• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just T

New Game: 8

Nene is a mix of fun and annoyance. Most of her interactions with Aoba's co-workers were entertaining though. Her voice can be a bit much after a while but it could be worse, like Flora from Asterisk S2. Didn't like the whole pudding incident, something about it was irritating.

Amaama to Inazuma: 8

That was not Mikio's day lol had to keep his clay and proposal. Those "mom" scenes be switching the mood quick but glad he found a way to spruce up the bag a bit.

zulux21

So lots of anime nerds in here.

What anime characters are there that have similar abilities to the following.

Empathy, being able to sense how others feel in general.
what about telepathic. being able to read other's minds?
and what about including plants and animals (like a druid) with those abilities?

for the record, I am not looking for a right answer, just curious how many there are in general.

I am thinking some of the princess of the land (can sense you are destroying the land) characters could count. but I am drawing a blank at many of them in general, and can't think of a single one in a comedy role.

Hajime no Ippo 20

Extremely strong episode, particularly in character art and animation. A lot of attention was paid to visually expressive characterization, and it paid dividends from Takamura's rage in his title match to Aoki's frustration at being teased by the others at his ramen place. Takeshi Koike's animation for Hayami's fight did a good job setting him up as a seemingly insurmountable opponent for Ippo, as Hayami easily handles a strategy similar to the one Ippo's coach had told him to use. I'm interested in seeing what Ippo does to try to deal with Hayami.

Jintor

also aoba didn't know what an fps was. i guess it's actually probably easier in japan to play games and not know that maybe, especially for her demo

blurr

and what about including plants and animals (like a druid) with those abilities?

for the record, I am not looking for a right answer, just curious how many there are in general.

I am thinking some of the princess of the land (can sense you are destroying the land) characters could count. but I am drawing a blank at many of them in general, and can't think of a single one in a comedy role.

I can only think of the characters in Kokoro Connect who partially fit in that description.

DiGiKerot

The show Earth Maiden Arjuna, as it often does, is springing to mind right now for some reason.

It's the only show I can think of in which our heroine truly becomes one with the delicious, delicious Merkin Burger.

BluWacky

More people need to watch Arjuna and realize how absolutely shitty their own birth was.

I still like that episode. It's got my favourite bit of unreleased music from the show in it (the track that plays when they're on the train out to the sea) and despite it being a crackpot DVD only episode there's some really effective sequences and visuals.

Plus how often does anime, of all things, end an episode with
the leads getting it on except the guy appears to suffer from premature ejaculation
?

manfestival

Vajra refers to something from Hindu mythology/spiritual practice. The word itself means both thunderbolt and diamond, but it generally refers to the weapon used by Indra, the king of the Hindu Devas. A common hindu/buddhist ritual object is also called the Vajra, based on this. Furthermore, one of the three major sects of Buddhism is named after the Vajra.

It is an eastern religious reference.

that certainly makes sense and would explain the use of the term as often as I have (i mean I see it from time to time)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The next Steven Universe episode will apparently have sequences guest animated by Studio TRIGGER's Takafumi Hori.

Another one? If people are so excited about "anime" sequences in their shows, just watch Japanimation. They're full of them on a weekly basis!

zulux21

Another one? If people are so excited about "anime" sequences in their shows, just watch Japanimation. They're full of them on a weekly basis!

while i don't watch gumball....

steven universe is very anime already. so an anime scene for the series would just be fitting after their recent initial D, k-on and EVA homages.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

You know what you have to do. Add Gumball and Steven Universe to the OP!

tumblr_ocdzvtun2Y1rcmzqeo2_500.gif

/XX/

A journey that began with Sunao Katabuchi commencing on-site pre-production documentation practically on its own and along 'penny pincher' Mr. Maruyama, without even a defined budget until further down the road a measly crowdfunding campaing gave them some light jumpstart... and the end result looks like this? Simply amazing!

We should be thankful Mr. Katabuchi writes down a lot of interesting information about the work progress on his personal WEB ANIMESTYLE column (http://animestyle.jp/column/1300/), because this MIRACLE is worth of a in-depth study on how to handle cheaply a rough production start-up.

The next Steven Universe episode will apparently have sequences guest animated by Studio TRIGGER's Takafumi Hori.
Just think of it as a mere fan of the series like Mr. Hori wanting to collaborate in what he truly appreciates.

Having the possibility of contacting easily those creators that inspire you and offering directly your services shouldn't be seen just as whole industries of different countries colluding and taking advantage of the other's "indigenous" stylistic approaches for one-off distinctive results, but maybe as a new normal of talented individuals sharing each other's expertise for a true fusion above any percibed nation's "identity" or other equally aggravating generalization.

This seems like globalization at its finest! :)

Jarmel

Banned
Urusei Yatsura-1
This was wild. The episode introduces Ataru, our protagonist, literally drooling over a woman before he proceeds to beat up an old man. After which it turns out that he's the unlucky participant in this duel for the ownership freedom of Earth. Despite his own freedom along with billions of others being on the line, he doesn't give a rat's ass.
Ataru only decides to change his mind and participate when he sees Lum, the person he is going to be dueling with. The only reason he changes his mind is so that he can grope Lum's body. Oh yea and before he sees Lum, he's sexually harassing his classmate Shinobu.
So the dude participates in this 'duel' of tag and proceeds to hilariously fail. He apparently didn't count on her flying and so resorts to Wile E. Coyote level of tactics and has about the same level of luck. So time is running out and as a result people are getting angry at Ataru for being an useless piece of shit. In fact, there's a lynch mob forming ready to murder Ataru and his entire family. He's ready to give up until Shinobu agrees to marry him if he wins, shortly after when she hugs him, he tries to grab her ass.
Ll6e9VI.png

His own mother is lamenting his birth.
So how does Ataru win this duel? By using a grappling hook and swiping Lum's top, exposing her breasts to the world. She panicks and he takes advantage and grabs her horns thus winning the duel. However the dumbass kept mentioning the promise Shinobu did the previous night and Lum takes that as a marriage proposal. Oops. Now normally I'm somewhat against tsundere violence but considering how Ataru is one of the biggest pieces of shit I've seen, somebody needed to put a collar on this dog. Now the episode skips ahead a number of days(?) in which Lum returns home to get some Alien Registration card, because she doesn't want to be an illegal alien I guess. During this period, Ataru tried to flee the country to get out of the Lum marriage agreement but is kidnapped by his classmates who seem horny as all hell and want Ataru out of the picture so they can try and get together with Lum.
XFKySd1.png

MetroidPrimeRib's favorite club.
The school seems fairly liberal in regards to which clubs are allowed. Anyway these dumb classmates end up accidentally calling a space taxi that charges the brats, "All of the Earth's oil".
rDjOMFF.png

Because oil and Arabs go hand in hand right?
Well apparently Space Taxi unions have a lot more power than their Earth counterparts as they just up and take Earth's oil. So now our protagonist is responsible for worldwide oil shortages and consequential riots, in which I'm sure thousands have died.
Well I guess it's time. Only except Lum bails him out on the condition she lives with him. She comes back, with newfound fangs, and agrees to pay the bill. Now a hot girl is offering to move in with you and agrees to fix your colossal fuck up and what do you say? You obviously say no. Wait wut? Ataru is firmly against this despite being as horny as Lum physically is. He is looking at a 'Get out of Jail Free' card and rips it up. He only agrees after his classmates beat the everlasting shit out of him. His mother was right.
The Taxi Union agrees to return the oil and does so by delivering it in the form of a rainstorm that apparently makes the Baton Rouge flood look like a drought. So now our protagonist is responsible for two near extinction level disasters within a span of roughly a month. Why Shinobu is remotely interested in this loser, I have no idea. The dude gropes her and overall sexually assaults her but she of course gets jealous when another girl enters the picture. 80's anime was wild huh?
Lum is good people tho.

Jarmel's post has successfully convinced me to continue putting off watching Urusei Yatsura. Sad!

Sabre's Backlog:

Cardcaptor Sakura (Currently on episode 18)
Princess Nine
Hayate the Combat Butler
Slayers Revolution

DiGiKerot

This one has been on my list forever now. It looks good.

The original SynergySP run (the 50-ish episode series) of Hayate is. They got pretty daft and went off-manga in some pretty funny ways. It reminds me of how the Kodomo no Omocha TV show ended up in a lot of ways (heck, they even did a Nabeshin cameo episode!)

Everything after that is increasingly diminishing returns, though.

Cornbread78

The original SynergySP run (the 50-ish episode series) of Hayate is. They got pretty daft and went off-manga in some pretty funny ways. It reminds me of how the Kodomo no Omocha TV show ended up in a lot of ways (heck, they even did a Nabeshin cameo episode!)

So it's an incomplete adaptation? Is it still ongoing?

DiGiKerot

So it's an incomplete adaptation? Is it still ongoing?

The manga is still ongoing. The anime not so much - the first couple of runs (The 50 episode series produced by SyngerySP and the 25episode JC Staff show) basically follow the manga, but the anime adaptions after that are rather all over the place. There's big jumps in the continuity in the later shows in such a fashion that the characters in the show at one point even comment that those who aren't also reading the manga will likely be completely lost as well.

Basically, if you are going to watch it, I'd honestly just recommend watching that first 50episode show, and ignoring everything after that. It's complete enough in itself.

Cornbread78

The manga is still ongoing. The anime not so much - the first couple of runs (The 50 episode series produced by SyngerySP and the 25episode JC Staff show) basically follow the manga, but the anime adaptions after that are rather all over the place. There's big jumps in the continuity in the later shows in such a fashion that the characters in the show at one point even comment that those who aren't also reading the manga will likely be completely lost as well.

Basically, if you are going to watch it, I'd honestly just recommend watching that first 50episode show, and ignoring everything after that. It's complete enough in itself.

Fair enough. I'll only watch the original run as long as it has a satisfying conclusion at that point.

/XX/

There is probably no better example than episode 39 and its self-referencing parody of GAiNAX works (by proxy of former 'alumni' Satoshi Yamaguchi for a GONZO outsourced episode nonetheless)... featuring Seiya, a Viral clone, GL 'ganmen' and eyecatches, Kanada's fire dragons and much more!

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.20
NAN3i8S.jpg

Daammnnn, what a fight!! Outside of the obvious asspull power-ups happening for Rokuro; (which is expected of these kinds of shows) that was an AWESOME fight to the end!!! That scene with
the fallen children supporting Rokuro to defeat Yuto
was original and pretty emotional at the same time (got me hyped, lol). Same for the scene with Benio right after the battle... Obviously, it defies the "rules" of their world as we know them and it will probably aggravate those that hate asspulls, but it was well done scene that shows the true support those two have behind them. I also loved the way they used the lights turning on from behind Rokuro towards Benio as Rokuro
gave her the hair pins at the fair
to symbolized him
passing his love onto her
(come on baby light my fire)

These two crazy kids have come a long way together and are now on the same peg for real now. This episode and the show in general is a great mix of action, character development and relationship development. That final scene though.... Mayura? WTF?!? Please don't get in the way.....

I think I just haven't gotten sick of these types of Shounen shows like many others have, so most of the "generic" stuff doesn't bother me as much. I should watch more Fairy Tale, lol. The show is really entertaining to watch though.

Line_HTX

Nice...

I still need to find something for a Let's Watch soon , but 52 episodes is probably too long.

Is Last Exile streaming anywhere?

I think Funimation has the license since they rescued it from Geneon going bankrupt, but I don't know if they're streaming it. It's really underrated and the dub brings out the setting and battles better.

phaze

Psycho-Pass ~18-22 END

After inoffensive but uninspired standalone arcs, the last quarter of the show came off as a fairly substantial improvement. I think what I ended up liking the most was the main cast from the bureau and how relatively grounded they were and how believable their responses to the Sibyl System felt. Whether its Kogami's rebellion against or Akane's grudging acceptance of the system, or just Ginoza's increasingly desperate attempts to fit within it, it was just one of the not so frequent times where I didn't feel like I needed a degree in "Understanding people who fell from stairs on their Head" to understand what moves them, what motivates them. Kunizuka and Kagari are unfortunately severely starved of screentime but even in that short timeframe
the latter gets and despite his position in society and how Sibyl fucked him over, Kagari laughs off the betrayal proposal from the villain, understanding both what shitheads they were and what kind of life and chances he would have if he agreed.

While I have some issues with some of how Psycho-Pass society and the workings of the system function or are presented, the series still manages to put under magnifying glass same interesting subjects in particular the source of Law, its legitimacy, people's compliance to it or their culpability for their crimes.

Psycho-Pass is this weird show that never does anything outright bad but it only rarely goes above eternally straddling the mediocre/decent line. This applies to the the visuals too which, outside of occasionally nice city vistas or the, cqc fights never really flex their muscles. Uhhh I guess what I'm trying to say here is is that Psycho-Pass is a watchable enough show ? I've seen worse, much worse.

Psycho-Pass ~18-22 END

After inoffensive but uninspired standalone arcs, the last quarter of the show came off as a fairly substantial improvement. I think what I ended up liking the most was the main cast from the bureau and how relatively grounded they were and how believable their responses to the Sibyl System felt. Whether its Kogami's rebellion against or Akane's grudging acceptance of the system, or just Ginoza's increasingly desperate attempts to fit within it, it was just one of the not so frequent times where I didn't feel like I needed a degree in "Understanding people who fell from stairs on their Head" to understand what moves them, what motivates them. Kunizuka and Kagari are unfortunately severely starved of screentime but even in that short timeframe
the latter gets and despite his position in society and how Sibyl fucked him over, Kagari laughs off the betrayal proposal from the villain, understanding both what shitheads they were and what kind of life and chances he would have if he agreed.

While I have some issues with some of how Psycho-Pass society and the workings of the system function or are presented, the series still manages to put under magnifying glass same interesting subjects in particular the source of Law, its legitimacy, people's compliance to it or their culpability for their crimes.

Psycho-Pass is this weird show that never does anything outright bad but it only rarely goes above eternally straddling the mediocre/decent line. This applies to the the visuals too which, outside of occasionally nice city vistas or the, cqc fights never really flex their muscles. Uhhh I guess what I'm trying to say here is is that Psycho-Pass is a watchable enough show ? I've seen worse, much worse.

Now go watch the movie and avoid the second season at all costs!

Cornbread78

I think Funimation has the license since they rescued it from Geneon going bankrupt, but I don't know if they're streaming it. It's really underrated and the dub brings out the setting and battles better.

I've heard good things about it, so it's one of the next ones I'm going to watch. I actually wish it was streaming right now, so I could use it for a Let's Watch, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom