• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
k-on is garbage and the crap it spawned is even worse.
if I had multiple wishes from a genie one of them would be to remove all 4 girls in a club doing cute shit anime from the world >.<;

Wow

*removes zulux from Japan trip list*

;p

We would all be in a better place if, instead of cute girls doing cute things, current anime trends involve cute girls being meta and wide girls doing wide things.

Imagine how much better New Game would be if it was wide.

Isn't it about muppet girls doing muppet things this season, because Amanchu.

Line_HTX

New Game! 08

2KJ5UKS.png

I wonder how the publishers would react if they found the "beta" version unsatisfactory. Good thing they had Sakura make a long list of everything that was unusual besides freezing at certain points.

I heard from a couple of friends long ago who did testing before and they said it was beyond tedious trying to find every little thing that was off or bugged for hours upon hours on end. Definitely would not want that part of the job, lol

zulux21

That's simple because anime has become more common. The end.

that is likely part of it as well.
have to scrape the bottom of the barrel when making more shows :p

I still am gonna blame k-on and there ain't nothin' no one can do it about :p

:p

Theonik

AnimeGAF darlings huh? I'll take a few guesses:
  • Mushishi (Yet to watch it myself)
  • Redline (also yet to see this one)
  • Denno Coil (Same...)
  • Ojamajo Doremi (Should I watch this one?)
  • Gunbuster
  • Utena
  • Sword of the Stranger
AnimeGAF generally dislikes Redline as a film. Good looking though.

Hyouka has its fair share of detractors from traitors malcontents plebians certain people.

K-On is trash tho.
Wow. How can a puck be so wrong.

We would all be in a better place if, instead of cute girls doing cute things, current anime trends involve cute girls being meta and wide girls doing wide things.

Imagine how much better New Game would be if it was wide.
Just watch it in a 21:9 monitor stretched.

I can't deal with wide. Its totally messed up. A face shouldn't look like that.
Bad taste.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Isn't it about muppet girls doing muppet things this season, because Amanchu.

The only person who'd care about Amanchu, firehawk, isn't even watching it.

Anyway this season is all about chasing the 3DPD otaku in your art club.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
New Game! 08

2KJ5UKS.png

I wonder how the publishers would react if they found the "beta" version unsatisfactory. Good thing they had Sakura make a long list of everything that was unusual besides freezing at certain points.

I heard from a couple of friends long ago who did testing before and they said it was beyond tedious trying to find every little thing that was off or bugged for hours upon hours on end. Definitely would not want that part of the job, lol
Yeah QA testers usually have to class bugs on how severe they are. Maybe i should watch this show...

jman2050

Yeah QA testers usually have to class bugs on how severe they are. Maybe i should watch this show...

At least when QA testing a game you're dealing with something with pretty colors and some semblence of variety.

I can't imagine the tedium that would be testing office productivity software.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Do you think he has time for anime when there are twenty seven idol mobage games to play?

Those aren't even real games. I can't imagine it takes any significant amount of attention to "play" them.

Just rub the screen up and down furiously right?

I'm sure there's plenty of white people tv taking up his brainspace though.

DiGiKerot

Those aren't even real games. I can't imagine it takes any significant amount of attention to "play" them.

Maaaan, the high-tier songs on LLSIF and Starlight Stage are freaking hard, man. Require absolute attention and inhumanly fast fingers and/or thumbs.

I'm so glad I quit playing mobile phone gatcha games. So very, very glad.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
At least when QA testing a game you're dealing with something with pretty colors and some semblence of variety.

I can't imagine the tedium that would be testing office productivity software.
This is pretty much sums up the fun of QA Testing:
770836278_VG7Cr-1050x10000.jpg

I'd hate to be the guy who tested kinect games.

Szadek

Heartcatch Precure! - Ep. 1-2
This is one gorgeous looking anime and the action scenes were pretty good,too.
Other than that it's pretty typical magical girl stuff, but that's perfectly fine with me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

They're harder than yo' Dark Souls. I can tell you that for free bruddah.

And one of those games (it's closed down now) was based on Glee, combining his love for idol rhythm games and white people tv!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
New Game! 08

3 options:
1. Redo the whole things
2. Fix the problematic part
3. Abandon the project (usually only happen on alpha, but could happen on gold candidate)

QA testing will require you to do abnormal user behavior to find every little things, so yeah...

Kono bijutsu 3-4

It's not a high art or something, but i sure enjoy these club members antic. Better Subaru than the other Subaru. Also, the character animation are surprisingly good. It's not really in your face or something, but really subtle, similar to SNAFU character animation.

Eumi

"Hey, it seems people really didn't give a shit about Monaca, do we stick with her?"

"Hey, that gives me an idea..."

Still, I said it last week and I'll say it again: Every time Kamukura isn't on the screen, everybody should be asking "Where's Kamukura?".

Random curiosity and figure some of you guys may have come across this:

What do the various subbers/most common translation do you guys see for ”&#12374;&#12414;&#12353;&#12415;&#12429;”&#12288;(zamaamiro.) Friend was watching Jojo or something and was asking me about it. It's one of those things that means like 5 different but fairly similar explanations. I hear it a few times a week here but never had to explain it in English exactly haha.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Replace prison with QA testing labour.

Crime will go down and games will be better.

The perfect solution.

Gorlak

Banned
Hey there! I've no idea if this is the right place, but I figured you might help me :)

Lately I'm kind of digging short shonen anime series, I've watched and enjoyed the following so far:

One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Tokyo Ghoul
Attack on Titan

Back in my childhood I was a huge fanboy of Dragon Ball and mostly for nostalgic reasons I still enjoy DB Super (but I'm holding back on watching it now for a certain time period). Out of the above mentioned I think One Punch Man was the best very closely followed by Tokyo Ghoul Season 1. The whole philosophical approach and the depiction of two sides each having reasonable motives for their actions was great. I also like the low action amount which fits the series. No need to talk about S2 because everything that was great went missing and it became a 08/15 fighting anime.

I'm looking for a new series :) I like them to be quite short, anything over 100 episodes and I'm instantly turned off. Preferably at least the first season should be finished already. The focus does not have to revolve around battle/fighting scenes, but as you can see I still enjoy those. Beserk is a no no at least if this "Nudity and Sex (mostly rape really)" is really a substantial part of it. Nevertheless something more "grown up" would be worthy looking into as well... complex topics, questions of morality etc.

Thank you so far, does anyone have recommendations?

Eumi

Hey there! I've no idea if this is the right place, but I figured you might help me :)

Lately I'm kind of digging short shonen anime series, I've watched and enjoyed the following so far:

One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Tokyo Ghoul
Attack on Titan

Back in my childhood I was a huge fanboy of Dragon Ball and mostly for nostalgic reasons I still enjoy DB Super (but I'm holding back on watching it now for a certain time period). Out of the above mentioned I think One Punch Man was the best very closely followed by Tokyo Ghoul Season 1. The whole philosophical approach and the depiction of two sides each having reasonable motives for their actions was great. I also like the low action amount which fits the series. No need to talk about S2 because everything that was great went missing and it became a 08/15 fighting anime.

I'm looking for a new series :) I like them to be quite short, anything over 100 episodes and I'm instantly turned off. Preferably at least the first season should be finished already. The focus does not have to revolve around battle/fighting scenes, but as you can see I still enjoy those. Beserk is a no no at least if this "Nudity and Sex (mostly rape really)" is really a substantial part of it. Nevertheless something more "grown up" would be worthy looking into as well... complex topics, questions of morality etc.

I feel like someone recommends this every time someone asks for suggestions, but Gurren Lagann is a great pick. It's one season that does the whole story, has some amazing fight scenes and it's also a great gateway into giant robot shows. Plus it kind of tackles some complex philosophical stuff towards the end, although I wouldn't go into it looking for that.

T-Rex.

Banned

One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Tokyo Ghoul
Attack on Titan

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Fate/Zero
Unlimited Blade Works (TV)
Gurren Lagann
K (maybe)

I'd recommend Hunter x Hunter as well which is brilliant, but that's well over 100 episodes.

phaze

One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Tokyo Ghoul
Attack on Titan

Fate/Zero is a stand alone and finished series that sounds like right up your alley to me. FS/N:UBW if you like F/Z and want a follow up on the story.
FMA:Brotherhood is a fairly long series but it's a widely acclaimed shounen with some consistently great action. Original FMA (from 2003) is also acceptable.

Edit: beaten handily. lol To add some variance to these recs I'll add Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas with an addendum that it only adapts half of the manga and is thus unfinished in anime form though that doesn't seem to bother you too much.

BluWacky

Some more recent recommendations:

Noragami - has two 13 episode seasons
The currently running Mob Psycho 100 - not as all out action perhaps as the other shows you've listed, but it's by the author of One Punch Man and probably a bit better. Only 7 episodes so far.
Kekkai Sensen (also known as Blood Blockade Battlefront) (13 episodes)
Code:Breaker (13 episodes)
Ao no Exorcist (26 episodes, and there's a movie as well, so might be a bit long)

If you liked Attack on Titan, you may also enjoy the very recent Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, which is heavily inspired by it in many, many ways (not least having essentially the same creative team working on it). (13 episodes)

Since you like shonen stuff try

Haikyu, Kuroko's basketball or Big Windup. These are very great sports anime. I really recommend those 3.

Also Gundam build fighters and Gundam build fighters try if you want some amazing mecha action.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I kind of want to suggest Gintama, since it really is one of the best, but it is indeed one of those super long shows you don't want. However, unlike other long shows, it's mostly episodic and comedic, but it often has serious arcs that would satisfy your desire for short, action filled, show with two sides that aren't black and white good vs evil. But you can't really watch just the serious parts without the contrast of the comedy stuff, especially since the comedy episodes are what define the characters. Maybe keep it on the back burner and slowly work your way through it while watching other things.

There's also JoJo. Despite looking long, each arc is it's own story (though they share the same history, so a later arc will reference stuff from an older one). So you can watch each one as it's own thing, making it a series of short shounen shows.

And for some wild card shounen suggestions. None of these are action shounen, but they're short and fun and part of the GAF top shounen list I may and may not have made up:
Cromartie High School - high school comedy about rebellious students
Shinryaku! Ika Musume - comedy about a squid girl. If you've played Splatoon, you may recognise the outfit
Gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun - Parody of shoujo (but it's a shounen series don't worry) tropes
Watamote - Biography about GAF
Silver Spoon - show about farming. More exciting than it sounds

Ascheroth

One Punch Man
My Hero Academia
Tokyo Ghoul
Attack on Titan

If you liked One Punch Man, check out the currently airing Mob Psycho 100, from the same creater. Different stlye from OPM but I'd say the animation is even better (and more consistent) and it certainly tackles more mature topics. I think it's going to be 12 episodes.

Fate/Zero (25 episodes): probably what fits your last sentence the most. Also has great action.
Gurren Lagann (27 episodes): because it's just balls to the walls awesome
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks: not as good and 'deep' as Fate/Zero and way more shonen, but still a good watch with great action.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (64 episodes): it's long, but great throughout
Hunter x Hunter 2011 (148 episodes): ...it's over 100 episodes, but it's arguably one of the best shonen in existence.

And I'm seconding Kekkai Sensen and JoJo as well. (And Gintama, but yeah, it's loooooooooong)

eggandI

Banned
Just watched that Granblue PV. It honestly doesn't look very good but I'm a sucker for fantasy anime so I added it to my PTW.

Plus it's the same studio that made Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, one of my favorites from that season.

It will be the best investment I have ever made.

Taboo Tattoo 08

I call absolute bullshit on Seigi's asspull power up just because he wanted to happen.
I'm even more glad that Touko died because Seigi sucks and I don't want to see more of her drooling over his dick.
Princess da bes.

New Game! 08

As far as I've heard being a Q&Q debugger is the absolute worst fucking job in the video game industry and I pity Aoba's friend for choosing to do it. Good thing she seems to have an eye for details though, now watch her go through the ranks and be pretty damn good at her job there.

Who the fuck feels guilty over a pudding? It looks like it taste delcious. I would have eaten it and not felt one lick of guilt.

Cornbread78

Just watched that Granblue PV. It honestly doesn't look very good but I'm a sucker for fantasy anime so I added it to my PTW.

Plus it's the same studio that made Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, one of my favorites from that season.

So what your saying is that we should be ready to get all sorts of awkward butt and boob focus shots in Granblue as well..

eggandI

Banned
lol hopefully not. I literally groaned at some of those contrived ecchi shots in Grimgar.

Just felt completely out of place in that show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom