• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Posted in here yet? Saw this in the "Anime Vindicated at the Olympics. It's our time in 2020" thread.

reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4xwlls/spoilersthe_2016_anime_olympics/

Just a heads up for anyone about to read this thread: there are major spoilers for various shows, so read at your own risk.

Going back a bit in the thread...

New Game 8
The change in weather to depict QA feeling is accurate. At first it all sunshine, then it all cloudy and gloomy after going trough the same events multiple time. It still a good job to get into the industry if you have no programming, business, IT, or designer background..

When I started out 15 years ago, QA was still a reasonable way to get into the industry if you stood out. Even at the larger publishers. I don't think it's as easy to do so these days, unless you manage to land a QA spot with a development team. Pay will also still be ridiculously low unless you manage to get to a lead/manager position or are capable of doing more technical testing. And even then, QA engineers in the gaming industry make nowhere near as much as QA folks in other software industries. Though to be fair, most of the time those kinds of positions are full-on developer/software engineer type of roles as opposed to your typical black-box testing in games.

Im watching a bunch of stuff I really like but they just don't bring lots of discussion.

Tales, TSE, D.Gray-Man, Cheer boys, etc

I'm pretty happy with this summer season, but positive talk can only bring a discussion so far.

I have absolutely no interest in this show, but one of those screenshots is the Akio car from Utena and that is not a reference I expected Danganronpa to make!

Danganronpa actually goes really deep on its reference game. The official translated versions don't bother with a lot of them when it comes to items but like 90% of them are Dragon Quest and ancient virtually unknown in the west Falcom games so whatever

Danganronpa 3: Future Arc 07

Note: Monaca died on her way back to her home planet.

This entire episode felt pointless. I like how the Future and Despair arcs play off each other, which each filling us in on some information that the other lacked. It didn't seem like this one built off of anything in the Despair arc. While we still might be missing a piece of the puzzle, but I doubt any future revelations could stop this episode from being boring.

I think this episode was just so that they could silence the "omg wheres toko/komaru/byakuya" and move on. My evidence is that Monaca literally blasted off into space because she was bored.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Women's wrestling doesn't have the actual wrestlers from Wanna Be The Strongest In The World.

Fencing will be a complete domination by Utena.

Taekwondo squads will leave noone alive. Especially if Mio unleashes the full power of the wooden cubes.

Missing out on one of the best anime comedies in years and one of the best shows of its year. It's like skipping on Ping Pong because you saw a screenshot of it and thought it looked worse than Attack on Titan.

But, but... GAF taught me that we don't like to play games under 1080p and 60fps!! We gotta get dem shiny looking graphics!!

Jintor

New game 8

I really appreciate the subbers took the time to translate Nene's notes. Hi crunchy

The AD whose name I never remember teasing Nene about the theft was hilarious.

Jintor

Missing out on one of the best anime comedies in years and one of the best shows of its year. It's like skipping on Ping Pong because you saw a screenshot of it and thought it looked worse than Attack on Titan.

I'll admit basing an opinion in Wikipedia summaries is stupid, sure

Clov

Yeah I heard about that. I wonder if they'll release it under their Masters of Cinema line in which they also have the 1927 classic of the same name. Metropolis is an awesome film, hopefully this is a sign of Sony sublicensing their stuff because I'd love to see Tokyo Godfathers, Steamboy and Memories out here on Blu-ray!

Sony sublicensing the titles they have no intention of releasing would be amazing! Hoping this UK release is a good sign as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People are for the most part outside in the Summer during their free time.
MZHWosr.gif
You know what thread you're in right?

There's not much going on outside of Re:Zero, and even Re:Zero is starting to fall off a little.

I'm noticing more people are talking about Alderamin on the Sky and 91 Days so I guess it's coming along at an OK pace?
Well I could discuss Love Live Sunshine, but it's worth my time more to post about it in the Love Live thread or Love Live line group where people will be more interested.

blurr

New Game 08

Nenecchi's appearance in the office I saw in the previews had me looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint(entirely). Reactions are quite a delight as is with many other shows in this genre. All the more with great animation in general. Aoi's utter innocence and her preconceptions of a work place is another aspect that adds to the hilarity. This episode showed the she had grown a little when put in contrast with her friend Nenecchi.

As excited about Summer vacation as she was, Nenecchi had no other plans but spend her time with Aoba. Unfortunately Aoba doesn't have a vacation any time soon so Nenecchi goes as far as joining in her company as a part time debugger just to spend time with her. She learns about QA and how it can suck the soul out of you if you think it is about having fun playing games and making money. Poor little Nenechhi went on to break the anime commandment that requires you to check for names on Pudding cups left in the refrigerator, especially if there's just one. What followed was an attempt to apologise which she later refrained as a result of being intimidated. Fortunately for her, the manager is quite perceptive. I had hoped she would still go in and apologise to see how they would react but this turned out differently which is cool but I'm just a bit bummed she didn't openly apologise.

Cheer Boys Episode 7

yes I love this type of drama. Team Hisashi though, the other characters need to get serious about things, too much off time and resting isnt going to get them to the other teams level.

Clov

Urusei Yatsura 065

I'm really hoping that this is the extent of the show's homophobia, but my hopes aren't very high. Was it really necessary to have Ataru speak multiple times about how two girls having a relationship is "wrong", or having Mendou claim that it's "twisted"? While I can't expect something from the 80s to be progressive (much less a Japanese anime from the 80s), this is still a garbage episode. It's a pity, since there was some nice direction for a brief moment during the rowboat scene.

javac

Sony sublicensing the titles they have no intention of releasing would be amazing! Hoping this UK release is a good sign as well.

Andrew at Anime Limited has been pursuing the rights to release Cowboy Bebop: The Movie as a means to include it in a Bebop complete collection and has this to say:
britguy:
BRILLIANT NEWS!
If they can get more from Sony now, including maybe even Cowboy Bebop, that would be amazing!
anime_andrew:
It's great news! Would be especially cheesed if someone got first look on the film though before us! Current talks suggest better news on that frontier though...

So it looks like Sony indeed might be considering sublicensing titles in the future.

Cornbread78

Wal-Mart currently has an endcap dedicated to anime in the movie sections. It's a shame, it's mostly DVD's but the Cowboy Bebob Movie bd is only $9.97

Chindogg

So much disrespect in one line. Amazing lol.

But so true, even for me.
Although the summer anime season has mostly sucked.

Urusei Yatsura 065

I'm really hoping that this is the extent of the show's homophobia, but my hopes aren't very high. Was it really necessary to have Ataru speak multiple times about how two girls having a relationship is "wrong", or having Mendou claim that it's "twisted"? While I can't expect something from the 80s to be progressive (much less a Japanese anime from the 80s), this is still a garbage episode. It's a pity, since there was some nice direction for a brief moment during the rowboat scene.

Ataru and Mendou are actually shitbag characters with some redeeming qualities, aka males in the 80s.

Clov

Ataru and Mendou are actually shitbag characters with some redeeming qualities, aka males in the 80s.

Emphasis on the shitbag, for sure. :p Neither of them are exactly likable. In fact, a lot of the cast isn't really likable either; it's a good thing that the show can be quite funny and well directed. Still, episodes like 65 are pretty cringeworthy, and I have a bad feeling that there's going to be more episodes in that vein now that Ryuunosuke is a recurring character.

Chindogg

Emphasis on the shitbag, for sure. :p Neither of them are exactly likable. In fact, a lot of the cast isn't really likable either; it's a good thing that the show can be quite funny and well directed. Still, episodes like 65 are pretty cringeworthy, and I have a bad feeling that there's going to be more episodes in that vein now that Ryuunosuke is a recurring character.

Yeah when you look at it with modern eyes it can be a bit rough. It's kinda like watching All in The Family now. Clearly things have changed over the last 30 years.

It's still my favorite series because it is absolutely hilarious, but like the racist Looney Tunes of the era you kinda have to just acknowledge things like the homophobia that it's old thinking and look past it. Still a noteworthy criticism, but it is what it is. *shrugs*

Also, Ryuunosuke is one of my favorite characters in the series. She's awesome.

Taruranto

Denka #8

I think he meant literally. Last episodes had jRPG tier writing. So better make sure Arslan did all the sub-quests and whatnot.

This was a fairly terrible season. Arslan S1 was by no means perfect, but it was a decent show nevertheless. This season felt like it took the worst aspects of the first season, Arslan still a puppet, Narsus still a giant sue, the major arc felt like a filler, the pacing was horrendous.

The only thing I liked was Grahze, who didn't get enough screen time anyway.

And how did Silver Mask get another army anyway?

Squishy3

Heil Monaka #7

Whoever she is. I haven't played UDS.

Also... lesbians?

Did they explain why the sky is always red? Did they release Radical 6 here too?
ultra despair girls spoilers if you want to know
she's one of the bratty children of despair who nagito tells her at the end of the game she should become the successor to junko

Clov

Yeah when you look at it with modern eyes it can be a bit rough. It's kinda like watching All in The Family now. Clearly things have changed over the last 30 years.

It's still my favorite series because it is absolutely hilarious, but like the racist Looney Tunes of the era you kinda have to just acknowledge things like the homophobia that it's old thinking and look past it. Still a noteworthy criticism, but it is what it is. *shrugs*

Also, Ryuunosuke is one of my favorite characters in the series. She's awesome.

Yeah, it's age is partly to blame here. Yet while we can understand why it's homophobic, we shouldn't excuse it. It's a product of its time, but as you said it's still something that ought to be criticized.

Szadek

Monster - Ep. 31-32
Looks like Lunge and Anna also arrived in time for the midway climax thats unquestionably coming very soon.
I wonder if Eva is going to join the party as well. She is the only main character missing after all.

Tuck

Mob Psycho - 7
This was fantastic. Really showed the brother's descent well. And it was surprisingly funny at parts too.

EDIT: Also I really like how in the preview for next week, the guy always encourages people to buy the show

Sölf

Denka #8

I think he meant literally. Last episodes had jRPG tier writing. So better make sure Arslan did all the sub-quests and whatnot.

This was a fairly terrible season. Arslan S1 was by no means perfect, but it was a decent show nevertheless. This season felt like it took the worst aspects of the first season, Arslan still a puppet, Narsus still a giant sue, the major arc felt like a filler, the pacing was horrendous.

The only thing I liked was Grahze, who didn't get enough screen time anyway.

And how did Silver Mask get another army anyway?

I am pretty sure those were his men from the get go. Royal Parsians and what not.

Scar-red Rider XechS Episode 8 To Be Someone

Gun sound effects in anime need to be better, especially if used to kill someone, it sounded so fake.

Hako finally getting the answers was pretty intense scene, especially at the end of the reveal of the "game." Her and the inspector ruined things ugh.

KENN singing voice is still awesome, great ending song to play over the intense moments.

Aki-at

My Love Story!! - 6

Ai is such a great character and the performance and animation for the above segment was perfect. Starting off as an unenthusiastic voice and look with each successive quality Yamoto points out about Takeo bringing more and more life into Ai's voice and her eyes opening up more until she starts laughing hysterical as Makoto just gives getting further away from the two and is like "Nope" was perfect. What a brilliant show this is, I'm absolutely loving every single joke. On a final note...

I wasn't expecting a kiss this soon! This must be a record for a romance anime.

Amazing World of Gumball S4 - 37

Finally I can say Gumball is the best anime I've ever watched.

Qurupeke

Yona of the Dawn 18-20
lgQTxNz.png
Bynnje8.png

nrRpcrz.png
z9cZe0s.png

Wow, Hak is kinky. And the show certainly does a good job on selling Yun as wife material...

After the Blue Dragon's arc of mostly flashbacks, I'm really enjoying this one and the plot seems a step up from anything so far. Yona continues to question herself but she doesn't give up, instead she is getting stronger. I really like her character and she keeps getting better. The tsundere Green Dragon quickly became one of my favourite characters too and his scenes with Yona are top stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom