• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

I enjoyed it still, which is probably a first for me with shonen of this kind. Characters are the reason I think.

Eeeh, Ikoma was alright I suppose but I'm disappointed that Mumei was such a brat for the most part and made so many bad decisions. She seemed like such a cool character at first. Everyone else didn't really develop in an interesting way, maybe except Ikoma's fat friend. At least they had pretty good designs...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Korra no Densetsu: Seishin Ep 7

Not only is this a complete rip off of Spirited Away, it fails to convey any sense of wonder as every character behaves as though they were in picture book, on the level of Dick and Jane of "See Spot Run" fame.

It's a shame because there's a classical mythopoetic antiquity story in there but it's completely submerged in this... vapidity.

Hajime no Ippo 19

Even the coach is making jokes about Ippo's penis size now. Exciting match though. Some good examples of exciting direction this episode, such as suddenly cutting off the music when Kobashi's final attack is thwarted by Ippo's abrupt reversal.

Jintor

i think everyone was crushed by s2 being total garbage and decided to latch onto that episode as being brilliant for whatever reason

manfestival

so is the term vajra just a generic name for monster types in japan? it seems like the vajra seem to have presence in more than one anime that I have seen

Narag

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 - 3
WPWUXxvl.jpg
zTXQHl9l.jpg

61gdsB0l.jpg
wHvmbZtl.jpg

Damn.Normally I'd say no case is too big for Milky Holmes to handle but this one put that notion to the test.

Clov

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 - 3

Damn.Normally I'd say no case is too big for Milky Holmes to handle but this one put that notion to the test.

Was this the episode where they went to prison? That one was my favorite, the ending was incredible.

Urusei Yatsura 074

The sequence inside the school as Onsen encountered the various manifestations of the ghost stories was great! It actually felt a bit creepy, and it had some well animated parts too. Also loved Mendou's attempt to bless his sword with the plum wine. That got a laugh out of me.

I can't wait to watch Kingsglaive. If only to really see if it's worse than Suicide Squad, or if (like usual) my opinion isn't the same as the movie critics. Maybe it'll get me a little more excited for the game too, who knows.

I stopped watching it because I was busy at the time, but man did it really go that bad?

The stupid fun to plain stupid ratio was okay in the first four episodes. The latter episodes introduce a lame villain who they have to focus way too much on because he's introduced too late. Mumei gets shafted in the plot. The animation/art, while never collapsing completely, doesn't match up to the early episodes. This would all be okay if the show didn't lose the fun factor, but honestly I was pretty bored during the latter episodes.

It's not the worst show I've seen this year, not even close. (I kept up with Taboo Tattoo for some reason after all.) That said, I feel pretty confident there are way better options in regards to action animation.

Clov

Urusei Yatsura 075

A thrilling episode! While it was obvious nobody would die for real, the presentation of the whole episode as a murder mystery made everything very exciting. It even had a nice (if obvious) twist ending. Definitely one of my favorite episodes so far.

ibyea

Banned
The stupid fun to plain stupid ratio was okay in the first four episodes. The latter episodes introduce a lame villain who they have to focus way too much on because he's introduced too late. Mumei gets shafted in the plot. The animation/art, while never collapsing completely, doesn't match up to the early episodes. This would all be okay if the show didn't lose the fun factor, but honestly I was pretty bored during the latter episodes.

It's not the worst show I've seen this year, not even close. (I kept up with Taboo Tattoo for some reason after all.) That said, I feel pretty confident there are way better options in regards to action animation.

Ah I see. Thanks for the summary.

JulianImp

Danganronpa 3: Future Arc 07

Note: Monaca died on her way back to her home planet.

This entire episode felt pointless. I like how the Future and Despair arcs play off each other, which each filling us in on some information that the other lacked. It didn't seem like this one built off of anything in the Despair arc. While we still might be missing a piece of the puzzle, but I doubt any future revelations could stop this episode from being boring.

Komaru and Touko's misadventures were probably as boring as getting a whole episode of Yasuhiro standing outside the second Hope's Peak Academy. Touko/Genocider's obsession with Byakuya is bearable when she's surrounded by other characters that shut her up after a while, but the joke wears thin fast otherwise. I remembered Asahina as not being that much of a moron, but her stupidity rivaled Akane's here just for the sake of a dumb gag.

Meanwhile, time stood still inside the academy until the very end of the episode, when Munakata obviously showed up behind Kirigiri's back.

Cornbread78

Taboo Tattoo ep.8
Well, that was something.... Totally asspull after asspull, but hey, lets just set tye world on fire while were at it. It's pretty sad to say this was one of the best episodes of the season because it managed to piss me off ever more with out s ton of loli x princess shit.

SkyOdin

so is the term vajra just a generic name for monster types in japan? it seems like the vajra seem to have presence in more than one anime that I have seen
Vajra refers to something from Hindu mythology/spiritual practice. The word itself means both thunderbolt and diamond, but it generally refers to the weapon used by Indra, the king of the Hindu Devas. A common hindu/buddhist ritual object is also called the Vajra, based on this. Furthermore, one of the three major sects of Buddhism is named after the Vajra.

It is an eastern religious reference.

Danganronpa 3: Future Arc 7
So this was an UDG themed episode that served only to confirm that none of the stuff from UDG matters here. Ok.

"Ultra Despair Girls is just a side game" they said
That's pretty much what this episode said. It feels more like a laugh at people thinking Monaka would be super important in the future than anything. If only cosmic hadn't gotten himself banned.

Cornbread78

Can anyone tell me why so many female love interests are being killed off shows this year? This is getting outrageous.

Won't anything think about the ships being sunk?

Can anyone tell me why so many female love interests are being killed off shows this year? This is getting outrageous.

Won't anything think about the ships being sunk?

Because female love interests dying makes you sad, and when a show makes you feel sad, it makes you praise the show for punching you in the feels.

That's the mathematics son! The 1 + 1 = 2 of emotional manipulation!

What shows are killing off love interests?

This too, I wasn't aware that dying love interests is a current trend right now, haha.

JulianImp

I'd actually love an episode like that, since I find Hagakure amusing.

I find him okay-ish in short amounts, and do wish he hadn't been kept out of the building as the killing game began but, like Touko, could not even fathom having an episode focus on him for any extent of time, since all he's got going for him is getting duped easily and not even being good at his ultimate talent (100% right 30% of the time, way to go).

...Now that I think about it, I don't actually like that many characters in the DR franchise. From the first game I only actually liked Junko because Junko and Sakura because of her relationship with Asahina, and from the second I liked Gundham because of his ham+sters, Kuzuryu because of his character development and Nagito because of how much of a troll character he was in a meta sense.

NeonZ

Urusei Yatsura 075

A thrilling episode! While it was obvious nobody would die for real, the presentation of the whole episode as a murder mystery made everything very exciting. It even had a nice (if obvious) twist ending. Definitely one of my favorite episodes so far.

I really like how many experimental anime only episodes there are at that point. Too bad it's already close to the ending of Oshii's run and he starts making a bunch of recaps.

NeonZ

(double post, sorry)

Meanwhile, time stood still inside the academy until the very end of the episode, when Munakata obviously showed up behind Kirigiri's back.

Were they even in the same room? The way those scenes were cut made it seem like that, but visually they didn't seem to be in nearby locations at all.

JulianImp

(double post, sorry)

Were they even in the same room? The way those scenes were cut made it seem like that, but visually they didn't seem to be in nearby locations at all.

It might be either one, but it seriously implied Munakata was out for blood or something along those lines in my eyes.

DR2 was fun in that the antagonist called out the games' trademark final episode introducing additional characters as a twist, so I sincerely hope the anime doesn't do the same thing for the third time in a row at the very least... Or perhaps they could have the final twist reveal that the mastermind was whoever's the equivalent of Scrappy Doo in the DR universe. That might be fun.

Clov

Urusei Yatsura 078

Brilliant episode! My favorite one yet, and perhaps the most Oshii-esque out of what I've seen so far. The dream-like atmosphere was much stronger than before, and we also get some of the imagery of ruined dystopian cityscapes and military vehicles that would recur throughout Oshii's work. The only thing missing is the basset hound! It was also far heavier on philosophical dialogue than any previous episode, this time focusing on dreams and reality. The repeated "awakenings" really reminded me of the mansion sequence from Innocence. You just know that something's not right about the reality that Ataru's mother is in, and you're initially unsure about whether the next place she wakes up in is real or not.

I don't know if this episode will be topped for me, but the show's been on a very impressive run of episodes so far! Looking forward to seeing more.

JulianImp

On an unrelated note, I watched the first (two-part) episode of Great Teacher Onizuka, and man was that good. I like that it's a comedy that develops its characters, and watching an older show does feel refreshing in how different it looks. The crazy reaction faces are certainly a plus.

Clov

I really like how many experimental anime only episodes there are at that point. Too bad it's already close to the ending of Oshii's run and he starts making a bunch of recaps.

I hope there's some good stuff left between now and 106, at least!

...Now that I think about it, I don't actually like that many characters in the DR franchise. From the first game I only actually liked Junko because Junko and Sakura because of her relationship with Asahina, and from the second I liked Gundham because of his ham+sters, Kuzuryu because of his character development and Nagito because of how much of a troll character he was in a meta sense.

My favorite characters in the series never make it through.
I suppose one survived on a technicality.
It's a bit painful. My favorite new character in Danganronpa 3 is still alive so far, but I'm not getting good vibes about their survival.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The next Steven Universe episode will apparently have sequences guest animated by Studio TRIGGER's Takafumi Hori.

javac

Got the last 5 episodes of Rakugo left. I'd have normally finished this show ages ago but man this show is incredible to watch at a slow pace. Wouldn't want to rush this for the world, need to savour this.

Cornbread78

They are? Didnt notice. I must not be watching the same shows.

Yeah, there's a couple, but they are both shitty shows, so....

Emotional manipulation.
Because female love interests dying makes you sad, and when a show makes you feel sad, it makes you praise the show for punching you in the feels.

That's the mathematics son! The 1 + 1 = 2 of emotional manipulation!

This too, I wasn't aware that dying love interests is a current trend right now, haha.

I guess it only works if the characters and story are good or at least interesting and it's not done in a totally ridiculas fashion, lol.

What shows are killing off love interests?

Qualidea Code & Taboo Tattoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom