• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Mob Psycho 100 07

Things are really heating up with Ritsu and the show isn't subtle about it visually and even in terms of narrative exposition. Great episode overall. It seems that the student council president created a monster without realizing and now he suffers. This sort of reminded me of Gilgamesh and Kotomine from Fate/Zero albeit neither of them suffered (brb rewatching Kotomine vs Kiritsugu).

I laughed out loud at the con artist scene with Mob and Reigen. Not sure what caused all those things to break and fall. Reigen?!

Bloody good character art as usual but it kind of stood out more this episode, probably thanks to the menacing thugs of various sizes and appearances.

Ascheroth

Mob Psycho 100 07

Things are really heating up with Ritsu and the show isn't subtle about it visually and even in terms of narrative exposition. Great episode overall. It seems that the student council president created a monster without realizing and now he suffers. This sort of reminded me of Gilgamesh and Kotomine from Fate/Zero albeit neither of them suffered (brb rewatching Kotomine vs Kiritsugu).

I laughed out loud at the con artist scene with Mob and Reigen. Not sure what caused all those things to break and fall. Reigen?!

Bloody good character art as usual but it kind of stood out more this episode, probably thanks to the menacing thugs of various sizes and appearances.

It was implied that Reigen actually had an evil spirit attached to him like he said, who I assume caused it. (Of course Reigen had no idea himself, lol)

Jarmel

Banned
Robot on the Road-
gDBgnDb.png
So I think this was the only Animator Expo short I haven't watched and I see now for good reason. This was legit disgusting.
I feel embarrassed not only for the director but the entire animating staff. Someone is given near endless amounts of creativity and what they make is about a perving robot stalking and voyeuring on innocent women in an almost rapist like fashion. Even Imaishi tried to say something deep with his blowup dolls in Sex and Violence while here the camera/storyboarding is literally leering over the main female such as the shower scene. Instead of it coming off as damning, there's a playful tone to the material despite how horrifying and disgusting it is. I expected a lot better from Okiura.

Sölf

Man, watching a single episode of Legend of the Galactic Heroes after months... Who are all these people? The fuck is going on? What happened before this episode?!

I will feel the same way when the next Berserk Volume will finally release.

Sölf;214852842 said:
Man, watching a single episode of Legend of the Galactic Heroes after months... Who are all these people? The fuck is going on? What happened before this episode?!

I will feel the same way when the next Berserk Volume will finally release.

Here's what I'm doing- keeping a notepad with character names, affiliations, rank and appearance next to me so I can keep track of the 270,000 characters. For the main characters like Reinhard, Yang, Kircheis and Oberstein its not needed but oh my God there are a lot of people in this series.

I'm not embarrassed to say I have trouble keeping track of which group of Admirals belong to which faction, especially with the constant jumping of sides with people like Von Schonkopf who have the name of someone from one side but hopped ship to another. I have it split into the FPA, the Empire, Phezzan and Other for people like the space pope

blurr

Yuru Yuri 03-08 (I forgot what was the last episode I updated)

Show has been consistently charming and mostly funny. I like it as much as I expected. Those gifs were not lying.

I just saw episode 08 and we learn more about Chitose, I like how it started off, made effective use of humor to relay more about a character even if it is ridiculous. It went from random or yuri humor to something more touching towards the end through simple gestures of a sibling relationship and that of a friend.

Here's what I'm doing- keeping a notepad with character names, affiliations, rank and appearance next to me so I can keep track of the 270,000 characters. For the main characters like Reinhard, Yang, Kircheis and Oberstein its not needed but oh my God there are a lot of people in this series.

I'm not embarrassed to say I have trouble keeping track of which group of Admirals belong to which faction, especially with the constant jumping of sides with people like Von Schonkopf who have the name of someone from one side but hopped ship to another. I have it split into the FPA, the Empire, Phezzan and Other for people like the space pope

If youre going to do all of that you ought to well just read the novels.

If youre going to do all of that you ought to well just read the novels.

I DO READ THE NOVELS. I have to do this for Kingdom and the Iliad/Odyssey as well. I was going to do it for the Aeneid and Divine Comedy but gave up pretty fast. It was a pretty big waste of time for the Iliad, because of how its written not much of that shit actually matters

Jarmel

Banned
If you consider that deep...
Well it's not a contemplation of life and death but it is a meaning that holds some weight due to how often people forget it or flat out ignore it. Of course Imaishi delivers it in the most obnoxious way possible but that's Imaishi for you.

A short doesn't necessarily need a theme but I'm not sure who Robot on the Road was supposed to appeal to besides people who want to wank off to anime women.

javac

Anime Limited Updates:
Blu-ray
Blood Blockade Battlefront [Anime Limited]
Release Date: 7th November
Audio: English / Japanese
Subtitles: English
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price:
Limited Collector’s Edition BD @ shop.alltheanime: £39.99 (SRP: £69.99)
DVD @ shop.alltheanime: £20.99
hwG7LEy.jpg

Physical Extras:
  • Rigid Case
  • 120-Page Art Book (Character image boards, Art settings and Interviews)
On Disc:
  • Episode 10.5
  • interviews with Aaron Dismuke & Ian Sinclair and Micha Solusod & Mike McFarland
  • Textless Opening and Closing
  • Promotional Videos
  • TV Spots

The Tatami Galaxy [Anime Limited]
Release Date: 28th November
Run Time: 275 min
Audio: Japanese
Subtitles: English
Format: Two-disc set (2 BD)
Price:
BD @ Amazon.co.uk: £63.91
BD @ anime-on-line.com: £48.99
WLMURmC.jpg

Physical Extras:
  • Rigid Case
  • 4 Art Cards
  • 60-Page Art Booklet (Characters designs, Background art)
On Disc:
  • 20 Minute Making of… (featurette that follows some of the team involved in the series going to various locations used in the show)
  • Textless Opening and Closing
  • Promotional Videos
Anime Limited Release Dates:
  • Samurai Flamenco Part 2: 5th September
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad: 12th September
  • Assassination Classroom Season 1 Part 2: 26th September
  • Free! -Eternal Summer-: 26th September
  • Project Itoh: The Empire of Corpses: 26th September
  • Gundam Reconguista in G: 7th November
    ----
    Tentative:
  • Your Lie In April Part 1: October
  • Eden of the East Ltd Collector’s Edition Blu-ray: November
  • Lucky Star: Christmas 2016 (Adding bonus DVD)
  • Aldnoah.Zero Season 2: Q4 2016
  • Claymore: End of 2016
  • Turn A Gundam: Q1 2017 - Blu-ray Only
  • Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ: 2017 - Blu-ray Only
  • Lupin the 3rd Part 4: Delayed to 2017 Due To Inclusion of English Dub
Funimation Release dates:
  • Gonna Be The Twin-Tail!!: 26th September
  • No-Rin: 10th October
  • Yurikuma Arashi: 31st October - Blu-ray/DVD Combo Set
  • Brothers Conflict:14th November - Blu-ray/DVD Combo Set

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Robot on the Road-

So I think this was the only Animator Expo short I haven't watched and I see now for good reason. This was legit disgusting.

I feel embarrassed not only for the director but the entire animating staff. Someone is given near endless amounts of creativity and what they make is about a perving robot stalking and voyeuring on innocent women in an almost rapist like fashion. Even Imaishi tried to say something deep with his blowup dolls in Sex and Violence while here the camera/storyboarding is literally leering over the main female such as the shower scene. Instead of it coming off as damning, there's a playful tone to the material despite how horrifying and disgusting it is. I expected a lot better from Okiura.

The worst part is the complete lack of repercussions. At least if he had been turned to scrap at the end it would have been worth it.

/XX/

An announcement will be made on September 9 during a screening of Lupin the IIIrd: Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone at the Shinjuku Wald 9... and Mr. Koike will be present there:

「LUPIN THE IIIRD 次元大介の墓標」上映イベントで新展開発表か 9月9日新宿バルト9にて | アニメ!アニメ!
http://animeanime.jp/article/2016/08/24/30132.html

So, time for the overload of 'KoikeLupin' new projects that didi mentioned?

He had the meaning literally typed on the screen.
Well, remember that Hiromi Wakabayashi was the idea guy!

You know, not long ago we had in this very thread mentions of how solely Mr. Imaishi's influence defines completely everything TRIGGER Inc., has done, and I was just thinking how we tend to personalise all teamwork onto a leader figure (I include myself into that thinking sometimes, I've incurred into that simplification a lot too), so having just read a recently published interview with part of the gang made me consider again just how much of a 'hot-pot' of ideas that studio is:

Wakabayashi: (...) Mr. Imaishi does an excellent job gathering input from all the creative staff on his works. Certain directors just make their own work, but Imaishi takes input from everyone, whether it be [Atsushi] Nishigori, Sushio, Koyama, or someone else. He makes projects where you can feel that the staff is participating, that they all stand out well.

If a certain staff member says, "I want to try this new approach," Mr. Imaishi will give them the opportunity, as long as they take full responsibility. I think that’s the main reason why a lot of staff want to work under Imaishi and why they really enjoy it. I think a lot of the staff feel that their main goal is to put a smile on Imashi’s face. If he smiles, that means you did a good job.

(...)

Kouno: What Wakabayashi said is spot on. Imaishi takes in everybody’s ideas. Then, after we’re finished, he comes and compliments us when we do well, so all I can do is wag my tail and follow him.
http://www.anigamers.com/interviews/trigger-superheroes-studio-culture-animenext-2016/

Taruranto

Ushio and Tora - End

Rose and Release played in my mind during this scene...

Phew, this was hard. It was a 13 episodes, but it felt more like 24.

I don't know what was the general reception for this, but I'll go straight to the point: I didn't like it.

Half season was basically one giant battle against Hakumen (With the beginning being some sorta of Ushio and Tora R2, which was baaaad), so I was like "Jesus, can we please end this already?" on multiple occasions. It sorta reminded me of FMA:B last half, although not quite as bad, it didn't have as many stupid/forced moments.

I did like the final episode itself (And Ushio's mom episode, as well Tora's past), because the characters could actually fight for real instead of playing this 6 episodes long ping-pong match (We are winning! No we are not! We contained him! No we didn'! etcetc) and most plot plot points came together nicely.

Ascheroth

Ushio and Tora - End

Personally, I liked Ushio to Tora a lot as a whole.
However, you're right in that the start of the second season in particular was rough. It was very obvious that they skipped a good amount of stuff which made it feel really disjointed. Starting right with that memory loss stuff was pretty annoying as well.
But I really enjoyed the long battle against Hakumen. And how everything that happened tied into the ending was really great as well.

Mandelbo

Rezero 21

I CALLED IT
knew that Wilheim wouldn't really be dead, as well as bursting out of the whale!

Also Subaru, now is not the time to be annoyed at the guy you don't like for some reason... He'd better not start making stupid decisions again.

Ascheroth

Macross Delta #20

God, why is everything involving the Windermerians so fucking boring. Such a waste of time. And merchant guy is shit. Will not be satisfied unless he dies a horrible, painful, slow death in the end.
The drama on the other side is better, but still not as good as when the show is just plain fun. Did enjoy Mirage shittalking Freya and Hayate, and the infiltration was cool. That disguise.

Hell yes, and I didn't know they got the dub option too. Though I wonder if that locked behind their subscription? I never actually subbed to Funi before, only Crunchy.
Funi dubs are locked under their All access pass. It's pretty cheap if you pay with the yearly option.

Cornbread78

Hell yes, and I didn't know they got the dub option too. Though I wonder if that locked behind their subscription? I never actually subbed to Funi before, only Crunchy.

Alright..

Synopsis:
In the world of Prester, flight is the dominant mode of transportation, made possible by Claudia Fluid: a liquidized form of the crystals that are produced on the planet. An organization known solely as "the Guild" has absolute authority over the skies, with a monopoly on the engines that make use of this fluid. Moreover, as ecological disasters destabilize the warring countries of Anatoray and Disith, the Guild also arbitrates in the disputes between the two. Caught in the middle of the conflict are Sky Couriers, piloting small, two-person vanships that fly freely through the sky. Last Exile follows the adventures of two teenagers who dream of surpassing their parents: Claus Valca, son of a famous vanship pilot, and Lavie Head, Claus' best friend and navigator. Their job as couriers entails passing through an air current called the Grand Stream that separates the hostile nations, which even standard airships struggle to survive. However, when they take on a high-rated delivery to bring an orphan girl named Alvis Hamilton to the battleship Silvana, they get dragged into a much greater conflict that pits them against the might of the Guild.

Yeah, we'll start this one in a couple weeks.

Qurupeke

Yona of the Dawn [END]
Man, the Green Dragon arc was amazing and so thrilling. A real sense of danger and I loved the conclusion with Yona's shot. And then a very sudden reunion with Soo-won. So many strong character moments for Yona in just 3 episodes.

A shame this received a very typical ending for a running series, I really want to see more. The series is like a mix between a shounen and shojo and it doesn't hide this. One man army characters, (annoying) manga humor, personality quirks, a (reverse) harem and the list goes on. However, this still feels unique and despite their cliches, a lot of characters had depth and they weren't just caricatures. And of course, Yona's character path, while maybe predictable, is one of the show's strong points, her evolving character is certainly delightful to watch. Also, the story itself relies on a pretty classic premise, but I'm satisfied it's not simply good vs evil. The show doesn't have the political games I hoped for, but it still does a fine job so far on portraying the journey of a young king on uniting a falling kingdom. Though it's still just on the beginning of that, unfortunately.

Anyway, nice and fun series, recommended!

Fafner Exodus 3

This episode felt a bit too fast, trying to cram a little too much into its runtime. Scenes cut just a little before it felt they should, leading me to feel like I had to run to keep up with the show. There was a bit too much technobabble for my tastes as well. Still, the production remains strong. It's rare to see the photography department show off so much on a TV anime outside KyoAni. There's some interesting narrative developments as well, particularly in the uneasy way the Human Army soldiers are trying to integrate with the island dwellers. The scene with the core was ominous, and of course Soshi's closing narration continues to build up the foreboding that bad shit is on its way.

Yona of the Dawn [END]

Man, the Green Dragon arc was amazing and so thrilling. A real sense of danger and I loved the conclusion with Yona's shot. And then a very sudden reunion with Soo-won. So many strong character moments for Yona in just 3 episodes.

A shame this received a very typical ending for a running series, I really want to see more.

Glad you enjoyed it. For having to adapt an unfinished story, I think the anime handled it pretty well, ending when it felt like one chapter in Yona's story had come to a close and the next one was still unknown. That the anime ended on the same scene the very first episode had opened on as a flashforward showed that the staff had thought things through. Fortunately, there is more anime coming in the form of manga-bundled OADs, and perhaps that will eventually lead to a second season. Even if it doesn't, the manga has just started to be officially released in English so there'll be a way for us to easily see how the story develops from here.

Sölf

Yona of the Dawn [END]

A shame this received a very typical ending for a running series, I really want to see more. The series is like a mix between a shounen and shojo and it doesn't hide this. One man army characters, (annoying) manga humor, personality quirks, a (reverse) harem and the list goes on. However, this still feels unique and despite their cliches, a lot of characters had depth and they weren't just caricatures. And of course, Yona's character path, while maybe predictable, is one of the show's strong points, her evolving character is certainly delightful to watch. Also, the story itself relies on a pretty classic premise, but I'm satisfied it's not simply good vs evil. The show doesn't have the political games I hoped for, but it still does a fine job so far on portraying the journey of a young king on uniting a falling kingdom. Though it's still just on the beginning of that, unfortunately.

Anyway, nice and fun series, recommended!

So far there is a single OAD out there (unless I forgot a second one). But if you liked it, continue with the manga. Much more politics in there. You may enjoy it even more then. And I really need to catch up with the manga. I am at 63 and there are probably nearly double that amount by now. xD

Edit: Hm, not completely sure where the anime ends. Around chapter 40-42 or maybe even a bit further. And I just saw there are nearly 130 chapters now. Jesus, I REALLY need to catch up. xD

Cornbread78

Soredemo ep.1
Lolololol. That was a pretty funny intro episode into maid cafe hell, lol. Poor girl is getting beat up mentally (and physically) by her friends. The presentation style is also pretty unique from the way these shows usually play. Either way, this was funny stuff.

Sölf

Soredemo ep.1
Lolololol. That was a pretty funny intro episode into maid cafe hell, lol. Poor girl is getting beat up mentally (and physically) by her friends. The presentation style is also pretty unique from the way these shows usually play. Either way, this was funny stuff.

At first I thought you were talking about this Soredemo. Which is good. But then I read your post and realized, you were not talking about that Soredemo. Shame.

Qurupeke

Glad you enjoyed it. For having to adapt an unfinished story, I think the anime handled it pretty well, ending when it felt like one chapter in Yona's story had come to a close and the next one was still unknown. That the anime ended on the same scene the very first episode had opened on as a flashforward showed that the staff had thought things through. Fortunately, there is more anime coming in the form of manga-bundled OADs, and perhaps that will eventually lead to a second season. Even if it doesn't, the manga has just started to be officially released in English so there'll be a way for us to easily see how the story develops from here.

I'd agree if it wasn't for the final episode,which didn't deliver the closure I hoped for. They started a new arc which remained unfinished and the episode was more like a teaser for the future.

I think I'll just read the manga instead of resorting to further complaining...

Sölf;214890111 said:
At first I thought you were talking about this Soredemo. Which is good. But then I read your post and realized, you were not talking about that Soredemo. Shame.

He's talking about the right Soredemo!

I hope you like it Cornbread.

Soredemo ep.1

Is there an official stream for this? I can't find it on crunchy or funi but I've been wanting to see it for a while for some reason.

Soredemo ep.1

This is another one on my already massive "to watch" list. Goddamn Cold Steel is cold stealing my free time and soul all in one.

Taruranto

Yona of the Dawn [END]

Now that I catched up with all my on-going anime, I kinda want to start this. I read some really good impressions, but my latest experience with this kind of shoujo really left me bitter.

I also have Erin in plan to watch, so it's a toss. 50 episodes are a lot, but I usually get these show by motivating myself to watch at least one episode per day no matter what.

sonicmj1

Sölf;214890111 said:

No idea how your Soredemo is, but Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru is one of the best anime comedies ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom