• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while ago it was announced that NHK would be making a longer version of an Animator Expo short. And the winner is... The Dragon Dentist. The new anime's staff is as follows:

Director: Kazuya Tsurumaki (FLCL, Diebuster)
Original Work/Scripts: Otaro Maijo (novelist, Jojo: Jorge Joestar)
Scripts: Yoji Enokido (FLCL, Diebuster)
Character Design: Shuichi Iseki (MeMeMe)
Executive Producer/Sound Director: Hideaki Anno (Evangelion)
Animation Production: Khara

I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out!

Anno as sound director? That's interesting

That's an...odd credit

Clov

I've finished all of Oshii's run of Urusei Yatsura now! It's been good overall, despite the few problems I've had with the series (which I've talked about in this thread already in my previous posts). They even ended it with a nice two-parter that had some impressively animated action scenes. Still, nothing topped episode 78 for me. Now to start Studio Deen's run...

phaze

Xam'd Lost Memories 14
01856985s1x.jpg
0185819psw7.jpg
018586xqszo.jpg
018588irsua.jpg
"friendzone too stronk

let's sudoku right this instant"

JulianImp

Saber is meh average.

This. Unlike Miku and Sonico which I don't know a thing about so I am not willing to comment on, I've watched some F/SN (never read the VNs, though) and I can say I honestly don't see the reason for Saber's crazy popularity and constant stream of merchandise.

Jarmel

Banned
A while ago it was announced that NHK would be making a longer version of an Animator Expo short. And the winner is... The Dragon Dentist. The new anime's staff is as follows:

Director: Kazuya Tsurumaki (FLCL, Diebuster)
Scripts: Yoji Enokido (FLCL, Diebuster)
Character Design: Shuichi Iseki (MeMeMe)
Executive Producer/Sound Director: Hideaki Anno (Evangelion)
Animation Production: Khara

I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out!

Kinda disappointed as I found that to be one of the weaker shorts but the new staff is promising I suppose.

Anything new by Enokido though is raising red flags.

This. Unlike Miku and Sonico which I don't know a thing about so I am not willing to comment on, I've watched some F/SN (never read the VNs, though) and I can say I honestly don't see the reason for Saber's crazy popularity and constant stream of merchandise.
Saber is popular because the creators forced her to be popular and the fanbase submitted to it.

I hope Yuki Yase as series director for Zaregoto means more Daiki Konno artworks as well.

Making an entire Monogatari episode around his artworks was some good shit.

JulianImp

Saber is popular because the creators forced her to be popular and the fanbase submitted to it.

I mean, I get that she's pictured as a noble action woman which isn't all that common as far as anime character archetypes go so that could be a plus, but her character in the ufotable F/Zero and F/SN was just that, with no character progression or anything, so she felt bland as hell to me.

It's also funny that she's the only Saber-class servant we're shown, and yet the rules state she forgets all that happens between games, so while we get a brand new cast of other servants for SN, Saber's back to reprise her stoic, boring role without it resulting in any meaningful character growth for her.

Ascheroth

I mean, I get that she's pictured as a noble action woman which isn't all that common as far as anime character archetypes go so that could be a plus, but her character in the ufotable F/Zero and F/SN was just that, with no character progression or anything, so she felt bland as hell to me.

It's also funny that she's the only Saber-class servant we're shown, and yet the rules state she forgets all that happens between games, so while we get a brand new cast of other servants for SN, Saber's back to reprise her stoic, boring role without it resulting in any meaningful character growth for her.

If you're talking about UBW, that's because it's the second route, which is about Archer and Rin mostly. Saber got some some development in the first route (the one that has the bad anime). ...I think. But it's been ages so I might just be deluding myself.

jonjonaug

No she doesn't, but that's only really important in HF.

Exalted

Thunderbolt Fantasy 8

Great episode, things really picked up, and they already reached the towers in the first part of the episode, that short battle that folowed was nice. Gui Niao also finally made his move, probably not to anyone's surprise. Curious what Shangs backstory is and what he is hiding.

Deadly

She remembers everything. In the Fate route she hears "Emiya" and basically tells Shirou his dad was an asshole. You're also forgetting Fate/Zero was written much much later.

Qurupeke

Fate/Zero 7-11
On the topic of Saber, I think I liker her. She's a bit dull and perhaps not very bright, but I really like her sense of chivalry, her serious and strict personality and even her naivety. And well, she's a cool looking knight, of course I'd like Saber. Her wish for the Holy Grail was so dumb though, Rider continues to be the best guy. And damn, I spoke too soon about Lancer's ability, Rider is legitimately broken. He's the guy that you definitely don't want as your enemy.

I liked Caster's first scene, but I think I had enough. His murders are just so unsettling. I hoped that the fight on the forest and the fact that everyone is against him were definitive death flags, but he's still alive, still murdering children... I was afraid that he'd capture Rin too, but thankfully there's not-Kaneki. He's like the only one that doesn't have a selfish wish and he's pretty much dead already, poor guy.

The show has so many pretty battles too. The action is really top notch and there's such a variety on the fights, because of the many classes. And even the mages are interesting as the characters have demonstrated a variety of spells, not just typical elemental magic.

Exalted

Just how bad is S2 of Nisekoi? Is it Root A bad

It's similar to S1, except there is lots of teasing of progress with no actual progress at all, which was already somewhat overdone in S1 , but S2 takes it to an another level.
Instead of bad i would say it's a waste of time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Re: Zero 16-21

Catching back up and WTF at Subaru's reaction to Rem's whole speech. My wife almost threw a shoe at the TV.

The funny part was that after episode 21 she was angry at the fact that not only did he soundly reject Rem for stupid reasons (since he barely knows Emilia), but that he somehow believes that Emilia would be a better ruler than Crusch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It comes and goes, with nothing remarkable or significant happening to remember.

The actual source material has ended with a pretty definitive ending so I would expect them to get to that eventually.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 22

God damn, after so many eps of mostly weird town stuff with the occasional lunatic, someone as intelligent as he is malevolent is a frightening addition. Josuke/Kira crosswalk bit was great too as Kira's theme music took over when the episode shifted back to his pov.

Episode 11 of Fate/Zero is probably one of my favorite anime episodes ever.

Rider's entire verbal smackdown of Saber is amazing And him following up with his power demonstration is up there with Domon V.S. Master Asia as one of the manliest scenes in anime.

If you're talking about UBW, that's because it's the second route, which is about Archer and Rin mostly. Saber got some some development in the first route (the one that has the bad anime). ...I think. But it's been ages so I might just be deluding myself.
Actually you're entirely correct.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Thunderbolt Fantasy Episode 8:

Whoops, turns out using the cheat code didn't help in the long run though I am glad that alternate thinking was used to get around the problem.

Cornbread78

Soredemo ep.5
Both skits were just so-so compared to earlier ones, but I still got some good laughs out of schooltime tsundere girl, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom