• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

I'd say her eyes lighting up as soon as Mitarai mentioned all the tricks he could leverage to get his desired reaction out of his audience made things fairly obvious, though.

We don't know how she'll use it, though. It might not be an altered version of Mitarai's anime that plunges the entire world into despair. Personally I think it's more likely that it's what will cause the mass suicide of the reserve students.

Qurupeke

Fate/Zero 2-3
vy0JgWH.png
fFUHmge.png

NaEADS1.png
oq924Ll.png

I see.

That aside, I like the show's serious tone. I was under the impression that the series took place in a fantasy world, and despite various references, like an airplane, on the first episode, I was still certain that this was the case. To my surprise though, this is as modern day as it gets, I love it. Present day cities and powerful ancient warriors are just a great fit for spectacular battles. The first true battle seems to start on the next episode, but the little demonstration of Assassin's abilities was really cool, so looking forward to more of that.

Caster's introduction certainly was... something though. A deranged serial killer, bloody ritual sigils, many dead bodies and a trapped child make a very unsettling setting. And I actually thought that, despite his appearance, Caster was a good guy that would help his Master change his ways. And then I was left speechless, feeling dumb... The cinematography was like out of a (good) horror movie. A creepy obsession with creating false hope, along with brutality... The character reminds me of Re: Zero's Betelgeuse, but I feel that Caster will be a whole new level of insanity.

The characters in the show are very interesting and I'm really impressed considering the huge cast. The Rider and Waver bonding scenes are really funny, I'm enjoying the hell out of them. And I like Kiritsugu's two sides, the badass hitman and the loving family man, but he seems to be cheating on his wife already. Despicable.

I think I'll love this show so much.

Line_HTX

That and I think it's milked to death more than CoD. I like some characters and everything, but I'm just burned out from Type Moon and Fate in general. Saber is good, but not that good.

Qurupeke

That and I think it's milked to death more than CoD. I like some characters and everything, but I'm just burned out from Type Moon and Fate in general. Saber is good, but not that good.

I'm glad I ignored this for so long and I'm not part of that saturation.

Cornbread78

Art Room Problem ep.8
Usami had him right where she wanted him all alone and failed to act... Her imagination sure took off though, lol. The second skit was pretty funny as well, but man, that treasure, lol.

Sterok

I remember watching Fate/Zero. Such an amazing show that I couldn't pull myself away from. So many good little character moments, and one action scene in particular just blew me away. I need to rewatch it soon.

Line_HTX

I'm glad I ignored this for so long and I'm not part of that saturation.

Like I said before, at this point I'm only waiting for the 3rd and final route of F/SN which is Heaven's Feel and I'll finally finish this at last without actually playing the VN source, lol

I think they said it'll be a full length movie?

Clov

Urusei Yatsura 096

I've already talked about the homophobia in the series in posts on previous episodes, so I won't bother detailing it at length here. I will say that it was back in full force in this episode, and it was awfully hard to sit through.

Something else that bothers me is just how plain mean-spirited this series is when it comes to Ryunosuke's character. While I'm sure back when this show aired all of the jokes about Ryunosuke's father trying to force her to live as a man would have felt right at home with the rest of the series' slapstick, it strikes me as being gross and upsetting. None of these jokes make me laugh; they just make me think "Wow! Your Dad's a creepy asshole".

I feel sorry for Ryunosuke. While I'm only reaching the halfway point of the series, I don't feel optimistic about this improving in future episodes. After all, the entire point of her character is that her father refuses to acknowledge that she's a girl, and all the humor is supposed to be derived from how all her attempts to live as a girl fail miserably (usually thanks to her father). You can see it as being similar humor as the other characters' situations (Ataru wants to date/peep at someone and fails, Lum wants to have Ataru to herself but fails, etc), but in Ryunosuke's case the humor is literally supposed to be "She's not allowed to live as the gender she identifies as". Since this show is a comedy first and foremost, of course this is never treated as something that actually matters.

This show can be a lot of fun, even brilliant at times, but these episodes really drag the experience down for me. Fuck these episodes.

Red Frost

Banned
and that the academy was so intent on covering its ass that it didn't even think about investigating what the hell was going on, which is downright stupid (I mean, at least assign a team to research it covertly).

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure this is addressed in Danganronpa Zero. It's pretty heavily implied that they knew Junko was behind it, but were willing to sweep the whole thing under the rug for the sake of nurturing her talent (same thing with Nagito not being expelled). So yeah, more than being total idiots (though they are for not foreseeing what could happen), they're complete assholes.

John Blade

Looking forwatd to tgat, we never did get your final impressions, lol.

Did it rank high on your list?

Well...work is stoping me to watch the anime I need to get through and also stop me from writing the impression of Clannad. If you're wondering, I still like Clannad for what it's (even though they is issue I have with it which I will literally go into detail in the impression).

I will thank you for making me to go watch it (and maybe bough it) but I might challenge you in some area mostly in the romance side. This is mostly the expectation of what I expect to see from a typical romance anime (whether it's the typical high school love we see in most anime or trying to have some sort of realistic anime romance which don't follow too much of anime tropes like Emma). If we stick with the guideline of a romance show, Clannad won't be as high as Emma in that area as the romance you will found between the two main characters won't trigger till later on in season 1 and even then it actually start to see the romance side in later part of season 2. I guess the slice of life part of the show kinda push the romance a bit on the side and more in the development of the side characters and how they're try to work through their own issue in their life. Not saying I hate it. But if we just do the general of the show, it's a very good show and very touching for where it take us. I have quite a bit of discussion of the ending which I will talk about in my impression of the entire series.

Damm....need to get back to watching Godnannar season 2. Just need something to get me into the Godnannar train except boobs and ass shot.

Cornbread78

Battery ep.7
Go with the takedowm punch, lol. Takumi definately deserved it for clowning on Go! Well, loojs like he did it again aymt the end of the episode, so I hope he charges the mound and piledrives his ass this tine.

JulianImp

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure this is addressed in Danganronpa Zero. It's pretty heavily implied that they knew Junko was behind it, but were willing to sweep the whole thing under the rug for the sake of nurturing her talent (same thing with Nagito not being expelled). So yeah, more than being total idiots (though they are for not foreseeing what could happen), they're complete assholes.

The issue I take with that set-up is that it doesn't make Junko look as badass, by virtue of her opponents being a bunch of people who are actually actively helping her... undermine them and destroy the world? There's a line between scientific curiosity getting the best of them and idiotic, self-destructive behavior with no discernible motive besides setting the plot in motion.

Red Frost

Banned
The issue I take with that set-up is that it doesn't make Junko look as badass, by virtue of her opponents being a bunch of people who are actually actively helping her... undermine them and destroy the world? There's a line between scientific curiosity getting the best of them and idiotic, self-destructive behavior with no discernible motive besides setting the plot in motion.

The thing is we've been learning about how shitty Hope's Peak is since DR 0, the first canon entry after the first game. Both 0 and DR2 make it clear she couldn't have did what she did without the circumstances put in place by the awful policies of the academy and the inaction of the higher ups/Steering committee.

The school itself is pretty much a villain with its elitist (almost extremist) views on talent in general. It's the kind of plot point that could only work in Japan, which is why I'm a lot more curious about how the world outside the academy fell.

JulianImp

The thing is we've been learning about how shitty Hope's Peak is since DR 0, the first canon entry after the first game. Both 0 and DR2 make it clear she couldn't have did what she did without the circumstances put in place by the awful policies of the academy and the inaction of the higher ups/Steering committee.

The school itself is pretty much a villain with its elitist (almost extremist) views on talent in general. It's the kind of plot point that could only work in Japan, which is why I'm a lot more curious about how the world outside the academy fell.

I don't think they'll actually end up paying any attention to the rest of the world, or rather will end up doing stuff such as showing riots near the Eiffel tower, the Roman Colosseum, the Statue of Liberty like in DR1 and leave it at that, at best. Heck, they aren't even paying attention to Hajime's class at all outside of checking boxes so that things end up the way they did with them in DR2... and when they do it's stuff like a painfully slow scene with Nanaki wondering what Hajime's up to and lamenting how they had promised to meet again the next day but he stopped showing up altogether (of course all she does is wondering what he might up to because tell, don't show).

Future arc feels like a generic DEATH GAME OF DOOM DESPAIR, and the awesome moment of showing the DR1 cast and Izuru two episodes ago was followed up with an episode focusing on nothing but UDG, which was anticlimatic as hell after the previous nostalgia/hype bomb they had dropped. On the other hand, the Despair arc was more interesting at times, but it's like all those intriguing events that were only referenced in the past games are underwhelming as hell now that they're finally being shown to us.

...I guess the anime wins though, because it's certainly making me feel despair.

Finaj

While a bit off-topic, for those who don't know, Trigger recently did some animation for Steven Universe. I hope there are more collaborations between Western and Eastern animators in the future.

YmwgtKD.gif

Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc - 07

As brutal as described in the games.
The biggest, most atrocious incident kept being referenced in Danganronpa 1, this episode gave us the opportunity to see the events leading up to it, and from now on, what I am guessing is how our protagonists became the remnants of all this despair.
I am LOVING this.

Taruranto

Even if the school is covering up for her, what about the people outside?

Don't the people she murdered have a family? What is the police doing? Why isn't anyone questioning the disappearances? What about when she literally detonated a grenade in the middle of the day on the highway? This episode alone she apparently kidnapped a bunch a people to blackmail the student council members.

Her and Mukuro are not being particularly sneaky, she literally parading around "catch me! look at me!", leaving clues all over the place.

JulianImp

Don't the people she murdered have a family? What is the police doing? Why isn't anyone questioning the disappearances? What about when she literally detonated a grenade in the middle of the day on the highway? This episode alone she apparently kidnapped a bunch a people to blackmail the student council members.

Her and Mukuro are not being particularly sneaky, she literally parading around "catch me! look at me!", leaving clues all over the place.

Shhh! Let's pretend the Academy's just that good at covering things up, lest we realize that the plot's little more than a filmsy excuse to have Junko rise to power and give some background to DR1.

Oh, and fanservice. Don't forget about the (non-lewd) fanservice.

According to DR0,
Hope Peak alumni, which occupy important positions in society, along with sponsors also helped cover up the incidents. Thus, they could control information outside the academy.

While a bit off-topic, for those who don't know, Trigger recently did some animation for Steven Universe. I hope there are more collaborations between Western and Eastern animators in the future.

http://i.imgur.com/YmwgtKD.gif[/IG][/QUOTE]

I dont, western animation character designs always look so terrible these days.

Lance and Keith in voltron have been the only exceptions.

Chihayafuru 25 - S1 END

My overall feelings about the show are mostly the same as when I first watched it. It starts off very strong, continues pretty well through episode 15, loses a good deal of steam after the recap episode, but manages to recover a little before the end. As a radiant drama that takes advantage of its sparkling aesthetics and superb soundtrack to create a rich mood, it excels. When it goes full tilt into sports anime mode and gets into the nitty-gritty of karuta strategy, it does not. Karuta has more depth than it appears on the surface, but not that much more depth. There's only so many ways to make a karuta match exciting. Plus the overall plotting can be clumsy, particularly in how it handles Chihaya and Tachi's development as players. The way it holds them back from progressing feels artificial, and it's difficult to figure out the course of their development. Compare this to Haikyuu, which does an excellent setting out clear goals for the characters and have them steadily work towards them and in the process steadily improve as individuals and as a team. I suppose the Chihayafuru manga author felt she could mess around since all the main characters are first-years and she still has two more years of high school to move them towards anything. (Theoretically more, since karuta isn't an age-restricted sport, but I doubt the manga will go beyond high school graduation.) That's not a particularly satisfying mode of writing, however. It would be more palatable for the series to flail about on the large scale if the balance of individual events was more tilted in favor of character moments instead of karuta analysis. Even a moment as simple as Kana coming alongside Chihaya reading in the hallway in the final episode can be touching. By contrast, hearing them list off one and two syllable cards for the umpteenth time makes my eyes glaze over.

But despite its obvious weaknesses, Chihayafuru is still a good show overall. I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy the second season, which I haven't seen, but I'll wager there's enough in there to make it worth getting to.

Line_HTX

Wolfs Rain ep.10

Got some good adventure through the forest of death with Cheza withering from lack of sun and water. Those killer bugs getting eaten by the plants was pretty funny stuff; go Cheza!

"When are we born? When do we die? Why are we born? Why do we die? The world has been destroyed and we've fallen countless times, always resurrecting from the ashes as Paradise. It has happened before, and it will happen again. An endless cycle of life and death. The world is a Paradise that was opened by someone, but this era too is almost at an end. We have acquired the means to exceed our natural span of life, never suspecting that the world itself was finalized in its existence. This knowledge has left me in despair, my fate has fallen and scattered like the petals of a dying flower, like the blast from a sand storm it has been warn down and weathered away. As if to be purified, the world will be encased in ice so that it can return to the beginning once more. Paradise is a world that is opened by someone..."

Clov

Urusei Yatsura 099

Something I find very interesting about this episode is that Oshii didn't leave the premise of "Fast-Food Warriors" with this show. Much, much later he'd make an anime film called TachiGui: The Amazing Lives of the Fast-Food Grifters that shared the same general premise; fast-food experts who eat at restaurants who find ways to get away with not paying (or otherwise just ruin the restaurant). In fact, I think some of the characters from this episode may have been mentioned in it!

I'm not entirely sure, since I've never seen the movie myself. It's been screened with English subtitles at some film festivals, but has never had a home video release over here. I haven't been able to find any decent translations of it for years. I'd really love to give the film at watch, but its strange mockumentary style combined with its bizarre animation (photos of real people animated using CG, as if they're flat puppets) and subject matter limits its audience. I hope someday I'll have the chance to see it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Battery The Animation Episode 7:

It really says something to just how much of an unlikable douchebag Takumi really is when I end up cheering for his much deserved punch to the face.

Cornbread78

Soredemo ep.4
Poor sensei is tortured daily by Hotori's stupidness! He should just pass her off to another math teacher at this point and get rid of her, lol. The show continues to be funnier tgan it should be since Hotori is so damn annoying, lol.

Chihayafuru 25 - S1 END.

Ya know, at sone point, I have to go back and actually watch this damn show. I watched the first few episodes and got sidetracked, then forgot yo go back. The subject matter was just odd, but it's not like I disliked the character interactions..

Gvitor

I watched the first episode of Chihayafuru a while back and found it to be really weird and the "sport" didn't really grab me. Nothing in the episode did, actually, so I dropped it without a second thought.

... until recently. I've been looking for a good sports anime, and pretty much every list and thread or talk I found in the internet mentions this. So I queued it up again on crunchyroll, but I started Yowamushi no Pedal first and I'm still watching it.

Speaking of it...

Yowamushi no Pedal Grande Road xx-17

If Imaizumi pulled Fukutomi out of the pack 15km earlier to tire him on the climb and leave the final "ace sprint" to Onoda (since, again, it's a climb to the finish), this show will regain some points it has been losing for a while now. I'll do a big write-up when I finish, but let's just say the space-time rules this show follows (or tries to, at least) are completely irrelevant.

I don't mean bogus, even if, well, they are, I just mean completely irrelevant. People can catch up with each other no matter the distance and time between them whenever they feel like it. In the meantime, they keep saying each team member's name ad nauseum.

Cornbread78

Kaiba ep.9
tumblr_n6bs7zyBbs1qjxm01o1_500.gif

Fuck this guy seriously. He's corrupt as they come had had her kill her long lost lover through altered memories, which you know, is agaist what he preaches... What a douche, fuck him..

I watched the first episode of Chihayafuru a while back and found it to be really weird and the "sport" didn't really grab me. Nothing in the episode did, actually, so I dropped it without a second thought.

... until recently. I've been looking for a good sports anime, and pretty much every list and thread or talk I found in the internet mentions this. So I queued it up again on crunchyroll, but I started Yowamushi no Pedal first and I'm still watching it.

Speaking of it...

Yowamushi no Pedal Grande Road xx-17

If Imaizumi pulled Fukutomi out of the pack 15km earlier to tire him on the climb and leave the final "ace sprint" to Onoda (since, again, it's a climb to the finish), this show will regain some points it has been losing for a while now. I'll do a big write-up when I finish, but let's just say the space-time rules this show follows (or tries to, at least) are completely irrelevant.

I don't mean bogus, even if, well, they are, I just mean completely irrelevant. People can catch up with each other no matter the distance and time between them whenever they feel like it. In the meantime, they keep saying each team member's name ad nauseum.

Well, Chihayafuru is certainly better than Yowamushi Pedal.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's no coincidence that CG in anime started becoming the norm after the 00s, also the cutoff point for Millennialhood.

Quasar

For me it was the first sport anime I could get into, unless you count things that use sport as just a backdrop.

Loved it (if I look at my MAL ratings its probably in my alltime top 10). And that lead me to Saki, which was alright but I felt a bit overwhelmed by the mahjong scenes.

Cornbread78

Fate/Zero 2-3
Caster's introduction certainly was... something though. A deranged serial killer, bloody ritual sigils, many dead bodies and a trapped child make a very unsettling setting. And I actually thought that, despite his appearance, Caster was a good guy that would help his Master change his ways. And then I was left speechless, feeling dumb... The cinematography was like out of a (good) horror movie. A creepy obsession with creating false hope, along with brutality... The character reminds me of Re: Zero's Betelgeuse, but I feel that Caster will be a whole new level of insanity..

Dude, you have no idea.... you are not ready.

息をしないでください

Intense movie. Accurate title because when I walked out of the theater I felt like I exhaled enough air to fill a blimp

Celcius

°Temp. member
Blazblue Alter Memory

I remebered hearing that they were making a Blazblue anime but I just happened to stumble upon it while digging around on Funimation's site so of course I had to check it out. At first I didn't expect much but it was surprisingly good. It pretty much covered the story of the first two games. Definitely worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom