffling to see people claim that K-ON "invented" cute girl anime when there are plenty of earlier examples, such as Azumanga Daioh and Hidamari Sketch.

Well, as you pointed out in your Flowers of Evil impressions, can't expect much from anime fans.

It didn't invent cute girl, it popularized it though.

also you could add Ichigo Mashimaro and hmmm there is another show about a cute girl that becomes god that I can't remember the name of >.<; (and no not haruhi) to the plenty of earlier examples as well :p

I am not sure how guilty of modern cute girl doing cute things cliches hidamari sketch is but ichigo mashimaro is all about the cuteness.

zulux21

thats so not true...

it's the first show that skyrocketed to mainstream success with cute girls. Azamanga had some success but is still more of a cult success, same with lucky star. Maybe in Japan there was some success before it, but at least in america it is the show that turned people onto cute girl shows. (note I am not saying people didn't enjoy cute girls before that, but they were merely cute characters in other shows, not shows focused on the girls just being cute)

cute girl shows also became way more common shortly after k-on came out.
just like we have gotten a lot more light novel series since sword art online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom