• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danganronpa 3 Future Arc - 07

This was an Ultra Despair Girls titled episode, with Ultra Despair Girls things.

tXny6wR.gif

Szadek

Monster - Ep. 29
"Well? Would you like a drink?"
Johan is such a magnificent asshole. You will have hard time to mind a more manipulative and compelling villain than him.

Heartcatch Precure! - Ep. 3
Here comes the second magical girl, Cure Marine.
She is pretty cool.

Cornbread78

G.M. HxH ep.7
Trash, pure trash. Why do the bad guys/girls always have to be so OP? Ridiculousness... oh well, the show sucks anyways, so whateva

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
New Game 8
The change in weather to depict QA feeling is accurate. At first it all sunshine, then it all cloudy and gloomy after going trough the same events multiple time. It still a good job to get into the industry if you have no programming, business, IT, or designer background..

lol that pudding accident is too similar to what happened in my previous company. Someone swipe our supervisor yakult, and she send an email to the whole company to find the culprit. The culprit later apologize and bought her a new yakult. As for the culprit, he still in the company and recently promoted into project manager.

will always be confused by the vehement hatred of something as innocent as cute girls doing cute things

It's really baffling. K-ON, at its worst, is fairly harmless. It's especially baffling to see people claim that K-ON "invented" cute girl anime when there are plenty of earlier examples, such as Azumanga Daioh and Hidamari Sketch.

Well, as you pointed out in your Flowers of Evil impressions, can't expect much from anime fans.

As zulux said, K-ON!'s popularity is mostly responsible for all the vitrol. It may not have invented or popularized the genre, but the show's massive popularity in of itself definitely drew attention to it, causing anime fans to see all these people cheerfully raving about a cute girls doing cute things show as blasphemous.

"How could this show possibly be seen as better than my 80s or 90s manly shounen action show?!?"

"What a bunch of freaks, those K-ON! fans. They make us REAL anime fans look bad!"

"Those moeshit fans are the worst, always screaming about how great this cute girl show is when nothing happens in it."

I'm sure we've all heard statements like those somewhere. People are angry because this harmless slice-of-life show involving cute high school girls is now the new hottest thing instead of their manly anime. And now that K-ON! fans like this genre, they look for the other shows in it. Then they make memes with their characters, and post about much they love them, drawing even more attention, and so on and so forth.

And now that these shows are more popular than ever, the haters all see shows like K-ON! as the thing that RUINED anime by making so many people like it, blaming it and its fans for why so many CGDCT shows are made.

Aki-at

Monster - Ep. 29
"Well? Would you like a drink?"
Johan is such a magnificent asshole. You will have hard time to mind a more manipulative and compelling villain than him.

This scene was so well done, I always point to this one (and the one with the prostitute earlier in the series) to show how much of a hypnotic menace Johan is.

New Game 8
lol that pudding accident is too similar to what happened in my previous company. Someone swipe our supervisor yakult, and she send an email to the whole company to find the culprit. The culprit later apologize and bought her a new yakult. As for the culprit, he still in the company and recently promoted into project manager.

You have a very tolerant manager, I've seen fridge related matters get severely out of hand in the past! I swear you'll get away with stealing from the company faster than stealing someone else's lunch
"Bob stole another 4 reams of A4"
"..."
"And your pastrami sandwich"
"RELEASE THE DOGS!!!"

Clov

Danganronpa 3: Future Arc 07

Note: Monaca died on her way back to her home planet.

This entire episode felt pointless. I like how the Future and Despair arcs play off each other, which each filling us in on some information that the other lacked. It didn't seem like this one built off of anything in the Despair arc. While we still might be missing a piece of the puzzle, but I doubt any future revelations could stop this episode from being boring.

Danganronpa 3: Future Arc 07

Note: Monaca died on her way back to her home planet.

This entire episode felt pointless. I like how the Future and Despair arcs play off each other, which each filling us in on some information that the other lacked. It didn't seem like this one built off of anything in the Despair arc. While we still might be missing a piece of the puzzle, but I doubt any future revelations could stop this episode from being boring.

Future in general is below Despair in every regard for me. It just doesn't hold my Pinterest as much, nor do its mysteries intrigue me. At this point I just want them to find the culprit so that we can conclude this whole thing.

Meanwhile in Despair, I have a lot of questions that still need to be answered. Maybe it helps that we know what happens AFTER but we know nothing of what happened DURING the despair inducing calamity.

Line_HTX

New Game 8
The change in weather to depict QA feeling is accurate. At first it all sunshine, then it all cloudy and gloomy after going trough the same events multiple time. It still a good job to get into the industry if you have no programming, business, IT, or designer background..

Do they even make the pay decent for no experience and all that tediousness?

Narag

Takamiya Nasuno Desu! 1-12

Forgot to finish this last month when I started it since I was having connection issues with CR. I think I like this more than the usual Teekyu stuff as the sort of frantic back and forth works better as a focused one on one call & response rather than it coming from all directions. This is probably why the bits with the regular cast felt disruptive.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
You have a very tolerant manager, I've seen fridge related matters get severely out of hand in the past! I swear you'll get away with stealing from the company faster than stealing someone else's lunch
"Bob stole another 4 reams of A4"
"..."
"And your pastrami sandwich"
"RELEASE THE DOGS!!!"
lol, this is true as well. Unless said device is expensive, small things like pen or charger usually get waived.

Yes, she's a very tolerant manager, most people respect her. I'm really glad having her as my higher up.

Do they even make the pay decent for no experience and all that tediousness?

More than minimum wage and the health insurance was good (assuming you work for more than 3 months and pass the probation period) Other benefit included: company trip, paid leave (depending on the project), team building fund, and free coffee/tea. It's still in the low end unless you're a senior, trainer, or lead.

Clov

Why that when I want a life size gundam in my home? Japan, build life size Gundam and sell it to the Otaku. You know we want them

I don't think that would fit in most people's houses. You might be able to make it fit if you get a lame MS like the Ball.

Kuromukuro 16-17

The aerial battle was so cool inside the nimbus cloud. Continues to be good.

Danball Senki 38-44 END

Final arc was pretty good with all the reveal but disappointed in the final battle as the MC robot gets a beat down and dont break while the enemy robot just dies from a few hits.

Still the battle was pretty cool with all the special moves. Also I laughed at the hope and despair speech while waitng for the new Danganronpa 3 episode.

For a children show there was some serious stuff and some cool twists. Definetly recommended.

javac

Eureka Entertainment
(who?)
bringing Metroplois DVD/Blu-ray to the UK. Sweet.

Yeah I heard about that. I wonder if they'll release it under their Masters of Cinema line in which they also have the 1927 classic of the same name. Metropolis is an awesome film, hopefully this is a sign of Sony sublicensing their stuff because I'd love to see Tokyo Godfathers, Steamboy and Memories out here on Blu-ray!

Szadek

Monster - Ep. 30
Oh look, the main protaganist is back. Haven't seen him in a while.
The secondary villain makes a return as well.On restropect I should have figured out way sooner that he was involved.
Obviously it wasn't Johan who failed to kill the detective several times , because if he wants to she you dead, you are fucking dead.

Jintor

new game 7

This level of animation for airsoft is delicious. These characters on in military gear is delicious. Can I get an airsoft cute girls shooting cute things sports anime old

That's some revolver ocelot level shit programmer-san

Oh I see the animators managed to work on both guns and boobs this episode. Must've been pleased.

Oh my god ab touching action.

Hey you're not allowed airsoft guns in a hospital! And how the hell did you hide that in your robes?

BluWacky

I'm sure we've all heard statements like those somewhere. People are angry because this harmless slice-of-life show involving cute high school girls is now the new hottest thing instead of their manly anime.

I would take issue with two parts of this statement (which I know is hyperbolic and not entirely sincere, but I'm responding anyway)

i) I'll fully admit to being annoyed at the success of such shows, but I don't think it's about "manliness". Dai Sato once put it as the difference between "atmosphere-type" shows and "difficult-type" shows, where atmosphere emphasises character and difficult emphasises plot. I think that's too simplistic and naive a distinction, but certainly I'm more interested in shows with Stories with a capital S (yes, K-On has a story, but... you know what I mean!). I would consider, for instance, Orange to be a "difficult-type" show, despite being a character drama, whereas Amanchu is clearly an "atmosphere-type" show.

ii) It's also difficult to get my head round K-On being the progenitor of this phenomenon. Note the top 10 anime of 2002, for instance, as voted for on 2Ch - while King Gainer and Haibane Renmei are at the top, and there's a pleasant appearance by Twelve Kingdoms in the list, the rest of the list is things like Sister Princess, Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, Azumanga, Figure 17 (which, although quite plot heavy, heavily played on the moe relationship between its two 10 year old female leads) etc. It even has Galaxy Angel in the list, which is one of the most vapid cute girl shows I can think of...

The point being that this is probably something that people have "complained about" for a long, long time, if they are in a particular segment of anime fandom.

I would actually say, however, that we seem to be in a good spot at the moment. Not that I'm watching much anime really these days, but looking casually at what generates discussion and seems to be airing, there seems to be more variety and choice - not necessarily quality, mind you - then there was in the early 2010s, and I think that's reflected a little in the topics of conversation on AnimeGAF (having lived through K-On's explosive popularity and the probably-quite-brief-but-felt-like-an-eternity Precure obsession phase). We've had shows taking chances visually where you wouldn't necessarily expect them; noitaminA is in a diverse phase of programming this year; there are shows that appeal to all sorts of audiences.

I'm sure that'll all change once the next waifu wars show kicks off or whatever (or something Rem-related happens in Re:Zero...) but currently there doesn't seem to be that much worth ranting about.

Line_HTX

Judging by its current pace, this thread will likely last for the whole summer season. RIP OT2.

There's not much going on outside of Re:Zero, and even Re:Zero is starting to fall off a little.

I'm noticing more people are talking about Alderamin on the Sky and 91 Days so I guess it's coming along at an OK pace?

The AnimeGAF community is at a place right now where discussion simply won't proceed at a blistering enough pace to shred through several OTs in three months, regardless of what anime is being released at the moment.

Line_HTX

new game 7

Oh I see the animators managed to work on both guns and boobs this episode. Must've been pleased.

Oh my god ab touching action.

Hey you're not allowed airsoft guns in a hospital! And how the hell did you hide that in your robes?

Umiko is an Okinawan militant, and she's like that dude in Borderlands who's like "Guns. Guns! I have them, you buy them!"

:lol

Szadek

I'm still watching 8 shows and already finsihed 2, so I really can't complain.
Still need to catch up to a few of them, but I'm working on it right now.
Speaking of:

Orange - Ep. 7
One of the best episodes so far. The ending was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom