• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Both Bunny Drop and Sweetness and Lightning are written by women, so it would be a mistake to assume that only men are interested in writing stories about fathers.

that's true, but I was thinking more in context of gaming where the Dad-game genre has been taking off in recent years and which I believe is more explicitly because of the general gender balance of creators.

Jintor

throxas, a bunch of teachers in my staffroom are currently wrestling with a cleaning cloth hopelessly entangled in a sax mouthpiece. it is probably the most entertaining thing i've seen in this room for some time.

what is your advice regarding cleaning brass instrument mouthpieces without getting the cloth somehow stuck within it

Nephtis

It's ironic this teacher dad doesn't know how to cook when every worthless LN NEET hero is apparently an iron chef, because that's the most non-threatening yet appealing character trait for someone who's otherwise a useless sack of shit.

Except he isn't a worthless LN neet hero. He's the opposite of that - a hardworking parent that recently lost his wife and is trying to make the best of it for his daughter. There's a lot of men out there that have no idea how to cook or simply think that heating some premade stuff is good enough.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maybe he could feed himself and his daughter correctly if he was a worthless NEET!

Or a high school art student. I understand they're also great cooks apparently.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Women are naturally expected to be able to raise children. Men are not. Because of this single parent fathers make for more natural fish out of water stories. This is low-tier fiction so expect the writers to take the most efficient paths.

zulux21

Maybe he could feed himself and his daughter correctly if he was a worthless NEET!

Or a high school art student. I understand they're also great cooks apparently.

How to make food.

Step 1: heat water.
Step 2: open ramen package and drop in block of noodles.
Step 3: crack a single egg into the pot, this is important as this is what makes it gourmet food.
step 4: add seasoning packet, let sit for a few minutes.
Step 5: enjoy food that can even make gods of destruction want more.

Women are naturally expected to be able to raise children. Men are not. Because of this single parent fathers make for more natural fish out of water stories. This is low-tier fiction so expect the writers to take the most efficient paths.

and yet I can't think of a single male character in anime that is moronic enough to confuse salt and sugar on a regular basis, and yet the list of females who do that is rather long :/ (it's never been funny, especially with the girls who don't even try their own food and thus don't know how bad their cooking is.)

luckily that trope seems to have died down a bit, but that might just be because I don't watch the cute girls doing cute things shows. wouldn't be surprised if it still happened in those.

and yet I can't think of a single male character in anime that is moronic enough to confuse salt and sugar on a regular basis, and yet the list of females who do that is rather long :/ (it's never been funny, especially with the girls who don't even try their own food and thus don't know how bad their cooking is.)

luckily that trope seems to have died down a bit, but that might just be because I don't watch the cute girls doing cute things shows. wouldn't be surprised if it still happened in those.

Hm... Don't think I've seen a lot of that. What shows have that happened in then?

Sölf

Oops.

thA3psa.png

Is it time to show how much time we wasted? Ok, here is mine:

dsRyqFh.png

There are probably a bunch missing and I just stopped adding things to my "Plan to Watch" list.

Jintor

Persona 4's cast manages to fuck up an omelette in three horrifically different ways which I thought was notable. (Yukiko is your standard "replace sugar with salt" type short-cut taker, Chie somehow manages to leech any flavour whatsoever out of her omelette, and Rise just overloads it with spice)

blurr

While not exactly on salt and sugar, I believe Toradora also has Ryuuji portray as an efficient home maker while Taiga is a lazy bum who 'presumably' doesn't cook. IIRC it is implied so at the very least. This is probably just to make the characters interesting - juxtapose one thing with what is presumably the opposite to it.

As someone who is currently playing through (and enjoying) Tales of Zestiria, I figured I'd give the anime a watch. However, I couldn't even make it several minutes in before I had to stop watching because they couldn't even bother to use the same names for stuff that the english translation of the game uses. I already have to settle for subs because I can't read or speak Japanese, now I'm stuck having to translate stuff they're talking about into the ones used in the game.

An example is the book they keep bringing up, which plays a big role in the story of the game. The anime refers to it as the "Records of Seraphic Remains" (which to be honest, sounds like something someone would come up with for a fan translation), when the name it's referred to as in the entire game is the "Celestial Records". And then I made it several more minutes in before they went and referred to the city of Marlind as "Marind" and Hyland as "Highland".

I don't think I can make it any further in this anime without flipping out over every mis-named object, person or location.

Daisuki uses more of the game translation names than funimation translation.

ReLIFE - 01-05

This is okay-ish. Someone turning young again can be really entertaining to me and I liked it in Erased when Satoru saw all this early school life from his adult viewpoint. I don't think ReLIFE really takes the premise seriously enough and the writing is too average to real offer anything. While Arata reflects to his NEET life experience every now and then, he often times feels like little more than your average goodhearted, mature and knowledgeable MC that helps fixing girls' issues.

While the characterization is alright overall, there's issues that I'm really not fond of. As Trojita mentioned, Hishiro really does feel like she's autistic to some degree, when that's obviously not the intended portrayal. That's what happens when you take the stereotypical awkward/weird characters too far. She feels like a less extreme version of Kotomi from Clannad. You know, the supposedly very smart genius that somehow has the social skills of a toddler.

The plot suffers from your usual misunderstandings and laughable sequences. Like, the MC wants to safe a girl from falling down stairs and as a result they both lie at the bottom (in arms) kinda unhurt, yet, also unconscious /facepalm
People don't just go unconscious at the drop of a hat. If nothing else they should've had a major headache when waking up. Instead merely his shoulder hurts... Oh and when they lay laid unconsciously like that, another girl saw them and got a bit jealous because they were so close to each other -_-

So yeh, I need natural plot development and good characterization in this kind of story and ReLIFE doesn't do either particularly well. I've got to say though, the pacing feels quite good which is why much of this doesn't feel as grating as it does in similar series.

Quasar

Sweetness and Lightning 1 - Gloriously cute as expected. Probably able to call it my AOTS already. Pushes so many of my buttons.

Jintor

While not exactly on salt and sugar, I believe Toradora also has Ryuuji portray as an efficient home maker while Taiga is a lazy bum who 'presumably' doesn't cook. IIRC it is implied so at the very least. This is probably just to make the characters interesting - juxtapose one thing with what is presumably the opposite to it.

it's an extension of the show's overall premise of "Ryuuji looks like a thug but is actually a nice guy, and Taiga looks like a cute little girl but is actually super violent (but is also a nice little girl)"

/edit Does New Game have a streaming option yet? Doesn't seem to be on Crunchy I guess...

it's an extension of the show's overall premise of "Ryuuji looks like a thug but is actually a nice guy, and Taiga looks like a cute little girl but is actually super violent (but is also a nice little girl)"

/edit Does New Game have a streaming option yet? Doesn't seem to be on Crunchy I guess...

NEW GAME!
Launch time:
07/05/2016 10:00 AM PT (Tuesday)
Territories: Worldwide except for Asia

Szadek

Arslan Senki - S.2 Ep. 1
They certainly didn't waste anytime, but as a result it feels a bit rushed.
My comblains about the CGI soldiers from season 1 remians, but at least they kind of make up for it by making some of the shots really cool.
Hopefully they will find more challening opponents this time around, since that's the biggest problems this series had so far.

Amaama to Inazuma - Ep. 1
Tsumugi is the cutest thing ever and she alone makes this show worth watching.

Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 00
This was awful.
In the first half the anime just jumps from location to locaction to check off the most important plot point in the most boring and bland way possible.
I don't think a single scenes goes on for even 2 minutes before jumping straight to the next.

The second half on the other hand was 1 long, tedious and confusing actions scene.
Finally, the scene with the little girl was almost comical.
They made it look like the evil storm came back just to kill that one girl, because fuck her I guess.

dan2026

Well, it's really the reverse. Fate/Stay Night was created first, and dictates the tone of the entire franchise. Fate/Zero is the only prequel/spinoff which has adult characters and a more "serious" sort of mafia tone, while everything else is about teenagers with power levels.

More like the whole thing was created as an eroge.
And everything is about the characters getting to fuck each other.

blurr

Yea, I heard good stuff about ReLIFE's first episode so was interested in impressions after more than three episodes are out but going by NMDGG's post, it doesn't sound too compelling.

New Game has my attention as someone in the games field - seems to be the usual moe drivel but I also hear it is realistic in portraying the games scene in Japan (as heard from a gamedev living in Japan).

Waiting for Mob Psycho 100 and maybe something else that's interesting.

Ascheroth

Wow, I somehow skipped the very pages the discussion took place in.

I was thinking it is a joke since Luluco aired - some folk were saying Luluco S2/S3 etc.

That wasn't a joke though.
Luluco did have 4 seasons. 5 if you include the final one.

Just T

Soma 2nd Season: 1

Right back to the action, I enjoyed this episode and missed the show.

Here's to another season of making me hungry and wanting to cook more.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yea, I heard good stuff about ReLIFE's first episode so was interested in impressions after more than three episodes are out but going by NMDGG's post, it doesn't sound too compelling.

New Game has my attention as someone in the games field - seems to be the usual moe drivel but I also hear it is realistic in portraying the games scene in Japan (as heard from a gamedev living in Japan).

Waiting for Mob Psycho 100 and maybe something else that's interesting.
Author nailed the setting since author Used to work in a game industry. As far as realistic goes, well, it won't highlight many of industry problem, but at least the author notice there's something wrong with the industry.

Author nailed the setting since author Used to work in a game industry. As far as realistic goes, well, it won't highlight many of industry problem, but at least the author notice there's something wrong with the industry.

Didn't have the show in my radar, but this is sounding more and more like Shirobako. In which case I'll have to check it out.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Amaama to Inazuma Episode 1:

God damn it, god fucking damn it this was almost amazing. Indeed, checked this out since I saw a lot of comparisons to Barakmon and indeed that connection is apt. It isn't one to one since that was a surrogate kind of relationship and this is an actual father-daughter bonding session and dear god does it work. Tsumugi is a chracter that is walking a very tight line as she acts and is voiced by a real kid so we get naturalistic interactions without veering too far and making the kid an obnoxious little brat.
Right, so where did this episode lose me? Kotori is the answer and I do admit I rather enjoyed her being so pleased at making white rice and I get she is an isolated and lonely girl for reasons not quite explained. I do not like the direction this episode ended on because I bloody fucking hate student-teacher relationships, especially when one of them is a High School student for reasons I should hope are obvious. Now, I will grant Amaama to Inazuma hasn't actually walked in that direction but it is walking close to that flame and that worries me greatly.

blurr

That wasn't a joke though.
Luluco did have 4 seasons. 5 if you include the final one.

as someone who hasn't seen it, it definitely comes off as a joke lol

I still haven't recovered from Kiniro Mosaic.

Damn, that's good to hear.

Mandelbo

What I read of the New Game manga was a little dull and not all that interesting. To be fair I didn't read much of it and I barely remember reading it at all, but I'm not that convinced it'll end up being much more than a standard workplace comedy.

I guess I'll watch the first episode though.

JulianImp

Yeah, being unable to cook at all is downright preposterous, even more so in this day and age, where you can look anything up. I remember that my cousin and I did exactly that to properly prepare some fresh squid we bought once, and it turned out perfectly fine in the end.

The biggest issue with cooking when you're new to a dish is that it might take you a lot more time and attention to make sure you prepare and cook it just right, but after a couple attempts you'll probably have the timing down. Then again, there're always some kinds of dishes that take almost an hour to cook in the oven, for example, which makes them great for when you've got enough time to wait for it and stuff to do while it cooks.

But then again, another cousin of mine keeps claiming he's absolutely inept at cooking, so I guess more people like him do exist out there somewhere.

Thoraxes

throxas, a bunch of teachers in my staffroom are currently wrestling with a cleaning cloth hopelessly entangled in a sax mouthpiece. it is probably the most entertaining thing i've seen in this room for some time.

what is your advice regarding cleaning brass instrument mouthpieces without getting the cloth somehow stuck within it
Hot water + soap, soak/submerge if you want, and they make brushes that specifically fit into brass mouthpieces. They look like this:

jbmpbrusx9fuu0.jpg

Shouldn't be using cloth on the brass mouthpieces.

For woodwinds yes you use cloth, and most people tie a weight on the string end so it falls through easy and you can pull it through without issue.

Also the cloth cleaners for woodwinds always make me laugh!

TWILT

Banned
Food Wars 5-8
This show is slowly becoming my favorite battle anime lol. It's getting really hard for me to put the show down (mostly just only watched 4 a day because I wanted to watch other stuff >>;). Soma's actually a pretty cool protagonist. Really likable, competitive, and juuuust right in terms of intelligence. The whole cast is just really colorful and I definitely want to keep watching now.

Noragami 1-4
I'm also surprisingly digging this too. Been watching two episodes a day and it's pretty damn fun. It's a pretty charming Shonen with tons of humor and action that's really nice to look at. Wasn't sure what to think of him at first, but Yato's a pretty rad character and Hiyori is great in her own right.
Also the OP song is kind of hype as hell.

D.Gray-Man Hallow 1
It's been so long since I've seen or read anything D.Gray-Man related (mostly because it was in hiatus for like...the longest time), but I thought this was a decent start. New voices are kind of hit and miss, but this show definitely makes me miss the D.Gray-Man universe and characters (Lenalee <3).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Didn't have the show in my radar, but this is sounding more and more like Shirobako. In which case I'll have to check it out.

as someone who hasn't seen it, it definitely comes off as a joke lol

Damn, that's good to hear.
I just want to mention that while i like New Game source material, it won't be another Shirobako unless the studio changes a lot of things. There will be trivia and info regarding video games work places, but it's more of an office comedy. Not to mention the art is moe as fuck, so it's probably not for everyone. There will be fanservice and a bit of yuri undertone (and belly button), so there's that.

Amaama to inazuma 1

Strong opening, i like the voice acting, and the coloring was also nice. I need more cooking anime anyway!

Taboo Tattoo 1

I've read the source material, and all i remember from it that there's cool action scene... eh, the opening was cliche, but i like the action scene.

Eumi

This has gone from what looked like it was gonna be a terrible arc to easily my favourite one. I'm honestly suprised how much the show has focused on dumb comedy and fanservice since it's actually done brilliantly here without relying on those things. Of course the dumber show elements are why I love it, but the confirmation of strong writing underneath is a joy to see.

Also is that character development I see Yukihira? Methinks there may be a bit more to the boy than raw talent after all.

I just want to mention that while i like New Game source material, it won't be another Shirobako unless the studio changes a lot of things. There will be trivia and info regarding video games work places, but it's more of an office comedy. Not to mention the art is moe as fuck, so it's probably not for everyone. There will be fanservice and a bit of yuri undertone (and belly button), so there's that.

Aaaaand I'm out lol. I would be willing to brush aside the moe if the show itself was in the same vein as Shirobako, that was both funny but also very informative. But then you add the fan service and the fact that it doesn't really focus on the industry itself and is more about the characters... yeah I'll skip it. It wasn't on my radar initially anyway I guess. But thanks!

Also is that character development I see Yukihira? Methinks there may be a bit more to the boy than raw talent after all.

Well Soma cooked with his dad, one of the best cooks in that school back in his day since he was 4 (I think they said it was 4) so that gives him what, 10-15 years of cooking experience depending on his age? I think it was all hard work and not just raw talent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fatherhood is a pretty popular anime plot but where are my motherhood animes? The only ones I can think of off hand are Wolf Children and Seirei no Moribito.

Oh, and Michiko to Hatchin.
There was that OVA episode of Otona Joshi where the woman slaps her daughter in the face. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom